PDA

View Full Version : why were ALAE and YFLY deleted?

bigc
01-30-2005, 01:29 PM
ok Im sure its been talked about before, and Im sorry for potentially raising a topic discussed more often than how the demise of the mcdonalds supersize has caused sammy hagar clinical depression, but why were ALAE and YFLY deleted? what was the reasoning behind it? was it ever explained. it just seems bizarre to me that it was. because so many shit band shit CDs, or good bands shit CD's(a la the Elder/KISS), are readily available, and these 2 classics arent

over here in the UK i wasnt really aware of dave at the time. just I know I had to get my copies of the two albums off ebay...altho i got a sealed copy of YFLY for about £3:D

spmusicplyr
01-30-2005, 03:19 PM
YFLY, as you put it, sold 64,000 copies according to the life after van halen video. I think it is a weak album.

ALAE, dont know...went gold...dont know much about it after that except that it fuckin rocked

bigc
01-30-2005, 04:41 PM
oops. YLFM. YLFL sold zilch..lol

ALAE does rock.I love it!

DavidLeeNatra
01-30-2005, 06:13 PM
ALAE is a solid rock album with some great tunes and good bluesy vibe ... and again ... and again... YFLM is an underrated masterpiece :D

spmusicplyr
01-30-2005, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
ALAE is a solid rock album with some great tunes and good bluesy vibe ... and again ... and again... YFLM is an underrated masterpiece :D

You know, i do like some of the songs on YFLM. I think Numbers 1,2,5,7,9, and the last are good. 9 and the last are the 2 versions of Youre Breathin It. NYC Urban remix is awesome to bob your head to. What i dont like is the way daves voice sounded compared to ALAE 4 years before. It sounds more nasal, pinched and constricted. I think the 'new octave' really ruined some songs that could have been slammin had he just sang them in a comfortable octave range. Nobody start screamin about daves voice, i think diamond dave sounded better than DLRband and YFLM put together.

Weak?. My bad choice of words. I think what more clearly describes YFLM is "close, but no cigar"

spmusicplyr
01-30-2005, 10:08 PM
i was reading daves autobiography last night and he said at that time, 1994, he was so disgusted with putting together a band....he hated his band, and hated all of the people that would audition after becker because they would play all of EVH's songs note for note, look up at dave for his response, and dave would be like, "just get the fuck out"....

Calderone
01-31-2005, 08:16 AM
" ....he hated his band, and hated all of the people that would audition after becker because they would play all of EVH's songs note for note, look up at dave for his response, and dave would be like, "just get the fuck out".... "

why he got Brian Young ??????

Bad Muthafucker
01-31-2005, 09:14 AM
Warner Brothers ASSHOLES discontinued ALAE and YFLM because after the whole reunion-gone-bust fiasco of '96, they sided with the Van Fuckface brothers. Warner Brothers sided with them because when Van Fuckfaces wanted to make a video for "Me Wise Magic" which relegated Dave to being nothing more than an image on a screen in the background while the band jammed in the foreground, Dave said, "No". It was Dave who refused to do the video, which could have potentially made Warner Brothers more money, so Warner Brothers viewed that as "Dave cost us money" and retaliated by discontinuing 2 of his albums. The fucking pricks.

Jérôme Frenchise
01-31-2005, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by bad_muthafucker
Warner Brothers ASSHOLES discontinued ALAE and YFLM because after the whole reunion-gone-bust fiasco of '96, they sided with the Van Fuckface brothers. Warner Brothers sided with them because when Van Fuckfaces wanted to make a video for "Me Wise Magic" which relegated Dave to being nothing more than an image on a screen in the background while the band jammed in the foreground, Dave said, "No". It was Dave who refused to do the video, which could have potentially made Warner Brothers more money, so Warner Brothers viewed that as "Dave cost us money" and retaliated by discontinuing 2 of his albums. The fucking pricks.

Yeah, sure, it's a strange world... Real bastards get all the best while nice folks "shall inherit shit"...
ALAE is a monstrous fiesta. Dave's best album, to me.

YFLM is a very good record, as an average Dave album is very good in a general point of view. I personally bought it twice. But I read about his reluctance to making it too, which can be understood: the album was too much of a carryall.
Let's say it's weak for Diamond, but how many bands would love to have recorded it?:cool:

spmusicplyr
01-31-2005, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Calderone
" ....he hated his band, and hated all of the people that would audition after becker because they would play all of EVH's songs note for note, look up at dave for his response, and dave would be like, "just get the fuck out".... "

why he got Brian Young ??????

well at the time i beleive he was looking to create a different band from VH, more of a solo status, where now he just sings all of his old stuff, so in 2003 he needed a brian young and in 1993 he didnt.

bigc
01-31-2005, 06:16 PM
this is something I dont get in the big world of music

The Elder by Kiss you can still buy.(Paul Stanley singing im just a boy still sends shudders down my spine)

yet you cant buy ALAE!

crazy

why did they keep EEAM and Skyscraper out then?

