PDA

View Full Version : Kerry letters aided embattled contractor

lucky wilbury
02-19-2004, 02:50 AM
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/nation/2409974

Kerry letters aided embattled contractor
Los Angeles Times

WASHINGTON -- U.S. Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., sent 28 letters in behalf of a San Diego defense contractor who pleaded guilty last week to illegally funneling campaign contributions to the Massachusetts senator and four other congressmen.

Members of Congress often write letters supporting constituent businesses and favored projects. But as Democratic presidential front-runner, Kerry has promoted himself as one who has never been beholden to campaign contributors.

From 1996 through 1998, Kerry participated in a letter-writing campaign to free up federal funds for a missile system that defense contractor Parthasarathi "Bob" Majumder was trying to build for U.S. warplanes.

Kerry's letters were sent to fellow members of Congress -- and to the Pentagon -- while Majumder and his employees at Science and Applied Technology, Inc. were donating money to the senator, court records show.

During the three-year period, Kerry received about $25,000 from Majumder and his employees, according to Dwight L. Morris and Associates, which tracks campaign donations.

Documents say the contractor told his employees they needed to make political contributions for him to gain influence with members of Congress. He then reimbursed them with proceeds from government contracts.

Federal prosecutors initially determined that $13,000 of the donations were illegally reimbursed, but they now say that nearly all of the money was tainted. They said there was no evidence Kerry would have known that.

Asked what he did to repay the money, Kerry's campaign said Wednesday he had donated $13,000 to charity two days before the guilty plea. Kerry's campaign said Kerry's actions had nothing to do with the campaign contributions. One of the subcontractors working on the guided missile project, Militech, was based in Northampton, Mass.

FORD
02-19-2004, 10:16 AM
Wow, there's a shocker :rolleyes:

John Ashcroft
02-19-2004, 10:45 AM
I still want to know how he's gonna pay off that 2nd mortgage on his current salary...

FORD
02-19-2004, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by John Ashcroft
I still want to know how he's gonna pay off that 2nd mortgage on his current salary...

I believe the Ketchup Queen already took care of that.

lucky wilbury
02-19-2004, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by FORD
I believe the Ketchup Queen already took care of that.

will she be using the millions she got when her company moved offshore?

FORD
02-19-2004, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by lucky wilbury
will she be using the millions she got when her company moved offshore?

They don't even make fucking Heinz Ketchup in America anymore?? :mad:

Seshmeister
02-19-2004, 07:43 PM
That shit they pass off as ketchup at KFC is a fucking disgrace.

Sorry I guess we're getting a tad off topic here...:)

Dr. Love
02-19-2004, 07:47 PM
You know, I never thought I'd see the day when FORD agrees with anyone else in this forum.

Sad days.

lucky wilbury
02-19-2004, 10:47 PM
They don't even make fucking Heinz Ketchup in America anymore?? :mad:

no they make it here. the headquaters went offshore. tell that to your buddys at du:D

FORD
02-19-2004, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by lucky wilbury
no they make it here. the headquaters went offshore. tell that to your buddys at du:D

Got a link for this? The Judasbots and the pro-DLC admins at DU will kill the thread unless the story's documented.

lucky wilbury
02-20-2004, 01:06 AM
Got a link for this? The Judasbots and the pro-DLC admins at DU will kill the thread unless the story's documented.

give me some time to lock down heinz-kerrys profits. it was on the ap wire a few weeks ago so it'll be hard to track down. but heres some stuff on ole johnny boys doing:

this has some on it http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4212901

http://www.companyreports.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=105&STORY=/www/story/02-08-2004/0002105167
NEW YORK, Feb. 8 /PRNewswire/ -- GOP "oppo" teams are digging through
pile of votes and position papers Sen. John Kerry has accumulated in 20 years
of seeking and holding a Senate seat and will undoubtedly focus on family
financial transactions. One such deal involves the conversion and sale in 2002
of up to a million dollars of stock in Ingersoll-Rand. It was a profitable
sale-netting from $100,000 to $200,000 of a company whose balance sheet was
boosted by its decision to move its headquarters offshore to Bermuda. Yet one
of Kerry's best applause lines is his pledge to end tax breaks for what he
calls "Benedict Arnold" firms that move offshore to places such as Bermuda.

BigBadBrian
02-20-2004, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
That shit they pass off as ketchup at KFC is a fucking disgrace.

Sorry I guess we're getting a tad off topic here...:)

I wish the UK would export a good fish and chips restaurant franchise here. I'm serious. :gulp:

BigBadBrian
02-20-2004, 01:04 PM
Wow, there's a shocker :rolleyes:

I gotta admit though, I don't buy anything but Heinz ketchup. Everything else is inferior.

Seshmeister
02-20-2004, 01:06 PM
Heinz is the only option for ketchup or tomato soup!

BigBadBrian
02-20-2004, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
Heinz is the only option for ketchup or tomato soup!

Yeah, I learned in a marketing class that Heinz is known for canned soups in the UK while it is Campbells here in the US. :cool: