PDA

View Full Version : "BTK" Serial Killer Reportedly In Custody

Nickdfresh
02-26-2005, 11:17 AM
CNN has on press conference regarding the reported capture of "Bind, Torture, & Kill" suspect.

Sources: 'Person of interest' questioned in BTK case
Authorities waiting on DNA test results

Saturday, February 26, 2005 Posted: 8:12 AM EST (1312 GMT)

http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2005/US/02/26/btk.investigation/story.btk.ap.jpg
The body of suspected BTK victim Shirley Vian is carried from her house in Wichita, Kansas, in 1977.

(CNN (http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/02/26/btk.investigation/index.html)) -- Authorities questioned a "person of interest" in the BTK killer investigation Friday, and converged on a home in Park City, Kansas, just outside Wichita, sources told CNN.

CNN affiliate KAKE, a Wichita station that the killer has sent letters to in the past, said authorities were awaiting results of DNA tests to see whether they could be linked to the case.

The killer calls himself BTK, for "bind, torture and kill," a pattern he has followed with most of his victims.

Sources said the person of interest was questioned for several hours Friday, and that they were growing increasingly confident that the 30-year investigation may be nearing an end.

No arrests have been made, and no charges have been filed.

A news conference is scheduled for 10 a.m. (11 a.m. ET) Saturday, to be attended by police officials, the district attorney, Wichita's mayor and City Council members, the mayor's office said.

The BTK case -- at least eight killings, dating back to 1974 -- has come under renewed scrutiny in recent months, with the killer taunting law enforcement through a series of letters.

Outside the home in Park City, authorities cordoned off the street and investigators combed the area. A Wichita police bomb squad truck, SWAT trucks and dozens of police cars and other emergency vehicles lined the street.

One neighbor in Park City expressed shock about the developments.

"I don't even want to think that it could possibly be real," the neighbor, who gave his name as Greg, told KAKE. "This is a real normal block. I mean it's just normal families. It's quiet, it's peaceful. ... People walk their dogs, kids play on their bikes -- it's really normal. It's a pure piece of America."

Richard Lamunyon, the former Wichita police chief who pledged in the 1970s that the killer would be caught, told KAKE that authorities were focusing "in on a single individual," and that they were being extremely cautious with what they could release to the public.

"You want to make sure -- 100 percent -- that if you are, in fact, focusing on an individual, he is the individual that you want," he said.

The former chief added: "I'm confident that necessary warrants were drawn in advance, before the individual was taken into custody for interview, and subsequent items have been taken as a result of the search warrant."

Wichita police, the FBI, the Kansas Bureau of Investigation, the district attorney's office and the Park City mayor refused to comment about the developments.
Unsolved killings in town

The victims of two unsolved killings -- Dolores Davis and Marine Hedge -- were Park City residents. KAKE reported that Hedge once lived on the same block as the person of interest.

Hedge's body was found along a dirt road in Sedgwick County in May 1985, eight days after she was abducted from her home. The autopsy showed she had been strangled.

Davis was taken from her home January 19, 1991, after a brick was thrown through a sliding glass door. Her body was found beneath a bridge in Sedgwick County, her hands, feet and knees bound with pantyhose.

Those deaths have never been linked to the BTK case, though authorities said there were many similarities.

In January, KAKE received a postcard believed to be from BTK that led to a cereal box near where the two bodies were found. The cereal box contained jewelry and a brick.

Lamunyon told KAKE on Friday that the similarities in those killings "gave us pause to believe there was some connection" to BTK, though authorities could never definitely pinpoint a link.
Communicating with police

The man who calls himself the BTK killer has sent many notes to Wichita police and local media in the past 31 years -- and once even reported one of his own killings to police dispatchers.

The last death blamed on him was in 1986 when a 28-year-old mother, Vicki Wegerle, was killed in her home in Wichita.

From 1977 to 1979, police and news media received letters from a writer claiming to be the killer. That was followed by 25 years of silence, leading some to believe BTK had died.

