PDA

View Full Version : Fuck off Bonds!

Bob_R
02-22-2005, 07:27 PM
Updated: Feb. 22, 2005, 7:22 PM ET
Slugger sidesteps questions, chastises media
Associated Press

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. -- Barry Bonds angrily sidestepped questions about his role in baseball's steroid scandal upon his arrival at spring training Tuesday, pronouncing himself weary but ready to begin his pursuit of Hank Aaron's home run record.

Bonds
In the 40-year-old Bonds' first public comments since his grand jury testimony was leaked to the San Francisco Chronicle and reported in December, he had nothing to say about it, citing legal constrictions. But he had harsh words for the media and fans still consumed by the circumstances of his record-setting home run binge.

"You guys are like re-running stories," Bonds said to the huge group of reporters in attendance. "This is old stuff. It's like watching 'Sanford and Son.' It's almost comical, basically. ... Are you guys jealous, upset, disappointed, what?"

The San Francisco Giants slugger, who has 703 homers, is on the verge of catching Babe Ruth, who is second on baseball's career list with 714. Aaron is first with 755.

Bonds, dressed casually in a black shirt and jeans, was asked whether he thinks using steroids is cheating.

"I don't know what cheating is," he said. "I don't believe steroids can help your eye-hand coordination, technically hit a baseball. I just don't believe it. That's my opinion."

Bonds said the key to his continued success and strength even in the later years of his career has been "hard work, that's about it."

According to the Chronicle, Bonds testified to the grand jury in December 2003 that he used a clear substance and a cream given to him by a trainer who was indicted in a steroid-distribution ring, but said he didn't know if they were steroids. Prosecutors believe the substances were two steroids at the center of the BALCO scandal.

"I'm an adult and I take responsibility for what I do, but I'm not going to allow you guys to ruin my joy," Bonds said Tuesday

He repeatedly refused to speak directly about BALCO, but he castigated everyone from the media to Jose Canseco, whose recently released book described a rampant culture of steroid abuse in baseball. Canseco has said he used steroids with several teammates, including Mark McGwire.

"I don't know Canseco, besides hello and goodbye. I don't put any weight into what he says," Bonds said. "Mark McGwire was a big boy in college. To me, Canseco, you've got to come with a whole lot more. ... It's to make a buck, that's all it is.

"I don't know Jose. I was better than Jose then, and I've been better than him his whole career. If he wants to go make money, go ahead. ... For somebody who brags about what he did, I don't see any of your records."

Bonds rolled into the Giants' training complex on the day position players were due to report. After he hopped out of his SUV and made his way into the stadium, he waved twice at the 50 or so fans there to greet him.

Bonds believes he's being scrutinized more since he's closing in on Ruth's record.

"Because Babe Ruth is one of the greatest baseball players ever, and Babe Ruth ain't black, either," he said. "I'm black. Blacks, we go through a little more. ... I'm not a racist though, but I live in the real world. I'm fine with that."

There were seven satellite trucks and a dozen TV cameras there when Bonds came in.

"The sad part, I just want to go out there and play baseball," Bonds said. "I don't even care about the record part so much. The best is whatever you get out of yourself. That's all I'm trying to do."

The seven-time NL MVP is entering his 20th major league season. Bonds drew 232 walks last season, 34 more than the record he set in 2002 and more than 100 more than anyone in baseball. His 120 intentional walks shattered the mark of 68 that he set in 2002.

Bonds will be limited for a while.

He's had arthroscopic surgery on both knees since last season ended, including an operation on his right knee Feb. 1 that will keep him out of games until at least mid-March.

Bonds said he wasn't sure if he'd be ready for opening day.

Manager Felipe Alou isn't concerned about his superstar's focus.

"This team is prepared for anything, beginning with No. 25," Alou said, referring to Bonds.

Trainer Stan Conte planned to evaluate Bonds as soon as possible.

"I just haven't seen him in 10 days, so I don't have a clue where he is status-wise," Conte said Tuesday.

After that, Conte and Bonds will form a plan for his rehab.

"He will tell us," Conte said. "I know that to be true because that's what he's done the last 10 to 15 years. The key will be protecting him from himself and playing too much."

Brett
02-22-2005, 07:33 PM
Amen to that. Fucking juiced bastard.

