PDA

View Full Version : How good are you at guitar?

Soul Reaper
02-08-2005, 02:19 PM
How good do you think you are at guitar?

SNIPER
02-08-2005, 02:29 PM
I can play better then Eddie of the 2004 tour.

smaz
02-08-2005, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by SNIPER
I can play better then Eddie of the 2004 tour.

Who can't??? :D

From the sounds of it, David Van Via kicks ass :D

As does Atomic Rob :)

Soul Reaper
02-08-2005, 04:00 PM
I've been playing for 5 years and I'm defintely getting better. I recently learnt to play 'Under A Glass Moon' solo (Dream Theater).

Nitro Express
02-08-2005, 07:25 PM
It's better to think you suck and have everyone think you're good than to think you're great and to have everyone think you suck. In this case, I can't play for shit.

ashstralia
02-08-2005, 07:40 PM
i just mastered the 'f' chord!

GAR
02-08-2005, 08:38 PM
I can tuna fish..

ELVIS
02-08-2005, 08:41 PM
I can row a boat...

Canoe ??

GAR
02-08-2005, 08:44 PM
You can also play thru a worship service weekly, so you're probably performing the most out of anyone here and on a regular basis too.

ELVIS
02-08-2005, 09:52 PM
;)

LoungeMachine
02-08-2005, 10:17 PM
By most accounts I'm a hack. It must be true, I read it in Rolling Stone.

But so what. I made a small fortune, travelled most of America, and a little abroad [ and of course a few broads ] and now can Lounge in relative security thanks to the Art of Publishing. [cha-ching]

I play well, but write better. Never wanted to be a shredder, more into the Hook.

I still believe in the Golden Rules of Guitars. There are 3 types

Guitar OWNERS [ your uncle who played bars in a local band and now plays in the garage when your aunt lets him]

Guitar PLAYERS [ me and countless others who've managed to make a living stroking off ]

GuitarISTS [ EVH, Holdsworth, Clapton, Harrison, Jimi, .............]

The funny thing is, most killer Rock and Roll is "3 chords and the truth"

Ed could shred, but Dave was the Rave

get it?

GAR
02-08-2005, 10:30 PM
I haven't had a rehearsal space to myself since 96.

THAT is fucked. I really loved to play.

Matt White
02-09-2005, 12:07 AM
Old College Bros comin' by tomorrow to jam. Can't fuckin' wait. 'been known to pick a song or two.....

The Scatologist
02-09-2005, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by GAR
I haven't had a rehearsal space to myself since 96.

THAT is fucked. I really loved to play.

I've had that problem since I moved into a much smaller house.

What I did to solve this problem was to buy a Roland Micro Cube, then go to a place somewhat distanced from private residences and bam. Instant outdoor plexi.

Parks, Schools after hours, mountains, beaches, woodsheds, whatever. Everywhere is your practice space now.

Panamark
02-09-2005, 01:51 AM
Im as good as I am !

Eyes of the Night
02-09-2005, 04:51 AM
Yup, I'm a hack but all about the groove but play better with the rest of the band than alone ... I lose time a lot and am always soloing in the wrong key unless I've practiced that song a billion times ...

Hardrock69
02-09-2005, 09:41 AM
I have been playing for 33 years, but never got a lucky break.
I live 20 minutes west of Gnashville in the middle of the forest. My nearest neighbor is 500 feet away, and the nearest one in the other direction even further. As a result, I have been able to actually turn my Marshall Super Lead up to 5 or 6 to see how it sounds. *ahem* Of course it is comparabel to standing next to a jumbo jet on the tarmac, but what the hell!

I have a digital hard drive recorder, and write and record my own material. I am just beginning to work on a backlog of 20 years worth of tunes that I never had the opportunity to record properly (due to lack of funds and/or access to recording gear). I just got my Roland VS-1680 a couple of years ago, and my life is now calm enough I can spend my spare time recording.
Oh, and my music sounds like a mishmash of Hendrix, Led Zep, Michael Schenker and Priest with a touch of Metallica chug thrown in for good measure.

I (like LoungeMachine) was always more interested in creating memorable music than being a shredder. But then, as good as I am (pro level without being pro), I am NOT a shredder, and could not play a clean, extended arpeggio to save my life.

