PDA

View Full Version : 1st Marine Div Commander Not a Girlie Man

Sgt Schultz
02-04-2005, 10:21 AM
Marine General Counseled for Comments

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200429193313/$file/Mattislow.jpg
WASHINGTON - The commandant of the Marine Corps said Thursday he has counseled a senior subordinate for saying publicly, "It's fun to shoot some people."

Lt. Gen. James N. Mattis, an infantry officer who has commanded Marines in both Afghanistan and Iraq, made the comments Tuesday while speaking to a forum in San Diego about strategies for the war on terror. Mattis is the commanding general of the Marine Corps Combat Development Command in Quantico, Va.

According to an audio recording of Mattis' remarks, he said, "Actually, it's a lot of fun to fight. You know, it's a hell of a hoot. ... It's fun to shoot some people. I'll be right upfront with you, I like brawling."

He added, "You go into Afghanistan, you got guys who slap women around for five years because they didn't wear a veil," Mattis continued. "You know, guys like that ain't got no manhood left anyway. So it's a hell of a lot of fun to shoot them."

Thursday, Gen. Mike Hagee, commandant of the Marine Corps, issued a statement saying, "I have counseled him concerning his remarks and he agrees he should have chosen his words more carefully."

"While I understand that some people may take issue with the comments made by him, I also know he intended to reflect the unfortunate and harsh realities of war," Hagee said. "Lt. Gen. Mattis often speaks with a great deal of candor."

Hagee also praised Mattis, calling him "one of this country's bravest and most experienced military leaders."

He said the commitment of Marines "helps to provide us the fortitude to take the lives of those who oppress others or threaten this nation's security. This is not something we relish, yet we accept it as a reality in our profession of arms."

He said he was confident Mattis would continue to serve.

According to Mattis' biography, he commanded, as a lieutenant colonel, an assault battalion during the first war with Iraq. During the war in Afghanistan, he commanded the 1st Marine Expeditionary Brigade; in the second war in Iraq, he commanded the 1st Marine Division during the invasion and early period after the war.

end story++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Looks like the press has their Patton. What would they rather have as the leader of the 1st Marines? Madeline Albright?

Phil theStalker
02-04-2005, 10:31 AM
He is a grade A-asshole.

He is no hero.

He will be disciplined for his remarks in some form.

You or the media won't be there for the military hearing.

His career is ova and out, Roger Ivan Peter.

:spank:
"IT'S FUN TO KILL, IT'S FUN TO DIE."

Phil theStalker
02-04-2005, 10:34 AM
Oh yeh, he's gonna have a 1st Amendment defense in that hearing, but he was wearing that uniform in front of a lot of microphones and cameras and on the payroll.

No more mess, no more odors, he's history.

YAWN
02-04-2005, 12:19 PM
What the blue fuck did you expect him to say? He's a FUCKING SOLDIER, not a stuffed-shirt, do-not-offend-at-all-costs media darling poilitician. For fuck's sake, it's like being surprised that Sammy wrote a cheesy love ballad. It's their lot in life; it's what they FUCKING DO.

ODShowtime
02-04-2005, 12:31 PM
I'm glad we have crazy fucks like that around, as long as I don't cross paths with them! :D

YAWN
02-04-2005, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by ODShowtime
I'm glad we have crazy fucks like that around, as long as I don't cross paths with them! :D

HA! Remember Heartbreak Ridge? "You oughta be sealed in a case labeled 'open only in case of war'". Ah, he ain't fookin' crazy, man... he's a victim of new age pantywaists who judge people by what they say rather than what they do. Once upon a time, not so long ago, things were the other way around.

Pontius Pilate
02-04-2005, 01:03 PM
A fine Chap indeed. I could have used him back in the day.

Seshmeister
02-04-2005, 01:03 PM
The climax of Heartbreak Ridge in Grenada kind of skirted over the fact that 20,000 heavily armed US troops bravely took on 10 students armed with a waterpistol and a pretty sharp pencil.

YAWN
02-04-2005, 01:06 PM
Hey, that was a whole BOX of pencils, man!!! And we're not talking everyday #2's, either, dude... these are full-blown #3HH Dixon Ticonderogas!!!

