PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo Bills to Cut Loose Bledsoe.

Nickdfresh
02-13-2005, 03:34 PM
Bills ready to march on without Bledsoe

Veteran unlikely to back up Losman

By MARK GAUGHAN
News (http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20050213/1066408.asp) Sports Reporter
2/13/2005

http://www.buffalonews.com/graphics/2005/02/13/0213bills.jpg
James P. McCoy/Buffalo News file photo
Quarterback Drew Bledsoe has likely thrown his last pass for the Buffalo Bills.

The Buffalo Bills are likely to part ways with quarterback Drew Bledsoe by the end of the month.

It's a move that has been creeping toward reality since the team's season ended Jan. 2.

The Bills think they need to give first-round draft choice J.P. Losman a full shot to win the starting quarterback job, according to several league sources.

That appears certain to spell the end of Bledsoe's tenure in Buffalo because there is no way he is going to be interested in being the Bills' backup, according to two sources close to the veteran quarterback.

Bledsoe, contacted at his Oregon home, declined to comment on the situation. He said he would respond at the appropriate time.

Bledsoe, who turns 33 on Monday, ranks 10th in passing yards in NFL history. He believes he has plenty of good football left.

But the Bills are not in a position to designate him the No. 1 quarterback entering the offseason because of their investment in Losman. The Bills took Losman with the 22nd overall pick in last April's draft. They gave up first-, second- and fifth-round picks in order to acquire Dallas' first-round pick to make the selection. Bledsoe would have to accept the fact that Losman will get more significant practice time and would be likely to win the job if he progresses as the team hopes.

Those close to Bledsoe cannot see him sliding into a clipboard holding role.

Losman already is in Buffalo for the offseason. He was the first player to report for offseason workouts Monday. (Organized offseason workouts don't begin for NFL teams until late March.)

The release of Bledsoe would come before March 2, when the NFL's salary cap for 2005 takes effect. Bledsoe is scheduled to make $3.3 million base salary this year. He's also scheduled to get a $1.05 million bonus if he's on the roster in March. His total salary cap charge is $6.5 million.

So the Bills would save $2.2 million in salary cap space by releasing Bledsoe. Bledsoe still would take up $4.3 million in space, which is the amount of amortized bonus money left on the Bills' books as a result of a bonus he got in May.

Eric Moulds' contract renegotiation, coupled with Bledsoe's release, would put the Bills roughly $14 million under the projected salary cap for 2005, according to News estimates.

The Bills would have to sign a veteran quarterback for insurance at the position. It's likely they would go after a moderately priced journeyman with experience. A high-profile starter would want a three- or four-year commitment from the Bills, and they're committed to Losman as their quarterback of the future.

The Bills' failure to make the playoffs under Bledsoe last year, despite an improved 9-7 record, no doubt has increased their desire to speed Losman's development. Bledsoe finished the season with a passer rating of 76.6, even with his 12-year career average. That ranked 25th in the NFL. Bledsoe's 2,932 passing yards ranked 18th in the league.

Making quick move on April made season
special. Inside the NFL on Page C6.
e-mail: mgaughan@buffnews.com

POJO_Risin
02-13-2005, 04:38 PM
An interesting move...since I don't think Losman is ready to roll...

but you know who's probably looking at Bledsoe...

Dallas...

Mezro
02-13-2005, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin

The Rhein Fire.

Mezro...now there is a fit...

POJO_Risin
02-13-2005, 05:25 PM
He's another Parcells guy...

although they rambled on and on under the guise of a feud for awhile...

Bledsoe would take any job...

and nobody sucks as bad as Testeverde...who would sign for literally peanuts...

Lou
02-13-2005, 05:34 PM
Yeah I could absolutely see him in Dallas, especially since I think Bill Parcells wants to win now and not shape a young QB.

Nickdfresh
02-13-2005, 05:49 PM
I'm worried about Miami actually. I could see the Fins grabbing him just to pick his brain about the Bills schemes.

As far as Losman, I don't know, he sure looked good in preseason, not that that means shit. But he is very mobil and seems like he has the potential to make things happen on the fly whereas Drew needs things to be heavily scripted. Though I was looking forward to Bledsoe running more no-huddle next year.

POJO_Risin
02-13-2005, 06:05 PM
I don't know that Miami would want him just to pick his brain...

Losman...I hope he pans out...I like his makeup...but I think he needs a full season of tutelage...and not with a broken leg...who knows...maybe they'll bring in another guy for a year...we'll see...

