PDA

View Full Version : Do Marshall amps make you horny?

Nitro Express
03-07-2005, 02:17 PM
The sound of a good Marshall makes me horny. Kinda like a chick, you plug in, pump it hard, and listen to the sweet moan. No wonder Hendrix humped his Marshall stacks.

BrownSound1
03-07-2005, 06:11 PM
I dunno if I'd say horny, but I do love 'em. I remember the first time I played through a Marshall though...it was kind of like the first time I got to play with a girl's tits. :D

jojo2371
03-07-2005, 06:36 PM
lmao thats exactley what it felt like !!!!!!!

Nitro Express
03-07-2005, 06:46 PM
Shit, after playing through a Peavey Bandit and sinking the ol plug into a real Marshall, it's like going from an inflatable doll to a real woman.

DrMaddVibe
03-07-2005, 06:47 PM
Ampeg baby!

That and Trace Elliot!

UGS
03-07-2005, 09:41 PM
Here's a twist on an old Guiness quote to have it relate to this. . .

"To compare a Marshall to a guitar amp is to compare sex to playing with one's self"

I love the beauty of a fully cranked Marshall when you've let it warm up for an hour or so, and then crank out a solo through a neck position humbucker.

Nitro Express
03-07-2005, 11:29 PM
Exactly! Marshalls like a some forplay before they orgasm well. You just can't stick it in, turn it on and expect full brillance. Got to tweak the knobs and let the box warm up, then you losen up and start pumping and hear the sweat orgasm of the amp.

Nitro Express
03-07-2005, 11:32 PM
Hendrix actually wrote a song called Manic Depression. If you listen to the intro of that song on the Live at Winterland CD, Jimi explains the song is about a dude who wants to fuck his music but can't. Marshalls made Jimi so horny he humped his stacks so hard his roadies had to hold them up.

Hardrock69
03-08-2005, 12:35 AM
Do Marshall amps make you horny?

That is usually a question I ask chicks in rock bars.....

but in the meantime this is my dream right here....

Cindy Crawford getting high in front of a Marshall Stack and a poster of Jimi!

And of course, after this she gives me a hit off that joint, drops to her knees and gobbles the Kromium Kob!!!

WOOT!

:D

Nitro Express
03-08-2005, 04:21 AM
Holly hell! Everything I've been talking about with Cindy Crawford thrown in. BOING! You aren't going to get that kind of ass from a Sammy Hagar Red Voodoo Crate amp that's for sure.

Hardrock69
03-08-2005, 11:34 AM
When only the best will do....

Jimi Hendrix
Marshall Amps
Cambodian Red
Cindy Crawford

Panamark
03-09-2005, 03:18 AM
YES THEY DO !

-But only in certain company ;)

Hey Nitro I went from a Peavey Bandit to a Marshall too !!
You remember that scene from Back to the Future II (I think ?)
when Michael J Fox hits that chord and gets blown away.
Thats how I remember my first experience when I got
my first Marshall home, I was living with my folks at the
time. I just cranked it up, started to get excited as I turned
the volume pot up on my axe to hear the power of the "HUM"
Then I just smashed a first posistion A chord and
the whole house shook. It was great !!

Mum freaked out. I think she regretted ever discouraging me
from becoming a drummer... hehhehehhe

Cathedral
03-09-2005, 09:04 AM
WARNING: When humping a Marshall, BEWARE of the transformer.

Talk about a perm, Whoa!

I prefer Soldano's above all else.

BrownSound1
03-09-2005, 05:48 PM
A Soldano is just a Marshall with a boob job. ;)

Nitro Express
03-10-2005, 02:19 AM
LOL! There's some nice amps but everyone that ever played through a Marshall and then went to something else never imroved their sound. Joe Satriani sounded better through a Marshall than his new signature Peavey. Eddie sounded better through a Marshall than a 5150.

Name one player who ever improved their sound by going away from a Marshall.

Not only could the transformer get you, those hot EL-34 tubes could burn your dick.

Panamark
03-10-2005, 05:45 AM
My Slanted CAB is wearing a sexy silver dress with gold trim at the moment.. :p

Oh, and that ohm selector on the back of the head.....

Excuse me, I need to take a cold shower now...

Hardrock69
03-10-2005, 10:06 AM
What the fuck? Where did my Cindy Crawford pic go? I did not edit it out!!!!

Goddammit.....it musta been lost in the database crash.....

Looks like I will haveta upload it again when I get home tonight....

Cathedral
03-10-2005, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by BrownSound1

Hey, boob jobs are ok in my book if done conservatively. :)

Seshmeister
03-10-2005, 07:15 PM
I'd rather have sex with Panamark than use a Peavey Bandit.

Worst amps in the world.

It's the hope that if you twiddle the 20 knobs that eventually you will get a good sound that makes them so fustrating.

A shit sounding amp is one thing but with a Peavey you have so many options you think that one of these fucking settings must make it not sound shit but it's impossible.

Sorry end of rant.

It's just that most of the rehearsal rooms here had Peavey Bandits and I hate them.

Cheers!

:gulp:

Hardrock69
03-10-2005, 11:33 PM
Uhhh...yoo mean SLEEVEY amps?

Hardrock69
03-11-2005, 12:13 AM
Ok peeps here is CINDY THE MAGNIFICENT!!!!

Awww....to heck with the GURRRLLLL.....

I WANT THE MARSHALL STACK, THE POSTER OF JIMI AND THE WEED MAAAAAAN....

Hardrock69
03-11-2005, 12:24 AM
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!! IT WORKED!!!!!

Gee I hope it stays there for awhile!!!!

Okay now Cindy...come over here and kneel......

Nitro Express
03-11-2005, 01:10 AM
The only amp with a lot of knobs worth having is a Marshall Tripple Super Lead.

My 1987 reissue sounds good nomatter where the knobs are set, just got to tweak the EQ to dial in the sweet spots but a two year old can fuck with the knobs and it still has a good base sound.

Mr. Spock could fiddle with a Peavey for a month and not find anything good.

Nitro Express
03-11-2005, 01:12 AM
I kinda found out the Peavey EVH 5150 II was basically a large and loud Peavey Bandit. Not even Eddie sounded good playing that thing. Buzzy, hissy, and just cold hard distortion. No Marshall warmth whatsoever. A Marshall makes me hard and horny, Peavey makes my dick react like it's been dunked in ice cold water.

Panamark
03-11-2005, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by Seshmeister

Crikies !! the odds are stacked against me !! :eek:

Nitro Express
03-11-2005, 03:57 PM
LOL! Marshall=Van Halen; Peavey=Van Hagar. It all comes down to two simple equations doesn't it? LOL!

Hardrock69
03-11-2005, 04:19 PM
NO SHIT!!!

:)

Coyote
03-11-2005, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
The sound of a good Marshall makes me horny. Kinda like a chick, you plug in, pump it hard, and listen to the sweet moan. No wonder Hendrix humped his Marshall stacks.

Are we talkin' amps (as in heads) or full stacks?

BrownSound1
03-12-2005, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by Coyote
Are we talkin' amps (as in heads) or full stacks?

Does it really matter? ;)

Nitro Express
03-12-2005, 05:25 AM
Stacks, combos, hell even the little amp powered by the 9 volt battery. Of course the more classic the better. Plexi heads, Bluesbreakers, JCM 800's.

BrownSound1
03-12-2005, 02:10 PM
Now I will admit that I really don't care for Marshall's combo amps..they just sound too "bleh".

Coyote
03-12-2005, 08:46 PM
Does it really matter? ;)

Well, no... :D

But to answer the original question: After playing my half-stack for, say, two hours straight (bathroom and cigarette breaks included), I certainly feel like squeezin' some representative of the opposite sex.

That Marshall/Behringer half-stack o' mine has the balls to make me do that, apparently... :cool:

Nitro Express
03-12-2005, 09:58 PM
I don't like combos either. I don't own any combos other than some little shit practice amps. Just get a 50 watt head and power a 1x12 or 2x12 cabinet instead.

BrownSound1
03-13-2005, 02:30 AM
I'm thinking about getting a 50 watt head....just because it'll distort at a bit lower volume. I'm sure my neighbors would like it better...but then again, perhaps I should invest in a Hotplate.

Panamark
03-14-2005, 03:32 AM
Fuck the neighbours ! :D

My old rhythm guitarist had a 50 watt JCM 800 and we never had
volume problems playing with a drum kit behind us...

In fact I never had a problem at all. COS I COULD BE LOUDER THAN
ALL OF THEM !! OH YES THE POWER !! LOL

Panamark
03-14-2005, 03:32 AM
(I had the 100watt head)

Hardrock69
03-14-2005, 01:04 PM
I had a 50-watt JCM800 2 X 12 combo in the mid-80s. It sounded really good, but due to the open back cabinet, it did not really have the balls that I wanted in a live setting.

However, I took it into the studio with me, and after checking out the recording studio's entire lineup of amps, I found my combo sounded better than any of them (Marshall, Hiwatt & Laney half-stacks, some Fender and other combo amps).

Then I sold it cause I needed money.

Shit. I wish I had never done that. Oh well.l

Nitro Express
03-14-2005, 01:44 PM
I like the Carvin Steve Vai Legacy 2x12 cabinet. It gives you the option to open the back panel or close it to get different sounds.

100 watt amps aren't that much louder than 50 watt amps. Some people think the 100 amps sound a little tighter. I like 50 watt amps myself. They are cheaper to retube, still loud as hell and they tend to distort a little earlier. You really don't need a hotplate, just get a good peddle to push it into distortion faster. I like the DOD 250 Overdrive for this purpose.

BrownSound1
03-14-2005, 06:07 PM
You know what kind of sucks is...when you go into a studio, they usually cut the bottom end out of your guitar...like 140 Khz and below. Of course you can't really tell their missing when the band comes in, because those goddamn bassists and drummers are hogging everything up down there. ;)

To me there is nothing like the "chug" of a 4x12 cab. Too bad it gets lost in the mix most of the time.

GAR
03-14-2005, 06:27 PM
"I am sold not yet and when he returns splitting the air with noise."

http://www.cs.unm.edu/~kshanti/greenefiles/thunderbunny.jpg

(Random Sentence Generator Source : William Shakespeare, Complete Tragedies)

SweetSecrets
03-14-2005, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by Panamark

Excuse me, I need to take a cold shower now...

Should I be jealous?

SweetSecrets
03-14-2005, 07:38 PM

Well, I'd have to agree with you. ;)

SweetSecrets
03-14-2005, 07:46 PM
Gosh, this thread is a turn on! Marshalls are the best....but I must admit that it would be really cool for all the cool rocker boys out there to have a Marshall and a girl humming simultaneously! What do you think the odds of that occuring in your life are, Panamark? Have they happened already? ;) Or better yet...what if the girl was actually plugged into the Marshall rocking on her own Les Paul?

Rock and Roll! I love you Mark! hehe ;) Plug me in!

hehehe

GAR
03-14-2005, 10:38 PM
You could sit on between 2 of my Marshalls with your legs up against one and your back to the other, and we'll see how tolerable my downstrokes are on 10.

That should be "hummin'"

Nitro Express
03-15-2005, 03:27 AM
You could take off the grill cloth and glue a jelly dildo to one of the speaker cones and as the speaker bounces back and forth it thrust the dildo in and out. A Marshall fucking machine! You can play your guitar and give her multiple orgasms.

SweetSecrets
03-15-2005, 09:39 PM
That was in reference to Panamark only guys! Sorry.

Panamark
03-16-2005, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by GAR
You could sit on between 2 of my Marshalls with your legs up against one and your back to the other, and we'll see how tolerable my downstrokes are on 10.

That should be "hummin'"

"You" will be seeing nothing ! ;)

Enjoy your downstrokes on 10 buddy....

Seshmeister
03-16-2005, 07:55 AM
Now I will admit that I really don't care for Marshall's combo amps..they just sound too "bleh".

Bleh?:)

I have a ValveState combo and I know what you mean - the buzzy thing...:)

Last year I bought one of the new(ish) DLS401 things though and I think it's excellent, best combo I've ever heard.