In March 2004, his communications resumed when he linked himself to the eighth killing and divulged what he said was more information about himself.

Last week, the FBI confirmed that two letters found in Wichita were authentic communication from the killer. The driver's license of one of the slain women was found, as well.

In an interview with KAKE on Friday, Charlie Otero -- whose parents, brother and sister were the first victims of BTK in 1974 -- said he was anxious about the latest developments.

"My heart is leaping out of my chest," he said. "I just hope I can come out of my shell when all of this is over."

He said he longs to ask the BTK killer: "Why my family? What ties did my father have with this man? And I want to know the truth."

Hardrock69
02-26-2005, 05:29 PM
I went to school with two of the Otero children who survived.

Man, when that happened, for weeks parents were keeping their kids at home, and the whole city was kinda paranoid.....

It is all too bad that fucker cannot be put to death.....you have no idea how glad I am they caught that sick fuck....

Little_Skittles
02-26-2005, 05:35 PM
they no he let them catch him, he couldn't of been any more obvious! He started corresponding with them and just basically led them to him.

Hardrock69
02-27-2005, 02:38 AM
Considering he had gotten away with that shit for 30 years, if he had just kept his fucking yap shut, he would never have got caught.....

gggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..........

Cathedral
02-27-2005, 02:51 AM
Turns out the dudes daughter turned him in and DNA linked him to the murders.
He wanted to get caught, and what puzzles me is the 25 year pause.

Nickdfresh
02-27-2005, 01:58 PM
http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2005/US/02/27/btk.investigation/vert.rader.ap.jpg
Dennis Rader of Park City, Kansas, is suspected of killing 10 people since 1974.

Report: Daughter's DNA aided hunt for BTK suspect
59-year-old Kansan accused of killing 10

Sunday, February 27, 2005 Posted: 12:55 PM EST (1755 GMT)

WICHITA, Kansas (CNN) -- DNA from the daughter of a man suspected in the notorious BTK killings helped lead to his arrest, sources told KAKE-TV, the CNN affiliate in Wichita, Kansas.

In an interview Sunday with CNN, KAKE anchor Larry Hatteberg said, "What we know for sure is that it was her DNA that helped police and the FBI lead them to her father. We do not believe at this point that she actually turned him in."

Either the FBI or the police department obtained a strand of 26-year-old Kerri Rader's DNA, which helped lead authorities to Dennis Rader, Hatteberg said. He said it was unclear how authorities got the DNA.

"We do believe that they already had her father under surveillance and under investigation prior to this," Hatteberg said.

CNN could not immediately confirm the KAKE sources' information.

Police said Saturday they plan to file 10 counts against Rader, 59, in connection with killings between 1974 and 1991 -- eight counts of first-degree murder and two other homicide charges.

However, at a news conference Saturday, Lt. Ken Landwehr, commander of the task force investigating the case, seemed to be praising the previous police chief and other investigators for their careful handling of evidence over the years, which preserved crucial DNA, according to KAKE.

"They did such a good job that we were able to use evidence before anyone had any inkling of what technology would do -- that they did the job so well then that we could do our job now," Landwehr said.

According to the Wichita Eagle newspaper, Rader had worked as a compliance supervisor for Park City, Kansas, in charge of animal control, nuisances, inoperable vehicles and general code compliance since about 1990. He was a one-time president of a Lutheran church, according to KAKE, and a father of two.

His Friday capture was undramatic -- he was detained without incident during a routine traffic stop, police said.

Rader was arrested shortly after noon Friday in Park City, just north of Wichita, where he lived, Landwehr said. No charges have been filed with Sedgwick County District Attorney Nola Foulston.

Initially only eight killings were linked to BTK, but Sedgwick County Sheriff Gary Steed said police will file homicide charges for the previously unsolved killings of two Park City women: Marine Hedge in April 1985 and Delores Davis in January 1991.

The killer coined his own nickname, BTK, "bind, torture and kill," a pattern he has followed with most of his victims.

