PDA

View Full Version : Dumars, Wilkins Among Hall Finalists

ALinChainz
02-20-2005, 04:47 PM
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. - Big East coaching rivals Jim Boeheim and Jim Calhoun, and former NBA stars Joe Dumars and Dominique Wilkins are finalists for election into the Basketball Hall of Fame.

Calhoun is back for a second try, and Hubie Brown was named a finalist for the first time, as a contributor to the game. The 16 finalists were announced Sunday, and this year's class will be presented April 4 at the NCAA Final Four in St. Louis.

Previous finalists Bernard King, Maurice Cheeks, Adrian Dantley, Dennis Johnson, and Chet Walker are back on the ballot this year.

Wilkins and Dumars are finalists in their first year of consideration, as are women's coaches Van Chancellor and Sue Gunter.

Italian coach Sandro Gamba, Brazilian player Hortencia Marcari; player John Issacs; and contributor John Kerr from the Veterans Screening Committee round out the list.

Induction requires 18 of 24 votes from the Hall of Fame's Honors Committee.

Boeheim and Calhoun are both closing in on 700 career victories.

Calhoun has led Connecticut to two NCAA championships (1999, 2004), eight Big East regular-season titles, and 17 consecutive postseason tournaments.

"The phenomenal team successes we've had over the years, the championships we've won, and the wonderful young men I've been fortunate enough to coach, have been a source of great personal pride for me," Calhoun said. "But, there has been no greater recognition personally than to be told I am a Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame finalist."

Boeheim and Syracuse won the NCAA championship in 2003, and have eight Big East regular-season championships. Under Boeheim, Syracuse has made 23 NCAA tournament appearances and has been to the Final Four three times.

Dumars played his entire professional career for the Detroit Pistons, and helped them win back-to-back NBA championships (1989, 1990). He currently is president of basketball operations for the Pistons, credited for assembling the team that won the 2004 NBA title.

Dumars was a six-time NBA All-Star and MVP of the 1989 NBA Finals.

Wilkins' above-the-rim acrobatics earned him the nickname "The Human Highlight Film."

A prolific scorer, Wilkins played most of his NBA career for the Atlanta Hawks (1982-93), who retired his jersey. He also played for the Los Angeles Clippers, Boston Celtics, San Antonio Spurs and Orlando Magic. Wilkins was a nine-time NBA All-Star, and a two-time NBA Slam Dunk champion.

Brown's career touches nearly every aspect of the game. He's been NBA Coach of the Year twice (1978 in Atlanta; 2004 in Memphis), and is well-known as a TV analyst. Eight of his former assistants have gone on to become head coaches in the NBA.

Chancellor and Gunter were named finalists from the Women's Selection Committee.

Chancellor led the Houston Comets (news) to four straight WNBA titles (1997-2000) and won 439 games as the head women's coach at Ole Miss (1978-1997).

Gunter coached LSU for 22 seasons (1982-2004) and spent 16 seasons at Stephen F. Austin (1964-1980) after beginning her coaching career at Middle Tennessee State (1962-1964). She is the third-winningest coach in women's NCAA history with 708 wins, and led LSU to 14 NCAA tournament berths, including one Final Four appearance.

Candidates remain eligible until going three consecutive years without receiving a vote from the screening committee. At that point, a nominee is removed from consideration for five years before he or she can be nominated again.

Story (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=531&e=3&u=/ap/20050220/ap_on_sp_bk_ne/bko_hall_of_fame_finalists)

POJO_Risin
02-20-2005, 04:56 PM
Should Dumars get in ahead of a guy like Mo Cheeks?...both considered underrated...

ALinChainz
02-20-2005, 05:17 PM
Joe Dumars Career Highlights

Led the 1999 Pistons in three-pointers made (89, 7th in the NBA) and attempted (221, 12th) and ranked 2nd on the team in three-point percentage (.403, 15th)

Played in his 1,000th career game, totaling a game-high 18 points (4-7 3FG) and 3 assists, in a 107-75 win over the Chicago Bulls on 4/1/99

Scored his 16,000th career point against the Orlando Magic on 2/11/99

Ended the 1997-98 season ranked 2nd in Pistons history with 15,973 points, 4,478 assists and 879 steals

Led the Pistons in 1997-98 and ranked 3rd in the NBA in three-pointers made (158) and attempted (426)

