PDA

View Full Version : Terror Has Been Defeated Says Iraq PM

ELVIS
01-31-2005, 01:27 PM
January 31, 2005 (http://uk.news.yahoo.com/050131/140/fbfgf.html)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39482000/jpg/_39482569_allawi150.jpg

Iraq's interim leader has called on the country to unite following the weekend's historic elections and says terrorists have been defeated.Speaking in a televised address for the first time since the election, Interim Prime Minister Ayd Allawi said: "I call upon those who cast their ballot and those who did not to unite.

"The terrorists have been defeated."

Votes cast in Iraq's first democratic elections for half a century are being counted today as officials estimated at least 60% of Iraqis defied militant violence to go to the polls.

Earlier Prime Minister Tony Blair said the elections had dealt "a blow to the heart of global terrorism", while US president George Bush hailed them as "a resounding success".

Foriegn Scretary Jack Straw said the elections were a blow against the violence and intimidation carried out by the insurgents.

He said the elections "went better" than many had anticipated.

But voting took place against a backdrop of violence and bloodshed, with at least 44 people killed by a string of suicide bombs and an unknown number of British troops killed when an RAF Hercules transport plane crashed north of Baghdad.

Iraqi election officials said turn-out among the 14 million eligible voters appeared higher than the 57% that had been predicted, while United Nations officials described the process as "representative and fair".

The Shia-dominated south and Kurdish north hailed the election as a spectacular success, claiming a turnout of as high as 70%.

But these relatively peaceful areas proved a stark contrast to the rebel towns of Fallujah and Ramadi, where violence stopped all attempts at polling.

In a brief statement at 10 Downing Street, Mr Blair said: "Democracy in Iraq is not just good for Iraq itself. It is also a blow right to the heart of the global terrorism that threatens destruction not just in Iraq but in Britain and virtually every major country around the world."

Speaking at the White House within hours of polling stations closing, Mr Bush said: "The world is hearing the voice of freedom from the centre of the Middle East.

"In great numbers and in great risk, Iraqis have shown their commitment to democracy."

Polling officials counted ballot papers into the night and delivered them by armed guard to regional centres. The papers will be sent on for recounting in the capital.

It is still unclear when final results will be declared, with some estimating it could be weeks until those elected to the new 275-member national assembly are named.

The assembly will draft new laws and pave the way for further elections in December, when the people will decide on a fully constitutional government.

:elvis:

ELVIS
01-31-2005, 01:33 PM
What's even more amazing is the lack of reports of disinfranchized voters for reasons such as "standing in line too long", as there was in Ohio...

Hahaha...

These people literally risked their lives in the name of freedom...

God Bless the good people of Iraq!

:elvis:

Cathedral
01-31-2005, 01:54 PM
In time, in time...

Defeated? Not yet.
But they aren't afraid of them that's for sure. they challenged possible bombs, bullets, beheading, etc. to cast their votes.

Some of those Iraqi Guards are US Grade-A Soldier material, but others, most others, are pretty heavy footed.

They'll be alright though, and the process should begin moving a little quicker, shortly. They want us out, but they have a lot to learn first, it's up to them basically.

ELVIS
01-31-2005, 01:58 PM
Well, they clearly have the idea...

Cathedral
01-31-2005, 02:11 PM
Well, soon there will be some changes that will befall our own nation that could make us appreciate what we really have going for us right now, but only after we've lost it all; some of us along with it.

The enemy never sleeps!

knuckleboner
01-31-2005, 03:29 PM
nope, not defeated just yet.

the "terrorists" are really more rebels (using terrorism, no doubt). they want control of iraq. period.

they might not have stopped the elections, but i'm guessing they don't quit just yet. kill a few of the elected officials. a few more police station and iraqi guard bombings. they can still foster a civil war.

the iraqi government has to be established on firm footing, with the continued backing of the iraqis, before the jackasses have actually lost.

will take a few more years, at a minimium.

that said, the election was a battle won. it doesn't mean the war is over, but it is a positive step. (with many more necessary...)

FORD
01-31-2005, 03:30 PM
OK then.... "terror" is defeated, which I'm assuming means that CIA puppet Allawi is assured of his own "election".

Fine then, they said it, so send home the troops, all of them, now.

