PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Trick: True American Originals.

rustoffa
03-06-2005, 10:20 PM
Mommie's alright, daddy's alright....you know the drill.

Weigh in mofos.

Have you ever cranked that "Gonna Raise Hell" song?

Have you ever heard "He's a whore?"

Good grief, that Zander could scream.....

Any thoughts?

Terry
03-06-2005, 10:31 PM
Dream Police is a classic album, no doubt.

Amazing Bun E. Carlos hasn't dropped dead from smoking. Don't think I've seen him without one in his mouth...like, ever.

Rick has one serious guitar collection.

Always digged their live version of "Aint That A Shame", as well.

LoungeMachine
03-06-2005, 10:35 PM
Got to open for them a few years back.

Bun's son did the sound check. They played the theme song to That 70's Show [Alex Chilton from Big Star co-wrote I think]

They were still getting a 20K guarantee. They rocked that night.

Too many great songs to list......

rustoffa
03-06-2005, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine

Bun's son did the sound check. They played the theme song to That 70's Show [Alex Chilton from Big Star co-wrote I think]

They were still getting a 20K guarantee. They rocked that night.

Too many great songs to list......

Man, that's fucking killer. I believe "that seventies song" was a verion of an old "Big Star" deal.

A friend of mine got to open up for them as well, way back when...I think "Next Position Please" tour.

He just goes on and on about 'em all being really down to earth fuckers....

Every time I've seen 'em, they just friggin' nail it....loud as hell.

LoungeMachine
03-06-2005, 10:53 PM
Dude,

They WERE the most down to earth, happy guys. Just loving the road after all these years.....

But they BROUGHT it. Chops were all there. Tight as a mutherfucker.

And Robin hit 'em all. They even did the Flame. I thought it would blow live, but it even rocked.

Roguesgirl
03-06-2005, 11:54 PM
Zander does the awesome Roth scream in the Budakon "Aint' that a Shame"

Friggin love that!!! That song is one of the best covers EVER!

Love the way they do "Don't Be Cruel" too.

Totally underated

Amazing talent

great thread, I'm too drunk to write anymore...love these guys though

Matt White
03-07-2005, 12:07 AM
Saw them at HARPO'S in DETROIT years ago. FUCKING AMAZING live band. Dead nuts tight, killer tone, & excellent stage show.

EbDawson
03-07-2005, 02:43 AM
Zander's voice seems to get better w/age. I saw 'em a year ago and he sounded as good as ever. Nielson's a real trip!

Panamark
03-07-2005, 08:16 AM
I like them, their popularity reached our shores. Dream police was
killer. I loved Rick Neilsens whacky guitar collection. I thought they borrowed heavily on the Beatles "While my guitar gently weeps" for "If you want my love you got it". But I think every band in the world has plaguerised the Beatles at one point.

Great Band !

Coyote
03-07-2005, 08:18 AM
In Color... What an album!

David Lee Rocks
03-07-2005, 08:49 AM
I see Cheap Trick EVERYTIME they come to town, they are fucking awesome!!, And yes, Gonna Raise Hell is my favorite!!

Denny
03-07-2005, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by rustoffa

Weigh in mofos.

Any thoughts?

Cheap Trick are fucking INCREDIBLE. I have seen them live twice. The just rock. They get up on stage and take care of Business.

Susie and I got to meet Bun E. Carlos and Rick Neilson when we went to see them last year.

Robin Zander is one the best singers on the planet.

Bun E. Carlos is a hack but fits the sound of Cheap Trick.

Tom Petersson is a GREAT Bass Player and he invented the 12 string Bass.

Rick Neilson is a fucking GENIUS. Awesome guitar player, Writes AMZING songs etc, etc, etc.

loss of fools
03-07-2005, 05:10 PM
i love cheap trick. the budakon is one the best live albums ever made.

Atomic_Rob
03-09-2005, 07:48 PM
Cheap Trick are fuckin brilliant, Live At The Budokan is masterpiece.