It's a lot cheaper than a stack, great tones and loud enough to cut over live drums.

All in all the best choice for the 30 something, fuck around in the garage demographic...:)

Cheers!

Panamark
03-16-2005, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by SweetSecrets
Gosh, this thread is a turn on! Marshalls are the best....but I must admit that it would be really cool for all the cool rocker boys out there to have a Marshall and a girl humming simultaneously! What do you think the odds of that occuring in your life are, Panamark? Have they happened already? ;) Or better yet...what if the girl was actually plugged into the Marshall rocking on her own Les Paul?

Rock and Roll! I love you Mark! hehe ;) Plug me in!

hehehe

I love you too Mary F. I think the odds of that happening in my
life are extremely good :) (But you know that already !)
If this girl was rocking through her Marshall with a Les Paul,
well then my life is complete! Ive been playing your Les Paul
through your JCM 800 by the way, its here waiting for you.
See ya in a few days ;)

You Rock Babe !

Cathedral
03-16-2005, 11:10 AM
The only combos i'm interested in are the #2 combos on the Wendy's menu.

As for the 'hummin while you work' comments...it has happened a couple times, that's why i used to love groupies who visit rehearsals.

The only thing missing was the Marshall. :)
I had a Crate solid state half stack at the time, total piece of shite.

Seshmeister
03-16-2005, 11:13 AM
Crate=Not Grate!

Better than Peavy though...:)

Seshmeister
03-16-2005, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Cathedral
The only combos i'm interested in are the #2 combos on the Wendy's menu.

Ooof!

http://www.wendys.com/food/images/nutrition/product/2.jpg

With fries and a medium coke combo thats 1320 calories and 63g of fat!

Holy shit...

Cheers!

Cathedral
03-16-2005, 11:30 AM
No argument there, except on the Peavey thing, lol.
But i don't consider my amp a Peavey anymore. You can't buy my amp at the music store.
Only one that looks like it. :)

If it's any consolation, it was modded by a Marshall Maniac, though it sounds way more like a Soldano than a Marshall or stock 5150.

I like it.

Cathedral
03-16-2005, 11:32 AM
Ooof!

http://www.wendys.com/food/images/nutrition/product/2.jpg

With fries and a medium coke combo thats 1320 calories and 63g of fat!

Holy shit...

Cheers!

You don't want to eat that shit, man. fast food will kill you faster than they serve it up.

Seshmeister
03-16-2005, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Cathedral
No argument there, except on the Peavey thing, lol.
But i don't consider my amp a Peavey anymore. You can't buy my amp at the music store.
Only one that looks like it. :)

If it's any consolation, it was modded by a Marshall Maniac, though it sounds way more like a Soldano than a Marshall or stock 5150.

I like it.

I've never played a 5150 I was just continuing my ongoing rant about Bandits etc etc.:)

GAR
03-16-2005, 02:07 PM
Hendrix hated Peaveys.

Nitro Express
03-16-2005, 02:07 PM
I don't eat at Wendy's, I eat Wendy. God I love her hot and juicey!

Nitro Express
03-16-2005, 02:09 PM
No tone from a Peavey ever made my dick hard. Not even EVH's 5150. That amp had a powerful sound but was not musical. A good amp should sound like a hot ass looks like. A 5150 doesn't paint the nice round curves in the air like a Marshall does.

Hardrock69
03-16-2005, 05:55 PM
No shit. After firing up that fucking Marshall cabinet I got last Friday, I noticed a serious difference between it and the Carvin cab I had.

REALLY sweet sounding. Rich. DROOLABLE EVEN!!!!

Marshalls rule!!!

BrownSound1
03-16-2005, 06:08 PM
I actually liked the old Peavey VTM 120, but that's about it. LOL The 5150 was too fuzzy and noisy, but a definite improvement for the company. I absolutely hate their guitars....

Nitro Express
03-16-2005, 10:22 PM
I don't know what it is about Marshall cabs but they do get that special sound. Carvin and a lot of companies make good cabs but they just don't get the Marshall sound. I always tell people the spend the extra money and get a real Marshall cabinet if they like the Marshall sound.

I didn't mean to shit all over Peavey, the Wolgangs were pretty good guitars but overpriced for what they were and the classic tweed line of amps they make are kind of cool. I had a Classic 30 and it was a pretty good amp but the box it was in was made of cheap fiber board. If that amp was a Marshall, it would have been finger jointed Baltic Birch plywood. That's always the thing with Peavey, you are going to find something cheap or wrong on even a good Peavey product. The Floyd Rose trems on the Wolfgangs were pure shit. You shouldn't have to order a real Floyd to replace the original equipment on a $1,600 guitar. The castors and tolex covering on the 5150 speaker cabinets were shit too. The castors on my cab broke. Jim Marshall has followed a time proven formula for making good speakers and amps. They are made to go on the road and be dragged around. Peavey shit breaks. Oh it might just be the little wheels on the speaker but for a cab that costs over $500, they should be better. Peavey is always cutting corners somewhere.

Nitro Express
03-16-2005, 10:25 PM
Oh hell, all this thinking about Peavey made my dick shrivel up. If Santa Clause left me a bunch of Peavey gear on Christmas morning I would be wondering what in the hell did I do wrong.

When I think Marshall, I think of some hot chick bent over a 4x12 cabinet with the words "Plug In!" below.

manwiththedogs
03-17-2005, 12:24 PM
Just got an Ampeg V-4BH after waiting on backorder fer almost a month.
Plugged a Jazz bass and a couple hartke cabs into it, cranked it up, and I gotta admit, I got a lil` wood...lol

Nitro Express
03-17-2005, 01:09 PM
If you don't get some wood, that means the equipment is no good.

Hardrock69
03-17-2005, 04:44 PM
Dude...Ampeg is the shit for bass!

I would love to have an SVT head and a pair of 4 X 10 cabs....oh and I suppose a cab with an 18 in it as well.

Back in 1988, a band I was in opened for Kings X on their very first tour. The venue was an old theater, and the room was up on the second floor, so we had to haul all our gear up a couple of flights of stairs.

