PDA

View Full Version : Any drummers in the house?

BigBadBrian
02-18-2004, 11:03 AM
My son is a budding young drummer and is pretty decent at that. Right now, all he has in his 5 piece kit is a hi-hat and a crash/ride in the cymbals department. I told him a couple of years ago that if he stuck with it and improved I would break down and get him a decent set of cymbals, something that he could keep indefinitely. We're initially going for a hi-hat, crash, ride, and maybe a China and possibly a splash.

Question - what do I look for? Brands? He wants Zildjian and has this in his head. Should I buy them by the set or individually? Let me know - I sure would appreciate it. I play the bass and guitar and don't know a damn thing concerning the percussion department. Thanks.

Bonzo
02-20-2004, 12:43 PM
Buying cymals are always cheaper in the set. You can get, say a set of 14" hi-hats, a 16" ride and an 18"-22" crash/ride set of cymbals, for Zildjian, from $325-$375, saving at least $100 or more.
You may want to check into Sabian though, for the very same quality. I bought a set of Zildjian K-series cymbols, which is high in bronze. They have a high pitched ring of which I had to "dampen" by putting 4 small sections of tape on the bottom of the cymbal. At the time, I could have spent the same money and bought a top of the line Sabian cymbol. I'm not sure how they are priced now.
You see, Sabian is one of the Zildjian brothers, who for some reason, left the Zildjian Co. to start his own company. So, they are, esentualy, the same cymbol.
Paste, Bonham's brand, is another cymbal manufactuer, but I cannot comment on them, because I've never played them. JHB made them sound good.
I suggest Toca or LP (Latin Percussion) for cowbells, bongos, wood blocks, tamborines, etc. Both companies make fine products.
For stix, and there are many different brands, I would suggest Vic Firth, Ludwig or JB percussion. I use a 3B, which is a semi-thick stick. Your son will have to decide which is more comfortable for him. Tapeing fingers or batters gloves will help with grip, and make sure he learns to flex at the wrist instead of using full arm motion.
I hope this information has helped you, and it will give you an idea of what to look for. Any other questions I will answer to the best of my ability.
Brother of beat,
Bonzo.

Seshmeister
02-20-2004, 12:53 PM
'Drummers are people who hit things for a living' - DLR

Bonzo
02-20-2004, 01:00 PM
Musiciansfriend has good prices.

Bonzo
02-20-2004, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
'Drummers are people who hit things for a living' - DLR

It's a GRATE job, but make no mistake, we are musicians. I play in 'Z' chord.:D

BigBadBrian
02-20-2004, 01:14 PM
Bonzo, thanks for all the info!!! :rockit:

You too, Sesh. :D

Bonzo
02-20-2004, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
Bonzo, thanks for all the info!!! :rockit:

No problem! I've been trying to post for three days now, but sadly, my "Junyore Grades" persona seems to have been KIA when the sight glitched the other day.

BigBadBrian
02-21-2004, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by Bonzo
No problem! I've been trying to post for three days now, but sadly, my "Junyore Grades" persona seems to have been KIA when the sight glitched the other day.

Yeah, I noticed that. Wondered why you were back as Bonzo.

Bonzo
02-23-2004, 03:18 PM
Untimely deaths are most tragic when it's your own.