Bledsoe will get plenty of interest...

Lou
02-13-2005, 07:01 PM
Hell yeah he'll get plenty of interest, fuckin' half the league if not more needs a QB. I wonder if the Redskins will be interested, I don't see Patrick Ramsey as much of a QB in this league. Go down all the teams. How about Tampa Bay? Who's their QB, Griese? How about Cleveland? They could use a QB. And on and on. Plenty of teams need a QB.

POJO_Risin
02-13-2005, 07:39 PM
Bledsoe's better than Griese?...or Ramsey for that matter at this point in his career?

I agree with your point Lou...teams need QB...but signing these retreads to replace your own retreads isn't the answer...

Bledsoe's a back-up...period...

and he proved that by losing to Pittsburgh's backups the last week of the season...

he hasn't been good in years...

redblkwht
02-13-2005, 09:45 PM
Interesting info, i agree seeing the cowboys or raiders picking him up.
Hek would the 9ers do it too? they need a qb badly too.

Nickdfresh
02-13-2005, 09:55 PM
Bledsoe's better than Griese?...or Ramsey for that matter at this point in his career?

I agree with your point Lou...teams need QB...but signing these retreads to replace your own retreads isn't the answer...

and he proved that by losing to Pittsburgh's backups the last week of the season...

Bledsoe's not a backup, he can still play. But he is a statue. He needs a very good line and set of blocking backs. He could still be like a Mark Rypen type if given time. The Bills can't do it although McGahee has eased things up a bit.

LoungeMachine
02-13-2005, 10:50 PM
My how time has flown......

Drew SHOULD have come home to Washngton and taken my SeHags to the Superbowl....

But, no

We had to draft Rick Mirer,,,,,,,,the next Joe Montana......

He's a class act. I hope he finds a good home

Lou
02-13-2005, 10:58 PM

Right now, he's better than Ramsey and Griese. I'm not saying he's great, but he's a #1 QB for SOME team in today's NFL. He's better than Josh McCown of Arizona. He was better than the Bears' QB's this year after Grossman went down.

ALinChainz
02-14-2005, 01:46 PM
He'll be somewhere as long as his price is right.

MAX
02-15-2005, 12:27 AM
Gosh,

This makes me feel soooooooo old. I remember picking up the '93 SI when The Tuna took over The Pats, changed their uniforms and drafted Bledsoe just like yesterday. lol.

I see Bledsoe fitting perfectly in Dallas.

Although, The Steelers might wanna keep their eyes open now that Big Ben is endorsing Chunky Soup.

Golden AWe
02-15-2005, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Lou
Right now, he's better than Ramsey and Griese. I'm not saying he's great, but he's a #1 QB for SOME team in today's NFL. He's better than Josh McCown of Arizona. He was better than the Bears' QB's this year after Grossman went down.

get laid, lou

Nickdfresh
02-16-2005, 12:51 PM
Bills set to give Bledsoe his release
QB's three-year reign coming to end today

By MARK GAUGHAN
News Sports Reporter
2/16/2005
The Buffalo Bills are expected to announce the end of their Drew Bledsoe era today.

The Bills can not make it official with the NFL until Tuesday, which league rules stipulate is the first day this offseason that players can be cut. However, in deference to Bledsoe, sources told The News the Bills plan to announce their intention to release him ahead of time.

It's a move that has been on the horizon for weeks, due to the team's desire to get J.P. Losman ready to take over the quarterback job. Several Bills players who requested anonymity on Tuesday said they were expecting the move to happen.

The release will end a three-year reign by Bledsoe that was occasionally thrilling but ultimately unfulfilling for Bills followers.

Bledsoe went 23-25 as the Bills' starter. The 2004 season was his most successful from a winning standpoint, but the Bills' 9-7 record was not good enough to get them into the playoffs.

The Bills' deep respect for Bledsoe and his first-class conduct with the team is the reason for pre-empting the Tuesday cut date. A similar situation happened in Cleveland on Monday when the Browns announced their decision to release veteran quarterback Jeff Garcia.

As reported in The News on Sunday, Bledsoe has no desire to serve as a backup in 2005. Bledsoe, who turned 33 on Monday, is the 10th leading passer in terms of yards in NFL history. He still believes he has plenty of good football left.

Had Bledsoe been willing to embrace the likelihood that Losman will be the starter in 2005, the Bills would have brought him back at a lower salary. But Bledsoe is determined to remain a starter in the NFL. The Bills invested first-, second- and fifth-round draft choices in Losman last April. After the Bills' non-playoff finish, the team is ready to get its quarterback of the future on the field.