DLR_EngineRoom
01-31-2005, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by bigc
ok Im sure its been talked about before, and Im sorry for potentially raising a topic discussed more often than how the demise of the mcdonalds supersize has caused sammy hagar clinical depression, but why were ALAE and YFLY deleted? what was the reasoning behind it? was it ever explained. it just seems bizarre to me that it was. because so many shit band shit CDs, or good bands shit CD's(a la the Elder/KISS), are readily available, and these 2 classics arent

over here in the UK i wasnt really aware of dave at the time. just I know I had to get my copies of the two albums off ebay...altho i got a sealed copy of YFLY for about £3:D

With the help of the internet and/or used CD stores, getting a copy of either of those masterpieces shouldn't be too hard....

edvanheineken
01-31-2005, 11:31 PM
I'm a huge DLR solo fan. As a matter of fact, I got into solo Dave before getting into CVH. I had to purchase both ALAE and YFLM off of ebay. They were both sealed, but had the cut-out hole on the jewel case. I have posted my feelings on this before, but here it is again. In todays MP3 world, NO FUCKING ALBUM SHOULD BE TAKEN OOP!!! Even if it sells 3 copies a year. Why the fuck would you take a solid gold album like ALAE out of print. It probably should be certified Plat anyway. The least those WB fuckers could do is make the entire album available for download on itunes,etc. The same is true about YFLM. It was an experimental album. Personally, I enjoyed YFLM. I took it for what it was. Dave was trying to find a market and to explore his diversity as an artist. Many talented musicians got the axe during the 90s. Dave losing Billy Sheehan and Steve Vai didn't help the situation. In my humble opinion, Dave's career really started to run into problems with Skyscraper. He should never have gone the route he did. It cost him Billy and a few years later he lost Vai. Jason Becker could have been great, but the LS took hold of him too early. On that note, I love ALAE, but I feel that Dave should have written a few more tunes with Jason. Drop in The Bucket is a highlight for me. This is coming from someone who owns all of Dave's album except for Diamond Dave. BTW, that's my next album! It is a sad fact, fellow Dave fans, but Dave has ZERO marketability at this moment. Even if he released the album of his life, without major overhaul and support from a large label, he wouldn't sell anything. A reunion with VH would be the only solution to Dave's career. The other day I went music shopping and I looked to see if Dave had any shelf space in the stores. Would you believe me if I told you that not a single store I visited carried a single DLR album!???! This included Best Buy. That's right, not even EEAS!!!! What the fuck!

DavidLeeNatra
02-01-2005, 04:01 AM
Originally posted by edvanheineken
The other day I went music shopping and I looked to see if Dave had any shelf space in the stores. Would you believe me if I told you that not a single store I visited carried a single DLR album!???! This included Best Buy. That's right, not even EEAS!!!! What the fuck!

same over here with the whole van halen catalog...if...and that's a big IF... if you find any van halen cd's in a store they are placed in the "various V-artists" selection...and it's 1984 and VHI...even the BOBW is nowhere to find...

spmusicplyr
02-01-2005, 05:12 AM
oh you can find eeas, skyscraper and the best at record stores in los angeles.

skyscraper lost billy, vai too. funny because vai was co producer.
DLR says that steve vai hated 'just like paradise' even though it was one of their most popular songs. i never knew, but that song was written most entirely by brett tuggle.

i think vai is a decent guitarist but i think he was akward for the whole DLR scene, zappa was a more appropriate fit for him, and i have no idea why he was in whitesnake.

spmusicplyr
02-01-2005, 05:15 AM
call it overproduced.....i like skyscraper a whole lot more than EEAS....the only 3 songs i like on EEAS are yankee rose, goin crazy and thats life.

skyscraper is totally original, different. More pop, yes. But 1984 was poppish too...so what. it sold over 10 million albums. Sounds dated? fuck yes. But just like paradise was the best song to cruise to when i was driving around in my 1989 iroc-z convertable...haha a total time warp.

