PDA

View Full Version : Sinner's Swing!

UGS
02-02-2005, 05:16 PM
Just wondering why there's not too much mention of this song here at the Army. Am I the only one who loves this slammin' tune this much?

Right off the bat, Ed, Al, and whoever is playing bass (Ed or Mike?) are TOTALLY in the groove. Then you hear Dave litteraly GRINDING the attitude-soaked-vocals out. The solo is one of Ed's best too, IMO.

Hands down my fav. CVH tune.

Thoughts on this underrated classic?

Roguesgirl
02-02-2005, 06:15 PM
Its in my top 5!!!

Great post!

ALinChainz
02-02-2005, 06:18 PM
" ... a man needs love to live, I'm the living proof ... "

Hell yeah, a great song.

Samsonite
02-02-2005, 06:19 PM
Now...maybe I'm wrong...but wasn't this the first VH song that they said fuck? Not that it's a big deal...just wondering...

loss of fools
02-02-2005, 06:27 PM
great tune of a great album

ALinChainz
02-02-2005, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by ALinChainz
" ... a man needs love to live, I'm the living proof ... "

Hell yeah, a great song.

he he he ... whoops.

So This Is Love ... was on when I posted.

Yes, I am an idiot.

UGS
02-02-2005, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Samsonite
Now...maybe I'm wrong...but wasn't this the first VH song that they said fuck? Not that it's a big deal...just wondering...

I'm pretty sure it was

"she looks so fuckin' good, so sexy and so frail. . . "

EDIT:

Great lyrics all around in this one. I'd say Dave was at his peak lyric-wise on Fair Warning. Great stuff, so much more depth, but still 110% Rock n Roll, than anything else at the time. Maybe he crashed lyric-wise after this one and decided to do an album of cover songs. . .

Big Troubles
02-02-2005, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Samsonite

No way. Listen to Everybody Wants Some again.

Big Troubles
02-02-2005, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by ALinChainz
he he he ... whoops.

So This Is Love ... was on when I posted.

Yes, I am an idiot.

:D

DlocRoth
02-03-2005, 11:23 AM
Dirty Movies is better than Sinners Swing.

SNIPER
02-03-2005, 11:34 AM
All the tunes on Fair Warning are my fav, I couldnt put them in order. Fair Warning is the best rock album ever! Full of anger and darkness, thats where Im at most of the time waiting for Roth to come home.

Andertime
02-03-2005, 02:46 PM
Sinner's Swing is a great tune. I've had it listed here as my fav tune as long as I have been here. Whenever I have that song on in the car and the "fuck" part comes on, my 6 yr old son asks me to rewind it. He's a Dave fan all the way!!!

Last_Child
02-03-2005, 03:46 PM
All tracks on FW are great...except Sunday Afternoon In The Park.

I don't like it..

HippieLettuce
02-06-2005, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by Roguesgirl
Its in my top 5!!!

Great post!

It's in my top 1....

Roguesgirl
02-06-2005, 03:12 AM
Originally posted by SNIPER
All the tunes on Fair Warning are my fav, I couldnt put them in order. Fair Warning is the best rock album ever! Full of anger and darkness, thats where Im at most of the time waiting for Roth to come home.

I can not even imagine how many times I have listened to this album. It never gets old, never gets tired. :cool:

Vivian Campbell
02-06-2005, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by UGS

I'd say Dave was at his peak lyric-wise on Fair Warning.

VH1, Fair Warning, and ALAE represent Dave at the height of his genius.

The chorus in this song is awesome too.

academic punk
02-06-2005, 02:15 PM
I would love to hear a Vegas rendition of this with Ed's cenrtal riff being played by the horn section.

I happen to be serious.

blueturk
02-07-2005, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Big Troubles
No way. Listen to Everybody Wants Some again.

Great fun to hear "Everybody Wants Some! " on the radio around these parts and see if the DJ stops the song before Dave offers to pay the lady in question. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't!

Dave IS VH
02-08-2005, 01:06 AM
"Sinner's swing" is a great song, but doesn't get the props it deserves.

I have to agree, "Sinner's swing" wasn't the first VH song fuck was use, it was "Everybody Wants some!", When Dave said "I'll pay for it what the fuck!".

DLR7884
02-08-2005, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by DlocRoth
Dirty Movies is better than Sinners Swing.

"Dirty Movies" is the most underrated VH song.

DLR7884
Nobody seems to like that song....what the fuck?

nosuchluck
02-08-2005, 12:50 PM
Dirty Movies rocks!
cant choose between that and Sinner's Swing though...

academic punk
02-08-2005, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by DLR7884

DLR7884

Dirty Movies is good, but I never quite liked the chorus, either melodically or the rhyme (Pictures on the silbver screen/greatest thing you've ever seen). If you loisten to the rest of the songs lyrics, the rhymes are pretty inventive. that "greatest thing" is just lazy.