Scored a 1997-98 season-high 33 points against the Washington Wizards on 4/9/98

Scored his 15,000th career point against the Charlotte Hornets on 4/11/97

Made his 6th career All-Star Game appearance in the 1997 NBA All-Star Game in Cleveland and has averaged 5.7 ppg

Received the first-ever 1996-97 NBA Sportsmanship Award, given to the player who best represents the ideals of sportsmanship on the court

Won the Walter J. Kennedy Citizenship Award for the 1993-94 season

Named to the 1992-93 All-NBA Second Team and to the 1989-90 and 1990-91 All-NBA Third Team

Named to the 1988-89, 1989-90, 1991-92 and 1992-93 NBA All-Defensive First Team and to the 1990-91 NBA All-Defensive Second Team

A tri-captain for the gold-medal winning U.S. National Team at the 1994 World Championship of Basketball in Toronto, Canada

Established a Pistons franchise record by converting 62 consecutive free-throw attempts from 3/9/91 to 4/5/91

A member of the Detroit Pistons' 1988-89 and 1989-90 back-to-back NBA championship teams

Named the Most Valuable Player of the 1989 NBA Finals, averaging 27.3 ppg during a four-game sweep of the Lakers

Has appeared in 107 career NBA Playoff games, averaging 15.9 ppg, 4.7 apg and 2.3 rpg

Tied the Pistons' franchise record for most points in a quarter with 24 against the Cleveland Cavaliers on 4/12/89

Named to the 1985-86 NBA All-Rookie Team after averaging 9.4 ppg and 4.8 rpg

==================================================

Mo Cheeks Career Highlights

Maurice Cheeks, a 15-year NBA veteran as a player, joined the Blazers on June 27, 2001, becoming the 10th head coach in the franchise's history.

Began his coaching career as an assistant coach in the CBA where he led the Quad City Thunder to the league championship in 1993-94.

Hired by the Philadelphia 76ers, in 1994, as an assistant coach. He was with the 76ers for seven seasons, spending four of them under Head Coach Larry Brown.

As 76ers assistant coach, Cheeks is credited for the development of All-Star guard Allen Iverson, the league's Most Valuable Player. He helped coach the 76ers to the 2001 NBA Finals against the Los Angeles Lakers.

Selected by Philadelphia in the second round of the 1978 NBA draft and became the 76ers starting point guard. He starred on the 1983 NBA championship team and was a four-time All-Star.

Cheeks played 15 seasons in the NBA, the first 11 with Philadelphia, before stints with San Antonio, New York, Atlanta and New Jersey. Led the 76ers in assists in all 11 seasons he played, and topped the team in steals in each of his first 10 years. Cheeks retired in 1993 as the league's all-time leader in steals and was fifth on the career assists list. The 76ers retired his jersey in February of 1995.

He shares the NBA Finals single-game record for most steals in a game with six, and he shares the single-game playoff record for most steals with eight. He was selected to the NBA's All-Defensive Team four times and played in four All-Star games. He was a member of 76ers 1983 World Championship team.

Pts - 12195
Reb - 3088
Ast - 7392
Stls - 2310

I'd give Dumars the edge over Cheeks in my opinion. Both were solid, no question.

POJO_Risin
02-20-2005, 05:27 PM
Al...

you're a basketball fan...and I know you aren't going to try and marginalize Mo Cheeks career in those few lines...just to make your Piston look better...

you know as good as the Sixers were...all those years...that Mo directed that team...not Doc...and was probably the most underrated player in the league for years...because of Doc and Malone...

I'm not trying to downplay Dumars...he should be in...but so should Mo...

POJO_Risin
02-20-2005, 05:28 PM
okay...lmfao...you altered your statement...lmfao...

I was ready to goto the mat with this one...lmfao...

ALinChainz
02-20-2005, 05:31 PM
Oh yeah ... he should be in no question.

Now I will say, sounded like you was dissin' the Piston first ... lol.

But hell yeah, never missed a Sixer game on the tube when the Doc played, so I saw Cheeks plenty.

I'd say the were on a real even keel as fars as playing careers go. Wouldn't have a problem with either of them. Played staunch defense and clutch offense, unselfish on both ends.

ALinChainz
02-20-2005, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin
okay...lmfao...you altered your statement...lmfao...

I was ready to goto the mat with this one...lmfao...

I went back for Mo's numbers.

:D

POJO_Risin
02-20-2005, 06:23 PM
I was doing the same thing...

lmfao....

not Dissin' Dumars...always liked him better than Isiah...