PDA

View Full Version : Gonna go out for a new guitar

DeadOrAlive
02-22-2005, 02:58 PM
Ok guys, i am going to get a new guitar. I am willing to spend 400 to 500 dollars. What do you think i should get?

kentuckyklira
02-22-2005, 03:29 PM
What kind of music?

What kind of guitars have you been comfortable with in the past?

What do you already own?

Are you looking for something completely different, or a back up for what you already have?

Eyes of the Night
02-22-2005, 03:47 PM
Ibanez Dinky ...

300 bones or get a # that has them cheaper ... most dealers will match that price ...

ThrillsNSpills
02-22-2005, 04:04 PM
It's too personal an issue, Dead.
You could get a great axe for your dollar, but you have to play a bunch to see what's a good fit for you. We all have different preferences. I agree with Eyes regarding Dinky's ( they are made by Jackson), I happen to love Steinbergers and headless instruments. Other guys like Les Pauls but i'm bad on them. You have to get one that brings out the best in you.

Eyes of the Night
02-22-2005, 05:33 PM
Jackson ... same dif;)

What sound do you want to copy Dead? If it's eddie, dive bombs, and stripes then any strat cept for Fender Squire's made in mexico or idonesia yada yada ... so right there that excludes what your price range is and any floyd put on a strat is an extra 60 bones from my source ...

Top 3? ...

Dinky ... (cause da trem I think and those reverse headstocks are killer. I started out with a Kramer ZX30H that I kicked the shit out of for 3 years wishin' now how DINKY could of helped me)

Ibanez Destroyer reissue ... great beginner neck action so easy to learn it's like butta ... You get WAY MORE brownsound but no whammy effects can be produced unless installed ...

Fender Tele ... actually rented a tele for 3 months before deciding by 14 that it was a go like full throttle yes I want to DO THAT when I grow up ... Now any squire model in this category made outside is coo beans ... get them down to 199.00 ... no whammy period

Anything you get though you're wanna check for a "CE" label, if it's rather new, for it to be legit and honored by yad yada yada ....

Survey says!?? ...

Nitro Express
02-23-2005, 03:20 AM
The Korean made Wolfgangs are pretty decent and you can get one for around $500. Mine actually has a nicer Floyd Rose than my USA made Wolfgang. I love the neck on these guitars.

I bought an Epiphone Les Paul that was factory refurbished by Gibson. $280 and it's a great guitar and has Grover tuners to boot. I replaced the electronics with better pots, pickups, and switch. She sounds as good as the more expensive Gibson version and plays great.

kentuckyklira
02-23-2005, 05:33 AM
OK, so if other guys are already talking actual gear,

some of the best value for money youŽll ever see are used Fernandes guitars. TheyŽve got models for every music and player style.

My Favorites are the Retrorockets, the Natives and the Ravens.

If you can find an old "The Function" with sustainer system thereŽll be one jealous German!

Panamark
02-23-2005, 06:44 AM
Get a Strat and throw a Hot Rails or Invader pickup in it (if you want to get loud and nasty).

If you can find a mid 80's Japanese Fender Strat, grab it.
Great quality.

Strats are a great place to start (In my opinion).

Or a Les Paul. However Im not sure you will get one for $500.

I love Ibanez, but havent owned any current models and cant
vouch for their quality.

Hardrock69
02-23-2005, 08:47 AM
If you want any type of Gibson guitar, get a Korean-made Epiphone. Incredible quality for the buck. Very much worth it.

For Strat-type guitars, go Fender. For a good combination of the two, try Ibanez or Jackson.

Let us know what you get, and post a photo!

:cool:

jojo2371
02-23-2005, 04:03 PM
good call from panamark !!!! mid 80's fender japan strats ,i got 2 of 'em and they are killer even with stock pups!!!! ebay is the best place to find them!!!!!

Big Troubles
02-23-2005, 05:46 PM
Jackson JS3ORR. "Dinky" body.. $400 bones.

Big Troubles
02-23-2005, 05:46 PM
that's my next one anyways. :D

Big Troubles
02-23-2005, 05:49 PM
then again, it's your coin... go grab a B.C Rich Virgin for $600. I dont know how they play, but they will def. leave an impression on who you are playing it for. :D

DeadOrAlive
02-26-2005, 07:53 PM
Thanks guys!! I play almost ANY CVH song so yeah you know what i want!!

Nitro Express
02-26-2005, 09:38 PM
I toyed around with a Jackson Dinky today and it actually was a great playing guitar. It had the floating trem on it but it was so well setup that I could rest my picking hand on it and it didn't go sharp. All my trem guitars have the trem set to where you only can go down in pitch. I was kind of fun to yank that bugger up.

I would say all of the guitars mentioned so far are good ones for the buck. Try them and see what you like. The Wolfgangs will get the classic VH sound to a point but the pickups are hotter and really do the best with a high gain amp. The most important thing is that it sounds good and feels good. You always can change the pickups to tweak it a bit and usually on cheap guitars, the pickups typically are the weak point.

DeadOrAlive
02-26-2005, 09:43 PM
Thanks man!!! Gonna get a wolfgang one of these days... not for a LONG while though lol how much are they? 2000 bucks?

Denny
03-04-2005, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by DeadOrAlive
Thanks man!!! Gonna get a wolfgang one of these days... not for a LONG while though lol how much are they? 2000 bucks?

A Musicman Van Halen or a Musicman Axis are much better trhan a PEEWEE.....

Nitro Express
03-07-2005, 04:17 AM
The fit and finish are typically better on the Musicmans but my PEEWEE Wolfies play and sound great. The Axis is a great guitar.

Cathedral
03-09-2005, 09:10 AM
Much like pussy, all guitars are NOT created equal.
Oh sure they all look fun from a distance, but ya gotta try a few to find the right fit.

Try a few different Jackson's at first, I have always found they are more consistant when it comes to quality, exceptions are the higher end guitars from just about any manufacturer.

You get what you pay for and one's man tight pussy is another man's gaping hole.
The key element is YOU!