PDA

View Full Version : A Question for Elvis and other "Christians"

scorpioboy33
02-14-2005, 11:18 PM
Do you have a problem with the content of some Van Halen songs?
For instance do you enjoy "Running with the Devil" etc. Does it contridict with your beliefs.

scorpioboy33
02-14-2005, 11:26 PM
and btw please don't take this as any attack..was just curious about stuff like the Sex refrences...or whatever if the effect you or bother you

rustoffa
02-14-2005, 11:29 PM
Are you a "Christian"?

rustoffa
02-14-2005, 11:34 PM
C'mon holmes....

I'm just tryin' to lay some groundwork for ya.

Satan
02-14-2005, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by scorpioboy33
For instance do you enjoy "Running with the Devil" etc. Does it contridict with your beliefs.

Not in the least :cool:

lms2
02-14-2005, 11:38 PM
Doesn't bother me.

When God created the Heavens and the earth....

see, you never hear about when God created the heavens and the earth and the hell... Yeah, I know, most christians believe that Hell is beneath the earth.. but everyone knows if you dig far enough you will reach China... not hell!

This Christian believes that we are all running with the devil. God sent his son to die for our sins... and God says that we are all sinners. to believe otherwise is to consider yourself perfect, and that is a sin...

Aw heck... its only rock and roll (but I like it!)...

ELVIS
02-14-2005, 11:42 PM
I have no problem with Van halen lyrics...

I would not suggest someone base their life on what David Lee Roth said in a song...

rustoffa
02-14-2005, 11:42 PM
tick-tock....tick-tock......

I love wasting time with theological checkers.

Not like a race flag, like a board game.

C'mon thread starter......

Cathedral
02-15-2005, 12:32 AM
I don't listen to RWTD anymore, i hardly listen to VH anymore at all.
I'm a work-o-holic these days and don't even listen to music much.

I am writing some music though, with a positive message for the youth of today.
As for being a "Christian"...I don't care for labels, that one in particular covers so many different doctrines and views on Christ that they don't intersect with one another.

I'm a student with much yet to learn about God and his plans for us all.
I keep tripping up and can't seem to get it together lately.

It's tough!

scorpioboy33
02-15-2005, 12:38 AM
Im a Christian but not in a strict sense. I believe in God but I think all religions have truth. But anyways I after listening to that excellent Zappa interview it made me wonder how "Christians" of the fund. leanings dealt with the lyrics....Cool thanks

lms2
02-15-2005, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by Cathedral
I am writing some music though, with a positive message for the youth of today. As for being a "Christian"...I don't care for labels, that one in particular covers so many different doctrines and views on Christ that they don't intersect with one another.

I'm a student with much yet to learn about God and his plans for us all.
I keep tripping up and can't seem to get it together lately.

It's tough!

Good onya Cat... nothing in life that is worth doing comes easy... :D

scorpioboy33
02-15-2005, 12:47 AM
Im pro van halen
Pro everything..Im totaly believe in do what you want to
Is it hypocritical for a Christian to dig songs about sex..drugs etc...
Like can you say things like "shut the fuck up" and claim to be a christian...again I think you can ...just playing devils advocated

Cathedral
02-15-2005, 12:53 AM
Amen to that, and i must be getting real close to the truth because i can't ever remember when temptation and opportunity has been so prominantly in my face.

I screwed up major in the last year due to pure lust, but it did eventually sink in that my judgement was in error and i was involved in things i was not able to commit to 100%.

Lots of bad stuff went down and damn near sent me back to therapy.

