PDA

View Full Version : Peavey doing a Jack Daniels guitar range

col5150
02-01-2005, 11:24 AM
i dont know if any of you have seen this already but i found it interesting that peavey are now doin a range of Jack d guitars.

heres the link

www.peavey.com/products/new/jackdaniels

JCOOK
02-01-2005, 12:42 PM
I wonder if Ed will try and drink it?

Soul Reaper
02-01-2005, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by JCOOK
I wonder if Ed will try and drink it?

lol! :D

Those guitars do look pretty good, though.

GAR
02-01-2005, 03:59 PM
It doesn't look real to me.

BrownSound1
02-01-2005, 05:20 PM
Looks a bit like the Ernie Ball EVH Sig/Axis don't you think? The cutaway is different, but that's about it.

It is probably like all of the other Peavey guitars...they have everything but a usable fucking tone.

The Scatologist
02-02-2005, 04:16 PM
or it could be that the guitar has everything but a guitarist with good fingers :D

BrownSound1
02-02-2005, 04:56 PM
Nope, Peavey guitars are pure shit...

UGS
02-02-2005, 05:19 PM
Their amps are the only thing shittier

BrownSound1
02-02-2005, 05:47 PM
I've played a couple of Peavey amps that weren't too bad, but as a general rule they aren't worth a shit for rock guitar. I did like the old VTM 120...it could actually produce some decent tones. They make some good amps for pedal steel, but I doubt anyone here plays one of those. LOL Seems Peavey was always geared more for your country players. I haven't played any of their newest amps, so I can't comment on those.

sambo
02-02-2005, 06:28 PM
The guitars look pretty cheesy to me, never cared for Peaveys much. Singer in our band has a Wolfgang, but that is the only decent sound I've heard out of Peavey.

What's next.. Budweiser Amps?? Stella Artois Delay Pedals?? Johnnie Walker Flangers?? EVH striped MXR Phase 90s??

:rolleyes:

The Scatologist
02-03-2005, 01:02 AM
I have one of the OLD Peavy classics think like 60's - 70's

One of my favorite amps ever

Panamark
02-03-2005, 02:31 AM
Ya know, I hate Peavey as much as the next guy.
The 5150 sucks next to a Marshall (even the valvestate Marshalls)

IMO...

But I have a small 100watt floor standing Peavey Bass Amp.
And its actually not bad... Produces a very clean Bass sound.
Does its job nicely.

I guess as Brownsound1 pointed out, they are good at everything
except Rock guitar.

The Scatologist
02-03-2005, 04:09 AM
actually, 5150's are capable of producing some very good sounds. They're just harder to dial in then marshalls.

Also, there is a bias mod (no not a tube bias) that some people like to do to make it sounds more to their liking.

It's totally not necessary though.

You should try listening to B'z Survive CD. It was mostly done using a 56 Goldtop through a 5150. Try listen to the song Calling.

Panamark
02-03-2005, 04:52 AM
Ive played my guitar through a 5150 side by side with a JCM900.
Im not a huge fan of the JCM900, I reckon the 800's were the last
of the really great Marshalls.
But the JCM900 blew it away.

No effects, guitar plugged directly into amp. I played with the
settings.. 5150 was a heavy sounding amp, I wouldnt throw it
away if someone gave me one, but the Marshall sounded
(to my ears) heaps better. More warmth in the tone.
(For want of a better description)

BrownSound1
02-03-2005, 02:36 PM
5150's sound better through a Marshall cabinet. I don't hate those amps, but they are a bit buzzy unless you crank the living hell out of it. It certainly has plenty of volume. I've owned several Peavey amps...including a Classic that was old enough that it had a built in phase shifter. Also owned a Musician head that had a FUZZ knob on it...not Saturation, not SuperSat, not TransTube, but fucking FUZZ. Nastiest sounding damn thing you've ever heard. The Classic...well, it was what it was..a Peavey.

Having said all of that, I did listen to a Triple XXX I do believe they are called, last night. Didn't sound bad at all...in fact I wouldn't mind dicking around with it to see what it would do. Really, I guess their new amps sound a lot better than their old shit...of course when you finally start getting input from rock guitarists, then you can adjust and adapt. I'll still have a hard time getting away from old Marshalls and Fenders.

GAR
02-03-2005, 04:07 PM
3 years ago, I "passed" on a Peavey XXX offered to me for a measley $100.00 if that tells you anything about my firm Peavey opinion..

tydhurst
02-03-2005, 09:04 PM
I play Bass, i don't care!

Panamark
02-04-2005, 04:00 AM
Actually, come to think of it, a few Bassists I have known have used
Peavey rigs... So its not all bad. My very first guitar amp (at 15-16)
was a Peavey Bandit 65. It sounded better than plugging into my
parents stereo. But in the not too distant future, I played through
a JMP 100...

I then realized my Bandit sucked.

Speaking of crap amps, anyone ever played through a Gorilla ????

The Scatologist
02-04-2005, 07:10 AM
But Bandits ARE crap. They're the crap peaveys. Solid state peaveys suck ass.

twonabomber
02-04-2005, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by Panamark

Speaking of crap amps, anyone ever played through a Gorilla ????

oh, yeah. those are pawn shop favorites around here.

Nitro Express
02-06-2005, 04:57 AM
Doesn't Peavey make the case the amp goes in out of particle board? With a Marshal that case is fingerjointed baltic birch marine plywood. Marshall makes the speaker cabs the same way. Peavey never went to that quality level.

The 5150 always sounded cold to me. Even with Eddie playing it. It gets some great balls to the wall tone but overall, it's too buzzy for my taste.