View Full Version : Sharon to Stay the Course of Gaza Pullout

Nickdfresh
02-16-2005, 10:01 AM
Sharon stands by Gaza withdrawal

By KARIN LAUB
Associated Press
2/16/2005
_
JERUSALEM - Prime Minister Ariel Sharon said Tuesday he has already begun coordinating a Gaza withdrawal with the Palestinians and won't be deterred by increasingly belligerent opposition at home, including threats against him and his Cabinet ministers.

In the West Bank, Israeli troops killed two armed Palestinians who the army said approached a West Bank settlement. The two belonged to the Al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigades, a violent group with ties to Palestinian Mahmoud Abbas' Fatah movement. Militants said gunmen were from a local Al-Aqsa cell financed by Lebanese Hezbollah guerrillas who oppose a fledgling Israeli-Palestinian truce.

Al-Aqsa members indicated they would retaliate. They said the two men were guarding an abandoned Palestinian house near the settlement and were killed by Israeli troops without provocation.

Sharon, speaking at a carefully scripted news conference, said if Palestinian militants attack Israeli soldiers or settlers during the Gaza withdrawal, set to begin in July, Israel would respond harshly and may even call off the pullout.

Israel's parliament is to hold a final vote on the Gaza withdrawal today, with the plan expected to win overwhelming approval. Having lost the political battle, Jewish extremists have stepped up a campaign of intimidation against politicians who support the plan.

"In my entire life, I have never surrendered to threats, and I have no intention of starting now," Sharon said. "I conveyed this message to my fellow ministers and Knesset (parliament) members who are under pressure. The government will take all means necessary to ensure maximum security, and we will soon hold discussions on this subject."

Law enforcement officials have expressed growing concern about the threats. Officials in Israel's Shin Bet security service have said extremists might try to assassinate Sharon or attack a key Jerusalem site sacred to Muslims and Jews in a last-ditch attempt to stop the withdrawal.

Sharon said he does not fear for his life and will push ahead with the Gaza plan.

The prime minister originally envisioned the Gaza pullout as a unilateral move, but said Tuesday he is ready to work with the new Palestinian leadership.

"We already started to coordinate," he said. "I instructed to start coordination of our withdrawal . . . from Gaza."

Sharon said he hopes coordination with Abbas will prevent Islamic militants from taking over once Israel leaves Gaza.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20050216/1010724.asp

FORD
02-16-2005, 10:08 AM
I wonder how long it will be before Sharon's true motives are revealed. This guy wants peace like Gary Cherone wants pussy.

And considering that a Likud fanatic DID murder the last Israeli PM who legitmately was trying to do something about peace, there's no way Ariel's going to risk his own ass like that.