I learned that yes, it is not your technical ability that counts, but WHAT you play (or what you DON'T play). I also learned there is always somebody around the corner that can blow my ass away. I ran into Johnny Highland Monday evening at a guitar shop here. He was a 'guest jammer' when the G3 tour stopped here in October of 2003 at the Ryman Auditorium. Just by looking at him, you would not even think he was a musician, but he is a MONSTER MOTHERFUCKING BADASS guitarist!

Oh, here is a page of mine at garageband.com. My project name is Blasticus Rex:

http://www.garageband.com/artist/blasticus_rex

The 3 songs posted were recorded 10 years ago using a Tascam 688 Cassette 8-track recorder, and some really primitive gear. 2 of the tunes are being re-recorded with my Roland and digital technology (though I still like to mixdown on my hi-fi VCR).

I am rambling.

Man I dig the RothArmy Forums as every subject that is near and dear to my heart is right here (sex, rock and roll, guitars, silliness, etc.)!

Eyes of the Night
02-09-2005, 09:58 AM
Cool! but c'mon alternative rock?;) ... prob get a lot more hits under that genre ... wouldnt play for me but that's my bad cause I'm fooking around with my wires ...

Eyes of the Night
02-09-2005, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Eyes
Yup, I'm a hack but all about the groove but play better with the rest of the band than alone cause I don't fuck around live ... I lose time a lot and am always soloing in the wrong key a lot of the time which has been my prob and don't know why ...

Eddyyyiiiittt .....

Hardrock69
02-09-2005, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Eyes
Cool! but c'mon alternative rock?;) ... prob get a lot more hits under that genre ... wouldnt play for me but that's my bad cause I'm fooking around with my wires ...

Dude you gotta hear the song first.....it is poking fun at all the Nirvana-clones that came out in the mid-90s.

Sample Lyric:

The record company people
tell me what to do
I don't have to be creative
I don't have to have a clue

I just wanna make it
I just wanna make it
I just wanna make it
Don't matter if I fake it.....

Figs
02-09-2005, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Soul Reaper
How good do you think you are at guitar?

not very

Nitro Express
02-10-2005, 02:10 AM
I have sevral acres and a barn. The wife insists everything loud and annoying be moved to the barn. Remolded the upper story into a music room. That's when I found out a cranked Hiwatt pushed by a good fuzz peddle can cause stress cracks and back drywall fasteners out of walls.

Coyote
02-10-2005, 09:46 AM
'Been playin' since the early 90's...

But in my mind, I still suck. :D

Hardrock69
02-10-2005, 10:58 AM
Well ya know, if ya stay humble, that is the best thing. Some people hear me and go "Wow man you rock!", but as I said above, there are a lot of motherfuckers out there that make me look like a retarded ape playing an out of tune Teisco Del Ray through a shitty Peavey amplifier.....
;)

It is easy for me to stay humble...

DeadOrAlive
02-11-2005, 04:28 PM
Good enough to play live... but i still suck!

BrownSound1
02-11-2005, 05:35 PM
I like Panamark's answer to this question. I know I don't suck, but I know I'm not a guitar god either...and I'm sure there are plenty of people on this board who can play a lot better than I can. I've played in several bands, and have done some work as a session man for a small indie studio. I've played everything from jazz to country, metal to blues, which means I'm capable of playing all, but I'm a master of none of them. When I pick up a guitar I still feel that I'm just a beginner...even though I've been playing for 25 years. I think that feeling is what keeps me playing, because I know there is always something new to learn. When I was a kid I wanted to be the next Eddie Van Halen, but now I just want to play for myself and not play to impress people. So to answer the question of being a good guitarist....I guess in some people's eyes I would be, but I'm not quite there in mine. ;)

LoungeMachine
02-11-2005, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Hardrock69

shitty Peavey

Redundant:rolleyes:

For the record, Peavey makes boat anchors, NOT amplifiers:D

smaz
02-11-2005, 06:54 PM
I hate the question 'How good are you?' Or something along those lines. What do you say??? It depends on their definition of good. You could say 'Yeah I'm quite good', and then they think you're shite and stuck up. My best answer:

'Ummm not too bad, I can play :)'

kentuckyklira
02-12-2005, 02:46 PM
Been playing for 25 years now. Guess I must have learned a thing or two in that time.

