PDA

View Full Version : Gutting my Wolfgang folks ...

Eyes of the Night
02-14-2005, 06:40 AM
Wella, actually just the neck pickup cause I don't use da sum bitch ... can I or should I, as retardedless as one could be, stick that fucker in the bridge of my Destroyer?

I know ... but wtf ... if nothing else just put it in her neck position ... just was wondering how that could actually could sound and wanted to read up on you fools' stories of travasties and or what not ...

Either way that neck and damn switch are coming out ... I've had it!

Eyes of the Night
02-14-2005, 04:56 PM
Okay cool, here's the speel ... I'm taking out the guts of the wolfgang leaving the bridge and 1 knob for FULL output ... just like the good ol' days ...

Then replacing *I* think the neck from da Wolf for the bridge of the destroyer seeing how an EVH pickup in itself is prob the meaning of a "hot pickup" ...

Nitro Express
02-14-2005, 07:54 PM
I have an interview with Eddie Van Halen and he said those Wolfgang pickups are wound differently. He said he was actually fucking around with one of his Wolfgangs and switched the pickups from front to back and he said it sounded God awful.

Eddie said those pickups were wound by a Peavey technitian until he got the sound he wanted. He said he never used the old Krammer guitar or a PAF for a base refference. He said those are completely different pickups and the rear and the front pickups are wound completely different and aren't interchangable. He did say the neck pickup is very different from the neck pickup on other guitars and he had a go around with Peavey on it. He said it's the way he wanted it but you need to be an aggressive player to get a good tone out of it.

I don't use the neck pickup either but it does sound good with the bridge pickup. I mean I can get kinda of Les Paul thing going that way. I use both pickups for A Whole Lotta Love and it sounds more ballsey than a Les Paul even.

Eyes of the Night
02-14-2005, 09:51 PM
True dat on the Les Pauly sound when combining them ... that's some VERY useful info there my bre ... in fact you get a 5 star from Eyes :D

Yeah, lateley I've been running into the ol' fucking knob, fucking switch as I'm turning them back while I'm supposed to be focused on my bag o' tricks;) ...

It might have a new pair of balls so to speak in that it will be BACK to the ol' 1 pickup, 1 knob approach straight up volume/tone ... unless you tell me that by taking out the neck PU that it would hinder gain somehow ...

twonabomber
02-15-2005, 02:05 AM
i'd say 80% of the time i'm playing only through the neck pickup...unless it's my Hamer, since it currently doesn't have a neck pickup in it.

Eyes of the Night
02-15-2005, 03:55 AM
Word up twonabizomber ... how the hell ya been? Still getting 2 weeks off at a time? Niice ...

To me, there's no LIFE in the neck PU ... it's so bland n' shit ... and of course I'm a "no mids" kind of guy ... thinking you would have to turn your mids hella high to get any clearvoyance out of da neck ...

Course I'd do it once in a great while when I cover a MUDHONEY song or two ... that though is like your Hamar ... rarely ...

BrownSound1
02-15-2005, 05:16 PM
Why take it out? Just don't switch to it if you aren't going to use it.

Eyes of the Night
02-15-2005, 05:29 PM
Cause I'm cool like that!? ... Just don't switch to it? ... C'mon BS1 read the posts my bre ... it's in my way cause I'm sloppy like that jumping around going apeshit n' stuff ...

I could always tape the switch upwards but am just kinda stoked having just the bridge and volume knob may excite it more ... meaning it could be louder by itself than it is now and IF NOT then that's fine too ...

BrownSound1
02-15-2005, 05:35 PM
Removing the neck pickup will not effect the output of the bridge pickup in any way, shape, form, or fashion.

Denny
02-15-2005, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Eyes
Wella, actually just the neck pickup cause I don't use da sum bitch ... can I or should I, as retardedless as one could be, stick that fucker in the bridge of my Destroyer?

I know ... but wtf ... if nothing else just put it in her neck position ... just was wondering how that could actually could sound and wanted to read up on you fools' stories of travasties and or what not ...

Either way that neck and damn switch are coming out ... I've had it!

Just junk that fucking guitar and get a Musicman Axis......

It is a way better quality guitar than those Peavey banjos.

Eyes of the Night
02-15-2005, 05:52 PM
Had that feeling because isn't there just a bypass wire and a combo wire when you switch?

Don't matter really ... the shit's just IN MY WAY ... lol

Eyes of the Night
02-15-2005, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Denny
Just junk that fucking guitar and get a Musicman Axis......

It is a way better quality guitar than those Peavey banjos.

Buwahahaha!!! ... good shit denny cause you must be thinking looks ... you don't even know how much I put into my Wolf ...

Cathedral
02-15-2005, 07:58 PM
I rally wish you would refrain from butchering your axe. your posts in here are making me cringe, bro, lmmfao.

In your way? learn to adapt man. gutting a Wolfgang like your doing is considered a crime in some cities. :)

Eyes of the Night
02-15-2005, 11:26 PM
I'm having it pro done if that makes you feel any better ... and yeah in my way why fookin' not? Jeez, in some cities you'd be called a dictator n' shit ... free country bro:p lmao! ...

How you doin' Cat? ... Howz your health? ...

I had my tubes pro done too ... just because I didn't have a cheat sheet on how to stripe a guitar doesn't mean what you think it means ... if that means anything at all ... lmmfao rolling ...