I helped the Kings X guys haul their stuff up, including FOUR Ampeg rigs with 8 X 10 cabinets for Doug Pinnick.

He had the bass sound from GOD that night!

BrownSound1
03-17-2005, 04:58 PM
Ampegs are the shit for basses, that is no lie.

Seshmeister
03-17-2005, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Panamark

Had one fall out the back of an 1972 50 Watt head on the way to a gig. Someone(drummer) stuck it back in the wrong setting and blew a speaker...

Nitro Express
03-17-2005, 11:11 PM
I love Ampeg shit as well. Michael Anthony always got a good tone with his old Ampeg rigs. I love the sound he was getting on Light Up The Sky on VHII. You know that picture of VH in Sunset Sound were there are beer cans and booze bottles all over the place. Eddie has a zillion old filthy Marshall cab and Mike is awash in SVT heads and Ampeg cabinets. Roth has a broken foot and a cane.

Panamark
03-20-2005, 04:38 AM
Had one fall out the back of an 1972 50 Watt head on the way to a gig. Someone(drummer) stuck it back in the wrong setting and blew a speaker...

You let a drummer touch your Marshall ???

You must haved missed lesson one :D

Panamark
12-06-2009, 06:49 AM
Whos the necromancer running around ???

All I can say is, the more things change the more they stay the
same... You have to double check the dates to see if you were
not drunk as normal and had just posted this yesterday !!!

Coyote
12-06-2009, 07:32 AM

A Laney is Marshalls hot sister... :tongue0011:

ThrillsNSpills
12-06-2009, 08:05 AM
conversely playing through a Peavey Bandit is like getting hand with a dime store hooker with Lee press ons.

Ampeg IS the shit for bass!

we're all tone whores inside

VanHalenFan5150
12-06-2009, 10:11 AM
I dunno if I'd say horny, but I do love 'em. I remember the first time I played through a Marshall though...it was kind of like the first time I got to play with a girl's tits. :D

Yeah man... Haha...

I played through a JVM 50W all tube British-made Marshall combo.. It was undescribable.

I was playing on a nice Ibanez RGX guitar... 24 frets, double locking Edge Pro tremolo... I just played it to town. I almost melted the eyebrows off of the losers by the door. Started playing Eruption, everyone in the store pulled an "oh shit." It was SO much fun! My dad says when I turn 21 my gift will be a Nice Marshall JCM Half-stack... I want a JCM900 Super Lead...

GAR
12-06-2009, 12:40 PM
In Los Angeles JCM 100 watt heads are sometimes had for $650-800 used. Why wait till you're 21?

jhale667
12-06-2009, 01:57 PM
JCM8-or-900s are OK, but the only Marshalls I've ever heard that were truly wood-inducing have been Plexis - standard and modified. Something about 'em.

Said it before but the best-sounding one I've ever heard up close and played through was Doug Aldrich's...holy crap, man! :eek: It had gain almost in the Boogie region, but still an overall character that was undeniably Marshall. I want one. Tried to talk him out of that one (said he had like 4) but he wasn't hearing it...:D

It blew its transformer that night, and he was like "Yeah I have to have it rebuilt about every six months, but it's WORTH IT." I agree! :killer:

I still have the schematic of his rig I did around here somewhere...

VanHalenFan5150
12-06-2009, 02:10 PM
I recently got a very nice amp, which will keep me at it for a while until I buy another one.

jackassrock
12-07-2009, 10:46 AM
I played an Ibanez RG570 through Mosfet 100 for a couple years before I got my first set dresser job on a film. When it was all over I picked up my 800 for five hundred dollars, coupled with my first Gibson LP and I never fucking looked back. The difference (as you all can imagine) was so huge that I sold the dusty old road worn Mosfet for 75 bucks to the first idiot that came by.

Funny story. When I was on the road with the Murder Junkies I would usually bring my 6101 combo (because it was small and still pushed 100 watts). There was a clause from the old days with GG that a backline was to be supplied for every show (In case there was a need for a hasty retreat) but the amps were usually provided by the opening band and were complete crap 90% of the time. So I'd bring my Marshall, and it would invariably break down, then I'd be forced to use whatever was available until we got back to Cincinnati and I could either see my amp guy for a repair, or grab my JCM800. One time we were one show away from my home, playing in Columbus, and I saw the opening band's guitarist had a Marshall head. Good, I thought, maybe I won't sound like complete crap tonight.

WRONG !

I got up there to plug in and, lo and behold, it was my old Mosfet. The very same one I had sold about 7 years prior, complete with red paint splatter from an art show gig back in 97 and burned tolex on top from candles that burned all the way down to the nub. No mistake, it was the one. Guess what, it still sucked complete ass !

Moral= Not every Marshall is a good amp.

jhale667
12-07-2009, 12:28 PM
Moral= Not every Marshall is a good amp.

So true. Had to play through a solid-state half-stack at the gig I did in my hometown last summer, and it was awful...it's amazing they sell any of them at all...would be better used as a doorstop...:hee:

Hardrock69
12-07-2009, 03:24 PM
Saw Doug A just a few months back with Whitesnake. Always a pleasure to watch him shred.

Total badass.

Not long ago I got the IK Multimedia Ampeg plugin. Talk about the sound of God's Bass Rig!

And just last night, I realized that 4 1/2 years ago when I got my $300 Marshall cab, the pics I took were with a shit digital camera I got for free when signing up for an Earthlink internet access trial years ago, and are appropriately shitty. I realized this when I was trying to find the date codes for the Celestions I have in it (I could swear I wrote them down somewhere), and I could not find them. I do remember that in the cab are 3 G12M 16 ohm 75 hz black backs from the mid-70s (I think 1975), and a single 65-watt Celestion in the lower right-hand corner. That speaker sounds the best of all 4...the black backs sound 'darker'.

So...this evening when I go home, I am going to take the back off and take some proper images with my Nikon. The cab itself is from about 1975-1976 or so. It had the salt and pepper basket-weave grill cloth originally.

Here is an image I found on the net....pretty much just like mine:

http://i48.tinypic.com/m7civ.jpg

One bonus I found when I got it home that first day....I found it was signed on the inside by Jim Marshall, and dated 1981 I think.