The pending first-degree murder charges are related to these killings :

# January 1974: Julie and Joseph Otero are strangled in their home along with two of their children, Joseph Jr. and Josephine.

# April 1974: Kathryn Bright, 21, is stabbed to death in her home.

# March 1977: Shirley Vian, 24, is tied up and strangled in her home.

# December 1977: Nancy Fox, 25, is tied up and strangled in her home. BTK's voice is captured on tape when he calls a police dispatcher to report the homicide.

# September 1986: Vicki Wegerle, 28, was strangled in her home.

Foulston said the death penalty will not apply in the BTK case because it was reinstated in 1994, three years after the last known killing attributed to BTK.

The Rest (http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/02/27/btk.investigation/index.html)

academic punk
02-27-2005, 02:12 PM
Wasn't he a devout Lutheran?

Nickdfresh
02-27-2005, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by academic punk
Wasn't he a devout Lutheran?

Yes, when he wasn't "binding, torturing, and killing people," he was active in his church.

I also heard he was a real prick to live next too and would cite his neighbors for housing violations.

academic punk
02-27-2005, 02:20 PM
And wasn't he always going on and on about how he was "saved", and how everyhting in the Bible is literally true, and how W. is the greatest president ever, or at least since Jesus Christ, who wasn't even president, but, hey, minor details, and "the liberal agenda"* will destory the country without someone like Bush (or jesus) in the white house to prevent it?

*"you liberal agenda" is a copyright of warham and ELVIS and cannot be used without the express written permission of the owners. All rights reserved 2005 through the impending apocolypse.

academic punk
02-27-2005, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh

I also heard he was a real prick to live next too and would cite his neighbors for housing violations.

I'll gladly accept the housing violations in comparison to the alternative with this guy!

Hardrock69
02-27-2005, 03:53 PM
Yeah...I want to hear what he has to say about this....

Having gone to school with a couple of the kids.....I am pretty curious what made this fucking loser's mind tick....

From initial descriptions of what this idiot was like, it seems the FBI psychological profile was pretty much on the money.....dude had a superiority complex, etc.

I am just glad they finally caught his ass....

BigBadBrian
03-01-2005, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
Yeah...I want to hear what he has to say about this....

Having gone to school with a couple of the kids.....I am pretty curious what made this fucking loser's mind tick....

From initial descriptions of what this idiot was like, it seems the FBI psychological profile was pretty much on the money.....dude had a superiority complex, etc.

I am just glad they finally caught his ass....

They didn't catch him. That's the whole thing. He tired of the whole game. He wanted to be caught. ;)

Hardrock69
03-01-2005, 08:40 PM
True. He coulda got away with it if he had just kept his fucking mouth shut....

Dumbass motherfucker. And now they have charged him with other murders he was not suspected of committing before....

I REALLY hope they can pin a murder on him from after 1994 so they can fry his fucking ass......

WHOYOUFUCKINJOE
03-01-2005, 08:51 PM
the lead investigator was black. That's the entire reason he was able to get away with this for so long. Same thing with the DC sniper. Black lead investigator therefore it took forever to catch these two.

Little_Skittles
03-01-2005, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Cathedral
Turns out the dudes daughter turned him in and DNA linked him to the murders.
He wanted to get caught, and what puzzles me is the 25 year pause.

No his daughter didn't turn him in yes the dna linked him but she didn't turn him in she helped prove they had their man.

Little_Skittles
03-01-2005, 08:56 PM
He's now eligable for the death penalty.

scottydabodi
03-01-2005, 10:40 PM
BTK may be in custody, but KING KONG AIN'T GOT SHIT ON ME!!!

Just in case you're wondering why my replies ain't makin no sense whatsoever, I'm blasted outta my mind right now... big ass red wine....oww...

Little_Skittles
03-02-2005, 08:28 PM
What brought him in was the disk that he i think sent to police but he "deleted" files off of it well they're still there only under a different name that was what brought him in.