Oh and I'm playing through a Marshall 160a cab now too ... you all caught up now broham?:D

Cathedral
02-16-2005, 12:54 AM
lMMFAO, Ok then, as long as it isn't getting butchered.
I was considering coming out there and taking that axe away from you and giving you an old Hondo II to hack up, lmmfao.

As for my health, according to my Dr. I couldn't be in better health considering where i was two and a half years ago. thanks for asking. ;)

Get you an old Marshall Plexi head and your in bizznes, brohammage.

You got your effects all together yet?

And thanks for the update......................

Eyes of the Night
02-16-2005, 03:21 AM
That's fucking cool CAT ... and remember always the first cat up in this mug to give you that nickname aight ... Coo ...

Hey man, as much as I'm hacking up Ed's axe, and you had a way valid point because I don't know how many black wolfies with ivory trim that are even on his shirt with a cig smoking on both sides of it are left out there ... ya know ...

Yeah, it was SO shitty of a paint job that I think I may be able to SCRAPE the stripes off along with the paint to it's OG state ... just thought of that one too? ...

Thing was it was my cash that I gave to him for it ... it's not signed so it's not worth it's original state even how few are out there for me right now ... I'm in rock star mode and am ashamed but as even as much of a hack I am there's still that shit that gives you "goosebumps on your arm and make your hairs stand up" ... Not my chops per say but the OVERALL groove BT and I have out of bremerton IS "high energy grunge" once we hire peeps to play our magic and sell gold at least I'll be in this state ti'll I turn 31 ...

Then it's back to computer networking ...

update? ... I haven't even started!

Cathedral
02-16-2005, 03:34 AM
Man, I have destroyed a few axes by going for that "Thrown in the truck bed caseless, EVH style" look, lol.

I could lay a finish on the fucker so smooth and shiny you'd shit your pants and blind the audience reflecting light, lol.
But i ain't cheap and neither are the materials needed to do it.

My philosophy used to be: "It don't mean a thing if it ain't got them dings".
Now, I'm a polishing fool and get pissed when i find new one's, lol.

Mellowing out may keep a guy alive a little longer, but it sure is a boring ride.

Eyes of the Night
02-16-2005, 04:05 AM
Listen, I HEAR that shit my bre ... look at me, if you could right now, I'm fucking torn, been UP for 4 days now riding this high broken down n' dirty dressed in rags ...

Yeah, but here's the thing maybe really to this all is when that shit happened for you guys it was already a drawn out thing in a way that if I did that shit, brought back a part of Ed with me in seattle peeps be blown away because it's NEVER been done like that ... wella maybe Alice n' Chains but I'm true fans of them also ... The ol' "it's like somebody stealing your car coming back the next week saying ... "hey check out my new car!" ...

It's my 1 year mission really ... everything in my life up to this point is starting to sit in my lap ... connections of key players who GET YOU THERE up here ... layed in the right hands I could get lucky because there's so many out there that are 10 times gifted as I ...

Eyes of the Night
02-16-2005, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by Cathedral

Get you an old Marshall Plexi head and your in bizznes, brohammage.

You got your effects all together yet?

I don't need something OLD;) ... the 50II is the shit ...

Effects? ... Rigt now I'm using 2 Line6 modulators ... MM4 and the DL4 ... I'm prob keeping the DL4 for the vintage tape effects but the MM4 will be replaced once I get an MXR reissue Flanger and a phase pedal ...

Nitro Express
02-17-2005, 03:29 AM
Ed reversed the toggle switch on the Wolfgang from the normal Gibson layout because he was always bumping it with his arm when he tapped. He said the switch on the EVH Musicman guitar was really in the way.

I play a SG and Les Paul and I always liked where the switch was on a Paul because flipping the switch on an SG is not as natural or ergonomic. I play lots of Les Zeppelin and Jimmy Page used that switch a lot and it's so natural. You really learn how to use the Les Paul layout studying Jimmy Page.

I like the Wolfgang because it takes some of the elements of a Les Paul I like and kinda combines it with a Telecaster. For me, I think Ed got everything right on that guitar. I don't think the Wolfgang is the most beautiful guitar in the world but it's got the goods where it counts. I love the pickups and the neck. It's not a cool guitar like Ed's 5150 Kramer but anyone who isn't Ed looks like such a poser with one of those strapped on. I always thought the Musicmans and Wolgangs were cool because it was Ed's guitar but it wasn't.

The Wolfgang just kinda has that Fender feel on steroids feel that I dig. I never was into the thin necked shredding guitars. The Wolfgang has that Telecaster vibe but it feels like you can burn on it too. Very cool. The pickups just scream and for the beef, run both of them at the same time. Ilove it!

Nitro Express
02-17-2005, 03:39 AM
Telecasters and Strats you can throw into the truck like firewood, lay them around, have your two year old jump on it. They just won't break unles you go ape shit and do the Jimi Hendrix at Montery thing.

I don't have a case for my Strat and it shows. I've always been more of a Gibson guy and that famouse headstock is so fragile, it can pop off if the guitar falls out of it's stand. I love SG's for Pete Townsend ape shit Young Man Blues stuff. I just have the magical SG that resinates like a motherfucker and through a good fuzz peddle and amp, it's the shit! But that guitar is FRAGILE! It wouldn't take much to pop the neck off or snap the headstock off. That guitar has a nice case it lives in when I'm not playing it. A Strat will get a cool personality in the truck bed bouncing and sliding around, an SG will fall apart.

Eyes of the Night
02-22-2005, 03:16 AM
No worries ...

I decided JUST to take the tone knob OFF, so it's harder to turn and taped the switch upwards ...