Lou
02-22-2005, 07:45 PM
I am SO rooting against him not to break even Babe Ruth's 714. CHEATER!!!

jojo2371
02-22-2005, 07:48 PM
y does bonds keep taking pot shots at babe ruth ? its not his record your chasing asshole its hank 's!!!!!!!!!!!for someone who claims not to be a racists y does he always attack babe ruth ? it wasn't ruth's single season HR record you broke or the career record you stand to break ! with or without steroids bonds is a great baseball player ,but sadly he is a pathetic human being who needs an anti-asshole injection !!!!!

jojo2371
02-22-2005, 07:51 PM
and BTW how can u not admire someone who is considered the greatest at his sport ,especially when he did it all on beer,hotdogs,cigars,women and NO EXERCISE!!!! c'mon u gotta love the babe!!!!!!!

Va Beach VH Fan
02-22-2005, 08:27 PM
Just comical to listen to someone who admitted to a grand jury that he used the cream and the clear, but blames everyone but himself that the sport is so embroiled in controversy....

Warham
02-22-2005, 09:01 PM
Well, his head looks smaller...

Mama's Fool
02-22-2005, 09:07 PM
I don't like the guy, but what he said about the press in general was spot on.

CROWBAR
02-22-2005, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
Just comical to listen to someone who admitted to a grand jury that he used the cream and the clear, but blames everyone but himself that the sport is so embroiled in controversy....

He's on the juice, you know he is

monkeythe
02-22-2005, 09:30 PM
Even though he's an asshole, I always enjoy it when an athlete puts the media in their place. If the media was so against the use of steroids they would have brought it up when all the records were being broken. But they didn't want to ruin a good story & getting people back into baseball again because then they'd have to get real jobs. And like the sheep the media are, they'll forget this story once something new happens.

CROWBAR
02-22-2005, 09:39 PM
Say Hey Willy Mays did it the hard way.....

Mucho respect for that man!

DLR7884
02-23-2005, 10:09 AM
You all hate Bonds, but you are the same fucking buttplugs that rooted for McGwire and Sosa in 1998.

DLR7884
Double standards are bullshit.

Warham
02-23-2005, 10:27 AM
Yep, I did. That's before I found out they were taking every substance that wasn't considered illegal at the time.

Now, as a Cubs fan, my opinion of Sosa is so low that I do not consider him HOF calibre any longer, even though he has almost 600 home runs.

I still think Dawson was a better player, and will always stick to my guns. No roids either, as the picture below indicates.

frets5150
02-23-2005, 11:13 AM
Fuck him with all the money he's makin he don't sign any autographs
And on top of that he's juiced FUCK HIM he should be banned!!!

Brett
02-23-2005, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by DLR7884
You all hate Bonds, but you are the same fucking buttplugs that rooted for McGwire and Sosa in 1998.

DLR7884

Yep and if they are roided-up, fuck them too. Had I known that at the time, I certainly wouldn't have cheered for them.

I've always hated Bonds, he's always been a dick, and then he became a Giant. The roids are just another reason to hate him.

blueturk
02-25-2005, 02:52 AM

DLR7884

Face it, DLR. Bonds is a fucking piece of shit. What in the hell is this " I'm black, that's why I'm getting a hard time" bullshit? Hank Aaron caught major fucking shit when he broke the record, shit that Bonds can't even imagine. Bonds is catching hell because he fucking CHEATED. I can't believe that this pampered egomaniac is trying to call the race card. Hank Aaron bitches about racism too, but that's because he EXPERIENCED it. He at least has the right to complain.FUCK BARRY BONDS!

DLR7884
02-25-2005, 09:56 AM
I agree that Bonds plays the race card way too much and way too often.

But you all are fucking buttfags if you think that he and Giambi are the only 2 guys in baseball today that have used steroids.

I'll bet that more than half the players in the league have fucking used them....don't like Bonds? Fine.

But's it's pretty fucking juvenile to single out Bonds just because he's an asshole and not to have the same attitude towards other players who are doing the same damn thing.

DLR7884
I like Bonds, yes....but I agree he's a dick who plays the race card WAY too much.

blueturk
02-25-2005, 11:07 AM

But you all are fucking buttfags if you think that he and Giambi are the only 2 guys in baseball today that have used steroids.

I'll bet that more than half the players in the league have fucking used them....don't like Bonds? Fine.

But's it's pretty fucking juvenile to single out Bonds just because he's an asshole and not to have the same attitude towards other players who are doing the same damn thing.

DLR7884
I like Bonds, yes....but I agree he's a dick who plays the race card WAY too much.

I'm singling out Bonds because he'll probably break the home run record because of Better Hitting Through Chemistry. Giambi, Canseco, and the other assholes who cheated will only be footnotes in baseball history, but Bonds will be the all-time home run leader. Of course you might think that's cool as hell, but I don't.

DLR7884
02-25-2005, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by blueturk
I'm singling out Bonds because he'll probably break the home run record because of Better Hitting Through Chemistry. Giambi, Canseco, and the other assholes who cheated will only be footnotes in baseball history, but Bonds will be the all-time home run leader. Of course you might think that's cool as hell, but I don't.

