PDA

View Full Version : Bush Orders an End to Hiring Columnists

ODShowtime
01-26-2005, 05:32 PM
Bush Orders an End to Hiring Columnists

2 hours, 18 minutes ago
White House - AP

By SIOBHAN McDONOUGH, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - President Bush on Wednesday ordered his Cabinet secretaries not to hire columnists to promote their agendas after disclosure that a second writer was paid to tout an administration initiative.

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20050126/thumb.mdmc10101261831.bush_mdmc101.jpg

The president said he expects his agency heads will "make sure that that practice doesn't go forward."

"All our Cabinet secretaries must realize that we will not be paying commentators to advance our agenda. Our agenda ought to be able to stand on its own two feet," Bush said at a news conference.

Bush's remarks came a day after syndicated columnist Maggie Gallagher apologized to readers for not disclosing a $21,500 contract with the Health and Human Services Department to help create materials promoting the agency's $300 million initiative to encourage marriage.

Bush also said the White House had been unaware that the Education Department paid commentator and columnist Armstrong Williams $240,000 to plug its policies. That contract came to light two weeks ago.

Bush said there "needs to be a nice independent relationship between the White House and the press, the administration and the press."

And he noted that "we have new leadership going into the Department of Education."

Education Secretary Margaret Spellings started this week, replacing first-term Education Secretary Rod Paige. Paige had ordered an investigation into whether Williams should have disclosed the deal to produce television and radio ads promoting the No Child Left Behind Act.

Williams has apologized, calling it a mistake in judgment to not disclose that he was being paid by the administration but insisting he broke no laws.

Gallagher apologized to readers in her column Tuesday, saying that she was not paid to promote marriage but "to produce particular research and writing products" — articles, brochures, presentations. "My lifelong experience in marriage research, public education and advocacy is the reason HHS hired me," she wrote.

She said it never occurred to her to tell readers about her work for the government. "I should have disclosed a government contract when I later wrote about the Bush marriage initiative. I would have, if I had remembered it. My apologies to my readers."

In 2002, Gallagher contributed to an essay promoting marriage that appeared in Crisis magazine under the byline of Wade Horn, HHS assistant secretary for children and families.

Horn said Wednesday Gallagher was never paid to promote the president's marriage initiative in her own columns.

"We hired her because of her expertise in the area of marriage research in order to draw upon that expertise to help us develop materials related to healthy marriage," he said, adding that Gallagher drafted brochures and helped draft the article published under his name.

"At no time was she paid to go outside of HHS and promote the president's healthy marriage initiative," he said. "The federal government hires experts all of the time. There's nothing insidious about that."

Gallagher got another $20,000 — part of which was approved while President Clinton was still in office — from a private organization called the National Fatherhood Initiative, using money from a Justice Department grant. For that 2001 grant, she wrote a report on the institution of marriage, entitled "Can Government Strengthen Marriage?"

On Wednesday a report released by the House Committee on Government Reform looked into the use of taxpayer dollars to fund public relations campaigns.

The Bush administration spent a record $88 million on government-funded public relations contracts in 2004 — a 128 percent increase over 2000, according to the report prepared for House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., and other Democrats.

Democratic Sens. Edward Kennedy of Massachusetts and Frank Lautenberg of New Jersey urged the investigative arm of Congress, the General Accountability Office, to expand its investigation of the Education Department's contract with Williams to include Health and Human Services and Gallagher.

Gallagher has testified twice before the Judiciary Committee in support of a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage without disclosing her contract with the government, the senators said in a letter to the U.S. Comptroller General David Walker.

"This abuse by HHS is just another in a long list of similar incidents of paid policy advocates supporting Bush Administration policies," the senators wrote.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050126/ap_on_go_pr_wh/bush_paid_columnists_4

He said some other stupid shit too. I'm sure you'll all hear about.

FORD
01-26-2005, 08:02 PM
Maggie Galagher..... wasn't that the chick reporter who got killed in Vietnam on the episode of Quantum Leap where Sam goes back to save his brother???

Great, now the BCE is naming their propagandists after fictional characters.

They would probably get Spongebob Squarepants his own show at FAUX next, except Shepard Smith probably wouldn't be able to keep his hands off of him.

ODShowtime
01-26-2005, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Maggie Galagher..... wasn't that the chick reporter who got killed in Vietnam on the episode of Quantum Leap where Sam goes back to save his brother???

Great, now the BCE is naming their propagandists after fictional characters.

No, she's real. Here's a tidbit of her nonsense:

LAURA BUSH: NEW TRADITIONALIST

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/nws/th/col-gallagher.jpg

Forty years after Betty Friedan's classic "The Feminist Mystique," Americans are still divided over what a woman should be.

