PDA

View Full Version : FBI Agent Warned Baseball About Steroid Use -Report

ALinChainz
02-15-2005, 09:13 PM
Tue Feb 15, 3:32 PM ET

RALEIGH, North Carolina (Reuters) - A federal agent says he warned baseball officials a decade ago that some of its players were using steroids, but the officials took no action, a New York newspaper reported on Tuesday.

The Daily News said FBI (news - web sites) Special Agent Greg Stejskal told the newspaper he informed baseball security chief Kevin Hallinan that Jose Canseco and many other players were using illegal anabolic steroids in the 1990s.

"There's little question the use of steroids was very widespread in baseball," Stejskal told the Daily News. "Major League Baseball in effect, they didn't sanction it, but they certainly looked the other way."

Hallinan denied talking to Stejskal.

Stejskal conducted a steroid investigation for the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) in the 1990s.

"I alerted Major League Baseball back in the time when we had the case, that Canseco was a heavy user and that they should be aware of it," said Stejskal.

"I spoke to the people in their security office. Hallinan was one of the people I spoke to."

Stejskal said Hallinan "seemed interested," but there was little he could do since MLB did not agree to a steroid testing program or disciplinary sanctions until 2002.

Hallinan denied he had ever spoken to Stejskal.

"It did not happen," Hallinan said. "Not with this guy, not with anybody else.

"If a guy comes to me and makes a statement like that, I'm going to squeeze him like a wet rag. The name doesn't ring a bell at all."

Stejskal said he first contacted baseball security in 1995 or 1996 to inform officials about steroid use by Canseco and other players.

He also contacted them after Canseco claimed in 1998 that up to 80 per cent of ballplayers use steroids, Stejskal said.

Canseco's book, "Juiced: Wild Times, Rampant 'Roids, Smash Hits, and How Baseball Got Big," was released Monday. Sales made it an instant bestseller.

In the book, Canseco alleges that team mates Mark McGwire, Jason Giambi, Ivan Rodriguez, Rafael Palmeiro and Juan Gonzalez used steroids. All have denied his accusations.

Stejskal said some of those names came up in the FBI investigation, but he would not say who they were.

Gmoney
02-16-2005, 07:35 PM
Too bad steroids don't increase the size of your brain. Canseco is an idiot.

ALinChainz
02-16-2005, 07:36 PM
LaRussa will be on 60 Minutes also.

He knew all about it, like the rest of baseball.

Gmoney
02-16-2005, 07:41 PM
The A's knew he was on roids and still got him back after trading him. Screw LaRussa!!

ALinChainz
02-16-2005, 07:44 PM
This thing won't die anytime soon.

Baseball was in trouble after the strike and lo and behold, a ton of home runs started to get hit and people started coming back to the ballparks.

They all knew. They all let it go so the big money would return.

Strange angle on "for the good of the game".