PDA

View Full Version : Schmidt: Factors other than steroids leading to more HRs

ALinChainz
03-06-2005, 08:36 PM
March 6, 2005

FORT MYERS, Fla. (AP) -- Mike Schmidt refused to blame steroids for the increase in home runs in the major leagues -- or for his diminishing stature on the career homer list.

``Leave steroids out of it,'' Schmidt said Sunday. ``There's a simple explanation why the home run totals are what they are, and the guys that are hitting would agree with me -- it's park size, hard baseballs and hard bats.''

Since the Hall of Fame third baseman retired in 1989 with the seventh-most home runs (548), he has been passed by four players -- Barry Bonds (703), Mark McGwire (583), Sammy Sosa (574) and Rafael Palmeiro (551). Several others could move ahead of Schmidt in the next five years.

``Guys are passing me like I was a car on the freeway,'' said Schmidt, a spring training instructor for the Philadelphia Phillies.

Schmidt estimates the smaller ballparks and the equipment help elite power hitters add 10-12 home runs more per season than those of his generation -- or about 150 more career homers. But he's quick to note that he isn't bitter over the evolution of the longball.

``That's an honest answer. That's not a chip on the shoulder (or) an old timer whining about things,'' Schmidt said. ``We're not blaming the kids that are playing the game now. They are great hitters. They are further along fundamentally as hitters at this point in their careers than we were in the old days. Everything is better about the game now. They are bigger, stronger and they work out harder.''

Schmidt also insists these changes make it harder to compare players from different eras.

``We all know any discussion about whether Henry Aaron is a better hitter than Barry Bonds is ridiculous because of the conditions under which both played,'' he said. ``The environment in which they played is so totally different, you can't compare.''

When it comes to selecting players for the Hall of Fame, Schmidt said players need to be judged against their peers and that statistical thresholds are less crucial.

For the second straight time, the revamped Veterans Committee did not select anyone for the Hall.

``Isn't it funny? I guess we're not letting anybody in,'' said Schmidt, who voted for 283-game winner Jim Kaat and Joe Torre. ``I think it should be tough to get in. A Hall of Fame player is the best at his position for a long, long time.

``If I had my way, no one would ever get in the Hall of Fame again,'' he said.

Va Beach VH Fan
03-06-2005, 08:48 PM
Good points, no doubt about it....

But you combine those facts with 'roids, and you've got records falling all over the place...

JBall008
03-06-2005, 10:12 PM
Hit the nail on the head (although I would say that the roids certainly didn't "hurt"some of those guys' totals).

Not a big Phillies fan, but always liked Mike....

ALinChainz
03-06-2005, 11:05 PM
I seee where baseball ruled today that they will not take away any records from any players who have been named.

ALinChainz
03-06-2005, 11:06 PM
Selig: No changes to the record book

March 6, 2005

PHOENIX (AP) -- Steroids or not, baseball's record book won't be changing.

Commissioner Bud Selig said Sunday that no records will be taken away from players suspected of steroid use.

``That would be unfair to do that,'' said before a game between the Oakland Athletics and Los Angeles Angels. ``In fairness to those players, no one has been convicted of anything. And we can't turn history back.

``My job is to protect the integrity of the game. Each era, each decade has had situations where people said there were unfair advantages.''

Also Sunday, Rep. Tom Davis confirmed reports that the House Government Reform Committee is prepared to subpoena players and officials who turn down invitations to appear at a March 17 hearing on baseball's steroids policy.

Jose Canseco, Mark McGwire, Jason Giambi, Sammy Sosa, Rafael Palmeiro, Frank Thomas, Selig and union head Donald Fehr are among those who have been invited, along with baseball executive vice president Sandy Alderson and San Diego general manager Kevin Towers.

``We'll use the subpoena to get them there if that's what we have to do,'' Davis, the committee chairman, told CBS News.

redblkwht
03-06-2005, 11:59 PM
Reguardless, there should be an asterisk after any new record..
IMO