PDA

View Full Version : whatever happened to the fucking budbowl?

Snake
02-13-2004, 02:39 AM
and when the hell was the last budbowl?

those were so awesome

Little Texan
02-13-2004, 04:11 PM
I don't know when they stopped doing them, but I'll bet they stopped because the advertising rates during the Super Bowl started going through the roof...getting ridiculous.

alexpgrimes
02-13-2004, 04:14 PM
I think they replaced it with that girl's in lingerie playing football.

DLR7884
02-13-2004, 07:05 PM
When Bud Dry and Bud Ice came into the mix it got out of hand.

It had nothing to do with the price for adverstising.

DLR7884
Christ, there were 10 Budweiser commercials this year.

Little Texan
02-13-2004, 08:21 PM
Yes, there were quite a few Bud commercials this year, and I see what you're saying. What I'm saying is, because of the higher advertising rates per minute, they didn't have as much time to do the Bud Bowl anymore because it required more time per commercial spot than the average ad, thus it became too costly to have the Bud Bowl, anymore. They were probably looking for a little more variety in their commercials, as well, instead of running a series of commercials on the same theme year in and year out. They may have felt it was more worthwhile to run a number of shorter ads that were all different if they were going to be paying a higher advertising rate. I'm not claiming to know anything...just speculating on their reason for stopping this ad campaign.

DLR7884
02-14-2004, 12:07 AM
Relax man, I'm just bitter they got rid of the damn thing!

Maybe we could start a grassroots campaign and send tons of fucking emails to the folks at Budweiser.

DLR7884
It could be "Bud Bowl 2005-brought to you by The Roth Army.":)

Little Texan
02-14-2004, 12:14 AM
Yeah, I kind of miss it, too.

DLR7884
02-14-2004, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by Little Texan
Yeah, I kind of miss it, too.

Hell, you'd be a communist if you didn't!

DLR7884
:)

Lou
02-14-2004, 01:13 AM
I loved the Bud Bowl as a kid, I thought it was hilarious.

Little Texan
02-14-2004, 03:30 AM
Here's what happened to the Bud Bowl.

http://www.promomagazine.com/ar/marketing_bud_bowl_moves/

Bud Bowl Moves Online

PROMO STAFF

Promo, Dec 1, 1998

Anheuser-Busch is taking its popular, decade-old Bud Bowl to the World Wide Web so it can reserve its high-priced Super Bowl media time to showcase new creative on Budweiser and Bud Light.

For the battle of the bottles, A-B will invite customers to a "cyberstadium" with 20 million seats and offer chances to win the ultimate electronic hookup. Game "tickets" containing section, row, and seat number will be available on packaging at on-premise events and at the new Web site, budbowl. com, that went live Nov. 1. The new site will be linked to budweiser.com and ESPN's widely-viewed SportsZone site.

At Super Bowl halftime, online Bud Bowl fans will see a five-minute brawl of the bottles, with prize winners announced on the site and on the actual game broadcast. A Stanley Cup-sized "ultimate trophy" (actually a draft stanchion) will tour markets on-premise, eventually ending up in Miami two weeks before game time where it will be used in Drink from the Cup local events.

A-B signed merchandising partners to help generate store display activity, including Red Baron Pizza and Frito-Lay.

DDB Needham's interactive unit in Chicago is doing the online promo along with St. Louis-based promo shop Louis London.

Snake
02-14-2004, 03:46 AM
fucking internet bullshit

they should outlaw that crap er somethin

its not at all the same anymore

bring it back the way it was

SilvioDante
02-14-2004, 05:35 AM
I just happen to work for AB, and from all the info we were told, they aren't gonna waste their time on it. Sales of Bud have been on a very slow decline since Bud Light was introduced years ago, and history shows in the beer industry, that when sales start to decline you cannot reverse it. And now with the Mich Ultra taking off, there is no reason to sink alot of cash into a diminishing product. There will still be commericals for Bud, because it keeps the AB name out there, but no more high end promo's.. They will probably save those for Ultra and Bud Light.

Gmoney
02-14-2004, 08:42 AM
So what's next.....'LOW CARB BOWL"

We want our Bud Bowl back!!!!