Too bad they have fuck all records on their cabs...I would love to know who originally owned it, as it seems to me if it is a mid-70s cab, and it has a 1981 replacement speaker in it, with Jim's signature from that same year, that someone had the factory replace a speaker in it.

Will post pics later tonight.

Shut the fuck up Gar. You can't even post a SINGLE FUCKING IMAGE, LOSER.
:tongue0011::fufu::tongue0011::fufu::tongue0011::f ufu:

Hardrock69
12-07-2009, 05:20 PM
For those of you who can't recall, and to correct a statement made above, the grill cloth shown above was the original grill cloth. When I bought it, it had some replacement grill cloth that was all torn up, and looked like shit to begin with.

So, I ordered some black grill cloth and did my first ever Marshall cabinet grill cloth replacement (just cause I prefer the look of black cloth).

The result can be seen here:

http://i39.tinypic.com/2q8cxn4.jpg

ZahZoo
12-07-2009, 05:33 PM
Timeless thread...

Igosplut
12-07-2009, 07:44 PM
For those of you who can't recall, and to correct a statement made above, the grill cloth shown above was the original grill cloth. When I bought it, it had some replacement grill cloth that was all torn up, and looked like shit to begin with.

So, I ordered some black grill cloth and did my first ever Marshall cabinet grill cloth replacement (just cause I prefer the look of black cloth).

The result can be seen here:

http://i39.tinypic.com/2q8cxn4.jpg

Wow it that all your stuff man? Looks great..

GAR
12-07-2009, 10:43 PM
One time we were one show away from my home, playing in Columbus, and I saw the opening band's guitarist had a Marshall head. Good, I thought, maybe I won't sound like complete crap tonight.

WRONG !

I got up there to plug in and, lo and behold, it was my old Mosfet. The very same one I had sold about 7 years prior, complete with red paint splatter from an art show gig back in 97 and burned tolex on top from candles that burned all the way down to the nub.

Best. Bio-tale. Ever.

GAR
12-07-2009, 10:46 PM
H69: They stopped doing that "100" logo in the upper corner by 1973.

Dope.

Hardrock69
12-08-2009, 01:56 AM
So fucking what, LOSER? When the fuck did I EVER say there was a goddamned "100" logo on my fucking cabinet, fuckwit? If you would take the fucking toluene rag out of your goddamn fucking mouth for a second perhaps you would have noticed that!

Since you obviously did not notice, test-tube baby, I SAID I found that image on the net to show what the original grill cloth looked like on my cab! YES I SEE IN THE UPPER LEFT HAND CORNER OF THE CABINET IN THAT PHOTO WHERE THE 100 LOGO ONCE WAS!

SO FUCKING WHAT, SHIT-FOR-BRAINS? THAT PHOTO IS NOT OF MY CABINET!

SO SHUT THE FUCK UP GARFUCKLE!

Now, I said I would post pics later this evening.

UNLIKE GARFUCKLE, I actually CAN and WILL POST THEM!

NOW!

The back of de stack! :D
http://i46.tinypic.com/29zucf4.jpg

Jack plate Serial. Too bad these serial numbers are useless. If they can't date production by these, why the fuck did they bother putting them on in the first place?

Someone at the factory (Jim Marshall perhaps?) got drunk one night and ordered the workers to put them on forevermore with random numbers, no doubt! :D
http://i49.tinypic.com/3309v60.jpg

So I mentioned earlier today that I coulda swore I wrote down the fucking date codes for my Celestions. Turns out I did not have a faulty memory after all! Also, I discovered this evening I got the dates wrong. The top two speakers are from July 23, 1976. The lower right speaker is from 4 months later, October 27, 1976. From 1968 to 1991 the date codes read Month, Year, Day. I had gotten the month and year codes backwards in 2005. I did get the 1982 date correct back then, though. So I am pretty sure it is a 1976 cab, as they did not begin using elephant hide tolex until that year.

There is a killer thread on dating Celestions here: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=67646

http://i50.tinypic.com/15i9dhk.jpg

Found some miscellaneous initials on the bottom of the cab....have no idea what they are, perhaps they were playing cards during lunch hour and needed to keep score...

http://i46.tinypic.com/2vu0nt2.jpg

And last but not least, the signature of the owner of the company:

http://i45.tinypic.com/2lt3ci8.jpg

I dunno who the other signee is....Paul Mixon?

Ah well. Whatever.

Then, while putting the back on again, one of the terminals on the input jack broke off. No biggie to get a replacement (2 bucks and some change), and I want to re-wire the speakers anyway.

As I also posted previously, that 65-watt Celestion sounds brighter and crunchier than the blackbacks. That is the speaker I mike when recording.
So I am going to leave it in there for the time being. I have a Crate 1 X 12 60-watt transistor combo amp that I will put it in eventually though.

Yes Igo, them is all my toys. The piece that came into my possession earliest was the black JB Player Strat, which I bought brand new in 1986 for $250. Everything else in the photo I have accumulated since then.

Thus endeth the post on my cab. Actually, since I created a post in 2005 when I originally bought it (though I can't find it for some reason), I guess I can say this is a re-cabinet post. :D

SHUT UP GARFUCKLE! :fufu:

Panamark
12-08-2009, 02:00 AM
HR69. can I jackoff over your amp ?? It is making me
horny !!

GAR
12-08-2009, 02:10 AM
Wired for 4 ohms? Why - are the other 2 output taps blown in your head, or do you alternate with a Fender?

One of the things I do best is wiring.. and I have some suggestions but you're being a cunt so fukkov..

AH and you got those shitty slotted Whitworth screws! If you lose one, you're completely fuckered. You'll have to re-tap the teenut inserts to metric (M5, .08 pitch by 25mm, 16 pcs.)

If you keep 'em tight enough they'll be fine.

I would get one more G12-65 to replace one of the T1221's, they're essentially greenbacks unless UNLESS they say "resonance - 55hz."

If they are (though I don't think so, the ones I have say T1281 or T1283 25/30w) then you definately want to get another 65.