New York Times columnist Maureen Dowd laments that being a rich, powerful and famous aging feminist is not enough: Powerful men, she complains, marry women in the lowly "service" professions.

Women, perhaps, such as Laura Bush? The former teacher and librarian first lady begins her husband's second term with a remarkable 85 percent approval rating. What is the secret to her remarkable appeal across the blue and red lines that divide us Americans?

I think it has something to do with the fact that Laura Bush is not a traditional wife; she's a new traditionalist wife. She gives us hope that there can be a sphere, outside the realms of politics, money and war, which matters. She embodies the truth that grace is a virtue: It takes a certain steely discipline not to be provoked -- by the media or (say) Mrs. Kerry -- into a catfight or a gaffe. She suggests that devotion is not subservience, caring is not weakness, that a woman can give herself as a wife and mother and not lose herself, but find her own path to making a difference. To be feminine and strong, caring and competent.

Laura Bush is no wallflower. In an interview with Parade magazine, Mrs. Bush sets "an ambitious and intriguing agenda" for the next term, one that plays to all her new traditionalist strengths, mixing the best of feminism with a bold unconcern for political correctness: women's health here at home, women's rights in Afghanistan (news - web sites) and Iraq (news - web sites), new research-based literacy programs for American high school students who can't read. And better education for boys.

Boys?

"I think we need to pay attention to boys," this mother of two daughters says. "I think we've paid a lot of attention to girls for the last 30 years, and we have this idea in the United States that boys can take care of themselves." Boys, she points out, are children, too. They need nurturing and care, like all children.

Last week, Harvard President Larry Summers spoke at a research conference on why relatively few women advance in math, engineering and science in academia. He provoked a firestorm by suggesting that (among other reasons) there just may be biological differences in the average mathematical ability between the genders. Nancy Hopkins, an MIT biology professor walked out in a huff. "It was so upsetting that all these brilliant young women (at Harvard) are being led by a man who views them this way." Fortunately for the reputation of women scientists, Denice Denton of the University of California, although equally offended, stayed to dispute the view based on her own reading of the scientific evidence.

Meanwhile, nobody asked the real question: Why the focus on women? Perhaps I missed the important research conference where the president of Harvard gathered with other similar lights to discuss how universities are failing boys. For the overwhelming evidence is that if schools -- including colleges and universities -- are failing one gender, it is boys.

Today, nearly 2 million more women than men attend college. "The gender gap is wide and getting wider, and the problem isn't limited to college," Paul Smolarcik of the Business Roundtable told the New York Post. "Males are falling behind females at every level of education, from elementary school on up."

In 1970, there were only 68 women in college for every 100 men. Today, there are almost 130 women for every 100 men enrolled in college. In the next decade, 143 women will receive bachelor's degrees for every 100 men who do so.

Laura Bush is an educator. She knows that if rates of substance abuse, delinquency, violence and school failure are any indicator, it's boys our society is currently failing. And these days, it takes a strong woman to say so.

(Readers may reach Maggie Gallagher at MaggieBox2004@yahoo.com.)

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=115&ncid=758&e=2&u=/ucmg/20050119/cm_ucmg/laurabushnewtraditionalist

LoungeMachine
01-26-2005, 11:46 PM
Naturally, no one's head will roll for this fuck up either

No one will be assigned blame

No one will lose their job

But The Shrub gonna make damn sure they aint doin it no more

[at least not so overtly ]

ELVIS
01-27-2005, 03:51 AM
Tell me, my delusional brothers...

Just what conspiracy are you reading into this ??

LoungeMachine
01-27-2005, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by ELVIS

The Bush admin. has been spending OUR tax dollars paying "journalists" and other shills to promote their program and agendas without either party disclosing the FACTS.

Lift the wool you sheep.

Not even YOU could justify this:rolleyes:

Nickdfresh
01-27-2005, 08:15 AM

"Nothing really! Evyding ist just fine ven zie state muntnipulates und cuntrols za media! Ich like dis very much, ya."
http://www.xenu.net/archive/photoalbum/propaganda/7.jpg

ODShowtime
01-27-2005, 09:02 AM

Well, I was posting it more for gw speaking out than for the Gallahger crap. The gov't should be paying experts for their... uh, expertise. I can think of a couple situations where I wish they did more of this. But she still should have disclosed it.

Man, this bitch was on O'Reilly last night and he had her quivering like a bowl of jello. :D He was really hitting her hard about the appearance of integrity, which made me think about him...