Problem is, I fear i crossed a line that will cost me dearly.

lms2
02-15-2005, 12:56 AM
If God brings you to it, he will bring you through it!

scorpioboy33
02-15-2005, 01:04 AM
OK so once again...so you two seem like pretty fund. Is it okay to use words like fuck...if not why do you then? I mean in the sense isn't it a capital sin to know somethings wrong and do it over and over ...

lms2
02-15-2005, 01:17 AM
Scorpio... the thought is just as bad as the deed. You pray for pure thoughts, but to have impure thoughts, and deny that you do is hypocrissy.

so, if you think Fuck, but say Frick, or Fak... whats the difference. God knows whats in your heart!

scorpioboy33
02-15-2005, 01:26 AM
Hey Im all about fuck...FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK...so were the same...the heathen and the christian

aesop
02-15-2005, 08:08 AM
Hey Im all about fuck...FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK...so were the same...the heathen and the christian

The only problem there is that fuck really is not a swear word. The Lord God said "Thou shall not use the Lord's name in vain". Since God's name isn't Fuck, I think we're in the clear there.

Now God Damn or Jesus Christ are true swear words...Different story. We'd have to go back to our European ancestors to find out why shit and fuck are considered bad words, but I do not refrain from using them just because someone once said those words were bad (and that someone is not God).

Nickdfresh
02-15-2005, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by aesop
The only problem there is that fuck really is not a swear word. The Lord God said "Thou shall not use the Lord's name in vain". Since God's name isn't Fuck, I think we're in the clear there.

Now God Damn or Jesus Christ are true swear words...Different story. We'd have to go back to our European ancestors to find out why shit and fuck are considered bad words, but I do not refrain from using them just because someone once said those words were bad (and that someone is not God).

It's an acronym for a Van Hagar album, which DOES make it a swear word!:D

aesop
02-15-2005, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
It's an acronym for a Van Hagar album, which DOES make it a swear word!:D

True, Oh wise sage...

ODShowtime
02-15-2005, 08:38 AM
I screwed up major in the last year due to pure lust,
Problem is, I fear i crossed a line that will cost me dearly.

Getting a little strange there Cat? Good for you!;)

YAWN
02-15-2005, 10:38 AM

Contradict? Hardly. "Runnin' With the Devil" is the Biblical anthem of Judas Iscariot. ;)

Cathedral
02-15-2005, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by ODShowtime
Getting a little strange there Cat? Good for you!;)

Na, not so much strange as just giving in to loneliness.

Confession is good for the soul, so i'll try it out here first, lol.

Ok, I met this older woman, she was married to a jerk, I was lonely because my wife currently resides in a hospital and she was pushing me to find someone to engage in sex with.
I was against this for a long time, and then something changed.

This woman persued me and i finally stopped avoiding her and took a chance.
She got pregnant, moved in with me, lost the baby and then moved out taking a large sum of my money with her.

A few months later she shows up again claiming to be sorry and in love with me...Love was not what i was after, been there, done that.

Anyway, for the last 4 months i have stuck to my guns and have not given her a second chance with me, and she cannot let it go.
You should have seen the Valentine Card she sent me yesterday.
It pretty much says i'm a heartbreaker and that "I tore her soul apart" along with lines claiming all i did was lie to her.

I'll say this though, the whole thing just made me love my wife more, and even though she was the author of the idea in the beginning, I still feel as though I betrayed her (my wife) by being with another woman.
When my first wife passed away, the cancer had done so much damage in such a short period of time that she was gone before we could even come to terms with it.
This time around it is a slow process of neurological deterioration, and it's been going on for 6 years now...she is not doing well at this point.

So, I got selfish and maybe perhaps very angry at God that my two attempts at starting a family ended up with me standing over a coffin, and that is what i have to look forward too in my not too distant future yet again.
I lost my first child in 01 to a drunk driver, which was my only child with my first wife.
I have a 9 year old daughter with my current wife and the pain and emotional distress she sometimes falls into just rips my heart out, I don't know how to ease her pain cause i can't even ease my own.
So we just cope and try to get through it one day at a time.

Watching someone you care about suffer and fade away is quite possibly the hardest thing i can imagine anyone ever doing on this earth. There is something to be said about sudden death though.
It gives you the opportunity to grieve and move on.

