PDA

View Full Version : Soundcard Problem

Full Bug
02-11-2004, 09:35 AM
Does anyone know if there is a way of fixing a burned out soundcard for the computer without taking it in to get fixed? At least a think its burned out, maybe a program that you can download that fixes the problem? The last time this happened it cost me 60 bucks to get fixed, was just wondering if there was a way around the problem without having to take my computer in to get fixed again, seems like I have to take it in once every couple of months for some sort of problem, the computer costs really seem to add up......

Dr. Love
02-11-2004, 10:10 AM
You're going to have to describe the symptoms of your problem.

However, if your sound card is "burned out" or the hardware is in some way damaged, there is no program that will fix it.

Full Bug
02-11-2004, 10:38 AM
Windows Media Player is saying that it cannot play the file because there is a problem with the sound device such as a sound card or sound controller, or maybe I dont have a sound device installed on my computer, I also have DivX and it plays videos but with no sound, so I guess the sound card is fucked, was just maybe hoping there was some sort of program I could download off the net to fix the problem, thought it was worth a shot asking if anyone knew of such a program.....
I was thinking maybe a virus would cause this problem, this is the second time my soundcard has screwed up, but I always run virus scans, weird.....

Dr. Love
02-11-2004, 11:20 AM
Can you run any sounds? Have you tried rebooting?

Full Bug
02-11-2004, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Love
Can you run any sounds? Have you tried rebooting?
No sound whatsoever, this problem has been going on over a week.....

Igosplut
02-11-2004, 12:40 PM
Get Norton system works. That has in it, among others a program that walks you thru troubleshooting your hardware (sound card included).

I have it on mine, and is a great program. Plus the Norton utilitys defrags and scandisks much better than the windows one.

Like Dr L says, If the hardwares spent, thats not going to fix it (it did tell me that I had a bad stick of memory) But Its well worth the cost for everthing in it.

High Life Man
02-11-2004, 01:02 PM
Is your soundcard part of the motherboard, or is it a seperate device?

If it's seperate, did you try reseeding it?

Full Bug
02-11-2004, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Igosplut
Get Norton system works. That has in it, among others a program that walks you thru troubleshooting your hardware (sound card included).

I have it on mine, and is a great program. Plus the Norton utilitys defrags and scandisks much better than the windows one.

Like Dr L says, If the hardwares spent, thats not going to fix it (it did tell me that I had a bad stick of memory) But Its well worth the cost for everthing in it.
Hey Igo, I looked for this program and found one, but they only mail it to you, is that the one your using and you had it mailed to you? I'm not into getting anything mailed to me through the internet, or is it a site where you could download the program? If so, do you happen to remember the link? Thanx......:cool:

ELVIS
02-11-2004, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Full Bug
Does anyone know if there is a way of fixing a burned out soundcard for the computer without taking it in to get fixed? At least a think its burned out, maybe a program that you can download that fixes the problem? The last time this happened it cost me 60 bucks to get fixed, was just wondering if there was a way around the problem without having to take my computer in to get fixed again, seems like I have to take it in once every couple of months for some sort of problem, the computer costs really seem to add up......

If you weren't such a stoner you would have a basic understanding of how windows works by now...;)

Triumph
02-11-2004, 07:47 PM
Your soundcard is a great piece of equipment, for me to poop on!
Quit fixing it and replace it or i will poop on it once more.
Try a Soundblaster that is not integrated and the poop will stop.

Va Beach VH Fan
02-11-2004, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by High Life Man
Is your soundcard part of the motherboard, or is it a seperate device?

If it's separate, did you try reseeding it?

That was going to be my first question as well....

If it's imbedded, the Norton utility probably is your best bet...

If it's separate, it may be as simple as deleting the Sound Card parameters from your Device Manager, then rebooting to let Windows re-recognize the "new" hardware found...

That is, assuming you still have the CD for the drivers, etc....

twonabomber
02-11-2004, 08:39 PM
for $60 you can get another sound card. i've seen basic Creative PCI cards for $35 or less.

Igosplut
02-11-2004, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Full Bug
Hey Igo, I looked for this program and found one, but they only mail it to you, is that the one your using and you had it mailed to you? I'm not into getting anything mailed to me through the internet, or is it a site where you could download the program? If so, do you happen to remember the link? Thanx......:cool:

You running anything older than XP? if you are, I'll send you a burned copy. Pm me......

Panamark
02-14-2004, 02:34 AM
If the Sound Card is part of the Motherboard, you should be able to disable it either via the BIOS or a Jumper on the Mainboard..

What makes you say its burned out ?? Have you seen a popped IC on the mainboard or is it just that your programs no longer have sound.

Did you just add another device ? Maybe you have an IRQ conflict..

Full Bug
02-14-2004, 08:44 AM
I dont know if it is attached or not, I will find out for future reference, but it matters little now, my computer guy is going to fix it for 20 bucks, might be offline for a day or two but at least the damm thing will be working after that......
Thank you for all the tips and help people......:) :rockit: :bottle:

Viking
02-14-2004, 11:47 PM
FB, take it from the ol' master(bator, OK motherfuckers? Ya happy now? Shaddup. :D ) If it's on the board, you might be able to flash the BIOS if the chipset isn't fried. Othewrwise:

1) Go into your device manager, and blow the fucker away.

2) Get a cold beer.

3) Reboot. Let the hardware wizard find it, and reinstall it. If it can't find the proper drivers, go to http://www.driverguide.com , and download them.

4) If that is still causing a problem, check your IRQ settings if you've recently installed some new hardware. (Normally, your sound card will use IRQ5, which is reserved for your LPT2 port, but WinBlows will assign whatever IRQ is available. If there's new hardware involved, it's software may have shanghaied the address under a higher priority.)

5) You may have blown a PCI slot. It happens. Shut your box down, take the card out and move it to an adjacent slot. Reboot.

If none of that works, then

6) Get another beer. Kick the dog in the ass. Pull the card. Have the wife buy a new one at Circuit City on the way home from work. And have her stop for more beer.

Little Texan
02-14-2004, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by Viking
Kick the dog in the ass.

Or in Bug's case, FINGER the dog in the ass. :D

Panamark
02-15-2004, 02:36 AM
Oh yeah, and make sure your speakers are turned on :)

$20 to fix it sounds very reasonable. I would pay my customers $20 to stay away from me :D

Panamark
02-15-2004, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by Little Texan
Or in Bug's case, FINGER the dog in the ass. :D

hahhaha, Hey Bug, you are meant to use a thermometer, not try and guess the temperature with your finger !

I assume we are talking about that old photo ? Geez, Bug you'll never live that one down :)

Viking
02-17-2004, 12:52 AM
At least FB isn't using his tongue to check Fido's temp.

Are you, FB? :D