PDA

View Full Version : The Smiths

Soul Reaper
03-08-2005, 03:43 PM
I think they are a very cool band, although they get some mixed opinions from most people.

Your thoughts on them?

loss of fools
03-08-2005, 04:44 PM
there one of the most boring pieces of crap ever.

fe_lung
03-08-2005, 05:13 PM
Liked The Smiths but prefer Morrissey on his own.

secrets
03-08-2005, 05:36 PM
The Smiths are actually an excellent band. Used to hate them big time in fact but some of their songs are just priceless. Some are also quite depressing too.

The Queen is Dead, is blinding. A song about getting rid of the monarchy. Great stuff. This actually really rocks.

Big Mouth Strikes again also a very good song.

Shop Lifters of the world unite and take over. Hilarious.

Worth getting just for the lyrics alone. Yeah I like em.

secrets
03-08-2005, 05:38 PM
Soul reaper deserves 5 stars. Oh you know the rest....

FORD
03-08-2005, 05:53 PM
One has to give Morrisey his props for predicting the rise of shitty corporate radio & record company mergers....

Burn down the disco
Hang the blessed DJ
Because the music that they constantly play
IT SAYS NOTHING TO ME ABOUT MY LIFE
Hang the blessed DJ
Because the music they constantly play

On the Leeds side-streets that you slip down
Provincial towns you jog 'round
Hang the DJ, Hang the DJ, Hang the DJ

secrets
03-08-2005, 06:04 PM
Nice one Ford. Actually I heard that it was written about a DJ who had played a song by Wham or some other gay 80s pop band after announcing the IRA terrorist bombing in the heart of Manchester.

Makes sense to me. Hang the DJ indeed.

Jérôme Frenchise
03-08-2005, 06:27 PM
The Smiths? pfff...:rolleyes: So full of emptiness, up to grotesque.(just my opinion):smoke2:

Panamark
03-09-2005, 01:16 AM
GAY GAY GAY

Panamark
03-09-2005, 01:18 AM
Not referring to you Soul Reaper, by the way. I just think The Smiths
were a gay band. (If Im thinking of the right dudes). Did they call
themselves the housesmiths at one stage too ???

secrets
03-09-2005, 03:28 PM
Listen to the song 'The Queen is Dead' then get back to us.

MAX
03-09-2005, 04:15 PM
Johnny Marr is a pretty good guitar player for that kind of music. Never much cared for the Smiths but I always did like "How Soon Is Now?" for some reason.

Kelly
03-09-2005, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Panamark

No, that was a different band. I love the Smiths - very funny, intelligent band. Got a little girly for me sometimes, but Morrisey is a bit of an icon and Marr is a great guitarist. Meat is Murder - classic.

Jesus Christ
03-09-2005, 09:59 PM

Ye might be thinking of the Housemartins who were another English pop group of the same era, whose singer sounded similar to Morrisey, but less depressing.

Verily, even I the Messiah get depressed listening to The Smiths :(

academic punk
03-09-2005, 10:04 PM
Of course they were gay - Morrissey was proudly the biggest fop in the history of rock, and that's saying something! But Marr was one of the best guitarists/songsmiths of the 80s, and, come on, how's this for lyrical insight:

So I broke into the palace
With a sponge and a rusty spanner
She (the Queen) said "Eh, I know you and you cannot sing"
I said, "That's nothing, you should hear me play piano"

my personal fave:

Some girls are bigger than others
Some girls mothers are bigger than other girls mothers

I also remember one time in 1988 some one calling my local radio station and requesting "Girlfriend in a Coma" because his mother didn't believe a song with that title could possibly exist.

Matt White
03-09-2005, 11:27 PM
Never liked the "Fey" Brit bands.

Panamark
03-10-2005, 12:53 AM
Me neither,

Bronksi Beat makes me want to physically harm people.
And I dont like feeling that way. :eek:

Panamark
03-10-2005, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by Jesus Christ
Ye might be thinking of the Housemartins who were another English pop group of the same era, whose singer sounded similar to Morrisey, but less depressing.

Verily, even I the Messiah get depressed listening to The Smiths :(

Ah yes ! The almighty is righty ! Twas the Housemartins I was thinking of. That was defiantely GAY GAY GAY. Horrible whiny brit homo shit.

FORD
03-10-2005, 02:32 AM
I didn't realize that Fatboy Slim was in the Housemartins. Damn, learn something new every day. Definitely a radical musical departure between that band and what he's doing now.

Panamark
03-10-2005, 05:37 AM
Fatboy Slim ey ? Housemartins ey ?

Makes perfect sense to me.

GAY GAY GAY :D

Jérôme Frenchise
03-10-2005, 08:56 AM
Well. Gayness is just side information, after all. What counts is the nature of their music, which I don't like either.

Thus, who cared about Freddie Mercury being homo?:rolleyes:

But I've got to confess I use non-musical arguments too when it comes to bashing artists I dislike. Maybe it's human.:confused:

Panamark
03-11-2005, 02:13 AM
There is a difference between a gay singer singing decent music, and a gay band singing gay music..

I rest my case.

Jérôme Frenchise
03-11-2005, 11:02 AM
There is a difference between a gay singer singing decent music, and a gay band singing gay music..

I rest my case.

