PDA

View Full Version : Censorship And the Unreality of War

Nickdfresh
02-23-2005, 09:24 AM
February 23, 2005

EDITORIAL
The Unreality of War

War is hell, unless the Federal Communications Commission has a say in the matter. Then it is reduced to heck, as occurred during Tuesday's broadcast of a "Frontline" report about U.S. troops fighting in Iraq. Fearful of being hit with stiff FCC indecency fines, the nonprofit PBS distributed a censored copy of a report chronicling U.S. soldiers charged with keeping Iraq's main highway open.The crew of "Frontline" showed a small group of soldiers who did their best under tough conditions, and who reacted in entirely human ways when their lives were threatened by the enemy. But some viewers, including those who watched on Los Angeles station KCET, saw the censored version of the report, which presented the remarkable fiction of soldiers in battle watching their language.

This country is awash in reality TV, except from the war front, where real-life portrayals are most needed. It's a shame that "Frontline" has become the latest casualty in an increasingly ugly culture war waged by conservative zealots eager to hijack the airwaves. They are succeeding in large measure because the government enforces an overly vague definition of "indecency."

When indecency is in the eye of the beholder, the Federal Communications Commission can be easily cowed by a campaign of intimidation from the outside. That is what happened in 2003 when the commissioners reversed their staff's initial determination that the offhanded use of an expletive by Bono, the rock star, at an awards ceremony didn't amount to a case of indecency.

Congress is threatening to make matters worse by raising indecency fines to $500,000 or more per incident. This at a time when it's becoming harder for broadcasters (including the Los Angeles Times' parent, Tribune Co., we should note as a matter of full disclosure), which are always fearful of losing their licenses, to discern the rules of the game.

This situation is not tenable, which is why some broadcasters are considering a legal challenge to the FCC's indecency rules and their enforcement, as The Times' Jube Shiver Jr. reported Tuesday. The rules should not only be clarified but loosened. At a time when viewers can watch racier fare on hundreds of cable channels, courts should revisit the old rationale for limiting broadcasters' 1st Amendment rights in the first place — the notion that the airwaves are a scarce public resource.

LA Times (http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-ed-fcc23feb23,0,5709639.story)

How FUCKING absurd is this? I watched the "unedited" version (I think) last night, it was excellent and compelling. "Cuntservative" FOX network keeps pushing these morally debasing "reality" shows while a documentary that is striving to present the stark reality of combat in Baghdad, circa last November, cannot show soldiers speaking as they actually do when people are trying to kill them! Thank you Reactionary Christian fundamentalist Hypocrites for imposing your "morality" on me via the FCC!

More info on "A Company of Soldiers" at PBS (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/company/)

ODShowtime
02-23-2005, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh

How FUCKING absurd is this? I watched the "unedited" version (I think) last night, it was excellent and compelling. "Cuntservative" FOX network keeps pushing these morally debasing "reality" shows while a documentary that is striving to present the stark reality of combat in Baghdad, circa last November, cannot show soldiers speaking as they actually do when people are trying to kill them! Thank you Reactionary Christian fundamentalist Hypocrites for imposing your "morality" on me via the FCC!

I'm with ya bud. This hypocrisy stinks like a big old loaf chillin' in the sun.

I wish I would have watched that program. It sounds excellent.

Nickdfresh
02-23-2005, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by ODShowtime
I'm with ya bud. This hypocrisy stinks like a big old loaf chillin' in the sun.

I wish I would have watched that program. It sounds excellent.

I think PBS will rerun it Friday. Check the link.

YAWN
02-23-2005, 01:48 PM
Sooooo... what's the solution? "Selective approval" based on relative stress levels of those on camera? Allowing an unedited version to be aired on a public station, and deal with not only the flood of complaints from viewers, but a flurry of liberal asswipes condemning the FCC for allowing the footage because of the slightest *possibility* of favoritism toward the military in an effort to gain support for the war machine?

I agree that the FCC gets carried away sometimes, but are we really all bent out of shape because a report was edited for language? Fuck, man, let's say I'm on fuckin' Jeopardy an' shit, and miss a question for two grand. My natural reaction (and that of most of you, as well) upon losing $2,000 because I didn't know the national bird of Zimbabwe or some shit like that, is the word "Fuck." And I'mma yell the muphukka, too. It's natural. They should allow that, too? FUCK.