If you don't like the mic'd tone of the black, try aiming the mic a half-inch offaxis to the voicecoil dustcap. It's alot brighter right in there about an inch around, 75hz or 55hz regardless which blackback you got.

GAR
12-08-2009, 02:12 AM
HR69. can I jackoff over your amp ?? It is making me
horny !!

His cabinet's a rats nest.

Hardrock69
12-08-2009, 02:12 AM
LMFAO!

You may jack off in FRONT of it, but please, do not splooge ON it. :D

GAR
12-08-2009, 02:13 AM
Pana was not Splooge.

Panamark
12-08-2009, 02:18 AM
Its nice HR, I think the old chap GAR would have to agree,,,,

Hardrock69
12-08-2009, 02:19 AM
Not only do I not give a fuck about your advice on my gear, Garfuckle, I do not care about anything you post. Who the fuck cares what YOU would do with MY gear?
STFU and go bother someone else.

Pana, I expected him to do this. He is pathologically incapable of NOT commenting on other people's gear, as he has none of his own.

Panamark
12-08-2009, 02:24 AM
I've got a slanted silver clothed Marshall CAB
gold edged 4 x celestions 100 watt
here that I suspect is vintage.... (Apart from my splooge
which must be at least 15 years old ??)

The cab wheels are really skinny, not like the chunkier ones
I had in the cabs I bought in the 80's... They dont look
added on, they look part of the package.. Will I disqualify
puristst authenticitiy if I drop the back panel off ???

Panamark
12-08-2009, 02:25 AM
Maybe its a Hendrix ?? lol

GAR
12-08-2009, 02:26 AM
Yes but like I say he's got problems on his hands:

Those two 74 blackbacks are keepers, the 77 is gonna sound kinda woofy with that 65 chained to it in series.

He's got to rewire it for 16 ohm, with new thicker wire, move the 74 in the 77 hole, then put a 65 there in the new upper hole - "X" cross-pattern for better fullrange response.

Almost all my cabs are like this, two and two mixed in an X pattern, but what I also do is install the Marshall stereo-switching jackplates.

They're plastic-shelled and kinda cheesy, but I cut off the supplied wiring and solder my own thicker-gauge wire straight on.

This last cab I did just for the house, I didn't do that though. I got kinda lazy and soldered the speakers, but the four remaining ones I soldered to the slide-on spade connectors that go to the jack-board.

He shouldn't sell the 77, but store it somewhere as a spare.

Panamark
12-08-2009, 02:27 AM
HR69. I looked at the pre photos, had a toss, then
saw the big Jim Marshall sig and its splooge for alll here
at the moment !!

Hardrock69
12-08-2009, 02:29 AM
Yes but like I say he's got problems on his hands:

Those two 74 blackbacks are keepers, the 77 is gonna sound kinda woofy with that 65 chained to it in series.

He's got to rewire it for 16 ohm, with new thicker wire, move the 74 in the 77 hole, then put a 65 there in the new upper hole - "X" cross-pattern for better fullrange response.

Almost all my cabs are like this, two and two mixed in an X pattern, but what I also do is install the Marshall stereo-switching jackplates.

They're plastic-shelled and kinda cheesy, but I cut off the supplied wiring and solder my own thicker-gauge wire straight on.

This last cab I did just for the house, I didn't do that though. I got kinda lazy and soldered the speakers, but the four remaining ones I soldered to the slide-on spade connectors that go to the jack-board.

He shouldn't sell the 77, but store it somewhere as a spare.

You should shut the fuck up.

GAR
12-08-2009, 02:30 AM
He is pathologically incapable of NOT commenting on other people's gear, as he has none of his own.

Those wheels are the original gold Homa casters, Leicester England. I don't think they made those past 73 either, so your 74 date codes are a good inidication along with the Whitworth thread screws that the cab is original.

I think I saw a decent set of gold Homa's go over $200 last I cared to check on ebay. I know that Homa went black from 75 to 1980, before those cheepoid Rolo skinny sheetmetal wheels were introduced.

Hardrock69
12-08-2009, 02:31 AM
at the moment !!

LOL.

Needless to say, I freaked out when I opened it up and saw that. It is not uncommon. Hell, you might even find his sig in your cabinet.

Won't hurt it to open it up, if you are curious as to what's inside.

GAR
12-08-2009, 02:33 AM
at the moment !!

I think that the "L" in the 80s dude's signature matches the Jim Marshall siggy, sorry to say.

Hardrock69
12-08-2009, 02:33 AM
Time for me to crash.

Garfuckle, the Celestions (three of them) are from 1976.

Useless for me to tell you since you cannot read, but I figured I would mention it anyway.

Hardrock69
12-08-2009, 02:34 AM
Yes you are sorry. You can mumble at Panamark now.

Cheers, Panamark!

Panamark
12-08-2009, 02:40 AM
Does nobody care about my silver clothed possible antique cab ???

Panamark
12-08-2009, 02:41 AM
I think I have enough for another wank !!
Im looking at it now...... sexy bitch, she wants it !!!

Panamark
12-08-2009, 02:43 AM
I should add the Marshall logo is a lot smaller than
other Marshall cabs I have owned ??
Should i break out the KY jelly again ????

GAR
12-08-2009, 02:43 AM
I see, you posted the incorrect date codes on the PostIt's in the picture, a misread of the month-year. You went Year-Month, then figured it out after..

"The date codes from 1968 to 1991 are written in the form: Month, Year, Day.
For example: KH7 = 7th October 1975"

This explains alot now, and why with a 1971 serial number: those speakers couldn't possibly be the originals - the balance of the cabinet hardware doesnt' corroborate 1976.

In fact, the tolex is most definately pre-76. It is the small grain, 75-78 used that weird, fabric-backed Elephant which was followed by Levant.. a cheaper Elephant Tolex, but not Tolex branded. I think I was told that was made in Europe somewhere.

Tolex is still made in USA.

Panamark
12-08-2009, 02:44 AM
like a thinner version of the familiar Marshall logo

GAR
12-08-2009, 02:44 AM
Does nobody care about my silver clothed possible antique cab ???

Is it loaded with G12M-20's?

Panamark
12-08-2009, 02:49 AM
Is it loaded with G12M-20's?