DLR7884
02-08-2005, 02:11 PM
I don't care about the chorus....the lyrics are a bit lazy....I agree with that.

DLR7884
That song is pure DLR though.

academic punk
02-08-2005, 10:16 PM
Also, as far as sequencing, this is my preference for songs (and order of songs) on FW:

Mean Streets
Sinner's Swing
Dirty Movies
Hear About It Later

Unchained
So This Is Love
Push Comes to Shove
House of Pain
One other song, of a decent length (One Foot out the Door has a smokin' solo, but the song as a whole defines filler)

I take the view that FW is VH's version of the Stones Exile on Main Street - it has a similar fucked up aggression and underlying tension and hostility/disillusionment, as well as the most diverse set of songs and styles on any VH album, while all along remaining true to VH's mission and vision.

House of Pain was on the original Gene Simmons demo - it owuld've fit in very well on FW, maybe even better than it did on 1984.

and I just prefer the swequencing of going from mean streets, and punching it up a notch to sinners swing, then have that slow build-up to dirty movies, and another slow build-up to hear about it later. etc.

i/m babbling.

VHdamaco
02-08-2005, 10:44 PM
in a choice between ditry movies and sinner's swing, it's sinner's swing all the way.

it's just so aggressive and that solo is just fucking wicked. not to mention the lyrics ar egreat as well.

dirty movies is good, but it lacks that fuck you attitude that sinner's swing gives off.

quick question though that doesn't have to do with any of these songs (i didn't feel like starting a new thread on the issue), i bought DD and after looking at the back of the case i was curious about one thing, how many fuckin people is that in the arena? i'm guessing @ least 500,000 heads. anyone have a estimate?

academic punk
02-08-2005, 10:46 PM
I've always wondered if that shot was from when the opened for the Stones in '81 or maybe the US Festival.

it's worth starting a new thread about.

VHdamaco
02-08-2005, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by academic punk

as you wish

UGS
02-09-2005, 12:15 AM
Didn't VH play the US Festival in 83?

UGS
02-09-2005, 12:24 AM
House of Pain was on the original Gene Simmons demo - it owuld've fit in very well on FW, maybe even better than it did on 1984.
i/m babbling.

Good call. House of Pain would go nicely on Fair Warning. Not that I have a problem with it being on 1984, but it deffinetely has the right groove, feel, and darkness to be comfortable on FW.

VHdamaco
02-09-2005, 12:25 AM
yes they did.

but that concert was at night and was supposed to have the largest crowd vh had ever played to... anyone remember that number right off hand? my copy of the us festival is currently mia in my shit-all-over-the-place room

UGS
02-09-2005, 12:41 AM
My point is that Diver Down came out in 1982, so it can't be the same gig.

375 000 rings a bell for the attendence, but I could be wrong.

VHdamaco
02-09-2005, 01:03 AM
ahh, my bad. i didn't initially catch your point, thought you were asking.

Dave IS VH
02-09-2005, 03:05 AM
I love the song "Dirty Movies", I can tell Dave wrote the lyrics to the song, even thew Eddie wrote the music.

I also love the Songs "FOOLS" and "IN A SIMPLE RHYME", which are underrated as well.

UGS
02-09-2005, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by VHdamaco
ahh, my bad. i didn't initially catch your point, thought you were asking.

no worries :D

ULTRAMAN VH
02-09-2005, 07:35 AM
Sinner's Swing, AWESOME TUNE. You could tell Ed was pissed when he recorded Fair Warning. Lot of anger on this LP. I remember reading that Ed and Dave were really going a few rounds on this one. It got to a point where Ed was going to quit the band. But in the end that raw chemistry between these to Rock Gods created a classic album. Proof again that Dave brought out the best in Ed, something that Sham the puppet could never do. Hate to beat a dead horse, but C'mon Ed, give us a break. BRING BACK DAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!

DLR7884
02-09-2005, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by academic punk
I've always wondered if that shot was from when the opened for the Stones in '81 or maybe the US Festival.

It's a picture from Tampa when they opened for the Stones in 1981.

DLR7884
The US Fest was in 1983.

ODShowtime
02-10-2005, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by DLR7884

DLR7884

yeah, Dirty Movies is really fucking awesome.

Sinner's Swing was one of my original played out songs. I played that song so god-damn much when I was like 13 or 14 that I wore out the tape at that spot. Ah my trusty Fair Warning tape...

Loons The Great
05-27-2005, 07:15 PM
Bump

mentalpancake
05-29-2005, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by UGS
Good call. House of Pain would go nicely on Fair Warning. Not that I have a problem with it being on 1984, but it deffinetely has the right groove, feel, and darkness to be comfortable on FW.
I think that Light Up The Sky would have fit on Fair Warning also.

But yes, Sinner's Swing is great and definitely underrated.

danzig
05-29-2005, 01:47 AM
Fair Warning was one of a kind. Took me about three listens to follow Dirty movies but then it flows together perfectly. Anybody have the same experience? Your husband's comin' home.