I do think it's cool.....who's to say Babe Ruth and Hank Aaron weren't on some sort of uppers back in the day?

DLR7884
?

blueturk
02-25-2005, 11:37 AM
You're right, speed has been a part of baseball since the '30's.So how come only two players in all those speed-addled years hit over 700 home runs? Here's what the late Ken Caminiti said about steroids (and he knew what he was talking about, having used them himself) : "It's still a hand-eye coordination game, but the difference [with steroids] is the ball is going to go a little farther. Some of the balls that would go to the warning track will go out. That's the difference."
How many of the homers that Bonds hit when was 'roided up would have stayed in the park if Bonds weren't practicing BHTC? I'd say enough for him not to be approaching the record right now. But since you're a Bonds fan, you probably don't give a shit. I say it's time for another fucking asterisk in the books.

DLR7884
02-25-2005, 11:47 AM
You think the fact that players don't have to work at other jobs in the offseason and can actually work out has something to do with it?

Christ....homeruns have been on the rise since the late 80's...and peaked at the turn of the century. You think that might have something to do with the workout craze and suppliments that have become so popular?

I do.

Steroids have been around longer than Creatine....

Who's to say it isn't Creatine that's causing this?

DLR7884
Just playing devil's advocate here :)

blueturk
02-25-2005, 12:22 PM

DLR7884
02-25-2005, 12:26 PM
So like I said...since 87 the numbers have been pretty much elevated...

DLR7884
Thanks for showing us.

blueturk
02-25-2005, 12:33 PM
So like I said...since 87 the numbers have been pretty much elevated...

DLR7884
Thanks for showing us.

I ran out of time before I edited that last post, and the stats are gone,dammit! Anyway,the homers didn't go up as much as Bond's weight .But I have to say I think McGwire is a cheating piece of shit too.If he were about to break the HR record it would have sucked just as much.

Warham
02-25-2005, 03:28 PM

DLR7884

I will single out all assholes who use steroids, not just Barry.

Why do you like Bonds, if I may ask?

Warham
02-25-2005, 03:29 PM
I do think it's cool.....who's to say Babe Ruth and Hank Aaron weren't on some sort of uppers back in the day?

DLR7884
?

So now that Bonds has been caught, let's denigrate the other top home run hitters, right?

Babe Ruth was on the bottle. That's about the only thing most folks would agree on.

DLR7884
02-25-2005, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Warham
I will single out all assholes who use steroids, not just Barry.

Why do you like Bonds, if I may ask?

I met him when he played A-ball for the Prince William Pirates back in 1985....I've liked him ever since.

DLR7884
I still think he can be an asshole..but he was nice to me when I was 7 years old.

DLR7884
02-25-2005, 03:52 PM
So now that Bonds has been caught, let's denigrate the other top home run hitters, right?

Babe Ruth was on the bottle. That's about the only thing most folks would agree on.

What about Hank Aaron?

You think it was unusual for a black man in the 60's to use some sort of upper?

DLR7884
LOL.

Warham
02-25-2005, 04:33 PM
Yes, I do think it'd be unusual for Hank Aaron to use uppers.

Well, now that you told me that Bonds story, I know why you like him.

Understandable.

DLR7884
02-25-2005, 04:40 PM
I just feel that Bonds is singled out in all of this B.S. when others are just as guilty as him.

An asterisk next to his record?

Nah....

DLR7884
I don't feel it's necessary.

Warham
02-25-2005, 04:43 PM
Bonds isn't singled out. Giambi's been nailed, Sheffield has been nailed, who else? McGwire is under scrutiny, Sosa, and many others. Bonds is just at the top of the totem pole, and all the others are right beneath him. The higher the home run totals, the higher you up on the pole.

Va Beach VH Fan
02-25-2005, 07:33 PM
How can it be being singled out when he admitted to the grand jury that he used the clear and the cream ???

Of course, unknowingly... [[ wink, wink ]]

I mean, he used steroids, he admitted using steroids, end of story IMO....

blueturk
02-26-2005, 03:53 AM
Bonds isn't singled out. Giambi's been nailed, Sheffield has been nailed, who else? McGwire is under scrutiny, Sosa, and many others. Bonds is just at the top of the totem pole, and all the others are right beneath him. The higher the home run totals, the higher you up on the pole.