He now will look for another starting job, and there is speculation around the NFL he might get a chance in Dallas, which is led by one of Bledsoe's former coaches, Bill Parcells.

Bledsoe finished the season with a passer rating of 76.6, which is even with his 12-year career average. That ranked 25th in the NFL. Bledsoe's 2,932 passing yards ranked 18th in the league. He had 20 touchdowns and 16 interceptions.

The release of Bledsoe will save the Bills $2.2 million in cap space. If he had remained on the team at his scheduled pay, he would have counted $6.5 million this year.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20050216/1062125.asp

DLR7884
02-16-2005, 12:55 PM
He'll be a Cowboy next year.

DLR7884
For sure.

Wolverine
02-16-2005, 01:19 PM
Bledsoe played for the Pats for nine years, even took them to the super bowl (lost to dallas). Drew had a pretty good career. It has to kill him to be replaced by Brady and then brady and the pats go on to win 3 super bowls!!

Fairwrning
02-16-2005, 06:28 PM

Dallas...

lmao..was just gonna say that...

MAX
02-16-2005, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by The Godfather
Bledsoe played for the Pats for nine years, even took them to the super bowl (lost to dallas).

Sorry bro but the Pats lost to Green Bay in that Superbowl, not Dallas.

ALinChainz
02-22-2005, 11:40 PM

Dallas...

Reports: Cowboys to sign Bledsoe

February 22, 2005

IRVING, Texas (AP) -- Drew Bledsoe was released by the Buffalo Bills on Tuesday and within hours, according to several reports, agreed to a deal with the Dallas Cowboys.

Bledsoe's reunion with coach Bill Parcells, who drafted the quarterback No. 1 overall and guided him to the Super Bowl in New England, was first reported by Dallas-Fort Worth television station KTVT and later by ESPN.com, The Dallas Morning News and the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. All cited sources.

Bledsoe, agent David Dunn and Cowboys owner Jerry Jones did not immediately return phone calls to The Associated Press.

The Bills announced plans to release him last week and the Cowboys were prepared with an offer right away. Bledsoe was ready for it, too, even saying last week that ``Dallas is intriguing for obvious reasons.''

``Playing for my old coach and then looking at the weapons they have offensively, that's intriguing,'' Bledsoe said in a conference call with reporters. ``But there are a number of teams that are possibilities and Dalllas is one of those.''

Bledsoe also indicated then that he'd rather retire than not be a starter, so there's little doubt he'll be taking over the Dallas offense, especially considering Parcells' affinity for his former players. Among his receivers will be receiver Terry Glenn, who caught passes from Bledsoe from 1996-2001 in New England.

The Cowboys have said all along they wanted to go with a veteran quarterback rather than turn to one of their youngsters, Drew Henson or Tony Romo. Henson threw just 18 passes as a rookie and Romo has never thrown a pass in his two NFL seasons. Bledsoe's arrival also means that Vinny Testaverde won't return.

Although Bledsoe is eight years younger than Testaverde, he's still considered on the downside of his career.

His statistics last season in guiding Buffalo to a 9-7 record were comparable to what Testaverde did in Dallas' 6-10 season. Bledsoe had 20 touchdowns and 16 interceptions, while Testaverde had 17 touchdowns and 20 interceptions. The Bills went into the final Sunday of the season with a chance to make the playoffs after an 0-4 start.

Bledsoe has thrown for more than 300 yards only once in the last two seasons. He made the Pro Bowl the year before that, his first with Buffalo after losing his job in New England to Tom Brady. He was 23-25 over three seasons with the Bills, never reaching the postseason.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-cowboys-bledsoe&prov=ap&type=lgns

MAX
02-22-2005, 11:46 PM
Gosh, I fucking hate The Cowboys.

guwapo_rocker
02-23-2005, 08:51 AM
Bledsoe to the Cowboys?

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Nickdfresh
02-23-2005, 09:33 AM
Bledsoe will be a nice fit ONLY if the Cowboys have a solid line. Otherwise they might want to attach bionic legs!

But if Dallas' line can give him time, he really can zip that ball in there, especially in a (semi)dome.

guwapo_rocker
02-23-2005, 09:39 AM
Good point. If he is hurried it will be a sack and interception

filled debacle of a season.

Fairwrning
02-23-2005, 12:21 PM
geezz...Dallas is becoming the old folks home for QB's...I wonder if Namath is available??

