PDA

View Full Version : Moss Trade: Keeper League Analysis

ALinChainz
02-24-2005, 05:13 PM
by Paul Charchian - Publisher, Fanball.com

Thursday, February 24, 2005

At some point, the Randy Moss trade will affect every 2005 fantasy football league; keeper leaguers need to sort out this trade pronto. There's a lot of star power affected by this trade, as Minnesota's high-powered offense is forced to adjust, and Oakland suddenly becomes intriguing. So, with an eye on keeper leagues, here's my assessment of how the trade affects notable players' keeper value.

Helped

Kerry Collins: Despite his age, Collins' keeper value jumps with the Moss acquisition. Both Moss and Porter are under long-term contracts. Collins' arm is strong enough to allow for the long pass, Moss' forte, and he's experienced enough to find Porter in single-coverage. Collins will appear as a top-10 quarterback in most rankings this preseason.

Nate Burleson: Burleson is the biggest X-factor of the group, especially since we don't know if Minnesota will actively attempt to find a replacement for Moss. He looked very good last year, and actually notched nine touchdowns while topping the 1,000 yard mark. Should he be required to be the team's top receiver, it is unclear if he'll be able to make the jump. If he can step up, his upside is huge. How huge? Surrounded by Minnesota's offensive talent, how about 15 scores per year huge? But plenty of capable number two receivers have tried and failed to succeed as a go-to guy (Johnnie Morton, James Thrash, Justin McCariens, and Peerless Price immediately come to mind). My feeling is that he's got a long career ahead of him.

All Vikings' running backs: Moss takes a lot of receptions with him to Oakland, so more plays will shift to the team's runners, both via the ground and air. Plus, Moss had been the team's first choice at the stripe. Now, the job will likely move to the team's runners.

No Change

Jerry Porter: It's a mixed bag for Porter. On one hand, he'll never be the team's go-to receiver, which limits his upside to around 10-12 touchdowns max per season. However, playing opposite Randy Moss opens the possibilities of routine single-coverage, meaning he should post at least 6-8 touchdowns every year.

Hurt

Randy Moss: A fresh start provides plenty of positives for Moss, but they get outweighed by the negatives. Moss will certainly have a chip on his shoulder, and he'll probably be a good soldier—for a while anyway. Kerry Collins has a strong arm, but make no mistake, he's no Culpepper. Further muddying the waters is Jerry Porter who will siphon off receptions and scores for years. Also of concern to keeper leaguers is Collins' age. 2005 will be his 11th year of service, so he may not be effective for much longer, and injury is a growing concern.

Daunte Culpepper: Obviously, losing Moss hurts Culpepper's fantasy value, but not as much as people might think at first blush. Nate Burleson is emerging as a capable player, and the Vikings are loaded with other receiving options, including all of their tight ends and running backs. Plus, Minnesota will likely/hopefully signing a notable free agent receiver, or use their newly-acquired seventh-overall draft pick on one. If the Vikings' (foolishly) choose not to improve their receivers, then his value drops much farther.

Doug Gabriel: Gabriel demonstrated flashes of competence, and the youngster was expected to battle for a starting job. Now, he's stuck behind Moss and Porter, and unlikely get enough playing time to make an impact.

Ronald Curry: See Gabriel.

POJO_Risin
02-24-2005, 09:26 PM
This is really going to have some longstanding effects Al...no shit...

You more or less have to think that Culpepper is about to go through a coming out party...or a ..."Oh...it was all him..."

You'd have to think that the Vikes may be trying to roll their 2 first rounders into a top five pick to get Edwards or Williams...I don't know...a possibility...

maybe a first and a second...

DlocRoth
02-25-2005, 10:10 AM
Guess what gentlemen....

Kerry Collins just became a keeper.

BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

An' I got em.

POJO_Risin
02-25-2005, 09:36 PM
Hmmmm...Collins a keeper?

I can't disagree with that...lmfao...

I could...I suppose...but Moss probably puts Collins as a borderline 3rd rounder...

Va Beach VH Fan
02-26-2005, 09:58 AM
I'd have to think that Culpepper's fantasy value has just gone down the shitter....

But Burleson may be a good pickup next year....

POJO_Risin
02-26-2005, 03:39 PM
I don't know...losing one of the top 3 receivers in the game doesn't help for sure...

we have to wait and see what minny does though...before you dump CPepp...and pump up Burleson...

ALinChainz
02-26-2005, 06:07 PM
Culpepper will still run in some TDs also. He played well in the games Moss was out. I expect they will run the ball more, but I still consider him Top 5 QB quality.

They may go receiver with their #7, and Burleson and Robinson won't be the worst WRs in the league. They don't have Moss' game breaking ability, but it has slowed some anyway due to scheme.

POJO_Risin
02-26-2005, 06:10 PM
They need to move up and assure themselves of getting Mike Williams...he's the real deal...

and because of Michigan's receiver history (not a rip on Edwards...I do think he'll be good)...I think Williams is the best receiver in the draft...

most had him top 3 last year...I don't think that changes this year...

I think Williams is a gamebreaker...with a good head on his shoulders...

ALinChainz
02-26-2005, 06:13 PM
He is kind of coming off like a jerk a little in his interviews I thought, not working out.

He feels he deserves "his day" and will workout where he feels comfortable. And promises a legit sub 4.45 forty.

I hear you about Edwards. Not since Anthony Carter has their been a "great" UM wide receiver in the NFL, not really.

ALinChainz
02-26-2005, 06:15 PM
Tice talked to him a little, something about filling Moss' shoes, to that nature.

THey will take the one that's there, and could have a choice of either, Edwards or Williams.

POJO_Risin
02-26-2005, 06:19 PM
lots of good ones...or...should be good ones...

lmfao...

Anthony Carter for UM

Cris Carter for OSU

other than that...crap...lmfao...

lots of good players with 10 cent heads...

I saw an interview with him the other day that was interesting...but the guy has a chip on his shoulder...listen to folk that are telling him he'll get in the NFL...than has the NFL and NCAA cost him his junior year...

and then his stock tagging along with Clarett...and getting pulled down a bit...

again...I'm not as big a proponant of the Combine as most...

I think I'd use the combine to find some athletic studs I wouldn't have known about...then use football knowledge...and character knowledge for the rest.

I wonder how many really good NFL careers have been ruined by these dumbass combines...

of course...there's a flipside to it...

POJO_Risin
02-26-2005, 06:21 PM
If Williams goes before Braylon...I'll be surprised...

ALinChainz
02-26-2005, 06:56 PM
At least it's there for the guys who might not get taken as high as they do.

Mike Mamula made his money off the combine. Many have.

Helps those who need it maybe and hurts those who don't.

POJO_Risin
02-26-2005, 06:58 PM
Yeah...and you damned if you do...and damned if you don't...

personally...if you have the pull...I'd be doing a private workout...instead of the combine...