PDA

View Full Version : Guitars you'd love to own

BrownSound1
02-04-2005, 11:17 PM
What are the guitars that you'd love to own,? For me I've always wanted a Gibson EDS1275 doubleneck...don't ask me why, just always wanted one. I also wanted a Kramer Ripley Stereo back in the 80's, but that is no longer on the MUST HAVE list. I wouldn't mind a Gretsch...don't know which model, but similar to Brian Setzer's. I think they have a cool tone. Another one is a Gibson ES-335. I love the necks on them, and I dig the smooth tone they produce when you have a slight overdrive going...real warm.

Matt White
02-05-2005, 01:26 AM
A '72 Tele Special. Black, like KEEFs. KEWL guitar!

An Ibanez Destroyer II, like Phil's in the "Photograph video! I'm a 80's CAT!

Panamark
02-05-2005, 03:01 AM
Hey Matt ! You baiting me or what ???
I own that guitar, and its the best guitar Ive ever played,
recently had it fully restored..

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10070&perpage=30&pagenumber=3

As to what axe I want to own thats hard,
I think I already have them :)

If I buy one more, it will be a Black and white Les Paul.
(As much as Mary Frances loves me playing her Paul, its hers)

I now have a strat, a Les Paul, A tele, the destroyer II...

These are my favorites.... Perhaps a Maton acoustic could
be added....

Panamark
02-05-2005, 03:27 AM
Good topic !

The Scatologist
02-05-2005, 06:04 AM
Well,

I would like a 1958 or early 1959 Sunburst Les Paul

a Original Gold Top, (Love P-90's)

a Tak Matsumoto signature Les Paul (The gibson one not epiphone)

Eddie's 5150

uh well, that's about it. I'm more of a LP guy that uses kramers on the side.

(HATE Ibanez guitars, well I like the Destroyers but I don't like the Ibanez shred guitars with the little toothpick necks and stuff)

smaz
02-05-2005, 06:14 AM
I'd say one either one of the following two:

The Gibson Thunderbird: I think they look great, and got an Epiphone version. The real thing would be brilliant :D

smaz
02-05-2005, 06:15 AM
Bollocks, forgot the picture :D

Panamark
02-05-2005, 06:16 AM
The neck on the destroyer is solid. No toothpick necks here.
Im originally a Les Paul freak. So you can trust me on that.

YOu did exclude the Destroyer, but I thought I would throw that
in, the neck is its strong point. Perfect. Great for solo work above
the 12th fret.. Great for Chunky power chords down low too..
Its a beauty. Some dude offered me $5000 and I knocked it back.
I wouldnt take 20,000 for it.. Too sentimental. Bought it when it
got released as a broke teenager with Rockstar aspirations.

smaz
02-05-2005, 06:17 AM
Or a Rickenbacker: These look like great guitars, I'd like to play one. They also look different, which is good 'coz I don't like the generic style of basses, like Fenders - they all look the same, and everyone's got the 'two horn' style.......

smaz
02-05-2005, 06:19 AM
And an acoustic bass, any make really. I only play with an amp at practices and any gigs, so I want an acoustic for when I practice at home.

Eyes of the Night
02-05-2005, 07:26 AM
ibanez dt200 destroyer blizack! with a trem ...

Cato
02-05-2005, 09:06 AM
Gretsch Silver Jet.

Fender Esquire w/maple 1 piece neck

ThrillsNSpills
02-05-2005, 09:33 AM
http://i15.ebayimg.com/01/i/03/5a/09/42_1_b.JPG

I like steinbergers. Every time I play out with one there's always one very drunk person coming up to me and asking where the rest of it is. Never fails.

I've got 3 of them so the purple one isn't really necessary , but looks good to me.

fe_lung
02-05-2005, 09:55 AM
I've wanted a Gibson 345 (like Porl Thompson from The Cure played) for years. Next on the list is a telecaster, though. Then a nice six string bass......

fe_lung
02-05-2005, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by smaz
I'd say one either one of the following two:

The Gibson Thunderbird: I think they look great, and got an Epiphone version. The real thing would be brilliant :D

Didn't Nikki Sixx have a signature edition Thunderbird a few years ago, or did he just pimp the regualr ones?

Matt White
02-05-2005, 11:02 AM
"Hey Matt ! You baiting me or what ???
recently had it fully restored.."