Nickdfresh
02-23-2005, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by YAWN
Sooooo... what's the solution? "Selective approval" based on relative stress levels of those on camera? Allowing an unedited version to be aired on a public station, and deal with not only the flood of complaints from viewers, but a flurry of liberal asswipes condemning the FCC for allowing the footage because of the slightest *possibility* of favoritism toward the military in an effort to gain support for the war machine?

I am one of those "Liberal asswipes" and I wanted to see what the guys were doing over there and make my own judgements. You really think anyone would complain on those grounds? The documentary was played after 9:00PM and containted a warning regarding violent scenes, and harsh language.

[b]I agree that the FCC gets carried away sometimes, but are we really all bent out of shape because a report was edited for language? Fuck, man, let's say I'm on fuckin' Jeopardy an' shit, and miss a question for two grand. My natural reaction (and that of most of you, as well) upon losing $2,000 because I didn't know the national bird of Zimbabwe or some shit like that, is the word "Fuck." And I'mma yell the muphukka, too. It's natural. They should allow that, too? FUCK.

This wasn't Jeopardy, that's clearly different. Anyone interested in this show would have been an adult. I can decide for myself if I want to hear the seven deadly words myself and before the Superbowl before last, it would not have been an issue.

Watch for yourself, I think you'll be able to play it online eventually.

DLR'sCock
02-23-2005, 04:30 PM
The public cannot handle the truth of REALITY in any form.

DrMaddVibe
02-24-2005, 03:07 PM
Blah blah blah!

Nickdfresh
02-24-2005, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
Blah blah blah!

Very eloquently put Ms.SaddVibe.

DrMaddVibe
02-24-2005, 04:25 PM
Fuck you dickhead.

Nickdfresh
02-24-2005, 04:27 PM
Fuck you dickhead.

Ahhh, brilliant as always...so wise..so wise...

Did you actually read the article 'dickhead?'

LoungeMachine
02-24-2005, 04:29 PM
Fuck you dickhead.

Supplied by the Dick Cheney School of Thought:rolleyes:

fucking idiot

DrMaddVibe
02-24-2005, 04:29 PM
Fuck both of you running!

Nickdfresh
02-24-2005, 04:30 PM

Well, somebody's wife stopped putting out I'd say.

DrMaddVibe
02-24-2005, 04:31 PM
Wrong again dumbass.

LoungeMachine
02-24-2005, 04:31 PM

It's official

The right is out of arguments

Blame Clinton:D

LoungeMachine
02-24-2005, 04:32 PM
Well, somebody's wife stopped putting out I'd say.

No she still puts out.......:D

DrMaddVibe
02-24-2005, 04:32 PM
Follow your idol LM!

LoungeMachine
02-24-2005, 04:34 PM
Follow your idol LM!

Good one, Assvibe:D

But then your wife is used to you shooting blanks by my guess

DrMaddVibe
02-24-2005, 04:38 PM
That's the best you 2 dimwits have?

Wow. I make a goof on probably the stupidest bit of propaganda and you morons didn't pick up on it.

Get a room.

Nickdfresh
02-24-2005, 04:57 PM
That's the best you 2 dimwits have?

Wow. I make a goof on probably the stupidest bit of propaganda and you morons didn't pick up on it.

Get a room.

You didn't even read the article fool. And you are the goof.

DrMaddVibe
02-24-2005, 05:01 PM
Why do you think I posted the picture I did at first?

You're fucking retarded.

Pun intended Einstein!

Nickdfresh
02-24-2005, 05:10 PM
Why do you think I posted the picture I did at first?

You're fucking retarded.

Pun intended Einstein!

I am sorry, I can't think down to your tenth grade level political (simpleminded cartoons for idiots)! My bad. Of course you realize the article itself had nothing to do with condemning the War or anything like that? It's merely about censorship in one program's coverage. So you may want to pull your head out of your ass Ms.SaddVibe and grow up a little.;)

DrMaddVibe
02-24-2005, 06:03 PM
What did they censor?

A soldier swearing?

Almost like the goof that I posted. Wow!

You mentioned you couldn't reach a tenth grade political...?!? Whatever. Don't flatter yourself by reaching for the 10th grade. You couldn't wake up from naptime in pre-school!

Don't try to "mentor" me with your sappy-assed "grow up" line that's piped in the airvents to the basement of your mom's basement.

One of these days you'll be faced with the realization that most of us here hold of you.

Nickdfresh
02-24-2005, 06:07 PM
What did they censor?

A soldier swearing?

Almost like the goof that I posted. Wow!

You mentioned you couldn't reach a tenth grade political...?!? Whatever. Don't flatter yourself by reaching for the 10th grade. You couldn't wake up from naptime in pre-school!

Don't try to "mentor" me with your sappy-assed "grow up" line that's piped in the airvents to the basement of your mom's basement.

Sorry, I don't live in mon's basement. Be sure to reinforce your trailer before the next hurricane season.

[b]One of these days you'll be faced with the realization that most of us here hold of you.

??"...hold of me?" LOL I have no idea what you mean. :p

DrMaddVibe
02-24-2005, 07:20 PM
Wrong again, but you knew that!

The realization is that you're a blowhard!

diamondD
02-24-2005, 07:33 PM
What's up with calling the FOX network a cuntservative network? They are run entirely separate from the News Channel. That's like blaming TBS for something on CNN.

Guitar Shark
02-24-2005, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by diamondD
What's up with calling the FOX network a cuntservative network? They are run entirely separate from the News Channel. That's like blaming TBS for something on CNN.

Shut up bitch!

Nickdfresh
02-24-2005, 08:00 PM
Wrong again, but you knew that!

The realization is that you're a blowhard!

Deny, deny, deny...you're a fool.;) And my, my your mouth is filthy!

DrMaddVibe
02-24-2005, 08:08 PM
Denying what? Where I live? Why do you really care? I KNOW where I live and there's no trailer park within 25 miles of my neighborhood.

You think I'd have you over at my place for a round of golf and a beer? FUCK NO!

I wouldn't even buzz you in the gate to cut my grass!

My, my, my you're still a tool and ugly too!

Nickdfresh
02-24-2005, 08:20 PM
Denying what? Where I live? Why do you really care? I KNOW where I live and there's no trailer park within 25 miles of my neighborhood.

You think I'd have you over at my place for a round of golf and a beer? FUCK NO!

I wouldn't even buzz you in the gate to cut my grass!

My, my, my you're still a tool and ugly too!

Dude, I could give a shit where you live. Though, I am really hurt you would not invite me to play golf and drink beer, or cut your lawn. I guess you'll have to continue to play with yourself then. Sure you won't join me in my "mom's basement" for a round of SONY PLAYSTATION and jelloshots? LMAO:p

YAWN
02-24-2005, 08:30 PM
Dude, you don't even have X-Box? Loser. ;)

FORD
02-24-2005, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by diamondD

The FOX Network certainly doesn't have "cuntservative" programming, but it's still owned by that conservative cunt Murdoch. And the programming he airs on that channel doesn't always comply to the bullshit spewed on his other network (the one that pretends to be a news channel).

In other words, if Sean Hannazi is being paid by Rupert Murdoch to say The Simpsons should be censored, then someone's a hypocrite, and it ain't Bart or Homer.

Nickdfresh
02-24-2005, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by YAWN
Dude, you don't even have X-Box? Loser. ;)

They used to overheat.

DrMaddVibe
02-24-2005, 10:37 PM
They used to overheat.

You're not supposed to fuck them...you just play games WITH them!

FORD
02-24-2005, 10:43 PM
Assvibe must have changed his medication....he's actually funny tonight.

blueturk
02-25-2005, 03:44 AM
Blah blah blah!

Liberal pussies? Let's be real men and be college cheerleaders and dodge the draft like Dubya! Get the hell out of here and put on one of your Toby Keith CD's.

"A dictatorship would be a heck of a lot easier, there's no question about it." —George W. Bush, July 27, 2001

Nickdfresh
02-25-2005, 08:39 AM
You're not supposed to fuck them...you just play games WITH them!

Really, never thought of that! Did you injure yourself trying this?:confused: Maybe you should up your med dosage?

BigBadBrian
02-25-2005, 08:48 AM
I think they ought to let words like FUCK and SHIT and ASS and PUSSY and CUNT on all networks at all hours all of the time. Retards. :rolleyes:

Nickdfresh
02-25-2005, 08:55 AM
George Carlin's Seven Dirty Words

The big seven words you weren't allowed to broadcast were: Shit, Piss, Fuck, Cunt, Cocksucker, Motherfucker and Tits.

Here is the original Carlin comedy routine that caused the Fracas.

