PDA

View Full Version : You know you blew a tube when

Eyes of the Night
02-05-2005, 07:52 AM
Yeah the EL34 ... 3rd to my right ... it's hellarious starting this cause wella the II is my first tube ... meaning the 5150II is my first tube amp ... <---- comes now with encrytion skills

Or it MAY be the drugs? ... shit i've been 2 days gone and I just can't see ... or scuse the tude cause I haven eaten today and my eyes are turning grey ... what's my name? I I I I I I I can't remember ... but I do hear less punch so could it possibly be a mix of 12a7's and 34's knowing I can't see the 12a7's? ...

Mike, at kitsap music and a cool new friend of the "scene" up here GROWING, hint hint, going platnum baybe or at least gold ... SAID ... "no dude, you don't wanna bias it yourself it's like putting in new spark plugs in yo car" ... I laughed ... yeah ookay ... then think to myself I don't know jack about anything and am a loser ... reflect back a bit, oh yeah it WAS the drugs ...

Folks, I'm gatored ... seeing tracers like life reels of film flashing through thy head ... going on 4 days now kids ... the shit AIN'T candy unless you know how to nurture yoself through this type of "bleeding" so to speak ...

Anyone see previews for HITCH the movie!?!?! ... lmmfao indeed ... crapped thy pants ... almostly n' shit ...

Officially OFF the wagon ... again ... again .... and AGAIN!

GAR
02-05-2005, 03:21 PM
Kitsap?

You moved to WA?

GAR
02-05-2005, 03:32 PM
You haven't had the thing a month and you're already blowing a tube..

I have to ask the obvious: Are you using a plain GUITAR CORD to connect the speaker cabinet?

Guitar cords are high impedance, they're not rated for the amperage of current spit out from the output transformer to the cab, and 9 times out of ten when you get tube failure so soon like this its because some sort of extreme change in output tube resistance has been fucked with.

It can be from a baked bias resistor, a cracked one that's "arc'ing" so it is gonna blow soon, or something exterior of the amp such as a blown speaker, improperly matched speaker impedances, fuckered-with wiring such as when a tweaker opens the back of the cab and fucks with the wiring then puts it back incorrectly, or using a guitar cord instead of a minimum 16 gauge speaker cable.

Sometimes but rarely, the connector plug shell itself shorts the contact when a tweaker unscrews the thing to look at the soldering joint or allows it to bend enough to make contact while looking at it before closing it again.

Tweaker's suck because although they cause lots of nice service work as a client, they spend their repair-bills money on dope, so you're regretfully forced to sell their shit after 60 days in order to get paid for your time.

You need to find an NA class at a local church, n'shit, and go for at least 45 days to find your Higher Power.

Eyes of the Night
02-05-2005, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by GAR
Kitsap?

You moved to WA?

Born and bred my bre ... just getting the fuck out of bummertown ... now in north seattle ... and again how the fuck do you know so much ... lol

Eyes of the Night
02-05-2005, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by GAR
[B]You haven't had the thing a month and you're already blowing a tube..[B]

Around 2 months yeah ..

Peavey 12 gauge speaker chord although once or twice it was a guitar chord ... that chord is a non gainer or doesnt have resistant ends ...

the ohm switch for the longest time was set at 80 when only using 1 cab and even at 40 once or twice ...

If it is something baked it's covered I would guess but don't think it is ... I have a gut feeling it's just that tube blown ...

Yeah tweakers suck, thing is I tweak and I'm cool as fuck! Broke tweakers suck cause they theive 24/7 ... I use it to enhance or damage brain cells;) ...

Nice curveball with NA n' shit ... I'm at peace with my higher power already knowing how boring sobriety is specially for what is coming up these next few months for me ...

Thanks though eh ...

GAR
02-05-2005, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Eyes
... and again how the fuck do you know so much ... lol

I thought you were in Phoenix at some point, but Google links show Kitsap Music is in WA.

gazzigump..

ELVIS
02-05-2005, 07:20 PM
Eyes...

Find a way to become drug free...

1 - You'll never destroy equipment without a clue to what went wrong...

2 - You might find that you actually might figure out how to figure out guitar...

3 - Getting into the music will be your high, instead of getting high and trying to get into music...

4 - God will see your efforts to change your life...

5 - People will see youe efforts to change your life...

6 - YOU will see your efforts to change your life...

7 - You will actually make music if you try...

8 - DUDE, GET IT TOGETHER !!

We love you, get yourself together!

:elvis:

GAR
02-05-2005, 08:24 PM
Most people wooda pawned the amp head to buy a half-ouncer by now, I give him that much for trying.

ELVIS
02-05-2005, 09:59 PM
I agree, Gar...

C'mon Eyes, tighten up!

:elvis:

Eyes of the Night
02-07-2005, 01:20 AM
I got my Marsh 160lead cab yesterday! ... my ears are still ringing ... holy smokes ...