Bradshaw Maybe??:D

Nickdfresh
02-24-2005, 05:20 PM
Bledsoe tries Cowboy karma on for size

"I can't wait to go home and dress my kids in little stars and get rid of the other team's stuff."

By JAIME ARON
Associated Press
2/24/2005

Click to view larger picture
Associated Press
Drew Bledsoe is joined by Cowboys owner Jerry Jones.

IRVING, Texas - Drew Bledsoe set passing records and reached the Super Bowl as a young quarterback playing for Bill Parcells in New England. Nearly a decade later, the duo will try doing it again with the Dallas Cowboys.

Bledsoe signed a three-year contract Wednesday, one day after he was released by the Buffalo Bills. According to the Dallas Morning News, Bledsoe's deal will pay him about $14 million, including a signing bonus of $2 million.

Bledsoe knew last week that he was going to be cut and within days decided he wanted to be reunited with Parcells. Once the Bills filed the paperwork, the Cowboys quickly showed they also were eager to strike a deal.

Parcells called Bledsoe - and told him he'd be the starter - while team Vice President Stephen Jones called the quarterback's agent, David Dunn. Owner Jerry Jones then spoke with Bledsoe and Dunn, and the pair flew to Dallas on Wednesday and held an afternoon news conference.

"I was very hopeful that this would be the opportunity for me," said Bledsoe, already sporting a tie that nicely matched the team's colors. "I'm very thankful it happened as quickly as it did. I'm very excited to be a Dallas Cowboy. I can't wait to go home and dress my kids with the little stars and get rid of all the old gear from the other team."

Bledsoe was smiling as his jab at the Bills drew laughs, but he also was disappointed about how things turned out in Buffalo. He mentioned needing time to get over his anger toward the team for handing his job to youngster J.P. Losman without an on-field competition and later added that he hopes to prove them wrong.

"There's no question that is a motivating factor," said Bledsoe, who proved something to the Patriots by throwing for more than 4,000 yards and making the Pro Bowl the season after they traded him to Buffalo. "It's not the motivating factor. The motivating factor is that I want to stand on the field and hold up that trophy at the end of the season."

The Cowboys will play at Buffalo during the 2007 season.

Jones repeated several themes throughout the news conference: That signing Bledsoe was supported by himself and everyone else in the organization (meaning not just Parcells) and that having Bledsoe makes Dallas an immediate contender despite having gone 6-10 last season.

"We think we got the very best option available to us," Jones said.

Bledsoe's attraction to Dallas began with Parcells, the coach who chided him so much during his first four years in the NFL that the quarterback once told his father, "I can't wait until Sundays because I can get on the field and he can't be yelling at me. You're out there in front of 70,000 fans and it's the quietest it's been on the field all week."

Yet as the years passed, Bledsoe learned to appreciate Parcells' gruff style. They even developed somewhat of a friendship, with Parcells occasionally calling Bledsoe when times were tough - such as 2001, when he was injured, lost his job to Tom Brady and eventually was traded to the Bills. Bledsoe said Parcells also called him during his first year in Buffalo to wish him good luck.

Parcells, who didn't attend the news conference, showed what he thought of Bledsoe by making him the top overall pick in the 1993 draft, starting him as a rookie and letting him throw a league-record 691 passes his second season. Two years later, the Patriots reached the Super Bowl but lost to Green Bay. Parcells then left for the New York Jets.

Bledsoe led New England to the playoffs the next two years, but hasn't started a playoff game since 1998. The Bills went 23-25 over his three seasons and never made the playoffs.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20050224/1024091.asp

ALinChainz
02-24-2005, 05:32 PM
Dallas have some questions at receiver also.

Keyshawn had 2 surgeries. Knee and ankle.

Glenn coming off a foot injury that sidelined hi most of last year.

Quincy Morgan did nothing after arrviving.

The only thing the offense has going for it is Julius Jones.

DLR7884
02-24-2005, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by ALinChainz
Dallas have some questions at receiver also.

Keyshawn had 2 surgeries. Knee and ankle.

Glenn coming off a foot injury that sidelined hi most of last year.

Quincy Morgan did nothing after arrviving.

The only thing the offense has going for it is Julius Jones.

Well, Jason Witten as well.

DLR7884
Top 5 TE already....he'll only get better.

Nickdfresh
02-24-2005, 05:48 PM
THe Dallas sportswriters are not too happy with this either. Below is a link if you're interested:

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20050224/1036372.asp