PDA

View Full Version : I just watched the 3 Oakland '81 videos....

Bob_R
02-18-2004, 09:27 PM
and my question is

What the fuck is Eddie Van Halen doing?

Wake the fuck up dude! You've sat on your ass long enough!

Va Beach VH Fan
02-18-2004, 09:50 PM
LOL bro, I get pissed everytime I watch those also....

Especially Unchained, pure fuckin' raw....

Lou
02-18-2004, 09:53 PM
Is there a bootleg Oakland DVD out there?

David Lee Rocks
02-18-2004, 10:30 PM
i want that video!! preferebly on a DVD

Terry
02-20-2004, 05:09 PM
Someone needs to put those 3 vids (Unchained, Hear about It Later, So This Is Love?) out on DVD, along with whatever unreleased footage still exists from those Oakland shows.

That should have been done for the Best Of Vol 1 Videos. The fact that it wasn't is another demonstration of how that material is being mishandled.

Goes back to what Dave said in Crazy From The Heat, along the lines of how you can lead a horse to water, but if you intentionally drain the pond, then it's gone, and that this is what seems to be Eddie and Alex's strategy in dealing with the classic lineup's output: If they just ignore it, maybe people will forget.

Well, Ed and Al need a wakeup call. Nobody's ever gonna forget that lineup, so they might as well put all those old promo videos and classic concert footage that's been sitting in the can out there and make a few bucks off it.

Panamark
02-20-2004, 05:29 PM
Tis one of lifes great myteries. No official live Van Halen videos or DVD's. Imagine the prospect of a full pro-shot concert, (that we were previously unaware of) sitting around somewhere. They fuck us over with the reunion, and the second best thing. (A full, live Van Halen video)

Its almost like the Van Heinekins mock us.

Seshmeister
02-20-2004, 05:35 PM
By all accounts Roth always with an eye for merchandising was videoing shit all over the place for years.

Next time one of the people here meets Roth they need to ask that question.

"What videos have you got and can you release them?"

The interesting thing is that when he was in complete control he never released an EEAS or Skyscraper live video at at time when everyone was doing it. LA Guns had a live video out at that time for fuck sake.

Does Dave not like his voice live or does he think it would be like a magician giving away his secrets?

Cheers!

:gulp:

Seshmeister
02-20-2004, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Lou
Is there a bootleg Oakland DVD out there?

No

Panamark
02-20-2004, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister

Does Dave not like his voice live or does he think it would be like a magician giving away his secrets?

I often wonder if its the other way around, the VH bros might not like
Dave's voice live.

Surely they would all have to agree to allow these to be released. Maybe Ed and Alice really hate Dave's live voice so much that they refuse to release them, or perhaps as you put it, Dave is unhappy with them ?

Unless its all in storage for when Van Halen is officially retired ?

Fuck knows.

ALinChainz
02-20-2004, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Terry
Someone needs to put those 3 vids (Unchained, Hear about It Later, So This Is Love?) out on DVD, along with whatever unreleased footage still exists from those Oakland shows.

I bought a dvd (homemade comp) off eBay that has those 3 vids on it.

Also has Dance The Night Away where Dave says in the beginning "brand new for ya". Has the YRGM, Jamie's Cryin' vids, couple over seas TV show appearances (Pretty Woman, Cradle) Dave on Letterman in '85, and other stuff.

At work at the moment but I'll post the list later tonight if anyone wants to know.

Seshmeister
02-20-2004, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Panamark
I often wonder if its the other way around, the VH bros might not like
Dave's voice live.

Well I always thought that too especially after all the bitching and the fact Dave was drunk at the US Festival but as I said that doesn't explain no solo live video.

Cheers!

Panamark
02-20-2004, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
Well I always thought that too especially after all the bitching and the fact Dave was drunk at the US Festival but as I said that doesn't explain no solo live video.

Cheers!

Yeah, thats a very good point. Also makes you wonder why he wouldnt at least allow overdubbed live footage. (If he thinks he sounds like
shit live) Something doesnt make sense.

Va Beach VH Fan
02-20-2004, 10:49 PM
I actually did a little research on it about a year ago...

I can't remember the name of the producers offhand, but if you watch after Unchained ends, you see the names of the 3 producers....

I did a Google search on those names and was able to send an email to one of the companies affiliated with them, but they weren't much help at all...

But you do find some interesting stuff when you search for something like, "Van Halen Oakland 1981"...

Like this, here's the link;

http://experts.about.com/q/632/1887495.htm

Topic: Van Halen

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Expert:Andrea Murphy
Date:9/26/2001
Subject:Videos of early years

Question
I can't seem to get hold of anything of van halen playing live on vid before 5150. My mate bought a really dodgey one years ago of 1984 tour but = it was such bad quality and cost a mint. I saw a clip of them playing 'Here about it later' on Tv a year or so ago on an 80's rock prog on chanel 4. What is that and where can I get a copy of it without getting ripped off?!

Answer
Hi again Jason,

There are very few good tapes of pre-5150 era stuff. Most are late generation and/or taken using questionable gear. The stuff you are talking about is the famous Oakland, CA footage that was pro-shot. It is nice stuff, but only bits and pieces have ever surfaced. Just an idea on how desired the full show is...someone on e-bay claimed to have this full show about a year ago...and bids exceeded $250 prior to the auction being shut down.

What I can do for you...I have a copy of that vid and all the released footage from that show (a few more vids...Unchained, Jamie's Cryin', a few others). On the same tape is also all the 1984 and previous vids in pristine condition. It is dubbed off of some master so it is great quality. Send me your address, give me some good feedback on all experts, and it is yours. No charge. One condition...don't go running to ebay selling it.

If you are into stuff like this...join up with www.vhtrading.com. You can get more ideas on what audio and video is good...and if you can make copies of the tape I send...you will be well on your way as a trader. One rule...don't buy stuff...and don't sell stuff. You can get it all free at this site and make some friends along the way.

Andrea
amurphy1@mediaone.net

And this;

http://www.vhtrading.com/vault/archive11.jpg

That last one would indicate to me that the complete show was taped....

Panamark
02-20-2004, 11:05 PM
Detective VA ! Well done. Hmmm seems like the complete Oakland 81 is out there somewhere ! Sombody *HAS* to get this and master it to DVD for prosperities sake ! Theres god-damned concert footage of the beatles fer christ sakes, Van Halen was in the 80's !! Not some
fucking pre-historic, pre movie camera age in history. There has to be a full concert out there.

Va Beach VH Fan
02-21-2004, 08:38 AM
LOL, you realize Andrea is fibbing a little, Jamie's Cryin' is not one of the three videos....

Of course I'm preaching to the wrong choir, but they're Hear About it Later, So This is Love, and my all-time favorite version of my favorite VH song, Unchained....

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
Just an idea on how desired the full show is...someone on e-bay claimed to have this full show about a year ago...and bids exceeded $250 prior to the auction being shut down.

I wonder if any of us fanatical idiots were included in those who bid ?? I don't recall seeing that, nor hearing about it....

Lou
02-21-2004, 09:42 AM
Yeah hoarding is always a possibility.

DLR7884
02-21-2004, 02:29 PM
I remember that this topic was debated long ago on the DLRML, some crazy bitch said that she had 10 copies of the 81 Oakland show on VHS, when she was asked to sell a copy to someone, she refused.

When she was asked to post a video clip of a song other than the 3 released ones, she failed.

I don't think it's out there, if it were, someone would have cracked and sold a copy by now.

DLR7884
You never know though....

Panamark
02-21-2004, 04:10 PM
When we say theres *not* a copy out there, we are assuming with the general public. I bet EVH has this full concert.

DLR7884
02-21-2004, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Panamark
When we say theres *not* a copy out there, we are assuming with the general public. I bet EVH has this full concert.

He's probably got them all.

DLR7884
I'm sure Dave does too.

Terry
02-23-2004, 10:14 PM
I've got the You Really Got Me, Running With the Devil 1978 promo 'live' lip synched vids, the You Really Got Me 'live' lip synch vid from Japan, the Van Halen 2 1979 tour Don Kirschner's In Concert series featuring You're No Good, Dance The Night Away and Bottoms Up!, a lip synched And The Cradle Will Rock and You Really Got Me from a 1980 European Tv Show, the 3 Oakland 1981 vids, Largo 1982 whole show, Argentina 1983 whole show, Us Festival whole show, Montreal 1984 whole show...all the above are video, all on VHS. Plus a bunch of audio boots. Plus the Pretty Woman promo vid...and the three from the 1984 album on the Best of Vol 1 video. Plus a bunch of Roth interviews and various clips going from 1982 until the present and some 16mm 1981 rough footage from Chicago 1981.

Have never heard of anyone credible who had the whole Oakland 1981 show on video. Those three Oakland 1981 vids were supposedly taken, audio wise, from the last of three Oakland shows, while the footage is actually a mixture of clips from all three shows. If anyone tells you they've got all of Oakland, tell 'em to put up or shut up. And let me know if it turms out to be true. I'd go $50 for a copy of that.

Once in a while, you'll hear of someone saying they have the whole Oakland show on video but refuse to trade it. Trust me, everyone has a price and if anyone did have the footage, it would have made it's way around to serious traders by now.

Most of my stuff is on several different VHS tapes, who knows how many generations removed from the original source.

And there's a bunch of South American stuff out there I haven't bothered to try and get, as well as some late 1970s footage. Never mind that Warner Bros filmed several of the 1984 shows.

I'd pay $200 easy for all of the above to be put out on an offical release, with the audio and video remastered from the original source tapes. Easy. Maybe even more. All cleaned up and on two or three DVD's.

Eddie, Dave, Warner Bros., whoever......there's $$$$$ to be made. People are gonna trade this stuff, regardless of quality, and you know there are plenty who will sell rather than trade. You guys might as well get a cut of some legit sales. Take a cue from Led Zep.

DLR7884
02-24-2004, 12:57 AM
Well said!

DLR7884
I couldn't agree more.