I guess GREAT minds think alike PANAMARK!!! :D

Soul Reaper
02-05-2005, 01:14 PM
I would love to play a Jackson Soloist. They just look so awesome.

Or a Gibson Les Paul.

GAR
02-05-2005, 03:04 PM
If I could decide on a favorite guitar I wouldn't have decided as a teen to be a luthier.

I can make anything from nothing, and make anything made even better.

The Scatologist
02-05-2005, 03:17 PM
GAR, make me a Geetar, I want ti to look something like DIS!

GAR
02-05-2005, 03:42 PM
I did that for a bass player in 83 out of 2 inch thick solid maple

The Scatologist
02-06-2005, 12:46 AM
Lemme guess ..... lol

It would be hilarious if this was the one.......

Panamark
02-06-2005, 02:14 AM
Now thats the ugliest guitar Ive ever seen !

Panamark
02-06-2005, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by Matt White
"Hey Matt ! You baiting me or what ???
recently had it fully restored.."

I guess GREAT minds think alike PANAMARK!!! :D

Matt, if you can actually find one for sale, beg, borrow, steal !
You will love it forever ! :D

I havent seen any in Australia (apart from mine) for years.

Nitro Express
02-06-2005, 05:13 AM
Someone had too much time on their hands for sure. It looks like something Angus Young could fuck that big inflatable Rosie doll with.

RuzDNailz
02-06-2005, 05:48 AM
Strats and les pauls are great, but those different shaped bodies provide woofier sounds. My yamaha bass sounds okay, but fender jazz basses are where it's at! The heavier the body, the deeper the bass sounds. Hamer is pretty good, too.

BTW, if you had the choice between a Les Paul and a Stratocaster,
which one would you pick up? Or own both!

Panamark
02-06-2005, 07:58 AM
I love Les Pauls and Strats.

(Acually that should read Fenders and Gibsons)

I guess if I had to chose, It would be a Les Paul.
But its stupid to compare them directly, they are
different, and great, in their own way.

I get sounds out of my Fenders that I dont out of
a gibson, and vice versa...

Totally different feel too..

The strats with the extra fret and a hot bridge pickup make
for one mean heavy metal guitar you can play for hours.
Most the Les Pauls (except the Studio and EPI's) are too
heavy (weight wise) after a few hours playing.
But they have such a great feel and tone..

Awww fuckit, they are all great !!

Panamark
02-06-2005, 08:00 AM
Dont forget mid 80's Ibanez. Classic guitars !

The Scatologist
02-06-2005, 08:19 AM
The thing I like the most about Les paul's are the weight.

Coyote
02-06-2005, 11:50 AM
There's many that I'd love... but these are on top of my list:

- Wayne Guitars Rock Legend or Meanie Green
- Gibson Explorer (or a Wayne Guitars Exploder)

buckshotjenkins
02-06-2005, 06:02 PM
i'd like a PRS custom 22, and a "stunt guitar" (zappa said vai was on "stunt guitar"...more or less a eddie kramer type with one great humbucker and a floyd rose. also a steinberger like ed's (but black) would be rad too. whoever started this thread is a jerk for reminding me that i don't have these guitars.:(

GAR
02-07-2005, 03:08 PM
I was at Guitar Center Hollywood a few days ago where the floor sales guy JUST took out a black new Gibson Explorer from the box, a "76 Reissue" for $899, made in USA.

SUper buy.. whoever gets it.
I picked it up and looked it over.
Flawless. I was really surprised how bad I wanted it.

tomballin
02-08-2005, 12:36 AM
Hey, can all you bros pool together, and loan me the money, so I can buy this guitar. The current asking price is only $1 million.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Roth On.

ELVIS
02-08-2005, 02:18 AM
You're an idiot!

The neck on that guitar has one too many frets to be anything worth anything...

You suck!

Panamark
02-08-2005, 05:49 AM
I reckon all strats should have that extra fret :p, but I have no idea
why this one would be worth one mill ?? Did John Lennon Sperm on
it ??

tomballin
02-08-2005, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
You're an idiot!

You suck!

Hey fuck you Pelvis, you don't know shit. That's Jimi Hendrix guitar that was later used by Frank Zappa on several of his albums, and Jimi personally gave it to Frank, you fucking assclown.

