PDA

View Full Version : Bush Puts Laura In Charge Of Anti-Gang Efforts, Then Slashes Funds

blueturk
03-04-2005, 01:10 PM
http://www.charlotte.com/mld/observer/news/11037357.htm

With great fanfare, Dubya appointed his wife to be in charge of initiatives to keep kids out of gangs,and also announced that $150 million dollars was earmarked for this grand vision. What he failed to mention is that his new federal budget would virtually decimate a lot of anti-gang programs that already exist. Well, I guess Laura probably needs something to do anyway....

March 3, 2005

Plans to slash anti-gang funds generate howls

But Bush highlights first lady's program

WILLIAM DOUGLAS

Knight Ridder

WASHINGTON - With 82 gangs boasting 1,500 members that roam his suburbs, Gerald Connolly, the board chairman of Fairfax County, Va., was thrilled when President Bush announced last month a new $150 million program to reduce gang membership across the country.

But the thrill was gone when Connolly saw Bush's proposed $2.6 trillion 2006 federal budget a few days later, because it proposed to cut hundreds of millions of dollars in aid to state and local programs that help troubled kids and anti-gang efforts.

Many lawmakers and law enforcers say Bush's proposed spending cuts will have a devastating impact on needed programs at a time when youth gangs present a pervasive nationwide problem.

"He's offering modest assistance on one hand, while proposing draconian reductions on the other hand in terms of intervention and prevention programs," said Connolly, a Democrat. "It's a good thing to have $150 million and it provides good public relations cover. But the only additional resources they're providing is $150 million over three years for the entire country?"

Charlotte-Mecklenburg police Sgt. Beth Boggess is disturbed that her Gang Intelligence Unit may lose $39,000 in federal funding. The money helps a program that targets youths who are either in gangs or interested in getting out of them.

"We'll have to look for other grants to support the program," she said. "We're looking for funding from the City Council, but that's up in the air."

There are about 21,500 gangs nationwide with more than 731,500 members, according to a 2002 Justice Department study. The report also states that gang membership dropped by 14 percent between 1996 and 2002.

But many law enforcement experts say the Justice Department statistics are outdated. They say the numbers don't reflect a growing gang problem fueled by poverty; a return to the streets of older gang members released from prisons; a growing immigrant population; and the rise of foreign-based gangs such as El Salvador's Mara Salvatrucha or MS-13.

Bush spotlighted the problem in his State of the Union address, when he assigned his wife, first lady Laura Bush, to oversee his three-year, $150 million program. But then he unveiled those proposed budget cuts. Among them:

• He would slash the Community Oriented Policing Services, or COPS, program from $499 million this year to $22 million in fiscal 2006. COPS gives local law enforcement agencies federal money to hire more police and improve their equipment.

• He would eliminate the Juvenile Accountability Block Grant program, which provided $54 million this year to help prosecutors address gang, drug and violence problems.

• He would cut more than $412 million from education, after-school, and family support programs that help kids stay away from gangs, according to Sanford Newman, president of Fight Crime: Invest in Kids, a Washington-based coalition of police chiefs, sheriffs, prosecutors and crime victims.

"The unfortunate fact is we were making significant headway in controlling gang activity," said James Alan Fox, a criminal justice professor at Boston's Northeastern University. "The cuts are unfortunate because gang activity has made a resurgence.

"What will $150 million buy you? Maybe $10 per kid," Fox said. "You look at the cost and devastation that gang violence brings and $150 million sounds like a token amount for something for Laura Bush to do. It's a feel-good thing."

White House officials say the new program and the proposed budget cuts reflect a shifting of resources from methods that haven't worked to a new approach that highlights local programs that get results.

FORD
03-04-2005, 01:49 PM
What the fuck can Pickles teach these gang bangers? How to take someone out without a bullet?

Yo muthafuckaz MC Vehicular Homicide in the hizzouse!

FORD
03-04-2005, 01:53 PM
Caption for the picture above......

JUNIOR: ...And I swear to God, that bass was THAT big!!

