PDA

View Full Version : The Doors of the 21st Century: are they touring this summer or anytime soon?

Marlowe01
01-27-2005, 07:01 PM
Does anyone know the answer to this question? Have you even heard any RUMOURS about a tour this spring or summer or fall? Please fill me in on whatever information you have

DLR7884
01-27-2005, 07:05 PM
I was wondering that myself.

Last I heard about them was some shows that were planned for last spring.

DLR7884
Take note Queen: they didn't use the same name and you can smoke at their concerts!

blueturk
01-28-2005, 11:28 AM
Fuck "The Doors". Anybody who would let Scott "I wish Jim Morrison was alive so I could suck his dick" Stapp sing with them SUCKS.

DLR7884
01-28-2005, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by blueturk
Fuck "The Doors". Anybody who would let Scott "I wish Jim Morrison was alive so I could suck his dick" Stapp sing with them SUCKS.

I though Ian Astbury was going to be the singer?

Why in the fuck would they want Scott Stapp?

DLR7884
?

blueturk
01-28-2005, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by DLR7884
I though Ian Astbury was going to be the singer?

Why in the fuck would they want Scott Stapp?

DLR7884
?
They let Scotty sing "Riders On The Storm" with them about 4 years ago.I know Ian Astbury will be the singer for this tour, but letting Stapp record with them is unforgivable. BTW, Scotty mimicked Jim's voice quite accurately. Much the same way he mimicks Eddie Vedder.
For your enjoyment, here's a picture of Greed trying to look like the Doors (wonder whose idea THAT was?). Thank God these idiots broke up. Now maybe Stapp will fade away like the no-talent piece of shit that he is.

DLR7884
01-28-2005, 12:51 PM
Scott Stapp=ball licker.

DLR7884
He sucks, and he's cocky.....bad combo.

David Lee Rocks
01-30-2005, 02:44 AM
without Jim Morrison there is NO Doors

Marlowe01
01-30-2005, 09:26 PM
It's still worth shelling out money for, in my book. All 4 of those guys were/are intellectual AND musical genuises. It's 3/4 of the Doors...you can't really beat that.

DLR7884
01-31-2005, 09:58 AM
I'd only go see them if Ian Astbury were singing.

DLR7884
Nobody else, unless they dig up Morrison or find him alive somewhere.

Marlowe01
04-10-2005, 02:36 PM
Astbury IS singing for them currently and he will be this summer. Scott Stapp just sang Riders on the Storm for the tribute album. Nothing more. They would never EVER let Stapp sing for them.

DlocRoth
04-10-2005, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by David Lee Rocks
without Jim Morrison there is NO Doors

Yep, what he said.:sleepy:

New material, new name, then maybe.

Cuz true, the rythm section aint bad I say.

Hardrock69
04-10-2005, 10:40 PM
When I heard the Cult for the very first time, I thought Morrison had risen from the grave, as he sounds just like him.

I had thought for years that it would be cool if Ian sang with
the Doors. I just wish they would come here to play....

Grant
04-14-2005, 03:04 AM
I saw the 21st Century Doors back in February - great show!

Ian Astbury filled Jim's shoes perfectly (almost as good as Val Kilmer) and they played most of their hits and lesser known songs. Stuart Copeland dropped out and they had a proper rock drummer to fill in which didn't quite fit in with the music, at least not Densmore's style. Kreiger did a good 10 minutes or so on the flamenco guitar before kicking into "Spanish Caravan". Manzarek has still got it on the keyboards and made his typical statements like, "We're sorry for Mr Bush" and blabbered about his experiences with LSD. Astbury dedicated "People Are Strange" to the late Michael Hutchence saying he was a close friend of his and got the crowd working on the lyrics "Mr Mojo Risin'" for "LA Woman" saying to everyone "This is for Jim!"

Overall, a great show since it's close to being the real thing.

DlocRoth
04-14-2005, 11:24 AM
How can it be the real thing when the singer is TRYING to whip the crowd into a frenzy by using a dead guy's legend?