Shite that axe was good enough for two of the greatest musical geniuses ever, but not a POS Moderator like you Pelvis that seriously struggles with your manhood.

THAT WAS MY LAST POST TO YOU FUCKSTICK,......and this is the 4th time you have pulled this fucking blindside shit on me MR. MODERATOR

Soul Reaper
02-08-2005, 02:22 PM
look at this crazy guitar...

http://www.edromanguitars.com/images/wacko3.jpg

GAR
02-08-2005, 09:14 PM
Total.
Tweaker.
Guitar.

I can easily visualize Eyes sitting in front of that gleaming monstrosity with the TV in the background on, bouncing colorful pretty colors off its surface, right after he litters the top of it with them little plastic baggies he gets his medicine in..

http://b00mb0x.org/covers/hbmix15cover.jpg

HEE HEE HEE! Pretty pretty colors.. come to me.. oh, don't say you don't dig that after-nasal drip EYES! C'mon.. have another hit Bra..

GAR
02-08-2005, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
You're an idiot!

You suck!

Elvis, the original neck was ruined. That's the Miami Pop Festival guitar Jimi lit up before he did Monterey.. Zappa had a differnt neck put on it which his kid then proceeded to mount an altogether different neck in it's stead.

Dweezil probably has the "second" neck somewhere around which oddly enough I know about something he doesn't.

The Scatologist
02-09-2005, 01:00 AM
Hey Gar do you still build guitars? Are you like really good? If so will you do a job for me?

I'm kinda disappointed in the job that Mitch from Mean Street guitars did on my Unchained Model. Although it's probably because he moved to a place with a totally different climate, so that probably affects it till he gets used to it.

How much would it cost for you to make me a new neck? The one that Mitch made feels nice in your hands but it has a bunch of high frets that needed to be hammered down and it still has some bending problems on the higher frets :(

Hardrock69
02-09-2005, 10:09 AM
I would LOVE to have an Alpine White Les Paul Custom with an ebony fingerboard and chrome hardware.

I have never owned a real Les Paul.

I currently own the following:

1988 Gibson FLying V w/1 EMG pickup (#1 Guitar)
1985 JB Player Neck-thru-body Strat w/1 EMG pickup (Black - #2 guitar)
1985 JB Player Neck-thru-body Strat (stock shitty single-coil pickups)
1980 Fender Lead 1 w/1 EMG pickup
1980 Fender LEad II w2 EMG single-coils
1998 Epiphone Korina V - stock pickups
1998 Epiphone Korina Explorer - stock pickups
mid-80s Japanese Sigma acousitc (By Martin)
1996 Fender Jazz Bass - stock pickups

Someday I will post a picture of all my axes.
:D

Hardrock69
02-09-2005, 10:12 AM
Oh and Gar....pass that over here......

**TOOOOKE TOOOOOKE**

**KOFF KOFF KOFF**

**WHEEZE**

o far out man......

tomballin
02-09-2005, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by GAR
Elvis, the original neck was ruined. That's the Miami Pop Festival guitar Jimi lit up before he did Monterey.. Zappa had a differnt neck put on it which his kid then proceeded to mount an altogether different neck in it's stead.

Dweezil probably has the "second" neck somewhere around which oddly enough I know about something he doesn't.

Yelp, it was all in pieces when Frank gave it to Dweezil. Dwez really screwed up the market value of that gtr, imo. I mean it is worth $1 million currently, if it was original.

Clapton's "Blackie" sold - $959,500

Steve Ray Vaughan's "Lenny" sold - $623.500

"Well they're just wired and wood, it's what you do with them that counts - Jimi Hendrix"

The Scatologist
02-09-2005, 03:10 PM
Why would he care about market value.Isn't he kinda rich already? If so, I would rather play a cool guitar then try to up it's market value.

tomballin
02-09-2005, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by The Scatologist
Why would he care about market value.Isn't he kinda rich already? If so, I would rather play a cool guitar then try to up it's market value.

I agree, Dwez has been trying to sell it for quite some time, but no takers. Hell, if I remember the deal right, the guitar was in pieces under the stairs or something before the guy put it back together.

A Jimi Hendrix gtr just laying in pieces under the stairs, give me a break.

I got some pics of Frank playing that guitar live on one of my hard-drives somewhere. I think I posted one in my Zappa thread in the Main's.

