PDA

View Full Version : CNN's Nuke Plant Photos Identical for Both Iran and N. Korea!

FORD
02-15-2005, 01:24 AM
CNN's Nuke Plant Photos Identical for Both Iran and N. Korea!

Who's the source for the photos?!
And are there any responsible corporate media outlets left in America?

Two stories posted in the last week on the CNN website, one on nukes in Iran last Wednesday, and another on nukes in North Korea on Saturday, both use the same aerial photograph of the same purported nuclear power plant!

But one is supposed to be in Iran and the other is supposed to be in North Korea!

A story posted Saturday to CNN's website suggesting that North Korea is rallying behind their leader Kim Jong Il in his latest nuclear saber-rattling makes use of a satellite photo described in the caption as "An aerial photo of North Korea's Yongbyon nuclear plant outside of Pyongyang".

http://www.bradblog.com/Images/CNN_Nukes_NKorea.jpg

Oddly enough, last Wednesday the CNN website ran a story on nuclear weapons in Iran with an image captioned "Satellite image of a suspected Iranian nuclear-related facility".

The photo from that story is below:

http://www.bradblog.com/Images/CNN_Nukes_Iran.jpg

Look familiar? Look very closely at both pictures if it doesn't.

In truth, if this wasn't so sad (and actually somewhat frightening) the irony of the sub-title for CNN's Iran story -- "Former weapons inspector: 'It's déjà vu all over again'" -- might be somewhat amusing. In the piece, U.S. chief weapons inspector David Kay is quoted urging the U.S. "not to make the same mistakes with Iran that he said it made with Iraq".

Déjà vu, indeed.

All of which begs at least these questions:

Who is the source for these photos? Was it the same person in both instances? Were they supplied by someone who may have an interest in ginning-up fears over the two so-far unconquered players in Bush's "Axis of Evil"?

Or will it be another CNN staffer who steps forward again to take the fall for this one?

And finally, a question that has been asked all too frequently here over the past year: What the hell has happened to the media in this country? Are there simply no national media organizations left who know how to do the job of reporting accurately, responsibly and in such a way that doesn't send us to war again due to their utter failure to do their jobs correctly?! (Yes, Judith Miller of The New York Times, we're talking to you...but you're not the only one).

The tip on this came in after midnight early Monday morning, too late to make any calls to try and get some answers to the above before going to sleep for the evening. However, we hope that by the time we wake, someone from the responsible media -- which apparently seems to be now considerably narrowed to the likes of bloggers and Internet-only news sites like RAW STORY -- gets some answers to these questions before CNN once again aids and abets the Bush administration into sending this country into yet another unnecessary and immoral war.

Unbelievable. :rolleyes:

ODShowtime
02-15-2005, 08:35 AM
Ford, who cares if the gov't colludes with the media to trick us into wanting war? Yawn.

Nickdfresh
02-15-2005, 08:43 AM
I think it's just lazy journalism more than anything else.

Cathedral
02-15-2005, 08:55 AM
It's not the "so-called" liberal media. It is called the "liberal media".

But, until i have more info i'm going with Nick and the "lazy journalism" theory.

ODShowtime
02-15-2005, 08:57 AM
I have to agree with both of you that that is the most likely explanation.

PhilFlappoRogan
02-16-2005, 07:14 PM
UN inspectors 'spent their days drinking'
By Francis Harris
(Filed: 16/02/2005)

UN inspectors in Iraq spent their working hours drinking vodka while ignoring a shadowy nocturnal fleet believed to be smuggling goods for Saddam Hussein, a former senior inspector told the US Senate yesterday.

In a move that provoked fury from officials of the Swiss firm Cotecna, an Australian former inspector detailed a picture of incompetence, indifference and drunkeness among the men acting as the frontline for UN sanctions.

Arthur Ventham, a former Australian army officer and customs officer, joined the operation in 2002 and worked at various sites in Iraq and neighbouring states.

He said that at Iskendurun in eastern Turkey, some officials had refused to work.

When he asked one of his bosses why, he was told: "They were friends or relatives of potential clients, and are only in the mission so the company could secure future contracts in Nigeria, Comoros and another African country.

"When I said that this was unfair on everyone else, I was told that it was general practice in Cotecna."

Other inspectors had spent most of the day in hotel rooms while others drank beer and talked to the local people.

Inspectors were supposed to check lorries to make sure the UN sanctions regime was being enforced.