George Carlin: "I love words. I thank you for hearing my words. I want to tell you something about words that I uh, I think is important. I love..as I say, they're my work, they're my play, they're my passion. Words are all we have really.

We have thoughts, but thoughts are fluid. You know, [humming]. And, then we assign a word to a thought, [clicks tongue]. And we're stuck with that word for that thought. So be careful with words. I like to think, yeah, the same words that hurt can heal. It's a matter of how you pick them.

There are some people that aren't into all the words. There are some people who would have you not use certain words. Yeah, there are 400,000 words in the English language, and there are seven of them that you can't say on television. What a ratio that is. 399,993 to seven. They must really be bad. They'd have to be outrageous, to be separated from a group that large. All of you over here, you seven. Bad words. That's what they told us they were, remember? 'That's a bad word.' 'Awwww.' There are no bad words. Bad thoughts. Bad Intentions.

And words, you know the seven don't you? Shit, Piss, Fuck, Cunt, Cocksucker, Motherfucker, and Tits, huh? Those are the heavy seven. Those are the ones that will infect your soul, curve your spine and keep the country from winning the war.

Shit, Piss, Fuck, Cunt, Cocksucker, Motherfucker, and Tits, wow. Tits doesn't even belong on the list, you know. It's such a friendly sounding word. It sounds like a nickname. 'Hey, Tits, come here. Tits, meet Toots, Toots, Tits, Tits, Toots.' It sounds like a snack doesn't it? Yes, I know, it is, right. But I don't mean the sexist snack, I mean, New Nabisco Tits. The new Cheese Tits, and Corn Tits and Pizza Tits, Sesame Tits Onion Tits, Tater Tits, Yeah. Betcha can't eat just one. That's true I usually switch off . But I mean that word does not belong on the list.

Actually, none of the words belong on the list, but you can understand why some of them are there. I am not completely insensitive to people's feelings. You know, I can dig why some of those words got on the list...like cocksucker and motherfucker. Those are...those are heavy-weight words. There's a lot going on there, man. Besides the literal translation and the emotional feeling. They're just busy words. There's a lot of syllables to contend with. And those K's. Those are aggressive sounds, they jump out at you. CocksuckerMotherfuckerCocksucker. It's like an assault, on you. So I can dig that.

And we mentioned shit earlier, of course. Two of the other 4-letter Anglo-Saxon words are Piss and Cunt, which go together of course. But forget about that. A little accidental humor there. Piss and Cunt. The reason Piss and Cunt are on the list is that a long time ago certain ladies said 'Those are the two I am not going to say. I don't mind Fuck and Shit, but P and C are out. P and C are out.' Which led to such stupid sentences as 'OK, you fuckers, I am going to tinkle now.'

And of course the word Fuck. The word Fuck, I don't really...well, this is some more accidental humor, but I don't really want to get into that now. Because I think it takes too long. But I do mean that. I mean, I think the word fuck is an important word. It's the beginning of life, and, yet it's a word we use to hurt one other, quite often. And uh, people much wiser than I have said, I'd rather have my son watch a film with two people making love than two people trying to kill one other. And I of course agree. I wish I know who said it first, and I agree with that. But I would like to take it a step further. I would like to substitute the word fuck, for the word kill in all those movie cliches we grew up with. 'Okay Sheriff, we're gonna fuck ya now. But we're gonna fuck ya slow.' So maybe next year I'll have a whole fuckin' rap on that word. I hope so.

Uh, there are two-way words, but those are the seven you can never say on television. Under any circumstances you just can not say them ever, ever ever, not even clinically. You can not weave them in the panel with Doc and Ed and Johnny, I mean it's just impossible, forget those seven, they're out.

But, there are some two-way words. There are double-meaning words. Remember the ones your giggled at in sixth grade? 'And the cock crowed three times.''Hey, the cock the cock crowed three times. It's in the bible.' There are some Two-way words, like it's okay for Kirk Goudy(sp?) to say 'Roberto Clemente has two balls on him.' But he can't say, 'I think he hurt his balls on that play Tony, don't you? He's holding them. He must have hurt them by God.' And the other two-way word that goes with that one is prick. It's okay if it happens to your finger. Yes, you can prick your finger, but don't finger your prick. No, no."

Sarge's Little Helper
02-25-2005, 08:55 AM
[QUOTE] George Carlin's Seven Dirty Words

Shit, Piss, Fuck, Cunt, Cocksucker, Motherfucker and Tits.
Huh huh huh huh