PDA

View Full Version : High-Ranking Clinton Aid Hoping For Failure

Warham
03-03-2005, 04:57 PM
BY JAMES TARANTO
Wednesday, March 2, 2005 10:53 a.m. EST
opinionjournal.com

'But as an American . . .'
We hardly ever watch Comedy Central's "The Daily Show With Jon Stewart," but our TV happened to be tuned to it last night when erstwhile Clinton aide Nancy Soderberg, author of "The Superpower Myth: The Use and Misuse of American Might" (foreword by Bill Clinton, blurb by Madeleine Albright) came on. We're not sure what possessed us to turn on the sound and watch, but we're glad we did, for it was a fascinating interview. Here's a TiVo-assisted transcript of most of it:

Stewart: This book--it talks about the superpower myth of the United States. There is this idea, the United States is the sole superpower, and I guess the premise of the book is we cannot misuse that power--have to use it wisely, and not just punitively. Is that--

Soderberg: That's right. What I argue is that the Bush administration fell hostage to the superpower myth, believing that because we're the most powerful nation on earth, we were all-powerful, could bend the world to our will and not have to worry about the rest of the world. I think what they're finding in the second term is, it's a little bit harder than that, and reality has an annoying way of intruding.

Stewart: But what do you make of--here's my dilemma, if you will. I don't care for the way these guys conduct themselves--and this is just you and I talking, no cameras here [audience laughter]. But boy, when you see the Lebanese take to the streets and all that, and you go, "Oh my God, this is working," and I begin to wonder, is it--is the way that they handled it really--it's sort of like, "Uh, OK, my daddy hits me, but look how tough I'm getting." You know what I mean? Like, you don't like the method, but maybe--wrong analogy, is that, uh--?

Soderberg: Well, I think, you know, as a Democrat, you don't want anything nice to happen to the Republicans, and you don't want them to have progress. But as an American, you hope good things would happen. I think the way to look at it is, they can't credit for every good thing that happens, but they need to be able to manage it. I think what's happening in Lebanon is great, but it's not necessarily directly related to the fact that we went into Iraq militarily.

Stewart: Do you think that the people of Lebanon would have had, sort of, the courage of their conviction, having not seen--not only the invasion but the election which followed? It's almost as though that the Iraqi election has emboldened this crazy--something's going on over there. I'm smelling something.

Soderberg: I think partly what's going on is the country next door, Syria, has been controlling them for decades, and they [the Syrians] were dumb enough to blow up the former prime minister of Lebanon in Beirut, and they're--people are sort of sick of that, and saying, "Wait a minute, that's a stretch too far." So part of what's going on is they're just protesting that. But I think there is a wave of change going on, and if we can help ride it though the second term of the Bush administration, more power to them.

Stewart: Do you think they're the guys to--do they understand what they've unleashed? Because at a certain point, I almost feel like, if they had just come out at the very beginning and said, "Here's my plan: I'm going to invade Iraq. We'll get rid of a bad guy because that will drain the swamp"--if they hadn't done the whole "nuclear cloud," you know, if they hadn't scared the pants off of everybody, and just said straight up, honestly, what was going on, I think I'd almost--I'd have no cognitive dissonance, no mixed feelings.

Soderberg: The truth always helps in these things, I have to say. But I think that there is also going on in the Middle East peace process--they may well have a chance to do a historic deal with the Palestinians and the Israelis. These guys could really pull off a whole--

Stewart: This could be unbelievable!

Soderberg:---series of Nobel Peace Prizes here, which--it may well work. I think that, um, it's--

Stewart: [buries head in hands] Oh my God! [audience laughter] He's got, you know, here's--

Soderberg: It's scary for Democrats, I have to say.

Stewart: He's gonna be a great--pretty soon, Republicans are gonna be like, "Reagan was nothing compared to this guy." Like, my kid's gonna go to a high school named after him, I just know it.

Soderberg: Well, there's still Iran and North Korea, don't forget. There's hope for the rest of us.

Stewart: [crossing fingers] Iran and North Korea, that's true, that is true [audience laughter]. No, it's--it is--I absolutely agree with you, this is--this is the most difficult thing for me to--because, I think, I don't care for the tactics, I don't care for this, the weird arrogance, the setting up. But I gotta say, I haven't seen results like this ever in that region.

Soderberg: Well wait. It hasn't actually gotten very far. I mean, we've had--

Stewart: Oh, I'm shallow! I'm very shallow!

Soderberg: There's always hope that this might not work. No, but I think, um, it's--you know, you have changes going on in Egypt; Saudi Arabia finally had a few votes, although women couldn't participate. What's going on here in--you know, Syria's been living in the 1960s since the 1960s--it's, part of this is--

Stewart: You mean free love and that kind of stuff? [audience laughter] Like, free love, drugs?

Soderberg: If you're a terrorist, yeah.

Stewart: They are Baathists, are they--it looks like, I gotta say, it's almost like we're not going to have to invade Iran and Syria. They're gonna invade themselves at a certain point, no? Or is that completely naive?

Soderberg: I think it's moving in the right direction. I'll have to give them credit for that. We'll see.