GAR
02-12-2005, 02:55 PM
AS good as I may be, I could be much better. Never stop learning is my motto..

Mulattothrasher
02-13-2005, 06:15 PM
At my level, I consider myself more so a rythm guitar player as opposed to a lead player. Old Metallica thrash metal and machine gun riffs are my main style and forte in power chords and stuff
I can play really fast and put down a structure or feel but becasue I do not know much in the way of scales, my "solos" sound like rapid unorchestrated notes than anything really pleasing to the ear hehe.

Big Troubles
02-25-2005, 06:20 PM
shitty. I think anyways. Out of say 30 songs on my CD Player, I can play maybe 3 or 4. :D The others I can get parts of it, leads etc... But dead on, I can do 3 or 4.

Terry
03-01-2005, 12:54 PM
Been playing since 1982. Put in a lot of time the first 5 years of practice, practice, practice. Haven't played with a band since 1990. Reformed Van Halen clone.

Am my own worst critic, but with some solid rehearsal time could do some covers with other semi-competent musicians and it wouldn't suck.

Segovia, nearing the end of his life, said he still felt he was just scratching the surface...that's pretty much where I come out, minus Segovia's talent. Could pull off a passable imitation of EVH, but there's a whole universe of things you can do with a guitar outside of EVH.

Cathedral
03-03-2005, 04:20 AM
For few months i barely even touched a guitar. but lately i have been writing inspirational stuff with plans to do the youth group party's again soon.

But before i go live i will have to spend a few weeks of serious rehearsing to get the cramps out of my fingers.
The hands are out of shape, so i pretty much suck right now.

I have never thought i was all that great, but i never got boo'ed off of any stages and gave my all to put on a good show.

If i had to evaluate myself, i'd say i was at least a fair player and much better in my younger days. mainly because we played every weekend and twice a week at rehearsals.

Matt White
03-03-2005, 11:43 AM
It all depends on the hallucinogenics!!!!!!:)

Terry
03-03-2005, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by Cathedral
For few months i barely even touched a guitar. but lately i have been writing inspirational stuff with plans to do the youth group party's again soon.

But before i go live i will have to spend a few weeks of serious rehearsing to get the cramps out of my fingers.
The hands are out of shape, so i pretty much suck right now.

I have never thought i was all that great, but i never got boo'ed off of any stages and gave my all to put on a good show.

If i had to evaluate myself, i'd say i was at least a fair player and much better in my younger days. mainly because we played every weekend and twice a week at rehearsals.

Sometimes putting it down for a while opens up different approaches to it when you resume.

Cathedral
03-04-2005, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by Terry
Sometimes putting it down for a while opens up different approaches to it when you resume.

I agree with that 100%.
I have gone through periods where i try so hard to go in a new direction, but just get deeper into the same boring groove.

Time away allows you to shake off the same-old-same-old, syndrome.

It does wonders for creativity, if the time off doesn't last too long.

David Van Via
03-04-2005, 05:53 AM
Originally posted by smaz

From the sounds of it, David Van Via kicks ass :D

Now this is the sort of thing you want to read when your being bored to death by a teacher.

Thanks man!

Last_Child
03-06-2005, 07:55 AM
ehm....Newbie...

I can play some simple songs but mostly intro's......

I'm saving for a better guitar.....This nylon thing suck...

ashstralia
03-10-2005, 04:55 AM
like quite a few here,
i've been lucky enough
to make a living out of music.

who could ask for a better job?

kentuckyklira
03-10-2005, 05:17 AM
I played guitar on this track, 10 years ago. Have practiced a bit since then.:cool:

http://www.uni-bonn.de/~uzsqsu/ageworn/mp3/fall_for_you.mp3

ashstralia
03-10-2005, 07:38 PM
not too shabby kklira!
gotta love that euro metal sound...

WelshJon
03-29-2005, 10:03 AM
Been playing since 1988. If I couldn't play a bit by now I'd be bloody frustrated!
:D

Denny
03-29-2005, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by WelshJon
Been playing since 1988. If I couldn't play a bit by now I'd be bloody frustrated!
:D

Pandas™ love playing the guitar :)