PDA

View Full Version : The Ibanez FL-9 reissue Flanger is great for Unchained

Nitro Express
02-26-2005, 04:44 AM
I reciently purchased one of the ibanez reissue FL9 flangers. I was looking for a good analog flanging sound and I almost got an electroharmonix Electric Mistress but I like the tone of the Ibanez FL9 a tad bit better. The FL9 sounds very close to the good ol mxr Flanger and you can fine tune it with some small pots inside the case.

I think it nails the vibe of some of the classic vh songs like Unchained and Ain't talking about love. It's also a quieter peddle than an old original MXR.

The flanging is rich and creamy unlike the cold-steryl sound of the newer flang effects.

Good flangers are getting hard to find and eventhough the peddle isn't cheap $130, it gets that Van Halen vibe better than the Boss flanger and is quieter than an original MXR flanger. It also fits into your peddleboard better.

Eyes of the Night
02-27-2005, 01:24 AM
Nope sir didn't like it ... didn't even come close I thought ... along with the DOD, BOSS, this that and the others ...

Ended up with Line 6 MM4 that emulates vintage pedals ... tries to anyway ...

I hit bank on the DL4 though that emulates old school TAPE and echo stuff ...

Big Troubles
02-27-2005, 01:27 AM
i think the boss stereo flanger hits the unchained sound. same with and the cradle... I have a Line 6 spider II, that has a good flanger effect as well.

Eyes of the Night
02-27-2005, 04:00 PM
Stereo what?:p ...

I have a spiderII also and bought it just for those effects in a practice amp instead of getting pedals right off the bat ...

In fact that flange may be a hybrid of the MM4 which is the MXR 118a kinda like how peavey kept all their hardware from the 5150 to make their own pile of shit ...

Same with the tape delay and sweep echo off the II may very well be a mod of an EP3-1 tape that's off the DL4 ...

Big Troubles
02-28-2005, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Eyes
Stereo what?:p ...

I have a spiderII also and bought it just for those effects in a practice amp instead of getting pedals right off the bat ...

In fact that flange may be a hybrid of the MM4 which is the MXR 118a kinda like how peavey kept all their hardware from the 5150 to make their own pile of shit ...

Same with the tape delay and sweep echo off the II may very well be a mod of an EP3-1 tape that's off the DL4 ...

Spider II is a pretty good amp.. Im not a big fan of the Flanger/Chorus/Phaser effects. The sweep is good. the reverb is excellent and the tape echo is ok. (but really, its the only tape echo effect Ive used, so its not comparable to me right now) The clean effect is shit. There is still a distinctive sweep in it. There is no true clean play through it.

Nitro Express
03-01-2005, 02:12 PM
Maybe I got a good peddle because it nails all those old VH flange sounds. You have to open the case up and tweak the potentionmeters inside but once you do that it gets the sound.

Out of the box it's not quite there but after you fine tune it (which is a cool option) you can get real close to the vibe on Fair Warning. I can get the flanging sounds of "Hear About it Later and Unchained" It really has a nice sweep that sounds like a jet plane taking off. You can also get some cool Andy Summers styled tones out of it.

The Boss flanger sounded a little thin to me and digital flangers never were my cup of tea. MXR made a reissue flanger and I had one and I like the Ibanez peddle better.

Panamark
03-09-2005, 03:42 AM
Ive never heard a flanger that was exactly the same as Ed's.
But I am yet to play through an MXR..

I didnt like the flanger on the Line6 POD at all..

Nitro Express
03-10-2005, 02:36 AM
I had the MXR reissue and I think my Ibanez FL9 gets closer to the vibe. There's original MXR Flangers on Ebay but they get bidded up pretty high.

The FL9 is an analog flanger. You don't get the huge spectrum of a digital flanger but it's sounds warm.

I really don't care if I nail Ed's tone 100%, if I'm getting a good vibe and it's close and sounds cool, I'm happy, but the Ibanez FL9 gets damn close to Ed's early flange sounds.

Panamark
03-10-2005, 05:59 AM
Worth keeping an eye out for then, definately !