PICKLES: George, shut the fuck up before one of these hoodlums busts a cap in your lilywhite ass.

academic punk
03-04-2005, 02:03 PM
I'm actually unfamiliar with this Laura killed an ex-boyfriend thing.

care to illuminate?

academic punk
03-04-2005, 02:04 PM
But if it's true, then maybe she IS the right person to talk to gangstas!

blueturk
03-04-2005, 02:23 PM
Mrs. Bush ran stop sign in fatal crash
AUSTIN, Texas (AP) - Details in a 1963 accident report say that Laura Bush, then 17, ran a stop sign in the Texas crash that killed a friend in another car. The report, adding information to previous reports of the crash, was released to The Associated Press on Wednesday.

Mrs. Bush now is the wife of Republican presidential nominee-to-be George W. Bush, the Texas governor.

''It was a very tragic accident that deeply affected the families and was very painful for all involved, including the community at large,'' said Mrs. Bush's spokesman, Andrew Malcolm. ''To this day, Mrs. Bush remains unable to talk about it.''

She did say in March, when asked at a campaign stop about the crash, ''I know this as an adult, and even more as a parent, it was crushing ... for the family involved and for me as well.''

There had been published accounts of the accident, but city officials had declined to release the records because those involved were under 18. The police report was released Wednesday in response to an open-records request that was submitted to Midland officials in March.

According to the two-page accident report, Laura Welch was driving her Chevrolet sedan on a clear night shortly after 8 p.m. on Nov. 6, 1963, when she drove into an intersection and struck a Corvair sedan driven by 17-year-old Michael Douglas.

Although previous news accounts have reported Douglas was thrown from the car and broke his neck, those details were not in the report.

The speed of Laura Bush's car was illegible on the report. The speed limit for the road was 55.

Laura Bush and her passenger, Judy Dykes, also 17, were taken to a hospital and treated for minor injuries, according to an accident account printed at the time in the Midland Reporter-Telegram.

The police report indicates no charges were filed. That section of the report was left blank.

''As far as we know, no charges were filed,'' said Midland city attorney Keith Stretcher. ''I don't think it's unusual that charges weren't filed.''

http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/e1698.htm

FORD
03-04-2005, 02:55 PM
That USA Today article leaves out one very important detail. Michael Douglas was not merely a "friend" of Laura "Pickles" Welch, he was her boyfriend. Or should I say ex-boyfriend, as the two broke up just days before the "accident".

My browser's not doing tabs too well at the moment, but the original story is posted at the right wing site "Free Republic.com" for the Busheep who won't take my word for it.

I also remember reading an eye witness account which said Laura actually sped up as she approached the intersection where the wreck occurred, and that in doing so, she had full view of the car entering the road, and knew whose car it was (this is a small town in Texas, after all).

(If I can find that article, I'll put it up as well, but it's amazing how fast stories which speak the truth about the BCE disappear these days)

Sounds like the motive of "a woman scorned" to me.

And just like the family she would later marry into, she got away with murder.

Nickdfresh
03-04-2005, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by FORD
What the fuck can Pickles teach these gang bangers? How to take someone out without a bullet?

Yo muthafuckaz MC Vehicular Homicide in the hizzouse!

Mr. Pickles is one badass Mofo!

academic punk
03-04-2005, 03:05 PM
that's horrible

The Scatologist
03-05-2005, 06:08 AM
Fuck Bush, gangs have been terrorizing the US for far longer, and on a far larger scale then Al-Qaida ever was.

Nickdfresh
03-05-2005, 09:32 AM
Maybe we can increase the "terra-alert level" in order to protect us from criminal gangs!

I remember when large organized crime syndicates were a threat to national security, and it wasn't just handed to an unqualified, dolt of a first-lady to manage.

http://www.kennerly.com/images_pix/171_Robert-Kennedy.jpg

diamondD
03-05-2005, 11:26 AM
Let me get this straight Dave. You have been harassing her for years and she was 17 when this happened? That's pretty sad that that's all you have to hate her for, a mistake when she was a kid.

I have a hard time believing if there were eye witness accounts like you said that charges would have never been filed. But it's one of your milder conspiracy theories I guess.

FORD
03-05-2005, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by diamondD
Let me get this straight Dave. You have been harassing her for years and she was 17 when this happened? That's pretty sad that that's all you have to hate her for, a mistake when she was a kid.

Who said I hated Pickles? I don't have any feelings about her one way or another actually, just pointing out what a good fit she was for the BCE, resolving a bad breakup by killing her ex boyfriend with a car. And how exactly have I been "harassing" her?

I have a hard time believing if there were eye witness accounts like you said that charges would have never been filed. But it's one of your milder conspiracy theories I guess.

Somebody probably paid someone to make it go away. You gonna tell me that doesn't happen in rural towns, especially in the South? ;)

diamondD
03-05-2005, 12:07 PM
Saying it probably happened and the facts are 2 different things. You just like to insinuate it's true.

The "harrassing" is using something in a kid's personal life to further your BSCE conpiracy theories. You insinuate that all your theories involving this are true.

"Somebody probably paid to make it go away" Says who? The guy who thinks missiles were fired into the WTC from robot guided planes before the planted bombs brought it down?

Yeeeeeeeah. It's probably just like you said. :rolleyes: ;)

The Scatologist
03-05-2005, 04:08 PM
A mistake they made when they were a kid eh? Tell that to all the kids that were executed when Bush was gov'nar of Texas.

Not that punishing child murderer's is bad. You KNOW you're not supposed to murder someone even when you're a fucking kid. Gimme a fucking break.

diamondD
03-05-2005, 06:21 PM
There's a huge difference between a teenage girl and a thug who's killed somebody on purpose. Nice try.

The Scatologist
03-05-2005, 08:55 PM
Tell me what's the difference? The way they dress? The fact that one has boobs, although they are old and saggy now, that you would like to suck?

blueturk
03-05-2005, 09:22 PM
Somebody probably paid someone to make it go away. You gonna tell me that doesn't happen in rural towns, especially in the South? ;)

Like the way that Dubya made the Vietnam War go away! On a more serious note, I'm sure that Laura's intimate knowledge of inner-city life will be a great asset, much like Dubya's courageous military service helped make him a "war president".

BigBadBrian
03-06-2005, 08:39 AM
That USA Today article leaves out one very important detail. Michael Douglas was not merely a "friend" of Laura "Pickles" Welch, he was her boyfriend. Or should I say ex-boyfriend, as the two broke up just days before the "accident".

My browser's not doing tabs too well at the moment, but the original story is posted at the right wing site "Free Republic.com" for the Busheep who won't take my word for it.

I also remember reading an eye witness account which said Laura actually sped up as she approached the intersection where the wreck occurred, and that in doing so, she had full view of the car entering the road, and knew whose car it was (this is a small town in Texas, after all).

(If I can find that article, I'll put it up as well, but it's amazing how fast stories which speak the truth about the BCE disappear these days)

Sounds like the motive of "a woman scorned" to me.

And just like the family she would later marry into, she got away with murder.

You're an idiot. It's amazing how you make shit up out of that pea brain of yours. :gulp:

Nickdfresh
03-06-2005, 11:50 AM
Is anyone going to comment on the fucking lunacy of putting Pickles the Librarian in charge of a major threat to National Security?
http://www.internetweekly.org/images/pickles_ozone.jpg

I think we need Mr. Pickles! That badass pussycat will take out La cosa nostra!
http://www.waidmannsheil.de/w-logos/GSG9.jpg

blueturk
03-06-2005, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
Is anyone going to comment on the fucking lunacy of putting Pickles the Librarian in charge of a major threat to National Security?
http://www.internetweekly.org/images/pickles_ozone.jpg

I think we need Mr. Pickles! That badass pussycat will take out La cosa nostra!
http://www.waidmannsheil.de/w-logos/GSG9.jpg

If Bush the former college cheerleader can be perceived as some kind of macho cowboy, then Laura the former librarian has every qualification to deal with gangs.