ELVIS
02-04-2005, 03:13 PM
God forbid we have soldiers who like to fight and are not afraid of the enemy...:rolleyes:

Nickdfresh
02-04-2005, 06:44 PM
"YOU KNOW THAT SMELL...I LOVE THE SMELL OF MARK 77 FIRE BOMBS IN THE MORNING....SMELLS LIKE...VICTORY!"
http://www.wolfsden3.homestead.com/files/OtherPhotos/Scenes/apocalypse.jpg

DLR'sCock
02-04-2005, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
The climax of Heartbreak Ridge in Grenada kind of skirted over the fact that 20,000 heavily armed US troops bravely took on 10 students armed with a waterpistol and a pretty sharp pencil.

Yeah, a friend of mine was there...

Phil theStalker
02-05-2005, 04:05 AM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
"YOU KNOW THAT SMELL...I LOVE THE SMELL OF MARK 77 FIRE BOMBS IN THE MORNING....SMELLS LIKE...VICTORY!"
http://www.wolfsden3.homestead.com/files/OtherPhotos/Scenes/apocalypse.jpg
That's it eggzactly, Nick. Guys like that are nuts. I love ELVIS, but he shows immaturity with his views. ELVIS doesn't know about the "nuts." You and I, and millions more, do know about them.

Shape up, ELVIS.

The Scatologist
02-05-2005, 05:57 AM
So go help them Sgt Scock you manly man man.

BigBadBrian
02-05-2005, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by Sgt Schultz
Marine General Counseled for Comments

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200429193313/$file/Mattislow.jpg
WASHINGTON - The commandant of the Marine Corps said Thursday he has counseled a senior subordinate for saying publicly, "It's fun to shoot some people."

Lt. Gen. James N. Mattis, an infantry officer who has commanded Marines in both Afghanistan and Iraq, made the comments Tuesday while speaking to a forum in San Diego about strategies for the war on terror. Mattis is the commanding general of the Marine Corps Combat Development Command in Quantico, Va.

According to an audio recording of Mattis' remarks, he said, "Actually, it's a lot of fun to fight. You know, it's a hell of a hoot. ... It's fun to shoot some people. I'll be right upfront with you, I like brawling."

He added, "You go into Afghanistan, you got guys who slap women around for five years because they didn't wear a veil," Mattis continued. "You know, guys like that ain't got no manhood left anyway. So it's a hell of a lot of fun to shoot them."

Thursday, Gen. Mike Hagee, commandant of the Marine Corps, issued a statement saying, "I have counseled him concerning his remarks and he agrees he should have chosen his words more carefully."

"While I understand that some people may take issue with the comments made by him, I also know he intended to reflect the unfortunate and harsh realities of war," Hagee said. "Lt. Gen. Mattis often speaks with a great deal of candor."

Hagee also praised Mattis, calling him "one of this country's bravest and most experienced military leaders."

He said the commitment of Marines "helps to provide us the fortitude to take the lives of those who oppress others or threaten this nation's security. This is not something we relish, yet we accept it as a reality in our profession of arms."

He said he was confident Mattis would continue to serve.

According to Mattis' biography, he commanded, as a lieutenant colonel, an assault battalion during the first war with Iraq. During the war in Afghanistan, he commanded the 1st Marine Expeditionary Brigade; in the second war in Iraq, he commanded the 1st Marine Division during the invasion and early period after the war.

end story++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Looks like the press has their Patton. What would they rather have as the leader of the 1st Marines? Madeline Albright?

We need more brave men like this on our fighting team.

:gun:

Nickdfresh
02-05-2005, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian

I doubt not his courage nor his candor, but I think being in a position od responsibility, he needs to choose his words better or he comes off as a macho, foolhardy Patton wannabe' clone.

P.S. Macho posturing never won a war!

ELVIS
02-05-2005, 09:31 AM

I believe they're there...

:elvis:

Viking
02-05-2005, 06:24 PM
Mattis for Prez '08!!!!!

:killer: :killer: :killer: :killer: :killer:

ELVIS
02-05-2005, 06:36 PM
Hey!

Now, there's an idea...:D:rockit::D

YAWN
02-07-2005, 01:11 PM
P.S. Macho posturing never won a war!
Combat leaders more concerned with PR than leading warriors can sure help you lose one, though.

This "macho posturing" is a natural side effect of a confident well-trained soldier who has been called to war and lived to fight another battle.

Phil theStalker
02-07-2005, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by YAWN
Combat leaders more concerned with PR than leading warriors can sure help you lose one, though.

This "macho posturing" is a natural side effect of a confident well-trained soldier who has been called to war and lived to fight another battle.
Not so.