I agree. This was precisely my point. Any deviance they have will come to the foreground of observers' minds when artists reveal to be however over-rated.
A few examples I see for different reasons: Andy Warhol, Poppa Chubby, Marilyn Manson, the Sex Pistols, Billy Idol, Gary Glitter, Spam Hagar...
Once they've got on your nerves, you'll focus on anything that you hardly stand about any other people. Who would say it isn't so? It's just human, I think.

Jérôme Frenchise
03-11-2005, 12:08 PM
... although Dave hasn't been doing anything else than so much more than the most of it, too!:D

Panamark
03-12-2005, 07:21 AM
Lets use Freddie Mercury as the benchamark, as he is always the first name to arise in this debate, he sang some rock and roll absolute classics, and was totally gay. Then look at Pet Shop Boys or Bronkski Beat or any of those other fag bands.. They sang fag music.

Fag music is really horrible, unless you are a fag I guess ??

Bronski Beat is the worst shit Ive ever heard, It makes Boy George
almost listenable.

academic punk
03-12-2005, 10:23 AM
Before Elton John made it, one of the songs he covered was called "Can't Tell the Bottom From the Top"?

How's that for foreshadowing!

secrets
03-12-2005, 10:29 AM
Fag music is really horrible, unless you are a fag I guess ??

Bronski Beat is the worst shit Ive ever heard, It makes Boy George
almost listenable.

Those bands were shite I agree. Wouldn't put the Smiths in the same category even if Morrisey was that way inclined which I don't think he was.

Frankly Mr Shankly The Smiths were probably one of THE most original and important British pop bands since The Beatles.

Last_Child
03-12-2005, 12:35 PM
I've never heard them....

Satan
03-12-2005, 12:43 PM
Actually, word here in Hell is that Morrisey is asexual. He's just too damn depressed to fuck anybody.

And a Devil would have to agree that Bronski Beat was an awful, horrible band. One that I've used to torment the damned, in fact. But you take a band like Erasure, on the other horn. Totally gay without a doubt, but as far as synth pop goes, they were very good at it. And it's not like their songs were all about fucking guys.

But then there's Pansy Division whose songs ARE all about fucking guys, and they're STILL hell-arious, simply because they're so in your face (good music to piss off your right wing neighbors with) :D

pete
03-12-2005, 01:55 PM
The first time I heard "How soon is now" it was haunting. I found it right at home between the DORRS and FLOYD.

Soul Reaper
03-13-2005, 08:06 AM
This Charming Man... that song's been in my head for ages. It's definitely catchy.

academic punk
03-13-2005, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Soul Reaper
This Charming Man... that song's been in my head for ages. It's definitely catchy.

I would go out tonight
But I haaaaven't got a stitch to weeeeaar!

academic punk
03-13-2005, 09:36 AM
I travelled nooorth
I ventured sooouth
Annnd I got confused
I killed a nun

I can't help the way I feeeeel!
'Cause I love you!!!

("Is It Really So Strange?")

secrets
03-13-2005, 11:09 AM
Their lyrics are grate. There are so called metal bands that I could mention that sound totally gay in comparison to The Smiths.

Take a band like Bon Jovi, and please do take them if you can, what have they got lyrically that comes close to dealing with:

Killing the Queen of England

Hanging DJs

Arson

Shoplifters taking over the world

Girl friends in commas.

I rest my case.

pete
03-13-2005, 11:17 AM
nothing at all.

Soul Reaper
03-13-2005, 03:32 PM
If asked would say you liked U2 or The Smiths more?

U2 and The Smiths did come out of the same new-wave era and they were probably the two bands which were more successful.

Soul Reaper
03-13-2005, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by academic punk
I would go out tonight
But I haaaaven't got a stitch to weeeeaar!

Punctured bicycle
On a hillside desolate
Will nature make a man of me yet ?

When in this charming car
This charming man

Why pamper life’s complexities
When the leather runs smooth
On the passenger seat ?

I would go out tonight
But I haven’t got a stitch to wear
This man said it’s gruesome
That someone so handsome should care

Ah ! a jumped-up pantry boy
Who never knew his place
He said return the ring
He knows so much about these things

I would go out tonight
But I haven’t got a stitch to wear
This man said it’s gruesome
That someone so handsome should care
La, la-la, la-la, la-la, this charming man ...
Oh, la-la, la-la, la-la, this charming man ...

Ah ! a jumped-up pantry boy
Who never knew his place
He said return the ring

secrets
03-13-2005, 05:21 PM

That's a whole new thread.

Lyrically The Smiths win. Musically I'd probably have to say U2, but not by much.

Nitro Express
03-17-2005, 03:00 AM
All I know is I was fucking a chick who was into them when I was in college. Some kinky goth type chick who would do anything.

Soul Reaper
03-17-2005, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
All I know is I was fucking a chick who was into them when I was in college. Some kinky goth type chick who would do anything.

er... cool!

Shaun Ponsonby
03-17-2005, 03:13 PM
I hate The Smiths and Morrisey is an arse who deserves to die a slow, horrible death in the next 4 weeks.

Johnny Marr is the nost overated guitarist of all time. The fact that he is considered one of the best is an insult to guitarists worldwide. But, I've seen him on Soccer AM, and he seems like an OK guy.

Soul Reaper
03-17-2005, 03:19 PM
I never saw Johnny Marr as one of the greatest guitarists ever and he never will be, just like The Edge! Definitely not!

secrets
03-17-2005, 05:51 PM

U2 and The Smiths did come out of the same new-wave era and they were probably the two bands which were more successful.

I've thought about this alot. And I would have to say that U2 just have the edge.