PDA

View Full Version : Best Lyrical Album?

JimboGun11
03-08-2005, 10:58 PM
whats Dave's best album, lyrically?
I think its gotta be Skyscraper, some of that stuff takes forever to really GET.

cwsmith17
03-08-2005, 11:30 PM
I would have to agree. He does some real soul-searching on Damn Good. Skyscrper and Knucklebones have amazing lyrics also.

UGS
03-09-2005, 12:04 AM
Fair Warning

DlocRoth
03-09-2005, 10:22 AM
YFLM all day.

academic punk
03-09-2005, 06:33 PM
The Crazy From the Heat EP.

Dave really outdid himself with his lyric-writing on that baby.

Warham
03-09-2005, 06:36 PM
Fair Warning.

:D

academic punk
03-09-2005, 06:37 PM
So much so, look at who's done their own versions of these Dave tunes:

Easy Street - Dan Hartman went back in time at least ten years to pay his repects there.

Same with Coconut Grove.

California Girls? Brian Wilson was so blown away by what Dave created there, that he built his own DeLorean, created his own Flux Capacitor, found some plutonium, and took it back in time to 1962, and created a whole band around the image that Dave projected on those lyrics.

As for Just a Gigolo, where would Al Jolson be without Dave? Dave made Jolson's career if you ask me.

Anonymous
03-09-2005, 09:30 PM
I have to disagree with you AP. Even though Crazy From The Heat was pretty good, I think his writing has really expanded on Diamond Dave. Take Ice Cream Man, for example. It was so good that Dave earlier recruited the Van Halen, who up until then, or after, as you perfer were just a cheesy band fronted by some Ronald McDonald parody, to make a simpler, more rock and straightforward version of the song. Couldn't beat the original if you ask me.

Then there's Bad Habits, I don't think Dave ever wrote something as good as he did in that song.

And where would Savoy Brown be without 'You Got The Blues, Not Me...' and 'Made Up My Mind'?

Plus, do you think Hendrix would ever make it to Woodstock if Dave hadn't recorded 'If 6 was 9' or that the Beatles would actually ever had been something if not for 'Tomorrow Never Knows' by the Diamond Davester?

I'm not even going to mention 'Soul Kitchen'. And yes, I COULD go on and on.

Cheers! :bottle:

academic punk
03-09-2005, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Imapus Sylicker
I have to disagree with you AP. Even though Crazy From The Heat was pretty good, I think his writing has really expanded on Diamond Dave. Take Ice Cream Man, for example. It was so good that Dave earlier recruited the Van Halen, who up until then, or after, as you perfer were just a cheesy band fronted by some Ronald McDonald parody, to make a simpler, more rock and straightforward version of the song. Couldn't beat the original if you ask me.

Then there's Bad Habits, I don't think Dave ever wrote something as good as he did in that song.

And where would Savoy Brown be without 'You Got The Blues, Not Me...' and 'Made Up My Mind'?

Plus, do you think Hendrix would ever make it to Woodstock if Dave hadn't recorded 'If 6 was 9' or that the Beatles would actually ever had been something if not for 'Tomorrow Never Knows' by the Diamond Davester?

I'm not even going to mention 'Soul Kitchen'. And yes, I COULD go on and on.

shit. i've been one-upped on my own joke.

Anonymous
03-09-2005, 10:00 PM
:D

I STILL don't understand what I've written in the 'Ice Cream Man' part...

UNCLAX72
03-10-2005, 01:02 PM
1984/ fair warning
the lyrics on 1984 are classics

UNCLAX72
03-10-2005, 01:02 PM
plus fair warnning is pretty original

cwsmith17
03-10-2005, 04:07 PM
I thought we were talking about Dave's best solo album? Oh Well.

UGS
03-10-2005, 05:15 PM
Since Dave wrote all the words, they're all his albums in the lyrical sense.

Warham
03-10-2005, 05:53 PM
Solo album, I would say Your Filthy Little Mouth. A bit wordy, but pretty good.

Roguesgirl
03-10-2005, 10:44 PM
with VH - Fair Warning hands down

solo - Your filthy little mouth (listening to it now, clever as hell!!)

Carmine
03-11-2005, 09:11 AM
WACF from the 6 pack

Skyscraper from the solo stuff.