AND FUCKING LEAVE THEM HOME. No Iran, No Syria, no more bullshit wars for corporations and the Likud party.

FUCK THE PNAC AGENDA.

Nickdfresh
01-31-2005, 10:33 PM
And the Iranians are somewhat victorious. The Mullahs only like elections when they bring fellow Shias to power in a neigboring country they were once at war with.

ELVIS
01-31-2005, 10:37 PM
I like how all of the sudden, Americans are experts regarding Mullahs and Shias, and the like, when we have countless problems here on our own soil...

Hahahahaha...:)

Nickdfresh
01-31-2005, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
I like how all of the sudden, Americans are experts regarding Mullahs and Shias, and the like, when we have countless problems here on our own soil...

Hahahahaha...:)

Good point! Why the fuck are we in Iraq!? ;) :rolleyes:

kentuckyklira
02-01-2005, 07:23 AM
Some people are prepared to believe anything.

Be prepared to eat your words in a few months time!

Sgt Schultz
02-01-2005, 10:24 AM
بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

Greetings friends,

What we have witnessed is something amazing. I am an Iraqi and a Baghdadi and should know, and deep down in my heart I knew; yet I must admit that I did not expect all this. The common Iraqi citizen has taken all by surprise, including those of us who are indigenous to this land.

It was expected that relatively secure areas in the South and North were going to see heavy turnout. Yet Baghdad; subjected to a terrorist and intimidation campaign of unprecedented scale and cruelty; Baghdad, deprived of electricity, fuel and lately even water( which is more dangerous than anything else); Baghdad, that lacks security, where the citizens face mortal danger every moment of their daily life; Baghdad, where life has almost ground to a standstill; that citizens of this Baghdad should line up at polling stations braving very real dangers, with mortars raining down and scores of suicide bombers sent out to blow up people, and moreover that many even brought their children: this Baghdad was a revelation even to Baghdadis.

There were amazing scenes; not very likely to seen anywhere else. There were acts of heroism. Abdul Amir Kadhim, saw a man whom he suspected to be a suicide bomber, he threw himself on the man before he could get to the waiting line of people; and sure there was an explosion and this young man gave his life to save the others. Prime Minister Allawi paid tribute to this heroism. At one station there was a suicide attack and several people fell; when people of the neighborhood heard of this, the waiting line suddenly swelled to three times in size; people rushed out of their homes and came running to wait in line; it was their way to express their defiance and anger at this crime. The examples of bravery and courage are too numerous to recount. People took courage from each other, as people came out others watched and did not want to be left out. It was something incredible to watch. Yes this was a historic day, a day to remember until our dying day. With one stroke, in a single day, the silent majority spoke and answered all the pundits and doubters, and those who spoke on their behalf. Yet we have been telling you this all along; we have been telling you ever since this blogging movement started. Do you now see that we were not representing minority views, that we were not some CIA agents trying to make propaganda?

I find it difficult right know to write coherently; I just want to convey to you some of the tremendous feelings overwhelming my soul now.

As for some of the Arab scum and other detractors, they are appearing on TV screens looking like they have just swallowed a cockroach, or perhaps had some awful lizard creeping up their backsides; They fidget, they try hard to find some words, some way to get round this, to belittle, twist to distort facts; but it is not easy, not easy when the entire world, the entire humanity are watching intently this incredible event.

Finally, we heard the speech of President Bush Loud and clear. He, and the American people and their British and other valiant allies have much to do with this event. All I can say is that this man has all the essential traits of character that distinguishes the great men of history; the insistence and utter conviction and the perseverance and steadfastness in the face of all doubters and detractors. This was no ordinary election, and it was not simply to elect a constituent assembly. It was the answer of the people, what they really thought about the liberation, what they really thought of the ideas preached by the president. This was a message by the Iraqi people to the American people and their great president. It was the heart of Iraq answering the heart of America that voted to give the President the mandate to finish the task; it was the answer that the common people of Iraq gave by braving danger and exposing their life and that of their children and families to death, this was their way to make their voice heard.

Well, thank you Mr. President, we heard you; and I am sure you also heard us.

Peace be upon you all and the mercy of Allah and his blessings.
Alaa

The Mesopotamian (http://messopotamian.blogspot.com/)

LoungeMachine
02-01-2005, 12:30 PM
Gee,

Mission Accomplished then, right?