This time i don't have that luxery, and it is really killing my faith in God that he seems to think i can shoulder all of this and stay sane.

I cracked and strayed, maybe to try and pay God back in some way, but the joke was on me...It only served to conflict me more and i became an adulterer when it was all said and done.

I'm blessed with a great job, and building a business of my own, but i don't seem to be happy at all.
I guess i just want to know why it was my destiny to lose at love twice in one lifetime?
In many ways i have become a very cold hearted person, but i guess laying your spouse to rest can do that to a guy.

I have made a vow to myself though, and that is never to seek intimacy from anyone ever again. I'm done with all that and all i want out of life now is to keep my daughter safe and focus on building wealth so she'll never want or need for anything.

Sex without love is an empty experience, for me anyway.
I just hope i never fall in love again, i can't chance it again at this point and there is no way i can ever have any faith in spending my life with a mate.
She would never have all of me anyway, so it would be doomed to failure from the start.

There is a point to this maddness though, and it is that we should never take those in our lives for granted.
be thankful for the blessings you have in life and understand that it could all come crashing down in an instant.

Treat each day as your last, and you won't miss out on anything good life has to offer.
Just try to make the best choices possible......................

kentuckyklira
02-15-2005, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by ELVIS
I have no problem with Van halen lyrics...

I would not suggest someone base their life on what David Lee Roth said in a song... I love basing my life on stuff Dave sings in his songs!:)

ELVIS
02-15-2005, 12:00 PM
Na, not so much strange as just giving in to loneliness.

Confession is good for the soul, so i'll try it out here first, lol.

Ok, I met this older woman, she was married to a jerk, I was lonely because my wife currently resides in a hospital and she was pushing me to find someone to engage in sex with.
I was against this for a long time, and then something changed.

This woman persued me and i finally stopped avoiding her and took a chance.
She got pregnant, moved in with me, lost the baby and then moved out taking a large sum of my money with her.

A few months later she shows up again claiming to be sorry and in love with me...Love was not what i was after, been there, done that.

Anyway, for the last 4 months i have stuck to my guns and have not given her a second chance with me, and she cannot let it go.
You should have seen the Valentine Card she sent me yesterday.
It pretty much says i'm a heartbreaker and that "I tore her soul apart" along with lines claiming all i did was lie to her.

I'll say this though, the whole thing just made me love my wife more, and even though she was the author of the idea in the beginning, I still feel as though I betrayed her (my wife) by being with another woman.
When my first wife passed away, the cancer had done so much damage in such a short period of time that she was gone before we could even come to terms with it.
This time around it is a slow process of neurological deterioration, and it's been going on for 6 years now...she is not doing well at this point.

So, I got selfish and maybe perhaps very angry at God that my two attempts at starting a family ended up with me standing over a coffin, and that is what i have to look forward too in my not too distant future yet again.
I lost my first child in 01 to a drunk driver, which was my only child with my first wife.
I have a 9 year old daughter with my current wife and the pain and emotional distress she sometimes falls into just rips my heart out, I don't know how to ease her pain cause i can't even ease my own.
So we just cope and try to get through it one day at a time.

Watching someone you care about suffer and fade away is quite possibly the hardest thing i can imagine anyone ever doing on this earth. There is something to be said about sudden death though.
It gives you the opportunity to grieve and move on.

This time i don't have that luxery, and it is really killing my faith in God that he seems to think i can shoulder all of this and stay sane.

I cracked and strayed, maybe to try and pay God back in some way, but the joke was on me...It only served to conflict me more and i became an adulterer when it was all said and done.

I'm blessed with a great job, and building a business of my own, but i don't seem to be happy at all.
I guess i just want to know why it was my destiny to lose at love twice in one lifetime?
In many ways i have become a very cold hearted person, but i guess laying your spouse to rest can do that to a guy.

I have made a vow to myself though, and that is never to seek intimacy from anyone ever again. I'm done with all that and all i want out of life now is to keep my daughter safe and focus on building wealth so she'll never want or need for anything.