My dad earned 4 Battle Stars in the Pacific and a Presidential Citation (Peleliu) and he never said it was "fun."

It's later than you think.

Oh by the way, my father was in the 1st Marines, 1st Marine Division, the same as this non-hero.

If my dad were alive he could have a long SHORT Marine talk with this new "kid" in the honored and honorable Corps.

This man is not an example of a good Marine. In fact, he's a fool Marine. (sic)

Have you ever heard of racial discrimination, discrimination of religion, and all the rights of Americans who were insulted, Arab Americans, American Muslims, and Arabs and Muslims around the world were insulted by a U.S. Marine officer in combat in their homeland making bigoted, racial, and anti-religious remarks about Islam, of their race and religion (women can't drive can also be calll "being pampered" while Western women have to drive themselves to the emergency room after a beating).

His public remarks aren't even honorable in private converstaion.

So he's crossed the line no matter where he spoke his un-American and inhuman "beliefs."

Are you human?

Any of you.

It's inhuman to speak of killing humans as "fun."

And the whole world heard one of our combat officers from Iraq speak inhuman words, destitute of being human on the battle field.

Will the U.S. gain or lose allies with a military like that, inhuman?

The rest of the world learned a lot of things about that, especially Europe in places like Dachau and too many more, inhuman... activities. And America had no bombs dropped on it.

And many Americans learned a lot from Vietnam.

Put the two educations together and I'll be meeting you the street during the third world war.

Remember on that day you were told, "it's fun."

ELVIS
02-07-2005, 01:55 PM
I agree, phil...

YAWN
02-07-2005, 02:44 PM
It's later than I thought because you posted half an hour after I did. Whatever.

Spare me the idealistic ethics lecture. Your father is an honorable Marine, and I salute him, but to think that sentiments such as those expressed by Mattis weren't present in your father's Corps borders on delusional. Majority? Of course not... but present nonetheless. Perhaps his remarks are bred of ignorance of the true treatment of women in prevalent Taliban culture, which is apparently bright and sunny, I guess, but I fail to see the significance of the driving comparison. No doubt Mattis would also find it fun to shoot the man who beat the woman who had to drive herself to the hospital as well.

Of course I'm human. And yes, we all are. So is Mattis. You know this, yet you pose the question anyhow. Your definition of "human" in this case differs from the general definition of the word, does it not? And you've used it repeatedly in your argument. So, too, does Mattis refer to "fun" as a euphemism for the satisfaction felt at what he undoubtedly feels is exacting justice upon those who have done a wrong. Call it rationalization for being sent there to do it, if you will. Yes, it is "inhumane" to refer to killing another human as fun. But so is war. Period. Your father understood this, but just as he and countless others knew better than to discuss it in public, so too were there countless others - who performed just as well on the battlefield - held different views of what they were doing and were not as disciplined off of it.

Phil theStalker
02-07-2005, 02:49 PM
It's later than I thought because you posted half an hour after I did. Whatever.

Is this the fir1st time I've seen you try t2o make a solid point? Good werk, keep it up, I'm giving you a 5 voter for Excellent rite now.

You've earned it.

Like my dad.

It is important and I'm satisfied you're sincere.

P

YAWN
02-07-2005, 02:52 PM
I'm being serious, man! K, except for that part.

BigBadBrian
02-07-2005, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Phil theStalker
Not so.

My dad earned 4 Battle Stars in the Pacific and a Presidential Citation (Peleliu) and he never said it was "fun."

Oh by the way, my father was in the 1st Marines, 1st Marine Division, the same as this non-hero.

http://www.strangecosmos.com/images/content/8531.jpg

Nickdfresh
02-07-2005, 03:37 PM
http://www.strangecosmos.com/images/content/8531.jpg :D

Nickdfresh
02-07-2005, 03:39 PM

Your point is well taken. But confident, well-trained soldiers need not resort to macho posturing. I think there are betters ways to fire up the troops without trivializing war.

YAWN
02-07-2005, 11:42 PM
Your point is well taken. But confident, well-trained soldiers need not resort to macho posturing. I think there are betters ways to fire up the troops without trivializing war.

Truly. And as Phil's papa shows, it can be done. But soldiers all deal with things differently; it's the nature of the beast, I suppose. The point, really, is that the public should not be surprised that men trained to kill end up feeling this way. The fact that it was expressed so blatantly shows a tremendous lack of judgment, to be sure, but unsurprising nonetheless.