Hardrock69
02-09-2005, 04:56 PM
Well, here are some links to an auction occurring in London on the 16th:

http://www.cooperowen.com/asp/search.asp?pg=30&ps=7

http://www.cooperowen.com/asp/search.asp?pg=31&ps=7

There are 3 Stratocasters owned by Hendrix up for auction, expected to fetch from 60,000 to 150,000 pounds UK.

There are 33 pages of stuff up for auction, including a bunch of autographed items, etc.

Also a bass owned by Noel Redding (and a bunch of other Noel Redding stuff).

tomballin
02-09-2005, 11:41 PM
Those are just estimated values (basically opening bids) and are always set very low to anticipated actual selling prices,....(are done that way on purpose).

For example sold last May 2004 in open auction:

Clapton's "Blackie"
Estimated: $100,000-150,000
Actual: $959,500

SRV's "Lenny"
Estimated: $15,000 - $20,000
Actual: $623,500

If those kind of multiples hold up, you do the math on what those Hendrix guitars are going to bring, and this market is still extremely strong for the sellers this year.

-----------

Originally posted by Hardrock69
Well, here are some links to an auction occurring in London on the 16th:

http://www.cooperowen.com/asp/search.asp?pg=30&ps=7

http://www.cooperowen.com/asp/search.asp?pg=31&ps=7

There are 3 Stratocasters owned by Hendrix up for auction, expected to fetch from 60,000 to 150,000 pounds UK.

There are 33 pages of stuff up for auction, including a bunch of autographed items, etc.

Also a bass owned by Noel Redding (and a bunch of other Noel Redding stuff).

tomballin
02-10-2005, 12:08 AM
Ok, understanding the above numbers, anybody want to guess what this Jimi Hendrix famous guitar is going to actually sell for. This guitar is the top item of the entire auction.

What do you think?

tomballin
02-10-2005, 12:09 AM
Here's the details:

Est: $218,560 - $291,240

Again this range is basically opening bid on a guitar like this.

tomballin
02-10-2005, 12:12 AM
Maybe Mr. Moderator Pelvis could count the frets for us again, baawaaa!

tomballin
02-10-2005, 12:34 AM
Ok, how about this one.

What do you think will be the price it will actually sell for?
Est: $8,740 - $11,660

Note: Like 7-8 years ago, a little 1 inch headband/sweatband that Hendrix wore, (supposedly he put acid in it while playing so the acid would soak into his sweat pores on his head during the gig), sold for $6,750.

manwiththedogs
03-10-2005, 02:13 PM
Custom shop 8 string Attitude.
I`m talkin` Holy Grail action here folks.

Nitro Express
03-11-2005, 01:29 AM
Heres the Gibsons I would love to have: ES-335, Thunderbird, original Korina V or Explorer, a Gold Top Les Paul, a Black Beauty Les Paul with a Bigbsy on it, a double neck SG, an Ace Frehley signature Les Paul, a Jimmy Page Signature Les Paul, an Angus Young signature SG, Geddy Lee signature Jazz bass.

Heres the Fenders I would love to have: A Yngwie Malmsteen signature Strat, the Jimi Hendrix Strat, 72 Telecaster with the humbuckers and Strat headstock on it.

A USA made Jackson soloist, a Wayne Charvel built San Dimas, a Musicman EVH model

Paul Stanley's Ibanez Iceman guitar with the mirrored top (One of the coolest rock guitars of all time), an origianl lawsuit era Ibanez Destroyer.

A black and white Rickenbacher bass.

kentuckyklira
03-11-2005, 04:35 AM
To numerous to post a complete list here.

Definitely on the "drool for" list are:

1968 Telecaster Thinline with factory Bigsby tremolo

original (as in no reissue) Gibson Firebird VII

ESP George Lynch Tiger Stripe

an Auerswald

an original 50s Fender Stratocaster

an early 80s Made in USA Fender Heavy Metal Telecaster (RARE!!)

a 70s Hoyer Domino Telecaster

a Duesenberg Flying V with Bigsby tremolo

Last_Child
03-11-2005, 12:36 PM
A Les Paul with Jimmy Page Signature or a SG with Angus' signature.

