PDA

View Full Version : Only in CALI

Fabulous Shadow
01-27-2005, 04:22 PM
Murder Charges for Suspect in Train Crash

By ROBERT JABLON, Associated Press Writer

GLENDALE, Calif. - The suicidal man who authorities say caused the chain-reaction train derailment that killed 11 people has been charged with multiple counts of murder and could face the death penalty, the district attorney said Thursday.

Juan Manuel Alvarez, 25, left his sport utility vehicle on a railroad track Wednesday after changing his mind about committing suicide, authorities said. He was held without bail at a hospital's jail ward after apparently slitting his own wrists and stabbing himself in the chest.

In addition to the 11 dead, nearly 200 people were injured. The last person reported missing was accounted-for Thursday and firefighters ended recovery efforts. All but one of the dead had been identified.

Los Angeles County District Attorney Steve Cooley said prosecutors filed charges late Wednesday for 10 counts of murder with "special circumstances" of committing murder through a train derailment. Cooley stressed however that the case were still being evaulated. Under state law, special circumstances allegations could make a defendant eligible for the death penalty.

Cooley said the complaint would be amended to add another count to refer to the 11th victim, found in the wreckage late Wednesday night. And he said the defendant's suicidal intent didn't make any difference to him.

"He's not going to engage my sympathy because he was despondent. His despondency doesn't move me," the district attorney told The Associated Press.

Arraignment was initially planned for Thursday afternoon but was put off until Friday because of Alvarez's medical condition.

Alvarez, 25, got out of his green Jeep Cherokee before the two commuter trains crashed Wednesday morning in this Los Angeles suburb. He stood by as the gruesome chain-reaction wreck scattered wreckage and bodies over a quarter-mile of track.

The SUV was stuck between tracks away from a crossing and once there, he could not have moved it even if he had tried, Metrolink CEO David Solow said. The southbound train that struck it bolted skyward, hit a parked Union Pacific railcar, then clipped the northbound train.

Sheriff Lee Baca said Thursday on CBS' "The Early Show" that "Alvarez was rather astounded himself as to what the outcome was" when the train hit the vehicle.

The crash was the worst U.S. rail tragedy since March 15, 1999, when an Amtrak train hit a truck and derailed near Bourbonnais, Ill., killing 11 people and injuring more than 100.

"I hope that we're able to assess this in a way that we can figure out: Is there a way that we can stop one crazed individual from creating this kind of carnage?" Los Angeles Mayor James Hahn told reporters.

Among the two women and nine men killed was a Los Angeles County sheriff's deputy on his way to work. About two dozen people were hospitalized in critical condition.

Glendale Fire Chief Christopher Gray said early Thursday that authorities were still actively looking for a 12th person who remained missing.

Alvarez's estranged wife, Carmelita Alvarez, had ordered him out of her home months ago, her family said, and in December she obtained a temporary restraining order keeping him away from her, their 3-year-old son and other family members.

"He is using drugs and has been in and out of rehab twice," she said in asking for the restraining order. "He threatened to take our kid away and to hurt my family members." She said he was "planning on selling his vehicle to buy a gun and threatened to use it."

Carmelita Alvarez, who lives in a converted garage behind her sister's home in suburban Compton, also told the court her husband had threatened to seek revenge on people he suspected of introducing her to another man. She said his drug use was triggering hallucinations.

She went into seclusion shortly after the crash.

"Whether we make any comment right now depends on my sister," her brother, Ruben Ochoa, told The Associated Press outside the family home on Wednesday. "We're not commenting right now."

The crash victims included several public employees, including Los Angeles County sheriff's Deputy James Tutino, 47, whose flag-draped body was saluted by law enforcement officers and firefighters as it was carried from the wreckage.

The force of the collision, which happened about 6 a.m., hurled passengers down the trains' aisles.

"I heard a noise. It got louder and louder," said Diane Brady, 56, of Simi Valley. "And next thing I knew the train tilted, everyone was screaming and I held onto a pole for dear life. I held on for what seemed like a week and a half, it seemed. It was a complete nightmare."

First on the scene were workers at a Costco store next to the tracks, who helped remove some of the injured in shopping carts. Uninjured passengers also joined the rescue effort.

Costco employee Hugo Moran said an elderly man, covered in blood and soot and with apparently broken arms and legs, was pulled out of the wreckage but died soon after. Before he died, he thanked his rescuers and asked them to pray for him.

Another trapped man had used his own blood to write a note on a seat bottom. Using the heart symbol, he wrote "I love my kids" and "I love Leslie."

The man's identity wasn't known, but Los Angeles Fire Department spokesman Capt. Rex Vilaubi said he was removed from the wreckage alive.

Early Thursday, another suicidal man was arrested in Orange County after he parked his sport utility vehicle on railroad tracks, said Irvine police Cmdr. Dave Freedland. He drove off after he was spotted by police, and a dispatcher talked him out of suicide during a cell phone call, authorities said. Freedland declined to say if the incident was considered a copycat crime.

He decides he wants to live afterall while 11others did not have a choice but to die. I hope he rotts in hell!

distortion9
01-27-2005, 04:25 PM
Selfish cocksucker....ever hear of a gun?!

Fabulous Shadow
01-27-2005, 04:42 PM
I think he did, he just couldn't afford one! JACKASS!

Mezro
01-27-2005, 05:07 PM
He could have just wrapped a wet tortilla around his head and been done with it.

Mezro...this asshole needs the state to finish his suicide for him...

Fabulous Shadow
01-27-2005, 05:55 PM
It was just CRAZY out here yesterday. This caused mass hysteria on the Ca Highways. Like LA isn't congested enough. So many people ride the Metros that everyone here was worried if someone they knew was on it. I swear to Christ! I hope this guy DOESN"T get the death penalty. Letting him live is better punishment for this twerp! He want's to die but isn't man ENOUGH TO FOLLOW THROUGH.

CROWBAR
01-27-2005, 06:00 PM
.....only in Cali......

BigBadBrian
01-28-2005, 01:36 PM
CA needs to fucking consider mass transit below or above grade like OTHER AREAS! :gulp:

blonddgirl777
03-27-2005, 05:46 PM
Only in Cali...

I've lived in Oakland Ca. and one day, my friend told me to clean up the clutter around my entrence door...
Apparently, a burgler once brought to court a home owner for tripping and injuring himself, trying to steel inside the man's house!
AND HE WAN!!!
... Make room for the thiefs!...

Now living in Canada, I tend to be careful to those things, in fear that our laws could be fucked up as well...???

Rikk
03-27-2005, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by blonddgirl777
Only in Cali...

I've lived in Oakland Ca. and one day, my friend told me to clean up the clutter around my entrence door...
Apparently, a burgler once brought to court a home owner for tripping and injuring himself, trying to steel inside the man's house!
AND HE WAN!!!
... Make room for the thiefs!...

Now living in Canada, I tend to be careful to those things, in fear that our laws could be fucked up as well...???

LMFAO!!!:D

If you're gonna start digging up old threads, "newbie", at least be honest about who you are. MAX and I have the motherload of proof. Why live the farce out? Why did you PM someone and say "Hey, it's really me...G" the other day if you're some new poster that doesn't see fit to ever talk about DAVID LEE ROTH and knows all the features of this site?