Well thats my dillema, do I open her up and risk the purists
not rating it so high ??

ace diamond
12-08-2009, 02:55 AM
the first time i got to play a full marshall stack was when i was recording my 2nd cd march 7, 2007.

it had a 300 watt head, tube.

compared to the 120 watt solid state crate i was using at the time,
it was an epiphany.

like going from drinking a soda pop to slamming speedballs in 0.2 seconds!!

it blew my fucking mind.

i have wanted a real marshall ever since......especially since i play a les paul.....but i cannot afford one.
marshall amps and les paul guitar were made for each other.
there is not a more perfect combination in the universe.

GAR
12-08-2009, 02:56 AM
I'm definately not a purist if I'm advising H to replace a 25w with a 65!

Don't make me get out the Aqualube..

GAR
12-08-2009, 02:58 AM
the first time i got to play a full marshall stack was when i was recording my 2nd cd march 7, 2007.

it had a 300 watt head, tube.

compared to the 120 watt solid state crate i was using at the time,
it was an epiphany.

like going from drinking a soda pop to slamming speedballs in 0.2 seconds!!

it blew my fucking mind.

i have wanted a real marshall ever since......especially since i play a les paul.....but i cannot afford one.
marshall amps and les paul guitar were made for each other.
there is not a more perfect combination in the universe.

Marshall makes a 300w tube head? The Mode Four is 300w but it's only got a phase inverter tube and one preamp tube.. the rest is all solid-state.

Panamark
12-08-2009, 03:02 AM
Well, I would like a third wank, Loungies " Dont fall out
of bed pills really work !"

God, the excitement of opening the tomb......
Uh oh there goes number 3

GAR
12-08-2009, 03:04 AM
Use the screwdriver, not your stiffey. What's in the box?

ace diamond
12-08-2009, 03:15 AM
Marshall makes a 300w tube head? The Mode Four is 300w but it's only got a phase inverter tube and one preamp tube.. the rest is all solid-state.
the amp belonged to the guy that owned the studio.

i asked him about the 300 watt head.
at the time, i had no clue they were even possible.

he told me he had it made custom.
he paid a big load of money for it too.
i turned the amp around and he opened it up and showed it to me.
it was in fact 300 watts all tube marshall stack.

it was unbelievably loud......it was so beautiful i think i must have creamed myself while i was playing through it during recording......because we had the volume fucking cranked up pretty good!

it was the most worderful thing i had ever heard!

Panamark
12-08-2009, 03:26 AM
Use the screwdriver, not your stiffey. What's in the box?

This may take a few hours, the third wave always knock me out...

My wife is in the US, and has my camera. I will have to finally
begrudgingly figure out my phone cam...

GAR
12-08-2009, 03:27 AM
I think Wizard Amplification, who does ACDC and Motorhead amps, has a 300w all tube model, but it has 12 output tubes.

Marshall makes no such animal as a 300w guitar amp unless it's the Mode 4 which is hybrid only, and isn't even fully all-tube preamp section like I said.

I am raising my Winter Solstice whitelight to you that the Great Spirit's Truth may become known. Will you accept the white light?

ace diamond
12-08-2009, 03:32 AM
I think Wizard Amplification, who does ACDC and Motorhead amps, has a 300w all tube model, but it has 12 output tubes.

Marshall makes no such animal as a 300w guitar amp unless it's the Mode 4 which is hybrid only, and isn't even fully all-tube preamp section like I said.

I am raising my Winter Solstice whitelight to you that the Great Spirit's Truth may become known. Will you accept the white light?
y't'hey

Panamark
12-08-2009, 03:32 AM
This is freakin me out, kinda like raiders of the lost ark !!!
I have had this cab for 10 years and never popped the back
panel (only cause I thought it could be worth something)

Lookin at HR69's pics again gettin hard...

(Geez guys I have been without my family for a long
time, I get a stiffy every time the wind changes)

GAR
12-08-2009, 03:43 AM
If you can unscrew a handle, or a plastic input jack cup, you may be able to peek inside with a flashlight.

Why's your chick in the US? Is she gonna be back for Xmas?

Panamark
12-08-2009, 04:01 AM
My wife and baby went back for thanksgiving, I couldnt leave until now.....
Its weird having a partner from the other side of the world sometimes..
Dont worry, we love each other more than life, and now we have a baby,
well he is just the most important thing.....

Panamark
12-08-2009, 04:02 AM
We reside in Oz ! :)

GAR
12-08-2009, 04:03 AM
My chick leaves for a few days and I cant even wipe my own ass: I AM the baby! Googoo.. baby need the nipple.. yumyumyum

Hardrock69
12-08-2009, 08:44 AM
Yes, that is your mentality.

Yes but like I say he's got problems on his hands

The only problem I have is you posting in this thread.

Hardrock69
12-08-2009, 11:38 PM
Wired for 4 ohms? Why - are the other 2 output taps blown in your head, or do you alternate with a Fender?

Uh, it is not wired for 4 ohms you ignorant fucktard.

As usual, you own yourself with amazing regularity.

GAR
12-08-2009, 11:47 PM
No, it IS wired in series actually. Anyone can see this if they follow the harness.

Pitifully owned again. 16 div 4 = FOUR.

Hardrock69
12-09-2009, 02:00 AM
Uh no.

Even with the limited options of wiring only 4 speakers together, you still are so fucking stupid you cannot figure it out.

God help anyone that asks you how to wire a cabinet. They would be asking for a melted down head.

As you have provided this forum with an unimaginable amount of disgusting entertainment as you verbally lick our asses each and every day, I am going to give you a fucking clue, though as fucking stupid as you are (you are a poster child for abortion you fuck), I can only assume you will cuntinue to argue with me about it:

Look at the first image of the back of my halfstack. You might (if you have any intellect at all in that worthless brain of yours) notice the impedance selector on the back of my Mark II Super Lead head.

As usual, Garfuckle FAILS.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a286/scooters61/EpicFail.jpg

GAR
12-09-2009, 02:16 AM
Fail is when you set the amp to tell the cabinet what impedance you wish it to be.

Good thing you don't play anymore or you'd have blown something by now..