Now, doesnt this car just SCREAM DLR '89? :) (or tony soprano! blasting CHV)

DavidLeeNatra
02-01-2005, 05:19 AM
first of all...the car screams "resize me" !!!

spmusicplyr
02-01-2005, 06:38 AM
yea im not good at that stuff

hard rock
03-29-2005, 07:37 AM
A buddy of mine who works for Warner Canada has told me before that if we all call up our local record stores or if we all go on the web sites and try to purchase ALAE and YFLM.

What will happen is retailers will see hey there is a demand for this stuff. they then contact their suppliers and distributers who then contact the record company.

If Warner thinks they can make some money on a recent increase in interest they may re print them. Maybe even remaster them.

We need to all do our part by calling up , going on the web or when you are near a store walk in and play stupid. Pretend you dont know its oop and ask if they can order it in. They will take note whenever money is there to be made.

Panamark
03-29-2005, 08:11 AM
So is DLRBAND still in circulation ??

hard rock
03-29-2005, 08:21 AM
No Dlr is out of print as well. Sad to say Diamond Dave will go that way soon. The issue with both those albums is that they were released on small labels. They tend to go out of buisness and unless someone else picks up the rights they are no where to be found.

I heard rumours a while back that Sanctuary was looking to aquire the rights to ALAE, YFLM and DLR???? dont know if its true or not.

In my opinion if Warner does not want to put them out then sell the rights and make a few bucks and let someone who does want to put them out go ahead and do it.

nosuchluck
03-29-2005, 12:11 PM
even if Vai and the rest of the EEAS line-up don't reunite, i don't see why Vai can't buy the rights to DLR's albums and release them under his label...

academic punk
03-29-2005, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by bad_muthafucker

ABSOLUTELY CORRECT.

academic punk
03-29-2005, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by nosuchluck
even if Vai and the rest of the EEAS line-up don't reunite, i don't see why Vai can't buy the rights to DLR's albums and release them under his label...

Vai recently had an "essential" collection released. he had contacted dave to get permission for the use of "Shyboy". Apparently, the fee Dave requested made it completely unfeasible.

So I don't think there's much good will in either camp for the other.

nosuchluck
03-29-2005, 12:17 PM
ah ok. i wasn't aware of that...

DavidLeeNatra
03-29-2005, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by academic punk
Vai recently had an "essential" collection released. he had contacted dave to get permission for the use of "Shyboy". Apparently, the fee Dave requested made it completely unfeasible.

So I don't think there's much good will in either camp for the other.

never heard about that...where did you read that, AP?

academic punk
03-29-2005, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
never heard about that...where did you read that, AP?

Interview with Vai to prmote its release. The question the interviewer posed was the lack of any David Lee Roth material.

My (very uneduacted guess) is that maybe back in 96-98 Dave tried to unite the Yankee Rose band, and Vai declined. Again, I have no idea for sure. For all I know, Dave's management did the whole thing, and Dave isn't even aware to this day. Unlikely, but not impossible.

dave_is_vh
03-29-2005, 09:56 PM
[i] have no idea why he was in whitesnake. [/B]

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

dave_is_vh
03-29-2005, 09:58 PM
YFLM almost went gold.
ALAE almost went platinum.

Three Lock Rock
04-02-2005, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by bigc

they were deleted because THEY SUCK.

got it?

three lock rock

david who?

edvanheineken
04-02-2005, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Three Lock Rock
they were deleted because THEY SUCK.

got it?

three lock rock

david who?

Dave will never match Not4Sale buddy! :D 'cause indeed it never did sell! You seem to like the word suck! Given the caps and all. Don't let us stand in your way fag!!! Find a donkey and milk some! Who are you anyway? You've got to be that cock LSD in camouflage! Or maybe a close cousin! Now go slurp it you fuck.

DavidLeeNatra
04-02-2005, 05:43 PM
ALAE is a classic album, better than skyscraper IMO...in germany you don't even have a "van halen" section in record stores anymore...you only find them (and you only find VHI and 1984) in the varios "V" artists-section...

Big Troubles
04-02-2005, 05:51 PM
another great post! :stupid:

Big Troubles
04-02-2005, 05:52 PM
lol sorry. that was intended for the mental case 3 locked crotch. :D

DavidLeeNatra
04-02-2005, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by Big Troubles
lol sorry. that was intended for the mental case 3 locked crotch. :D

lol...who do you think is that fake-cabo-man?

Big Troubles
04-02-2005, 06:13 PM
i recognise the wording...but damn... If I had to guess...? General Hina or L.S.D or one of our own residents stirring the pot instead of smoking it with us. :D

Big Troubles
04-02-2005, 06:14 PM
you know? I think BS1 knows who it is.

DavidLeeNatra
04-02-2005, 06:20 PM
L.S.D. ... god, that sheep was funny...