PDA

View Full Version : Bonds to miss much of spring training

ALinChainz
01-31-2005, 05:16 PM
By JANIE McCAULEY, AP Sports Writer

January 31, 2005

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- Barry Bonds is expected to miss much of spring training following arthroscopic surgery Monday on his right knee, but the San Francisco Giants slugger should recover in plenty of time to resume his chase of Hank Aaron's home run record in April.

The seven-time NL MVP had a ``minor arthritis cleanup,'' the Giants said in statement. Dr. Arthur Ting also repaired a small tear in Bonds' meniscus.

Giants trainer Stan Conte expects Bonds to return for at least the final two weeks of spring training, and the 40-year-old should be back to full strength before opening day.

``It's not a situation where I'm concerned for him,'' Conte said. ``It doesn't take him long to get ready. ... It's good for him not to wear himself out during spring training, which he does sometimes.''

Bonds often tires of the day-to-day grind of spring training, both mentally and physically, and his rehabilitation might even provide a respite. Bonds, who had a similar surgery on his left knee in October, will begin rehab Tuesday.

He will report to Scottsdale, Ariz., along with the Giants' pitchers and catchers on Feb. 17, but will concentrate on his six-week rehab program until mid-March.

Conte said Bonds' knees have responded well to similar arthroscopic operations and that Bonds has ``a very youthful body for his age.''

``He recovers well,'' Conte said. ``You never know when age is going to be an issue, but this surgery was not extensive.''

Bonds' knee showed signs of arthritis during a similar operation in 1999, but this surgery revealed less trouble than the Giants feared. Bonds first complained of pain in his right knee last week.

Bonds finished last season with 703 career homers, trailing only Aaron (755) and Babe Ruth (714).

He also became the oldest player in major league history to win an MVP award. Bonds hit .362 to win his second NL batting title in three seasons and shattered the major league record with a .609 on-base percentage, topping the previous mark of .582 he set two years ago.

He walked 232 times, 34 more than the previous record he set in 2002 and more than 100 better than anyone else in baseball this season. His 120 intentional walks obliterated the old mark of 68 that he had set in 2002.

Bill Lumbergh
01-31-2005, 05:48 PM
Here it comes............. :rolleyes:

ALinChainz
01-31-2005, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by ALinChainz

Conte said Bonds' knees have responded well to similar arthroscopic operations and that Bonds has ``a very youthful body for his age.''

lol ...especially this part.

Always seems like a good debate.

Va Beach VH Fan
01-31-2005, 08:38 PM
Never ceases to amaze me....

How is is that he waits until January to get a scope done, and conviently misses most of Spring Training, when he could have easily gotten it done in November ???

Bob_R
02-01-2005, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by Bill Lumbergh
Here it comes............. :rolleyes:

:D Bonds is an asshole! :D

DLR7884
02-01-2005, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
Never ceases to amaze me....

How is is that he waits until January to get a scope done, and conviently misses most of Spring Training, when he could have easily gotten it done in November ???

He had his other knee scoped in October....maybe that's why.

Do you really think that Bonds really needs to go through spring training?

DLR7884
I don't.

JCOOK
02-01-2005, 11:58 AM
I'll have to admit that I was pretty naive about steroids in baseball until a couple of years ago..IMO Barry is trying to clean out the old system. It's a shame that now I have to think twice about all the homers that Barry' Mark Mcguire and Sosa and the rest hit.

DLR7884
02-01-2005, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by JCOOK
..IMO Barry is trying to clean out the old system.

He's trying to clean out his system by having arthroscopic knee surgery for "minor arthritis?"

DLR7884
Or did I read into what you said too much?

JCOOK
02-01-2005, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by DLR7884
He's trying to clean out his system by having arthroscopic knee surgery for "minor arthritis?"

DLR7884
Or did I read into what you said too much?

I guess I'm becoming a cynic

High Life Man
02-01-2005, 01:41 PM
I hope this puts him out of baseball.

Maybe it's worse than what they're saying...

DLR7884
02-01-2005, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by High Life Man
I hope this puts him out of baseball.