GAR
12-09-2009, 02:19 AM
Maybe I could send you my older fuckedup digital voltohmmeter, the epoxy has the setting permanently set for lowest ohms resistance range so youshould be able to find out what the motherfucking output jack reads out in resistance.

I'm willing to bet a fuckedup meter that it's four ohms. Unless you're the guy I have on ignore who lives in Canada...

Hardrock69
12-09-2009, 02:20 AM
Like I said, you still want to argue with me, fuckhead.

THE CABINET IS NOT WIRED IN SERIES YOU FUCKING UNIMAGINABLY DENSE BOTTOM-FEEDER!

GAR
12-09-2009, 02:24 AM
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m197/screamingdaisy_album/Guitar%20Kit/Amplifiers/IMG_0869.jpg

Series-parallel. 16. Not 4. Not like your pic.

Hardrock69
12-09-2009, 02:31 AM
Stupid fuck. Still wrong.

And that cabinet was wired by you obviously, as there is no connection to an input jack.

Loser.

Hardrock69
12-09-2009, 02:36 AM
If it was 4 ohms, my amp would have melted down a long time ago, fucktard.

Panamark
12-09-2009, 03:08 AM
Wow ???

Im even unimpressed, I knew ohms law at 14 and are totally
on top of the output impedance selector of any amp...
(And series v parallel) GAR your superior knowledge seems
out of step here ?? Have you been on the meth again ??
Its almost like the difference between a cut and paste wiki/google
and your actual knowledge.

You want to talk series/parallel resistance and capacitance,
bring it on... Thats some of the earliest basic shit they taught me...
Your posts above seem not up to the normal "GAR" level...
After that post you made about not playing for a long time
and "leads/cables" I have noticed that there is Wiki-GAR Google-GAR
and GAR-GAR..

GAR-GAR is in this thread !

Panamark
12-09-2009, 03:45 AM
GAR ? I have loved all your gear posts, even those piped in.
You have a brain, I know this ! Why not let the BS factor go,
I personally believe you are strong enough and intelligent
enough, not to rehash......
Problem is people are starting to see the BS portion.
I say let the real GAR roam the boards, you dont need
third party crap, you are obviously intelligent.........

Peace

-Mark

GAR
12-09-2009, 04:05 AM
the cab above is an example wired 16.

he needs a meter. short sweet and to the point.

GAR
12-09-2009, 04:08 AM
If it was 4 ohms, my amp would have melted down a long time ago, fucktard.

From your junk pile collection, I can tell you collect more than you play which would explain why your mismatch hasn't broken down yet.

Outputs blow from thermal breakdown, thats the clear enamel insulation of the magnet wire wrapping insided. When it gets too hot, it melts and makes contact with the silica steel laminations of the core.

In other words, you haven't played long enough or loud enough with that hack wire job to melt the core. But you do need to address that nest with a rewiring before you do have problems.

I've melted amps, you haven't, my experience and you lack of all explained in one post.

GAR
12-09-2009, 04:12 AM
there is no connection to an input jack.

the example shows the proper circuit, tap in either red wire: pos speaker terminal to pos jack, neg speaker terminal to neg jack.

can't be any simpler.

Hardrock69
12-09-2009, 08:44 AM
YOU cannot be any simpler, fag.

Experience? This from a moron who has not played in 15 years.
You have no idea the amount of 'experience' I have.

Your experience is limited to googling information so you can act like you know what you are talking about. Oh, and whining like a 3-year-old who cannot have any candy while standing in line at Rock 'n' Roll Ralph's.

I have a meter. Any self-respecting gearhead does. And I do know how to use it.

The very first day I got the cabinet, I pulled the back off and checked the speaker wiring before I even hooked the fucking cabinet up to my head.

Poor widdul Gar is just terribly upset because he is wrong and cannot prove otherwise.

The cabinet belongs to me.

I am in possession of it.

I am the one who knows how the speakers are wired together.

You obviously do not.

Garfuckle posts from a fucking library, and wishes he could have gear that the rest of us do.

I have been working in electronics since 1972, when I used to help my Dad build Heathkit ham radio transmitters and receivers when I was a child, and went on to go to electronics schools at Ft. Jackson, SC and Huntsville, AL in the Army in the late 70s.

Garfuckle The Tool cannot possibly win this argument.

Give up Garfuckle.

Simpleton.

You have lost.

Deal with it.

Panamark, did you ever take the back off your cabinet?

Panamark
12-09-2009, 08:58 AM
Panamark, did you ever take the back off your cabinet ?

Heres the deal, I fly out soon to the US and the cab is 10 items
deep in my storage.. Ive been rushing around getting all my other shit ready.
(Never flown alone over such a long trip)
Sydney to Jackson is over 30 hours if you factor in the layovers....
If I get everything ready on time on Saturday, Im going in :biggrin:
I am really curious myself......

Stay tuned !!

Hardrock69
12-09-2009, 09:30 AM
Jackson? Jackson where?

Panamark
12-09-2009, 09:54 AM
MS !

We been heading there since the fires went out ;)

Hardrock69
12-09-2009, 10:41 AM
I see, say de bline main!

There is a Jackson, TN, and it is only about an hour and fifteen minutes from where I am. Was gonna say we could maybe hook up for dinner while you are stateside, but Jackson, MS is a bit too far.

Oh well. Maybe someday.:cool:

And I thought 15 hours to London from where I used to live was a long trip.

30 hours is long enough I would spend much time drinking heavily so I could sleep most of the way! :D

GAR
12-10-2009, 12:34 AM
MS is a bit too far.

Oh well. Maybe someday.

He's apparently married, which means he is heterosexual.

jhale667
12-10-2009, 01:25 AM
Hey Mark, when exactly are you flyin' in, and how long will you be here, through New Year's at least? Longer?

Didn't know until reading this thread your wifey was from the states. Are you just going to hang in MS, or are you going to do a little sight-seeing while you're here?

But yeah, when you get back, please post some detailed pics of your cab! :D

:guitar:

GAR
12-10-2009, 02:55 AM
Didn't know until reading this thread your wifey was from the states.

They met thru the Army! Duh where have you been..