PDA

View Full Version : Reports: Emmitt Smith to retire

ALinChainz
02-01-2005, 04:12 PM
February 1, 2005

BRISTOL, Connecticut (Ticker) - Emmitt Smith, the NFL's all-time leading rusher, may go from player to owner in the span of a week.

According to multiple published reports, the 35-year-old Smith will announce his retirement imminently and may explore a role with the group attempting to purchase the Minnesota Vikings.

Smith, who is in Jacksonville, Florida for the Super Bowl, has spent the last two seasons with the Arizona Cardinals. He spent his first 13 years with the Dallas Cowboys, anchoring a team that won three Super Bowls during his tenure there.

Slated to be a free agent in March, Smith has said he will retire a Cowboy and could sign a ceremonial contract with the club prior to ending his career.

A report in Minnesota claimed that Smith would be part of the investment group trying to buy the Vikings.

A disappointment with Arizona in 2003, Smith had 937 yards and nine touchdowns in 15 starts for the Cardinals last season.

Smith is the league's all-time leader in rushing yards (18,355), rushes (4,409) and rushing touchdowns (164). He is second all-time to Seattle's Jerry Rice in yards from scrimmage (21,579) and total touchdowns (179).

An eight-time Pro Bowl selection, Smith was a key component on Dallas' Super Bowl winning teams in 1992, 1993 and 1995. He was named MVP of the game following the 1993 season.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpbmdmam0wBF9TAzI1NjY0ODI1BHNlYwN0 bQ--?slug=emmittsmithretires&prov=st&type=lgns

ALinChainz
02-01-2005, 07:33 PM
Emmitt Smith denies retirement reports

NFL.com wire reports

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (Feb. 1, 2005) -- Emmitt Smith denied a report Feb. 1 that he will retire later in the week.

ESPN.com, citing unidentified "confidants" of the star running back, reported that Smith will retire Feb. 3 in Jacksonville, site of this year's Super Bowl. Smith spent the last two seasons with Arizona after 13 years with Dallas.

Smith, 35, denied the report in comments to The Dallas Morning News.

"Did you see my year last year? Do you think I'm ready to retire?" Smith said in a report on the newspaper's Web site Tuesday.

Smith rushed for 937 yards and nine touchdowns this season. He has 18,355 yards overall and 164 TDs. He was the league's most valuable player in 1993.

He said on Jan. 31 that he wanted to retire as a member of the Cowboys, the team with which he won three Super Bowls.

Neither the Cardinals nor Cowboys had any announcements planned regarding Smith.

Asked about Smith possibly retiring, former teammate Troy Aikman said: "I hate to speculate on it. At some point it will end, maybe this year or the next. Emmitt's had a terrific career. I'm sure the last two years have been difficult for Emmitt in Arizona.

"One thing in this game, when you play on a team that has been together for as long as we were in Dallas, and then you lose guys, it takes a toll."

Smith was lauded by several players in this year's Super Bowl as a role model, a man who conducted himself the right way on and off the field.

"It would be a great loss for the league," New England running back Corey Dillon said. "I'm going to miss him. I looked up to him, watching him win Super Bowls."

Added Patriots linebacker Ted Johnson: "He's such a low-key, classy individual. And what he's been able to achieve hasn't been given just due. He's such an ambassador of the game. Football's been good to him, and I hope he reciprocates it by staying close to the game. I hope he doesn't completely walk away; I hope he doesn't fade away."

Lou
02-01-2005, 10:56 PM
"I'm sure the last two years have been difficult in Arizona"...give me a fuckin' break. Emmitt Smith just wants to keep piling on the stats. He'd prefer to be in Dallas I'm sure, but if it were that tough he wouldn't have stayed on with Arizona for a second year.

Emmitt Smith and Jerry Rice are guys that just don't get it. It's time to retire.

redblkwht
02-02-2005, 12:42 AM
Shit he shoulda hung them up when Dallas dumped him..
hes so done, him & eddie george should sell walkers for
a living in 10 years the way their going ;)

ALinChainz
02-04-2005, 12:18 PM
Vikings: Smith not seeking ownership

by Fanball Staff - Fanball.com
Friday, February 4, 2005

News
Retired running back Emmitt Smith said Thursday that despite reports to the contrary, he is not joining an investment group that is attempting to purchase the Vikings. "That is not even close to the case," Smith is quoted as saying in the Star Tribune. "I have not talked to anybody from that group, and they haven't really quite talked to me at all. That part right there is definitely false information. I don't know where that originated from or where it came from."

Views
Has Emmitt stopped thanking his former teammates, coaches, owners, friends, parents, cousins, nieces, nephews, aunts, uncles, and sister's cousin's roomate's best friend yet? Seriously, the only people he forgot to thank were the Reverend Al Sharpton and the cast of "Mystery Science Theater 3000."

Lou
02-04-2005, 03:25 PM
It's funny, Emmitt even ADMITTED in his retirement conference yesterday that he wanted to pad the record. Used the word "pad." What a douche.