Stewart: Really? Hummus for everybody, for God's sakes.

We've long been skeptical of Jon Stewart, but color us impressed. He managed to ambush this poor woman brutally, in a friendly interview. She was supposed to be promoting her book, and instead he got her to spend the entire interview debunking it (at least if we understood the book's thesis correctly from the very brief discussion of it up top).

She also admitted repeatedly that Democrats are hoping for American failure in the Middle East. To be sure, this is not true of all Democrats, Soderberg speaks only for herself, and she says she is ambivalent ("But as an American . . ."). But we do not question her expertise in assessing the prevailing mentality of her own party. No wonder Dems get so defensive about their patriotism.

Interesting too is Stewart's acknowledgment of his own "cognitive dissonance" and "mixed feelings" over the Iraq liberation. It's a version of an argument we've been hearing a lot lately: As our Brendan Miniter puts it, "The president's critics never seem to tire of claiming that the war in Iraq began over weapons of mass destruction and only later morphed into a war of liberation."

Miniter correctly notes that "this criticism isn't entirely right," but for the sake of argument let's assume it is. What does it mean? President Bush has altered his arguments to conform to reality, while his critics remain fixated on obsolete disputes. This would seem utterly to refute the liberal media stereotype. Bush, it turns out, is a supple-minded empiricist, while his opponents are rigid ideologues.

DrMaddVibe
03-03-2005, 05:04 PM
And you're surprised?

Clinton had 8 years to do something and accomplished getting impeached!

FORD
03-03-2005, 05:06 PM
Clinton tried to do a lot, but the neocon congress fought him every step of the way. Doing then what they do now - putting their party before the country :mad:

DrMaddVibe
03-03-2005, 05:09 PM
His record doesn't show that at all.

What I mean by that is that you can wish for pie-in-the-sky but that doesn't mean you did anything because someone else that was going to pay for it told you it was a dumbass idea!

Angel
03-03-2005, 06:34 PM
That whole impeached thing was bullshit anyway, thus the lack of conviction and the fact that he was allowed to finish his term. Why can't you guys learn to stay the fuck out of peoples bedrooms? That was a family issue, nothing to do with his ability to lead the people.

The government hasn't been allowed in peoples bedrooms here since 1967 - allows us to concentrate on finding out which politicians are stealing from us, instead of worrying about who they are fucking.

Nickdfresh
03-03-2005, 07:00 PM
This article is largley bullshit! She never said she wished failure on the the Middle Eastern policy.

Secondly, lets not foraward the myth that the Syrians may withdraw from Lebanon because of the US sabre-rattling.

THEY FUCKED UP BY MURDERING the Lebanese opposition leader and then getting caught. The Labanese are ousting the Syrians, not the US Military! Which is how it should be.

And I am not sure that an election of a largely pro-Iranian gov't in Iraq is a "good thing" in any case.

academic punk
03-03-2005, 07:34 PM
I watched this - I was a little surprised that someone in her position was making statements like this - but they were intended as jokes, in response to the hosts' riffs, and the audience was loving Jon Stewart's jokes.

Come on, as Jon Stewart says, this is a show that's on after muppets makking prank phone calls. Lighten up.

Though I do feel some of her comments were inappropriate, if you'd seen it in context, it wouldn't be anything you'd bat an eye at (which is why it's not even in the NY Post, but the opinionjournal...whatever the hell that is)

ELVIS
03-04-2005, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by Angel
Why can't you guys learn to stay the fuck out of peoples bedrooms? That was a family issue, nothing to do with his ability to lead the people.

The Oval Office is not a bedroom!

Ronald Reagan never entered the Oval Office without a coat and tie...

That's a fact...

Do you notice the different levels of integrity ??

LoungeMachine
03-04-2005, 03:35 AM
Originally posted by ELVIS

That's a fact...

Sure took alot of "integrity" to allow Iran/Contra, didn't it?

LoungeMachine
03-04-2005, 03:37 AM

Neither is a Church. Sure doesn't seem to bother pedophile clergy.

Where's your outrage over THOSE blow-jobs?

Or do you only concern yourself with ADULT activities?

Warham
03-04-2005, 06:52 AM
Elvis isn't Catholic that I'm aware, Lounge.

Nickdfresh
03-04-2005, 08:11 AM

That's a fact...

No, he just traded arms for hostages in order to get them released the day of his inaugeration. He turned tale and ran from Lebanon, effectively never retaliating against Iran for the deaths of 300 Marines.

DrMaddVibe
03-04-2005, 08:17 AM
With the Soviet threat so close in Afghanistan Nick.

C'mon! Do you want a full scale World War?

Nickdfresh
03-04-2005, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
With the Soviet threat so close in Afghanistan Nick.

C'mon! Do you want a full scale World War?

Just saying he's not perfect either. They all have skeletons.

Except maybe Presidents Ford & Carter.

DrMaddVibe
03-04-2005, 08:24 AM
How can 2 bowls of jello have a spine?

Those 2 rank high on the all-time worst President list!

Nickdfresh
03-04-2005, 08:32 AM
How can 2 bowls of jello have a spine?