"This one's for the gipper!"

I dont even love the doors. I like em.

But sir, NOBODY is fillin Mojo's shoes. Let alone perfectly.

Here ya go.

:monekyl: Ian Astbury:monekyr:

Go sing yer own songs!!

I'd rather hear Hutchence sing that shit.

bueno bob
04-14-2005, 02:12 PM
I've seen them performing on TV w/ Astbury twice, and I thought they put in good performances both times. If they did a U.S. jaunt, I'd be interested in going just for the experience. It's not Morrison, but fuck it, Morrison was dead before I was born anyway and how else am I going to experience The Doors material live outside of some dipshit local band that wants to play "Light My Fire" at the bar Friday night?

Having Astbury there is a fairly decent fit - he sounds like a close approximation to Jim. Looks like him. Definitely was influenced by him. I don't see it as The Doors pissing all over their legacy, so to speak, not in the same school that Van Hagar's done it, I see it more as Ray and Robbie's way of giving the younger generation something that they never would have been able to experience any other way. I don't see any harm in it.

Moreover, maybe it'll finally drag Jim off of his island so that we can actually HAVE a real Doors reunion in a few years. Anything's possible... :)

Did anybody else read that book by Manzarek?

Marlowe01
04-14-2005, 04:26 PM
I completely agree with bueno bob on that one. My sentiments exactly.

DlocRoth
04-14-2005, 04:38 PM
Man, I don't know.

If ya want to see a Doors cover band, go to a bar and pay 5 bucks, not to the local arena and pay 50.......

I'm not a musician, but I cant see payin that dough to see Manzarek stroke his ego. The dudes glad Jim's dead cuz now he can get a word in. Thats all he does. Every show is like storytellers.....

Well ol Jim used to say... blah blah blah.

IMO of course. :)

bueno bob
04-15-2005, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by DlocRoth
Man, I don't know.

If ya want to see a Doors cover band, go to a bar and pay 5 bucks, not to the local arena and pay 50.......

I'm not a musician, but I cant see payin that dough to see Manzarek stroke his ego. The dudes glad Jim's dead cuz now he can get a word in. Thats all he does. Every show is like storytellers.....

Well ol Jim used to say... blah blah blah.

IMO of course. :)

Well, I myself kinda like that idea. I mean, it's better than Spam Halen pretending that David Lee Roth never existed, as they've done since 1986...you gotta give 'em that much credit.

twonabomber
04-15-2005, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by DlocRoth

I'd rather hear Hutchence sing that shit.

uh...he's dead, too.

bueno bob
04-15-2005, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by twonabomber
uh...he's dead, too.

Maybe Mike and Jim are on the same island together, both faked their deaths?

A reunited original lineup Inxs opening up for the original lineup of The Doors would be a kick ass concert!

I don't want to even think about the ticket prices, though...sheesh...

Rikk
04-15-2005, 02:24 AM
Yeah, the original INXS were a great group. (Nowhere near as brilliant or even on the same page as THE DOORS, though...;).)

bueno bob
04-15-2005, 02:43 AM
Well, yeah, that goes without saying, but it's true; the original Inxs had some stellar shit in their catalog, I loved their stuff.

Rikk
04-15-2005, 03:13 AM
Originally posted by bueno bob
Well, yeah, that goes without saying, but it's true; the original Inxs had some stellar shit in their catalog, I loved their stuff.

The LISTEN LIKE THIEVES album was their best. But they also had a later single I thought was a masterpiece called BEAUTIFUL GIRL.

DlocRoth
04-15-2005, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by twonabomber
uh...he's dead, too.

That was my point. To just let it go.

Although, yeah, Eddie shoulda got Ralph after Dave left.

That would have been HI-larious.

Ralph "Ripper" Saenz

DlocRoth
04-15-2005, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Rikk
The LISTEN LIKE THIEVES album was their best. But they also had a later single I thought was a masterpiece called BEAUTIFUL GIRL.

INXS was the shit!

Definately underrated in the grand scheme of things.

They dont get enough credit.