It had to be the drugs!!! or a bad blown peavey speaker ... traded the peav cab and that Rocktron for the marsh and a a cheap ass teletone cause I was bored ... total was around 460 ...

I'm having a dude who has worked on various seattle bands amps ... including pearl jams ... putting in el34R's and 12xA7M's ...

Thanks for the boost Elvis ... someday broham ... someday;)

The Scatologist
02-07-2005, 01:51 AM
Stop trying to support the bastard and let him drown in his own idiocy.

Since he's posting about it, he obviously thinks it's cool, or he's just some kid pretending he does drugs because he thinks people will think he's cool for it.

If he thinks it's cool, all you're doing is encouraging him by giving him your caring and attention.

If he thinks drugs are cool, then I say let him OD so the world will be a better place :D

Panamark
02-07-2005, 02:10 AM
Scat, he's for real..Been doing drugs for the last five years !

(That Ive known him)

He will come around...

Panamark
02-07-2005, 02:10 AM
After that condesceding crap post, I think your prob is your inisistence on purchasing Peavey products ! :)

The Scatologist
02-07-2005, 04:41 AM
So what makes you think he's gonna come around if he still think's it's cool to do drugs after 5 years?

Panamark
02-07-2005, 04:51 AM
Cos Ive personally known people that have done drugs for even
longer than Eyes and eventually stopped.

Dudes from this board, even !

Eyes of the Night
02-07-2005, 06:17 AM
holy off topic people ...

back to topic ...

i say i do drugs only when Im on them tripping out and having fun ,,, like how i would post a drinking icon everytime i took a drink in replys ...

Panamark
02-07-2005, 07:47 AM
Your avatar is a joint ! hehehehhe

GAR
02-07-2005, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by The Scatologist
If he thinks drugs are cool, then I say let him OD so the world will be a better place :D

I've railed on him before, it just does no good because he's pretty dense - so I'll just answer the questions for what they are and pay no never-mind to who's asking it. It benefits everyone to know why or why not certain problems occur with the output tubes.

ALSO, it is seldom, very seldom you need to replace the preamp tubes. This is why on the 5150's they are tucked INSIDE the chassis on a neat little circuit strip with all 5 sockets in a row are secured.

Do not change the preamp tubes. It is rarely necessary in any guitar amp design to change the pre's as often as the outputs.

GAR
02-07-2005, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Panamark
Cos Ive personally known people that have done drugs for even
longer than Eyes and eventually stopped.

Most druggies I've known are seriously ill physically or dead. Also as in, physically.

The Scatologist
02-07-2005, 03:08 PM
Yeah Gar, it's a shame cause I think my little brother is heading there too

BrownSound1
02-07-2005, 06:58 PM
What I want to know is what makes Eyes so sure that the tube is blown. Hell I've seen a lot of blue rings around tubes and that doesn't mean shit. I mean, besides the blue ring, what other symptoms does it have?

Eyes of the Night
02-08-2005, 05:46 AM
Yo Brown, I felt a shift in power or tone in the middle of my set ... looked at the tubes and one had a blue ring ... therefore I thought it was the tube causing it ...

THEN, I went to trade in my Peavey cab for a Marsh160lead cab plugged her in and sounded cherry ... SO, my assumption now is that I blew a speaker or a lil bit in the Peav ...

Eyes of the Night
02-08-2005, 05:50 AM
Originally posted by GAR
Do not change the preamp tubes. It is rarely necessary in any guitar amp design to change the pre's as often as the outputs.

Great point GarTech ... but I'm still having that dude who has worked on Pearl Jams rigs plus many others up here change out all the Ruby tubes and install the GrooveTubes ...

BrownSound1
02-08-2005, 04:06 PM
No problem eyes.....that's what I was looking for, symptoms like a tone change or a loss in output.

Nitro Express
02-08-2005, 07:19 PM
Drugs aren't as hard on amps as alcohol. I keep spilling beer into mine. That will make the tubes blow.

GAR
02-08-2005, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Eyes
Great point GarTech ... but I'm still having that dude who has worked on Pearl Jams rigs plus many others up here change out all the Ruby tubes and install the GrooveTubes ...

I hope it works after that.

The "Seattle Sound" is not really known as a desireable one.

Eyes of the Night
02-09-2005, 04:07 AM
It's not the seattle sound I'm looking for broham it's a NEW sound of grunge I'm channeling through me ... Van Grunge ...

Say that to Jerry Cantrell ... he opened that motherfucker wide open or the concept of using a certain hero's gear to record your album with ... DIRT used Ed's hand given amps he got while on the facelift tour ...

Eyes of the Night
02-09-2005, 04:21 AM
Okay so leave the ruby preamp tubes in is what you're saying because you think dude will fuck it up somehow? ... No worries, I'll tell him excactly what I want with an open ear for suggestions ... plus a general idea of specific tweaks, not's, and to do's with the help of my bre's here fo' sure ...