Maybe it's worse than what they're saying...

It's a fucking scope, not a knee replacement.

DLR7884
Real mature wishing injury on another person....

Va Beach VH Fan
02-01-2005, 08:42 PM

DLR7884
I don't.

I forgot about the other knee, but still, you need 3 months between the two ??? If he needed a scope during the season, he'd be back on the field in 2 weeks....

The fact that he doesn't "need" spring training is irrelevant, he should be participating along with his teammates....

High Life Man
02-01-2005, 11:38 PM
Real mature wishing injury on another person....

The guy's a grade-A asshole. I can't believe people have forgotten what a prick he truly is. Thank some fuckhead PR people at ESPN for that one.

So yeah, I wish injury on him.

Lou
02-01-2005, 11:57 PM
For those Bonds backers, we care about Barry Bonds because he's so perilously close to breaking Aaron's record. I don't want him to break it. Would totally devalue the record because we'll never know how many HR's Barry would have hit had he not done the juice. And it's not just a matter of how many warning track balls became homers, it's also how many more games would he have missed had he not been on 'roids.

For me, I don't care so much about Barry being an asshole as I do the fact that he cheated. I feel the exact same way about other cheaters. When Sammy Sosa passed Mike Schmidt on the all-time HR list, I felt crappy. Another PHONY, roid-using loser passing a REAL baseball player.

redblkwht
02-02-2005, 12:56 AM

DLR7884
I don't. Dude everyone need to go, he will be a month
behind..ill bet he will start off slow in hits,hrs or whatever.
95mph is an adjustment no matter who you are.

High Life Man
02-02-2005, 02:10 PM
BTW - I spell it "preduze." Something a bunch of us have always said...guess you gotta be there... ;)

Yeah, Baker has no excuses and I think he has 2 years left on his contract...but if they don't win a pennant this year, look out. I bet Joe Torre will be available.

And what's this I hear of Ichiro possibly getting traded to the north side of Chicago?

I'm sure Harry Carey just flipped in his grave and then drunkenly mumbled some racist remark about him being yellow. ;)

redblkwht
02-03-2005, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by High Life Man
And what's this I hear of Ichiro possibly getting traded to the north side of Chicago?

I'm sure Harry Carey just flipped in his grave and then drunkenly mumbled some racist remark about him being yellow. ;) news to me, gimme more info..from what i read it was
after the 2004 season before seattle picked up some players.
Ichiro in chi town? OMG..im drewling;)
I think the cubs are done dealing till mid season if there contending
i see another deal, unless they unload farnsworth to the devilrays
with the 2 they picked up for huff..IMO that would be an incredible
pickp.the 2 from baltimore i read that tampa wanted earlier last month
in the december meetings. lets see what unfolds, huff has till the
end of this year, then contract talks, hes gone from there guaranteed!
I bet he ends up here more than Ichiro, but my pick would be the
Suz man..;)

JCOOK
02-03-2005, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Lou
For those Bonds backers, we care about Barry Bonds because he's so perilously close to breaking Aaron's record. I don't want him to break it. Would totally devalue the record because we'll never know how many HR's Barry would have hit had he not done the juice. And it's not just a matter of how many warning track balls became homers, it's also how many more games would he have missed had he not been on 'roids.

For me, I don't care so much about Barry being an asshole as I do the fact that he cheated. I feel the exact same way about other cheaters. When Sammy Sosa passed Mike Schmidt on the all-time HR list, I felt crappy. Another PHONY, roid-using loser passing a REAL baseball player.

Gotta agree Lou, Can't stand cheaters,Can you imagine the "BABE" on 'roids instead of hotdogs and beer?

Gmoney
02-03-2005, 07:45 PM
THIS JUST IN:

Bond mistakenly rubbed his "flaxseed oil" to his balls and now has elpahantitis of the nuts, thus will miss spring training.

High Life Man
02-04-2005, 02:41 PM
Yeah, I heard the Ichiro thing is dependent on how the M's do the first half of the season...

He would be a great fit, and the Cub faithful would love him.