PDA

View Full Version : Bin Laden filmmaker sues Michael Moore

ELVIS
02-08-2005, 01:47 PM
Man who documented terror mastermind says '9/11' director illegally used footage

February 6, 2005 (http://wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=42738)

http://wnd.com/images2/MichaelMoore2.jpg

An Egyptian associate of Osama bin Laden plans to sue American director Michael Moore for allegedly using images of the terror chief in the Bush-bashing film "Fahrenheit 9/11" without permission.

Essam Deraz took almost four years getting footage of the head of al-Qaida at training camps in Afghanistan. He's reportedly the only person to capture bin Laden on film in the late 1980s.

"I was the only cameraman with the Arabs," Deraz told London's Sunday Times. "All of those shots of bin Laden talking in the cave, talking into his walkie-talkie, they were all my work.

Osama bin Laden

"I was there from 1986-89 and was in contact with bin Laden on many occasions. I saw him in Peshawar in Pakistan and in Jalalabad in Afghanistan. The film clips in 'Fahrenheit 9/11' – five of them – were mostly shot in March and April 1989.

"I was wounded twice and on one of those occasions bin Laden arranged for me to be taken to hospital in his vehicle. These are the only film clips ever taken that show bin Laden on the battlefield."

Deraz worked for the BBC in the 1970s and says he had no sympathy with al-Qaida, which wasn't in existence when his footage was shot.

"Now I find that Mr. Moore's film is being distributed in America and in other countries and I have received nothing," he told the Times.

Deraz has filed a petition with the Egyptian public attorney, laying a claim to intellectual property rights. He's looking for the film to be confiscated until a financial resolution is reached.

"Fahrenheit 9/11" collected $119 million in the U.S. and an addtional $103 million overseas, and will likely bring in millions more from sales of DVDs and other merchandise.

Moore's attorney, Andrew Hurwitz, claims the film-production company acquired all the necessary rights for images used in the documentary.

"We have a license from al-Jazeera, the Gulf TV company, which makes clear that they own the rights to these clips," Hurwitz told the paper. "They told us they owned the film."

Deraz responded, "I have never sold my rights on these clips to anyone and certainly not to al-Jazeera. I will be taking this further. If al-Jazeera are saying they own them, where did they get from? Not from me."

This is not the first time an allegation of purloined material has surfaced with Moore's documentary.

Ray Bradbury

As WorldNetDaily reported, author Ray Bradbury ripped into Moore last year for using the title "Fahrenheit 9/11" for his movie, an obvious takeoff on the 84-year-old's science-fiction classic "Fahrenheit 451."

"Michael Moore is a screwed a--hole, that is what I think about that case," Bradbury said according to an English translation of a story in the Swedish daily Dagens Nyheter. "He stole my title and changed the numbers without ever asking me for permission."

Continued the author: "[Moore] is a horrible human being – horrible human!"

:elvis:

Little_Skittles
02-08-2005, 01:50 PM
And my teachers to me to work cite my material! Guess now i can ask them ok if micheal more can do this and not get caught for a long period of time why can't i? :D :rolleyes:

Mishar_McLeud
02-08-2005, 01:58 PM
Didn't know Bon Jovi also ripped off Bradbury :)

Some copyrighters-maniaks drives me nuts at times. OMG [insert name] website has stolen my photo! Big f'ing deal.

Can give a rat ass about Moore, haven't watched any of his 'works'. Bad for the cameraman though.

Little_Skittles
02-08-2005, 02:01 PM
me neither don't see any point to them.

Nickdfresh
02-08-2005, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Little_Skittles
And my teachers to me to work cite my material! Guess now i can ask them ok if micheal more can do this and not get caught for a long period of time why can't i? :D :rolleyes:

It's not the same thing. I understand Bradbury's anger, but there is a law that protects those using any copyrighted work of art, music, logo, or literature for the purposes of satire, in this case political satire. Moore didn't have to cite it because he was using the notoriety of the novel on censorship as an allusion in his film, not claiming credit for having written it. And I taught Bradbury's horrible book "F451," and I even pretended to like it!

Maybe Bin Laden and Bush have found a common enemy that all religious extremists can hate equally, whether they are Islamic Terrorists, Evangelicals, or rabid Zoroastrianists!

Little_Skittles
02-08-2005, 03:43 PM
i was taught it last year and actually took a liking to it towards the end...it kinda preaches truth and we dicussed it in class. hahaha maybe who knows?

Switch84
02-08-2005, 03:47 PM
:p Forget being pissed about copyright infringement! Why doesn't someone scoop this dude up and grill him for information about Osama's location?

ROFLMMFAOBT

Little_Skittles
02-08-2005, 03:59 PM
i think we already know where osama is but lets keep the drama rolling shall we?

Nickdfresh
02-08-2005, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Little_Skittles
i was taught it last year and actually took a liking to it towards the end...it kinda preaches truth and we dicussed it in class. hahaha maybe who knows?

Oh there is a lot of truth in the novel, but Bradbury is a little preachy and condescending.

Mishar_McLeud
02-08-2005, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
Oh there is a lot of truth in the novel, but Bradbury is a little preachy and condescending.
Neo: What is the Matrix?
Morpheus: Nobody can say for sure, you could only see it with your own eyes . . . blah blah blah . . . Do you want to know the truth? Take the blue pill, and you'll wake up sure it was all a dream. Take the red one, and I'll show you how deep is the rabbit hole.

:)

How do you all so simply use the word 'truth' ? Not that the truth is to each his/her own, but still.

Satan
02-08-2005, 05:33 PM
It's obvious here that the guy has no case against Moore. Though he might one against Al Jazeera, if they're licensing someone elses work and making money off of it.

Little_Skittles
02-08-2005, 09:16 PM
hey alls fair. Plus no one else has laid claim to it.

John Ashcroft
02-09-2005, 07:45 AM
Just a little lover's spat.

They'll get over it.