My Dad saw them at Hammersmith 1979 and he taped it. Theres one song near the beginning I believe its called "When we're together", its fuckin quality, but when I looked through there albums I couldnt see it. Maybe its a B-Side?

Whats the post Budokan stuff like?

rustoffa
03-09-2005, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Atomic_Rob
Cheap Trick are fuckin brilliant, Live At The Budokan is masterpiece.

My Dad saw them at Hammersmith 1979 and he taped it. Theres one song near the beginning I believe its called "When we're together", its fuckin quality, but when I looked through there albums I couldnt see it. Maybe its a B-Side?

Whats the post Budokan stuff like?

http://cheaptrick.com/discography.html

It's all good bro.

Get yourself the "Sex, America, Cheap Trick" box set and rock the fuck out.

The "Essential Cheap Trick" 2 disc deal is a good sampler as well.

Kelly
03-09-2005, 09:52 PM
first concert I went to was Cheap Trick in 79 or 80 - whenever Dream Police came out. they were fuckin' awesome. Haven't really listened to them lately but love the old stuff.

He's a Whore, Surrender etc, great songs. Yeah some very obvious stealing from the Beatles sometimes, but a great band.

Atomic_Rob
03-10-2005, 08:50 PM
Cheers for the link Rustoffa. I only have live at the Budokan, can you recommend some albums to pick up?

The first 4 studio albums are already on the list, any other personal favourites? Even though you said the Essential and the Box set, wasn't sure if there were any other studio gems.

rustoffa
03-10-2005, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by Atomic_Rob
Cheers for the link Rustoffa. I only have live at the Budokan, can you recommend some albums to pick up?

The first 4 studio albums are already on the list, any other personal favourites?

People bash "The Doctor"...it's not that bad.

My favorite is the first record currently.

The self-titled release from '97 got absolutely no attention and is pretty fucking good.

Like I said, just get that box set...the liner notes are very informative...George Martin is quoted in there regarding working with 'em. I guess that explains the whole beatles dealio.

It's really comprehensive and you can just pick which album you want to grab next based on whatever.

The "Silver" DVD is killer...all kinds of fuckheads show up to play with 'em. Slash walks out and promptly breaks some strings on his geetar.

Someone hands him another one, and after the song, Nielsen goes, "Slash broke some strings pretty quick there, luckily I have a few spares."
:D

Roguesgirl
03-10-2005, 09:56 PM
I was just listening to "I Want You to Want Me". Such a simple little tune, but also so very cool. :cool:

LoungeMachine
03-10-2005, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by Roguesgirl
I was just listening to "I Want You to Want Me". Such a simple little tune, but also so very cool. :cool:

So many of the GREATEST Rock songs are the simple ones

3 Chords and The Truth, baby:D

C-F-G

A-D-E

G-D-C

And so forth..........:cool:

academic punk
03-10-2005, 10:57 PM
Don't forget C - Am - F - G!

Where would Stand By Me, Every Breath You Take, Earth Angel and every other rock ballad be without that li'l baby?

rucalobe
03-10-2005, 11:08 PM
Cheap Trick are truly rock icons that should also be included in the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame. As a matter of fact, Van Halen and Cheap Trick are the two most underrated American rock bands in history. To this day I cannot understand why is is that Aerosmith made it to the Rock Hall while Van Halen (classic VH of course!) and Cheap Trick have been totally ignored by the Rock Hall judges. Don't get me wrong, Aerosmith is great, but VH and Cheap Trick should've been installed in the Rock Hall way before Aerosmith, IMHO [;-D]

Soul Reaper
03-13-2005, 07:07 AM
I feel sorry for those roadies:

http://www.hostwerks.com/~dave/images/rn01.jpg

Soul Reaper
03-13-2005, 09:01 AM
http://www.pbgadget.com/images/europe/ams-rn5~c.jpg

Coyote
06-06-2006, 12:20 AM
BUMP!

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nbi5OcgW_UI"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nbi5OcgW_UI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Coyote
06-06-2006, 12:21 AM
"You didn't know what you were looking for..."

