PDA

View Full Version : Sweep Picking Question

Panamark
02-14-2004, 12:23 AM
Any shredders here that can help ?
Im just playing around with sweep picking at the moment. What I want to know is, do you finish a sweep pick descent with a hammer on, and start a sweep pick ascent with a pull off, or do you cleanly pick these
starting and finishing notes of the arpreggio. (Fuck Im drunk, did that make any sense ??)

I seem to be able to play these both ways, but before I start working on getting my speed up, I wanted to know the correct method.

I guess Im trying to say, can you just hit once on the pull off (start) or hammer on (end) of a sweep pick. Or should you pick both these notes. If so, do you pick them both up, for ascending, or both down for descending, or alternate picking ???

Im sure Im going to read this when sober and think what the fuck ? :D

ThrillsNSpills
02-14-2004, 07:04 AM
Friends don't let friends sweep-pick drunk.

Your fingers could crash and leave a real mess on the fretboard.

Seriously I think it's just a matter of personal taste. If you can do it cleanly both ways that would be best since you have more options.

One thing you can try when practicing sweeping is to accent one of the notes in the middle of the sweep. That sounds cool if it's possible and then it doesn't sound like just a bunch of notes; it's more musical sounding.

In my opinion it depends on your style and what works for you. Allan Holdsworth sweeps differently than Yngwie and doesn't pick all the notes but it's still incredible.

arkofspace
02-14-2004, 07:29 AM
Do it the way it sounds better to you!!!

Panamark
02-14-2004, 05:55 PM
Just read this sober, made more sense than I thought it would. I should have mentioned that I can play either way, but Im only doing
this at slower speeds. I didnt want to build up to speed on a technique that is wrong, or will hinder speed. From what I can tell, the hammer on/Pull off method seems faster. But is this the accepted technique for those extra start/finish notes on sweep runs? ie: does Yngwie do
it this way or would he be cleanly picking those notes ?

Having to do an alternate pick, then a sweep seems like it would slow things down.

arkofspace
02-14-2004, 06:54 PM
hey, man... I don't think you shoud worry about "accepted ways" of doing something.

Yngwie doesn't play always "right" but, do I care? NO.

I don't believe one of the two ways of doing that thing you're trying is better than the other. Do both of them so you can choose which one to use. Maybe one will sound better in a slower speed and the other will do at speed of light...

Just try to sound right to your ears, because in the end that's all that counts, man.

see you.

Seshmeister
02-15-2004, 11:37 AM
Take it to the next level and do a tap with your tight hand before going back down again...:)

Cheers!

:gulp:

Panamark
02-15-2004, 04:25 PM
Thanks Sesh, Once Im happy with the speed Im getting I will try that for sure. Anyone tried these five string sweeps ?? Fucken hell, getting your little finger back into the right place after hitting the high note is a lot of fun.. I have new respect for Yngwie J.

Triumph
02-15-2004, 05:23 PM
Sweep pooping, ah yes that is a great technique, for me to poop on.
Be original in your approach. there is nobody in the world who is you but you and your style is your style.

Seshmeister
02-15-2004, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by Panamark
Thanks Sesh, Once Im happy with the speed Im getting I will try that for sure. Anyone tried these five string sweeps ?? Fucken hell, getting your little finger back into the right place after hitting the high note is a lot of fun.. I have new respect for Yngwie J.

Mark

Put your guitar down gently, take a few steps back and open a can of beer.

You are approaching the dangerous world of masterbatory guitar playing. I've known far better people than me to lose years getting into the 'dark' side of playing where art meets science.

As Roth once said 'you play a guitar not work it'.

Look at guys like Jason Becker. You listen to his early stuff and it's widdly widdly widdly, sweepity sweepity wank. All that work and then by the time he plays on ALAE he realises he can use it for a couple of bars of one song (Showtime).

Don't get me wrong it's a nice thing to add to your bag of tricks but at your age you don't have the time...:)

Learn 2 or three patterns and use them exteremely sparingly.

Of course I'm maybe saying all this because I was always a lazy bastard.

Cheers!

:gulp:

Panamark
02-15-2004, 10:00 PM
Mr Sesh !

I always have a can of beer close enough to my guitar that I dont even have to take one step back. I always like trying new things on the guitar, this is just the latest. I will probably noodle with it for a few weeks and move on. As for the Age comment ? You make me sound like some old married bastard that has kids and can only dream of the days he still rocked ! (WRONG !)

Im currently growing my hair again, are going to sell my house and company and hit the road again. Aint got no love, no love you'd call
real, aint got nobody waiting at HOME !
OOh Yeah !

Grab that pipe and slippers old fella. And just remember, you'll always have those memories :p

Hell, Im 15 years younger than most the rockers I look up to. Got no plans of being a mid-life casualty just yet.

No plans of being a widdly widdly wanker either :D
Just trying out some new tricks.

I appreciate any advice you give however, I like it when the retired elders share their knowledge with the young bucks ! :p

Mr Grimsdale
02-17-2004, 08:59 AM
i like wanking

Panamark
02-17-2004, 11:34 PM
Ah Grimsdale, concise and honest !

GAR
08-14-2010, 02:21 PM
<object width="640" height="385">Found it - I was thinking of Panamark's old thread when I found this "sweep-picking lesson" browsing Adult Swim's metal cartoons..

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/y8H1vv6pH9M?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></object>

GAR
08-14-2010, 02:28 PM
Do you folks.. like COFFEE?

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EqoTkIG2F6s?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EqoTkIG2F6s?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>