Kristy
03-11-2005, 01:04 PM
A Gibson L5 -- perferably the Wes Mongomery model. Not that I would ever learn how to play it. Instead, I would place it in the corner of the house somewhere and stare at it all day long.
http://www.active-u.com/blog/archives/img/gibson_l5.jpg

Soul Reaper
03-11-2005, 03:19 PM
Jackson Soloist:

http://www.tablaturas.nsites.com.ar/laguitarra/fotos/guitarras/jackson_soloist.gif

Nitro Express
03-11-2005, 03:36 PM
Yeah that Gibson L5 is so beautiful, it almost makes me horny. I think I would be staring at it on the wall in total mezmerization as I would staring at a naked picture Shakira.

Coyote
03-11-2005, 03:45 PM
Here's another one...

http://www.rsguitars.com/Images/newRSClassic6.jpg

Kristy
03-12-2005, 03:15 AM
Yeah that L5 will always be associated with Wes. I actually saw one once through this guy who was more of a guitar collector than he was a player. It was kind of sad, really because that asshole spent over $12,000 on a guitar he never intended to play.

http://www.edfila.com/wes/images/wes0.jpg
Now Wes on the other hand, oh fuck could her ever play an L5.

GAR
03-14-2005, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by kentuckyklira
a Duesenberg Flying V with Bigsby tremolo

THAT is my all-time favorite V's or at least my most-admired. You're talking about the Lonnie Mack V by Gibson, 93-94... and you say Duesenberg makes one like that?

Theyre here locally in SoCal!

Nitro Express
03-15-2005, 03:22 AM
I tottaly hate Bigsby tremelos for what they were designed to do but they just look so kick ass on guitars.

kentuckyklira
03-15-2005, 04:13 AM
Originally posted by GAR
THAT is my all-time favorite V's or at least my most-admired. You're talking about the Lonnie Mack V by Gibson, 93-94... and you say Duesenberg makes one like that?

Theyre here locally in SoCal! I meant the Duesenberg company from Hannover, Germany. They make a Michael Schenker looking V with a Bigsby.

the big dawg
03-26-2005, 02:37 PM
myself, i wood like one of the new EVH guirtars! like the late 70-80s he made his self:D

sammysucks65
08-07-2005, 10:43 PM
i really want a jackson any kind i like the dinkys or the king v

but i have my dream guitar... IBANEZ Destroyer X Series It even has a tremelo bridge and i had another pickup put on ducan...it came with one i got it for 300 and its really rare...or so the guy at the store says

Matt White
08-08-2005, 03:19 AM
A Gibson Les Paul JR TV MODEL

A '72 Tele Special

And a Ibanez Destroyer like Phil Collen's

MAX
08-08-2005, 03:47 AM
I've always wanted a '57 Surf Green Strat re-issue and damnit, one will be mine at some point in time. I cunt wait to wear the finish off the maple fretboard and stain the fuck out of it with my fingers.

Secondly, it would be a Les Paul with a Gold Top Finish. I'd rip the neck pickup out completely and remove the cover from the bridge pickup to get that little heavier sound too. No pickguard either. Ed played the exact one I wanted and I have a pic somewhere. I'll have to scan it fo sho.

Finally, I want one of those late 60's or early 70's Tele's with an f-hole and funky white pickguards. I know I have a pic somewhere. Natural wood finish and a maple neck of course. No reason for wanting this really, other than I think they look cool.

sammysucks65
08-08-2005, 03:39 PM
my guitar teacher has an ancient ernie ball/music man guitar i have no clue what kind...the fretboard is tattered and messed up beyond reconition so beat up but hes really good and a great musican and he taught me a lot about the guitar and made me the musician i am now.

does music man/ernie ball still make guitars he said it was from the 60s

Don Corleone
08-08-2005, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by sammysucks65
does music man/ernie ball still make guitars he said it was from the 60s

They certainly do

http://www.ernieball.com/mmonline/

Ed used to use them (before Peavey - The EBMM Axis started life as the EBMM EVH).

darkstar
12-16-2005, 04:35 PM
the uli roth sky guitar,with a big slice of the mans talent too.

jbailes
12-16-2005, 10:13 PM
I'll go with:

Eric Johnson Strat
Yngwie Strat
Each of the Charvel EVH Art Series guitars
Purple Wolfgang
Washburn Dimebolt
Dean Razorback
Both of the Gibson Zakk Wylde Les Pauls

That's about it.

jhale667