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eagxyewNA2w"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eagxyewNA2w" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Coyote
06-06-2006, 12:21 AM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ysBBSEFAxh8"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ysBBSEFAxh8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Coyote
06-06-2006, 12:23 AM
From the cult movie "Rock And Rule":

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UxlxF7cag5E"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UxlxF7cag5E" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

DrMaddVibe
06-06-2006, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine

That plate spinning act sucked!

"Got to open"....baw-hahahahahahaha!!!!

The_KiD
06-06-2006, 07:50 AM
Always enjoyed and go see them everytime they come to town. They actually have a new album today which www.allmusic.com could not get enough of... Need to check it out..

Kid

Douglas T.
06-06-2006, 08:45 AM
:D

Roy Munson
06-13-2006, 12:20 PM
Yes, indeed...

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-9/53225/nielsen.jpg

Matt White
06-14-2006, 10:38 PM
I saw 'em over 10 years ago at HARPO'S in DETROIT....

KICK ASS live band.....

STELLAR PERFORMANCE

sadaist
06-14-2006, 10:51 PM
Best live band ever! Period.

I saw them 7-8 years ago at a club called Canes on the boardwalk in Mission Beach/San Diego. They come out straight with I Want You To Want Me...BAM. Like a slap in the face. No buildup, no lights out while guitars intro, nothing. Straight with the 1st verse. Then Surrender, then Dream Police. Talk about a wicked 3-punch combination. They were playing as if their lives depended on it and every record exec known to man was there. Unreal.

Douglas T.
06-14-2006, 10:53 PM
It hurts to think back to the first time I saw them ... that was before I graduated high school in '81! Man I'm getting old! ...I refuse!

DrMaddVibe
06-15-2006, 06:36 AM
I bought "Rockford" and all I have to say is "WOW"!

Buy it...you won't be disappointed.

The_KiD
06-15-2006, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
I bought "Rockford" and all I have to say is "WOW"!

Buy it...you won't be disappointed.

I agree completely.. Great power pop rock at it's best...

KiD

DeadOrAlive
06-17-2006, 01:24 AM
One of my personal favorite bands. Rick Neilson is an incredibly underrated guitarist.

Susie Q
06-18-2006, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by rustoffa

Weigh in mofos.

Any thoughts?

I LOVE THEM just as much as I do CVH!!

The first album is just as good as Van Halen's first album.

Zander has IMPECCABLE vocal cords.

I see them just about every time they roll into town. I met Bun E. and Rick. Great down to earth people they are. Zander looks like he never ages.

One of the favorites off the first album for me is: Daddy should have stayed in high school.

Mr. Vengeance
06-18-2006, 11:14 AM
Every review of the new album has been raves.

They opened for Alice Copper in Toronto last summer and sounded great!

The_KiD
06-18-2006, 06:29 PM
I will back up the reviews on their new album"Rockford". It gets better every listen...

KiD

rucalobe
06-18-2006, 07:08 PM
Cheap Trick should've been in the Rock Hall by now...just goes to show you that the Rock Hall people have no clue about music.

PumpedUpMidget
06-18-2006, 07:35 PM
Gonna Raise Hell--Need I say more?

rustoffa
06-18-2006, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
They opened for Alice Copper in Toronto last summer and sounded great!

Same thing here!
http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

Mr. Vengeance
06-23-2006, 07:18 PM
I bought Rockland the other day and can confirm it is excellent!

Mr Walker
01-23-2012, 01:29 PM
Happy Birthday Mr. Robin Fucking Zander!

Mr Walker
01-23-2012, 01:35 PM
Great Song off their latest... 'The Latest'

Mr Walker
01-23-2012, 01:49 PM
Downed

hambon4lif
01-23-2012, 03:43 PM
Happy Birthday Mr. Robin Fucking Zander!I caught Hollands band last weekend. Everybody raised their glass and made a toast to her dad, then her band did an entire set of Cheap Trick classics that rocked the fucking walls off the joint. Totally badass!

Here's a clip from Silver of the two of them onstage together, with Ricks son Daxx behind the kit.
Happy Birthday Z!!