And at the top of this pole should be this: *

stringfelowhawk
02-27-2005, 02:30 AM
I'm floored by the people who honestly believe that steroids doesn't help the HR total. Aren't they to build muscle? Wouldn't being stronger help you hit the ball with more power because of more muscle?
I heard him do an interview right after he broke Maguire's record with him completely dismissing Babe Ruth. I don't watch baseball but that infuriated me. He basically said he was better than Babe Ruth because he couldn't play in this era. According to him its harder to hit now than it was then. BULLSHIT YOU MONKEY CORN TURD!!!!!!!!!!!!
Babe Ruth hit 714 home runs pretty much drunk. Imagine what he could have done if he had taken care of himself more. Bonds had help hitting 703 hm runs and he fucking knows it. I don't care how you look at it. He cheated and he's been caught. Now he's trying to defend himself and say they didn't help him. Really? If they didn't help you WHY IN THE FUCK WERE YOU TAKING THEM JACKASS?

blueturk
03-06-2005, 04:31 PM
Just the facts, ma'am!

Posted on Sun, Mar. 06, 2005

COMMENTARY
Bonds better with age -- how?

STAN OLSON Charlotte Observer

Major League Baseball is built on statistics, and the numbers tell a remarkable story about Barry Bonds.

Somehow Bonds, the San Francisco outfielder at the center of the steroids storm, has improved dramatically as a player since reaching 35 years of age.

It's common knowledge -- and common sense -- that an athlete's prime comes in his mid-to-late 20s. If he stays in top condition, he can maintain that high level of performance into his mid-30s. Some rare players can even remain close to that peak as they push 40.

Usually, though, the 30s bring a gradual and then increasingly obvious decline in talent. Players may rage against the dying of the athletic light, but you can't fool Mother Nature.

Except that, unlike the 20,000 or so others who have played major league baseball, Barry Bonds has done just that.

After Bonds' first 14 seasons, he was averaging a home run every 15.7 at-bats. But his 15th year -- 2000 -- would bring his 35th birthday, and it stood to reason that that ratio would soon decline.

Not exactly. That season began a five-year streak in which he has averaged a home run every 8.2 at-bats. At an age when virtually every athlete in every sport begins to fade, Bonds is hitting homers almost twice as often as he did during his prime.

That amazing statistic is enhanced by this one: before he was 35, Bonds' lifetime batting average was .288. Since then, it has been .339.

Think of that; at an age when muscle mass is supposedly declining and hand-eye coordination slows, Bonds has increased his batting average 51 points to go with all those home runs.

It doesn't happen in real life, folks; it has never happened in baseball. But it happened to Barry.

I did a little research on this life-after-35 stuff, comparing Bonds with the other three top career home run hitters (see chart). The others followed the normal arc of an athlete to a greater or lesser extent.

Hank Aaron did slightly reduce his at-bats per homer after 35, but that was because his Braves had moved from a more difficult hitter's park in Milwaukee to Atlanta's Fulton-County Stadium "Launching Pad." Otherwise, Hammerin' Hank's decline was obvious; he hit .314 prior to age 35, .282 from then on.

And check out Willie Mays; a man who was likely the second-best player of the 20th century (after Babe Ruth) spent his late 30s in rapid decline.

Bonds' defenders always mention how steroids don't help you hit a baseball, and obviously you have to be able to see the pitch and then place the bat in the exact spot where the ball is. But if you can do that -- and Bonds and other top players obviously can -- I believe steroids help you in two ways.

The greater strength they produce increases power. Which means that, say, 20 to 25 warning-track fly balls could be turned into home runs over the course of a season. Home runs are hits instead of outs, which increases batting averages.

The greater strength, I assume, also translates into better bat speed. Which means that chemically enhanced players can wait longer on the pitch, see it better and hit it more often, also improving batting average.

Bonds' numbers make a telling case. If he had simply maintained his earlier talents to this point, I could pass it off as an exceptional athlete who worked diligently on his nutrition and conditioning. He hasn't maintained, though; he has dramatically improved.

And baseball history tells us that at his age, that is naturally impossible.

In the twilight of their careers

A look at the careers of the four most prolific home run hitters of all time; their production prior to age 35 and their output from that point on. Comparisons of home runs per at-bat and batting average are significant:

BARRY BONDS AB HR HR/AB Avg.
Pre-35 6,976 445 15.7 .288
35+ 2,122 258 8.2 .339

HANK AARON AB HR HR/AB Avg.
Pre-35 8,889 510 17.4 .314
35+ 3,475 245 14.2 .282

BABE RUTH AB HR HR/AB Avg.
Pre-35 5,994 516 11.6 .346
35+ 2,405 198 12.1 .331

WILLIE MAYS AB HR HR/AB Avg.
Pre-35 7,594 515 14.7 .314
35+ 3,287 145 22.7 .274