PDA

View Full Version : Your Filthy Little Mouth...about retirement?

Calderone
02-17-2004, 10:16 AM
I always thought that Dave wanted to retire by this era
cause he felt lost.
With all the grunge Music around and stuff maybe he thought
"wtf im doin in this business".
He released YFLM at that time and if you pay attention to the
lyrics,in several songs he refers about quit,retire,etc
Not ina straight way,but thats the impression i have
from that disc.
I mean Sensible shoes,She's my machine and No Big'Ting
give me the impression of the man takin a little time off.
or a big time off.
Maybe that was his intention at the time,and he tried luck
on Las Vegas just to do something different,since the 90s
the showmanship on all music areas is gone.
and Dave was succesful on the 80s for his showmanship
thats maybe the reason that Vegas stuff atracts him so much!
what you think ?

Mr Badguy
02-17-2004, 10:21 AM
Maybe.

Dave was always going to be one of the first to go when grunge came in, because he was the archetypal "rock star".

I mean, how many bigger rock stars can you think of from that era?

Calderone
02-17-2004, 10:24 AM
No rockstars at all !
even KISS got off the 94-95-96 era ---
anmd they released the own grunge album
"carnival of souls"
what if dave had Joined that wagon?
maybe we had some killer Bluesy/dark dave tunes !

DavidLeeNatra
02-17-2004, 06:26 PM
first of all...sensible shoes is from alae and it's about the loneliness and the sadness that a man like dave is feeling...maybe one of his most personal songs...has nothing to do with quiting anything...

kiss was trying to jump on every fucking wagon...they went from creating their own style to copying every shit just to be reckocgnized in some eras...fuck them...no character...

YFLM was just the album for dave to do without following any expectations...that's what I love the man for...people expect him to come through the door and he will climb through the window...take it as it is..pure dave doing whatever the fuck he wants...

Calderone
02-17-2004, 06:29 PM
first of all...sensible shoes is from alae

I WAS CONFUSED ...SORRY OOOPS
WHAT A FOOL

nagshasty
02-17-2004, 06:30 PM
Gotta agree with you, sammycalderone.

Played "A Little Ain't Enough" till I didn't need to play it any more, cos it virtually played in my head, all by itself!

Bought YFLM on the day of release (Jeez - 10 full years ago, virtually to the DAY - where's the last 10 years of my life gone...?!)

Played it, tried to like it, but spent the next ten years alternately trying to get into it, or trying to deny its existence - whilst waiting for the next "proper" DLR album to come along...

Went to the tour when it hit Bradford, England (you'll need a REAL powerful search engine to register that sad shonky place!) and it was abysmal. Dave was trying (I think) but everything was against him - from the appalling accoustics and run-down venue, to the lacklustre material. Lifelong fans left the evening shaking their heads in despair and bewilderment - where had it gone?

And yes, it's an album that grows on you (I used to think "Experience" might be my new "Tell The Truth" but it just isn't as good) but 10 years - should it have to take that long?

To be fair, reading Dave's autobiography puts it into a clearer perspective (well - helps me see it all from HIS point of view, rather than mine - which is entirely good enough for me)

His two tracks with VH on their "greatest hits" album were (to my mind) back to his cocky self-assured best - then he went and did a track on his own "greatest hits" album that I can't even listen to.

I've kinda not taken much notice of music in the 3-4 years since. Sounds like there's some more material out. I best shut up and give it a listen! Great to find this site though, and (I hope) some like-minded folk. Hope no one takes offence at my comments.

P.S. I'm sure "Sensible Shoes" is on "A Little Ain't Enough" Sh*t, I'd best go play 'em all again a few times, just to make sure. Catch you all again when I sober up!

DLR7884
02-21-2004, 02:03 PM
You guys read too far into this shit.

DLR7884
It was a "mature" album, get over it! :)

nagshasty
02-21-2004, 02:53 PM
DLR7884

Can't argue with that!

DLR7884
02-21-2004, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by nagshasty
DLR7884

Can't argue with that!

Thank you.

Everyone needs to calm the fuck down and enjoy the music for what it is. I'm sure DLR didn't write the lyrics 10 years ago so people could try to figure out what sort of riddle or puzzle they think it is.

DLR7884
Just fucking relax, and enjoy the music. :)

Panamark
02-22-2004, 04:42 AM
Is it just me, or does anyone else find it ironic that the biggest DLR fan, quite possibly on earth, is named Sammy ?? :D

Dave IS VH
02-22-2004, 05:27 AM
I agree, YFLM is a good album, but I think Dave wrote the album to try to save his career, and for his Vegas gig.

The album was released around his Vegas days.

DLR7884
02-22-2004, 05:44 AM
Vegas was after YFLM was released.

If it were written for his Vegas gig, why didn't he play very many songs off it?

Like usual, you make no sense.

DLR7884
Good use of commas though!

DLR7884
02-22-2004, 05:48 AM
Was Dave's setlist consistant in Vegas?

If it was, based on the list of downloads from one of his Vegas shows, he played exactly ZERO songs from YFLM live in Vegas.

DLR7884
He wrote it for Vegas, my ass.

Elitest
02-22-2004, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by DLR7884
Thank you.

DLR7884
Just fucking relax, and enjoy the music. :)

thank YOU DLR7884

:cool: