PDA

View Full Version : Which era do you hear most on the radio?

JuniorsGrades
02-15-2004, 11:08 PM
For all the talk of rumors with Sam the radio stations that I've heard don't play much (if at all) of the Van Hagar era. It's always Dave era. If this rumor is true about Sam being back, then the radio stations aren't doing a very good job of promoting it (thank God)....In the last two weeks I've heard Everybody Wants Some twice, Beautiful Girls, And the Cradle Will Rock, Unchained, Hot For Teacher, Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love. Damn, I keep waiting for the DJ to say something about a Roth reunion after I hear these tunes...Just like in '96....After a VH-Roth tune the DJ says there's a rumor going around that Sam's out and Dave's in....I was so happy I teared up :)

alexpgrimes
02-15-2004, 11:42 PM
I hear mostly Dave. Every once in awhile I'll hear some spam.

Julius
02-15-2004, 11:47 PM
The number 1 rock station in my area hasn't played any VH since right after the VH III debacle. It's all Godsmack and Metallica. Wankers.

Panamark
02-16-2004, 01:14 AM
The only Spammy song I ever hear (And of course the one I hate the most) is Dreams. All the other songs are Real Van Halen.

MAX
02-16-2004, 02:51 AM
Fortunately we have two pretty good hard/classic rock stations here in SLC. They play all real Halen. I've even heard "Romeo Delight" before as well as "Mean Street," "Me Wise Magic" and "Drop Dead Legs." However, every once in a while I'll hear "Summer Nights," "Best Of Both Worlds," "Why Can't This Be Roth?" or "Dreams." That's about it, just "5150" stuff. Thank God.

Fortunately all of the Van Hagar vomit left our airwaves after the debunct '96 reunion.

However, I don't listen to any of the soft rock stations. Maybe that's where they play all of those forgettable, #1, chart topping, so called "hits" that Spam folks are so proud of?

Van Hagar is just as forgetteble on any heavy/classic rock station as Poison's laughable ballads.

Panamark
02-16-2004, 03:10 AM
I heard one of our DJ's once say, "and that was Van Halen with "Dreams" or should I say "Van Hagar", what the hell happened to these guys ? Ah, but when David Lee Roth was at the Helm, they were something else !"

I shit you not, I would have rang the dude and thanked him personally if I had a phone on me at the time. Made my day hearing that, I pissed myself laughing.

Igosplut
02-16-2004, 06:51 AM
I'd rather blow my brains out that listen to ANY classic rock stations...

Same cuts, twice a day, day in and day out. Never any of the lesser known cuts, or artists......

Like being stuck with a broken FM tuner and three Cds....

BruinJer
02-16-2004, 09:18 AM
There's only one Rock station out here (the legendary KLOS) and they ONLY play Roth era VH.

BigBadBrian
02-16-2004, 11:15 AM
I hear the Dave era the most. I think it's accurate as to what is broadcast the most. When the Cheeseball era comes on I get a different station. :gulp:

Switch84
02-16-2004, 01:43 PM
:matrix: I don't listen to the radio here! Atlanta isn't exactly known for Rock, y'all! Maybe it's my Motor City snobbery that's coming into play here, but I've scanned the dial and I'm not impressed! Thank God I have the Roth era cds, or I'd be in hillbilly Hell down here!

BUWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!!!

what waz zat
02-17-2004, 02:00 AM
I hear both Roth and Hagar songs. It seems to depend on the DJ. I think slightly more Roth though. As springtime hits and the weather gets warmer, I'm sure it you'll hear more VH and especially the classic stuff

what waz zat
02-17-2004, 02:03 AM
I'm from Motown originally but in Des Moines, IA now. I go back on occasion and the RIF is playing stuff like Godsmack and Fuel but hardly any rock from the 80's and 90's. There is a cool station here though where I can herar VH, AC/DC, and Zep at least 1-2 times a day

DLR7884
02-17-2004, 02:28 AM
Out of every ten I hear on the radio 8 are Dave era, 2 are "other."

DLR7884
I also hear more solo Dave than Spam.

WACF
02-17-2004, 10:50 AM
Mostly Roth era...

Sammy Who??
02-17-2004, 11:08 AM
roth they don't play sammy era here

Bob_R
02-17-2004, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Sammy Who??
roth they don't play sammy era here

I concur (is that a word? ;) Sammy era is very rarely played here.

diamond den™
02-17-2004, 05:48 PM
I only hear the REAL VAN HALEN on the radio :)

Viking
02-17-2004, 09:21 PM
Mostly Dave. In Atlanta they use a strainer to seperate the meat from the cheese before they play it. :D

Lou
02-18-2004, 12:32 AM
Yeah in Philadelphia maybe 1 out of 10 will be Van Hagar, and that's only on the general rock stations WMMR and WYSP. The two classic rock stations here (actually one of them is based in Trenton but also claims to be the Philadelphia market) never play Slapnuts.

BTW I still have never heard any solo DLR song on the radio here except for "Slam Dunk!" in April 1998. I also didn't hear one mention of "Diamond Dave", and I listen to the radio every day.

John Ashcroft
02-19-2004, 09:48 PM
You guys aren't gonna believe this, but the fucking DJs of our only classic Rock station in Oklahoma are partial to Spammy. I know they don't choose the music, but the program director evidently is also a fan of Spammy. Which means we're "treated" to about a 50/50 mix in Oklahoma (which is blasphemy if you asked me, it should be 99.9 to .1, and only cause I like "Summer nights"...) Yeah, the fucks at KRXO talk about how big a dick Dave is, at every opportunity. And how they hope Spam and VH will reunite soon. It's part of the reason I may move east this summer...

Dave IS VH
02-20-2004, 02:15 AM
In my area it's a mix of Dave and Sammy, but I think Dave gets played slightly more.

Polk High
02-20-2004, 05:03 PM
baltimore plays much more roth 98 Rock: plays dave songs a lot. Very rarely do I hear Hagar songs. The ones they have played of hagar have been top of the world, why can't this be love, and thats about it. I can honestly say i've never heard them play dreams. they have played a large variety of roth songs. Other stations play classic VH songs more than hagar songs hands down in my area and in NY

Polk High
02-20-2004, 05:04 PM
hagar just doesn't stand the test of time

rustoffa
02-20-2004, 06:51 PM
Good ol' 96 schlock here in tha ATL is too busy stirrin' up shit to worry about playin' either.:D

Sarge
02-21-2004, 01:08 PM
I hardly ever hear Hagar on the Radio..
His songs don't stand the test of time.

Figs
11-02-2004, 03:58 PM
Oh fuck you. Fuck the lot of you. Fuck you all.

Switch84
11-02-2004, 04:38 PM
:D The classic rock station here in Atlanta (96Rock) plays mostly Roth era Van Halen with an occasional spammy song. That only happens when the resident Spam-head is dj-ing, the fucker! I've sent a flurry of emails to him about that shit.

Motor City DIVA indeed...LMAO

bueno bob
11-02-2004, 04:39 PM
It's all Roth material on the radio here...infrequently they'll play Right Now or something, but NOT often...

thepunisher
11-02-2004, 04:42 PM
Roth, I only lately heard the Van Hagar crap when they came to town.

Nickdfresh
11-02-2004, 05:24 PM
In the classic rock laden Buffalo, NY/Toronto, ONT radio market, it used to be mostly Spammy. But the last couple of years or so, the pendulum has clearly swung back to the finest DLR era Van Halen.

In fact I was thinking about posting a thread on if, like me, anyone hears far more VH in general on the radio than they did 5 or 10 years ago? I hear DLR VH every single day and I don't really listen to radio that much.