At another monitoring site where the UN was supposed to check humanitarian aid supplies, Mr Ventham noticed "the team leader and his fellow countrymen [the nationality is unstated] spending the majority of their time in each other's rooms drinking vodka as opposed to managing and leading the team".

There he noticed small vessels and barges moving to a small island each night.

"I mentioned this to a number of other inspectors saying there was plenty of scope for smuggling and what were the UN doing about it.

"I was extremely surprised by the response that it was common knowledge smuggling was going on at Um Qasir [and that] the oil was being sold on the black market to augment the regime."

Cotecna officials said the unheralded release of Mr Ventham's allegations was unfair and that they would respond in detail at a later date. They said Mr Ventham had been dismissed and was a disgruntled former employee.

ELVIS
02-16-2005, 07:19 PM
Hahaha...

:elvis:

Cathedral
02-16-2005, 08:09 PM
Hmmmmm, vedy interesting.

ODShowtime
02-18-2005, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
Hahaha...

:elvis:

I fail to see the humor in this. If the sanctions we helped impose would have worked, we may never have invaded Iraq, saving hundreds of thousands of lives. Of course I wouldn't expect you to follow the implication trail that far down the line.

BigBadBrian
02-18-2005, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by ODShowtime
I fail to see the humor in this. If the sanctions we helped impose would have worked, we may never have invaded Iraq, saving hundreds of thousands of lives. Of course I wouldn't expect you to follow the implication trail that far down the line.

Oh, but it is a joke. A joke of the highest magnitude. Only it isn't a very funny joke, is it?

"Let the inspection process work!," they cried.

While the inspectors were passing a fucking bottle of Vodka around, Saddam was playing his cat and mouse games...FOR 12 YEARS.

Saddam had nothing to hide from the inspectors. :rolleyes:

Geez, how much longer were we supposed to let this crap go on? How much longer would it have taken for this inspection process to have worked? :rolleyes:

Katydid
02-23-2005, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
Oh, but it is a joke. A joke of the highest magnitude. Only it isn't a very funny joke, is it?

"Let the inspection process work!," they cried.

While the inspectors were passing a fucking bottle of Vodka around, Saddam was playing his cat and mouse games...FOR 12 YEARS.

Saddam had nothing to hide from the inspectors. :rolleyes:

Geez, how much longer were we supposed to let this crap go on? How much longer would it have taken for this inspection process to have worked? :rolleyes:

The inspectors had a cushiony job and put their kids almost into college off the inspections...Why mess up a good deal? If war started they'd be out of a job. Let Hussein have time to move all his weapons of mass destruction ...

Warham
02-23-2005, 12:40 AM
Yeah, the inspections were fucking working OD. While the UN, France, Germany and Russian were all cashing in from Saddam on the Oil For Food scandal.

Oh, I'm sure the inspections were going according to plan!! Uh huh!

ODShowtime
02-23-2005, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by Warham
Yeah, the inspections were fucking working OD. While the UN, France, Germany and Russian were all cashing in from Saddam on the Oil For Food scandal.

Oh, I'm sure the inspections were going according to plan!! Uh huh!

When you're done yucking it up, you can explain to me the proof you have that the inspections weren't working.

Disclaimer: I'm not stating that things weren't fucked up and corrupted, leading to hardships for ordinary Iraqis, but you simply can't prove that the inspection regime wasn't preventing Saddam from developing WMD.

Warham
02-23-2005, 09:55 AM
Regime is the right word there.

DLR'sCock
02-23-2005, 04:27 PM
wow, you people really are insane if you need to go this far to believe this bs story from where??? what's the source????....this delusion is serious....grabbing at anything.....

it's sad really...

JCOOK
02-24-2005, 07:42 PM
We need real inspectors over there....people who will find the TRUTH no matter what the cost. I nominate Ford...Dlrs Cock...Demon Cunt...Nick and Pink Spyder!

Nickdfresh
02-24-2005, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by JCOOK
We need real inspectors over there....people who will find the TRUTH no matter what the cost. I nominate Ford...Dlrs Cock...Demon Cunt...Nick and Pink Spyder!

I think maybe we can find something for you JC:
http://www.rhinotechnologies.com/fun/clue.gif

JCOOK
02-24-2005, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
I think maybe we can find something for you JC:
http://www.rhinotechnologies.com/fun/clue.gif

I thought you guys would be proud to go and serve your country especially since you've elected yourselves as keepers of the truth!:rolleyes: