PDA

View Full Version : Woot!!! I Got It!!!

Hardrock69
03-06-2005, 05:36 PM
I had my eye on a Marshall Slant cabinet for the past 5 or 6 weeks.

I suddenly realized a couple of weeks ago, so what if it looks a little beat up (grill cloth needs replaceing, missing at least one plastic corner), $325 for a REAL Marshall cab is a steal! Then I looked at the ad online and realized the music store peeps think it is a 1976 cabinet, and it has 3 G12 25-watt greenbacks and one g12 65-watt speaker in it! ORIGINAL GREENBACK SPEAKERS! :eek:

This cabinet is worth way more than $325!!!!!! And I can go to ampparts.com or someplace and get replacement parts. I WILL be looking for a real 25-watt Greenback as well, so I can have all 4 of the original type speakers in it again.

So I put 50% down on it Friday. I am paying it off this Friday.

WOOHOO!!!

:D
:cool:

Panamark
03-07-2005, 01:05 AM
I like beat up cabs. They have character ! :)

Nitro Express
03-07-2005, 03:59 AM
It will be the only cab you will ever need. I love greenbacks and my 1960 B cab sounds good with every amp I have. In fact, it even sounded sweet with a 5150 combo pushing it. It also sounds great clean. You really can't go wrong. Marshall cabs are tough, a few rips, tears, beer spills, cigarette burns is all part of the game.

Hardrock69
03-07-2005, 10:33 AM
Also at that same store was a road case rack about 5 feet tall with Alice Cooper's name stenciled on it....I believe it also said something like "Stage Left".

Broadway Music in Gnashville is mainly a consignment/used gear store. I have found some killer deals there over the past few years...

I am counting the days until Friday, when I can take this beast home and fire it up!

Eyes of the Night
03-07-2005, 12:56 PM
congrats HR69!!! ...

Hardrock69
03-12-2005, 09:06 PM
I just do not believe this......

I got the cabinet home last night. Took the back off. 3 G12 25-watt Celestions, and one G12 65-watt Celestion.

And what is this? Somebody signed the inside wall of the cabinet.....

Hardrock69
03-12-2005, 09:12 PM
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Here is a pic of the front......

Nitro Express
03-12-2005, 09:53 PM
I would say the cabinet is a keeper! That's deffinately Jim Marshall's signature because I have a book signed by him and it looks just like the signature in you cab. Congrats! Great find!

Hardrock69
03-12-2005, 10:08 PM
The serial numbers on the top two speakers indicate they are from 1976. THe other 25-watt speaker seems to be a 1977. The 65-watt G12 I can't figure out the number. And the date Jim Marshall signed the cabinet is 12-15-81.

So much for the dating of the cabinet haha....

Here is the full rig with my Flying V......

GAR
03-14-2005, 06:42 PM
I can't tell from the fuzzy pic, but if there's a gold piping going around the top and bottom, especially on the outside of whats' called the "skid-trays" that the heads' feet sit in, it probably is a mid-70's cab and a great find.

Original black-back 25's from the 70's.. I could suggest a few things you could do:

- ebay the worst-sounding of the 3 25's AND the 65, then replace them with celestion blue 15 watters (that's another $550 but well worth it) or a pair of G12H - 30 watters

- ebay the worst sounding of the three 25's, and find a 65 watter to match the other 65 watter for an even pair of 25/65's (I like that)

- just rewire the best sounding pair of 25's in the slant top, parallel to get 8 ohms and leave it that way.

Panamark
03-15-2005, 01:50 AM
Congrats HR69, welcome to the world of real Rock and Roll AMPS.
Looks almost like a plexi head from your blurred pic...
If so, great buy !!

Panamark
03-15-2005, 01:50 AM
So tell us all, how does it fucking sound ?? :D

Cathedral
03-15-2005, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
I had my eye on a Marshall Slant cabinet for the past 5 or 6 weeks.

I suddenly realized a couple of weeks ago, so what if it looks a little beat up (grill cloth needs replaceing, missing at least one plastic corner), $325 for a REAL Marshall cab is a steal! Then I looked at the ad online and realized the music store peeps think it is a 1976 cabinet, and it has 3 G12 25-watt greenbacks and one g12 65-watt speaker in it! ORIGINAL GREENBACK SPEAKERS! :eek:

This cabinet is worth way more than $325!!!!!! And I can go to ampparts.com or someplace and get replacement parts. I WILL be looking for a real 25-watt Greenback as well, so I can have all 4 of the original type speakers in it again.

So I put 50% down on it Friday. I am paying it off this Friday.

WOOHOO!!!

:cool:

$100.00 and the material and i'll replace that grill cloth for you to factory specs,(actually, it'll be better than factory).
I can even recover that cab for you too, just add another $100 and cover the cost of the factory vinyl for it. the corner isn't a problem either. shipping for the cab on the other hand won't be cheap, and you'll be paying that also, both ways.
(remove the speakers and reducing the weight will save major coin)

You can have a restored cab in no time for $200 in labor.

And i'm serious here, I used to do this for a living...

GAR
03-17-2005, 10:17 PM
I used to charge $149 in the recycler, materials included!

Cathedral
03-18-2005, 08:41 AM
Gar's your man then, I can't get the materials at a decent price without using Non-Marshall stuff.

I toyed with the idea of starting a restoration shop, but this fucking town is not the market for it.
Most people prefer their gear to have that used look anyway.

Nitro Express
03-18-2005, 12:58 PM
The Antique Roadshow has made people nuts over the issue of refinishing old things. People think they are going to destroy the value. On some items yes but on most old things, not really. My sister in-law has a beautiful antique piano but won't have it refinished. The original finish has darkened, cracked, there's some water damage from houseplants that were put on top of it and it looks like a piece of shit. She loves the thing and has the money to have it restored. She's scared she's going to ruin the value. Not so. I checked and keeping the old finish on a 19th century piano of it's make has no advantage. It depends on the item of furniture.

A worn and dirty Marshall cab is worth some money if it was owned by Jimi Hendrix and had Jimi Hendrix Experience stenciled on the the side of it. You don't want to touch that bugger! But on a non-historical cab, you have nothing to lose.

Hardrock69
03-20-2005, 04:02 PM
Well, firstly yes it has gold piping just outside the skid trays. Definitely mid-70s.
The date on the signature by Jim Marshall is 1981. Perhaps whomever owned it brought it back to the factory to have some work done on it (say...replacing a speaker?).

Then. let us suppose whoever owned it decided to eventually move to Gnashville. And either they, or someone else put it up for sale at the music store. For all I know this cabinet could have been owned by someone famous.

Oh well.

One serious question......they say that the best way to date Marshall cabinets is by the serial numbers of the speakers.

What about the serial number ON THE BACK OF MY CABINET??????

There is a little tag just below the SINGLE MONO input jack at the bottom of the cabinet. It says MADE IN ENGLAND ( a dead giveaway that it is a REAL Marshall cabinet LMAO!) and below that it says:

Serial No. A 09105

As for the recovering, re-grilling the cloth (LOL), I really appreciate the offer, Cathedral, but the only thing I am planning on doing is replacing the grille cloth. I can do it as well as could be expected, but of course any tips from you and Gar would be much appreciated.
And it is missing 4 out of the 8 plastic corners. Pretty much all the plastic is fairly beat up, and they all have some chipping or whatever.

Where you at, Cathedral? Ronald McDonald ;) is in Cali somewheres... ;)

As for the speakers, this cabinet is perfect.
Why?

I have a Crate 1 X 12 65-watt combo amp I bought in 1986 for $150. It sounds weak live (transistor amp with open-back cabinet), but as a recording amp it sounds great. And it has a no-name stock speaker in it.
So guess what I am going to do?

Take the 65-watt celestion out of the cabinet, put it in the Crate (WOOHOO!!!) and then find a 25-watt black back Celestion to put in the cab...preferably an original one from the mid-70s.

Shit man, finding a JHE Marshall cabinet would make me come on the spot....but then, it would have to be someplace where the owners did not know anything about rock music or amps, as any serious Marshall fan I know would recognize it right off the bat and a) never sell it, or b) take it to Sotheby's and auction it off for $50,000 or whatever.

Sorry about the blurry pictures. The only digital camera I have is a shitty one I got for free when signing up with Earthlink about 4 years ago...

I would love to own a nice one (they can be found really cheap on eBay), but right now I have some family issues that have come up that require I save my money for the next 6 months or so...hell it means I even haveta cut down drastically on my purchases of Uncle Reefer's Medicinal Herbal Remedy haha.

When I get around to doing some work on this thang, I will post some new and improved photos.

Oh, and Panamark, it sounds fucking cool. MAJOR difference between it and my Carvin cabinet. It just sounds SWEET and WARM compared to the Carvin. This has givven me a major opportunity to see how much of the Marshall sound is due to the cabinet, and I would venture to say it is a significant part of the sound.

ROTH ON, peeps!

:)

Coyote
03-20-2005, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
Here is the full rig with my Flying V......

Nice setup! So how was it playing with Stryper? :D

jackassrock
03-20-2005, 04:36 PM
"We are Soldiers, under God's command !!!!!!"

Ha, I remember those guys.
funny stuff.

Hardrock69
03-20-2005, 07:08 PM
**barf**

Katydid (cursed be her name) might want to suck their little baby pee-pees...

I started striping my pickguards in 1978, back when those guys were still learning how to tune a guitar...
That first Flying V (a 1975 Gibson) with a striped pickguard was sold to Charlie Wirz of Charlie's Guitars in Dallas in May of 1983 (it was either sell it or starve). For all I know it is floating around Dallas still

Oh, and Panamark, it is a 1979 Mark II 100-watt JMP Master Lead.

The actual inspection sticker date is something like 12/19/79

:)

GAR
03-24-2005, 11:37 PM
Im not doing any repairs or resto work till my barn is built after this weather we're having.

I lost 70 grand of gear and all I have left is a few basic amps and like 3 customers' guitar and amp stuff waiting in storage. I'll probably post a regrill how-to by this summer.

Hardrock69
03-25-2005, 10:28 AM
Right on dude!! I will look forward to it. I am not in any real hurry, so whenever you get around to it...

You LOST 70 grand in gear? :eek:

Pray tell how in the fuck did THAT happen?

Acts of God? Thievery?