Sex without love is an empty experience, for me anyway.
I just hope i never fall in love again, i can't chance it again at this point and there is no way i can ever have any faith in spending my life with a mate.
She would never have all of me anyway, so it would be doomed to failure from the start.

There is a point to this maddness though, and it is that we should never take those in our lives for granted.
be thankful for the blessings you have in life and understand that it could all come crashing down in an instant.

Treat each day as your last, and you won't miss out on anything good life has to offer.
Just try to make the best choices possible......................

WOW...:(

ODShowtime
02-15-2005, 12:07 PM
Shitballs, yeah. Well, that puts things into perspective.

Well, I wish you luck with your wife and daughter. :)

Cathedral
02-15-2005, 03:11 PM
Sorry for the long winded, far too much info post.
This is why i hate days off cause it just allowes me to sit and think to damn much.

I needed to vent, so i did.

Roth On!

BigBadBrian
02-15-2005, 04:35 PM
Sorry for the long winded, far too much info post.
This is why i hate days off cause it just allowes me to sit and think to damn much.

I needed to vent, so i did.

Roth On!

I knew about the situation with your family, but not the "other" situation obviously. Vent on....if it helps. Take care, dude. :)

Little_Skittles
02-15-2005, 04:48 PM

Music is just that music. no it doesn't bother me does it contradict my beliefs yes but i'm not doing these things so whatever dave is a big boy. he makes his choices and i make mine.

Warham
02-15-2005, 05:41 PM
All religions have truth? What about the Heaven's Gate cult led by Marshall Applewhite? Is there truth in his ramblings about alien ships flying in the tail of the Hale-Bopp comet? I mean, all religions have some kernel of truth, right?

"We take the prize, I guess, of being the cult of cults.", Marshall Applewhite.

If you believe all religions have some truth, I have some nice land I'd like to sell to you.

Nickdfresh
02-15-2005, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Warham
All religions have truth? What about the Heaven's Gate cult led by Marshall Applewhite? Is there truth in his ramblings about alien ships flying in the tail of the Hale-Bopp comet? I mean, all religions have some kernel of truth, right?

If you believe all religions have some truth, I have some nice land I'd like to sell to you.

What about the Branch Dividians? They were Christians, right?

ELVIS
02-15-2005, 08:28 PM
I mean, all religions have some kernel of truth, right?

No...

ODShowtime
02-15-2005, 08:42 PM

Well, he was telling the truth when he said that a comet really was passing kinda close to the earth. And he was telling the truth that everyone was leaving the earth after they drank their kool-aid or whatever.

Cathedral
02-15-2005, 09:22 PM
Didn't David Koresh think he was Jesus Christ or something?

I wonder how well Janet Reno sleeps at night.
I think that whole massacre could have been avoided.

LoungeMachine
02-15-2005, 09:32 PM

I think that whole massacre could have been avoided.

We say the same thing about Iraq every fucking day....

But we're talking about tens of thousands.......

:confused:

Cathedral
02-15-2005, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
We say the same thing about Iraq every fucking day....

But we're talking about tens of thousands.......

:confused:

Yeah, but millions of people now have a shot at freedom and though i know that every single life is important, taking down Saddam needed to happen.
However, it should have happened in '91.

That's my whole thing, man.
WMD never meant anything to me, I wanted the job in Iraq finished and GW did that.

I just wonder if it would have been an easier task back then, then i remember that it was a time when WMD did in fact exist in Iraq.

And i still want to know what happened to Saddams stockpile of chemical weapons.
He did indeed have them, he did indeed use them, they went somewhere, so where did they go and when?

scorpioboy33
02-15-2005, 09:55 PM

so you think Christians have the monopoly on truth? If so which Christians?

Warham
02-15-2005, 10:34 PM
Never said that, did I scorpio?

scorpioboy33
02-16-2005, 05:09 AM
whatever..not a big deal...believe what you shall