Those 2 rank high on the all-time worst President list!

I didn't say they were great Presidents, just did nothing terribly immoral. Though I think both got a raw deal and were basically decent men.

DrMaddVibe
03-04-2005, 09:55 AM
One forgave and pardoned a President for criminal activity.

The other was a poster child for inbreeding.

The economy under both was abysmal and the slept.

The World's actions towards the US interests were under attack and both slept.

Now Ford took himself into private life his quiet and resolved. Carter on the other hand ins't happy unless he's politically meddling and trying like hell to change public perception to the REAL Carter and his record when he COULD'VE done something!

Nick, they both sucked ass as Presidents!

ELVIS
03-04-2005, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Warham
Elvis isn't Catholic that I'm aware, Lounge.

Thank you Warham...

He has no idea there is even a difference...

Nickdfresh
03-04-2005, 10:18 AM
One forgave and pardoned a President for criminal activity.

The other was a poster child for inbreeding.

The economy under both was abysmal and the slept.

The World's actions towards the US interests were under attack and both slept.

Now Ford took himself into private life his quiet and resolved. Carter on the other hand ins't happy unless he's politically meddling and trying like hell to change public perception to the REAL Carter and his record when he COULD'VE done something!

Nick, they both sucked ass as Presidents!

Well Carter was ineffective, but he faced an obstructionist congress (of his own party no less), and frankly he was almost too nice a guy to be president. But he was no dummy, having I believe one of the highest IQ's of anyone too ever hold the office. Although he once claimed that Billy was actually smarter!

Ford, what can I say, he was another nice guy that played too much football without his leather helmet on. But he deserves some respect for seeing the country through some very bad times. I'll give you props for admitting tricky Dick was a criminal cunt though.

ELVIS
03-04-2005, 10:24 AM
Hahahaha...

Wayne L.
03-04-2005, 10:45 AM
In the next 50 years Bill Clinton will be mostly forgotten for the most part except by hardcore Democratic Party loyalists because he didn't do anything as president, despite the hype about the economy at the time by him & his followers, give great political speeches for his causes like Reagan before him & getting impeached since he thought he wouldn't get caught having an affair like JFK.

Nickdfresh
03-04-2005, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Wayne L.
In the next 50 years Bill Clinton will be mostly forgotten for the most part except by hardcore Democratic Party loyalists because he didn't do anything as president, despite the hype about the economy at the time by him & his followers, give great political speeches for his causes like Reagan before him & getting impeached since he thought he wouldn't get caught having an affair like JFK.

Thank you Wayne for the insightful political analysis because you have such a great mind and are really on the ball today, you really seem to know your history and have really worthwhile opinions because you really know what you are talking about and convey ideas very effectively with your unique writing style that has little in the way of punctuation in it and it is a very considerate style to write with for the reader, so please share more of your ideas like your ramblings about women's feet and writing long personal ads at this site.

Wayne L.
03-04-2005, 10:56 AM
I know I'm great so stop harassing me constantly & give your opinion on the subject matter at hand if you have one at all Nicky boy.

Nickdfresh
03-04-2005, 11:01 AM
I know I'm great so stop harassing me constantly & give your opinion on the subject matter at hand if you have one at all Nicky boy.

I already have Wayne, it's just that your posts are irrating and sometimes nauseating all at once. This is the last forum you need to post in. Say Wayne? why don't you go back to that Republican blog and harrass them some more about the Conventions? Or did they ban you?

Wayne L.
03-04-2005, 11:04 AM
Stop kissing my ass because you're lonely because I know you have no power & you have no money & you have no life & if you want to harass me, that's your problem Nicky boy. BTW, I'm going to ignore you unless you print an actual picture of me on this site & not some made up one for your personal enjoyment.

Nickdfresh
03-04-2005, 11:08 AM
Stop kissing my ass because you're lonely because I know you have no power & you have no money & you have no life & if you want to harass me, that's your problem Nicky boy. BTW, I'm going to ignore you unless you print an actual picture of me on this site & not some made up one for your personal enjoyment.

Please don't ignore me Wayne! I find you entertaining as well as the above. I'll print your picture later, didn't you send one in along with the personal ad! I can tell Ally_Kat was really impressed. I hear she has sexy feet.

Wayne L.
03-04-2005, 11:31 AM
What's wrong with long legs & sexy feet on beautiful women anyway Nicky boy?

Nickdfresh
03-04-2005, 01:02 PM

Wayne, have you had any takers on your personal ad yet? I mean an unemployable 41-year-old dolt that lives with his mother must be a fine catch for a lucky lady with long legs and sensuous feet!

Wayne L.
03-04-2005, 02:29 PM
Do you really think I'm going to tell you anyway Nicky boy? I thought you knew everything as you like to say.

DLR7884
03-04-2005, 02:38 PM
BTW, I'm going to ignore you unless you print an actual picture of me on this site & not some made up one for your personal enjoyment.

This is the picture you sent me back in December of yourself.

DLR7884
Don't deny it.

Nickdfresh
03-04-2005, 03:12 PM