PDA

View Full Version : 1960 Fender bassman on ebay Holy Grail of amps!

speedtruckermf
03-09-2005, 05:11 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7306689643&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT
Check it out if you guys are interested in vintage amps. I'll take $6500 from forum members.

Nitro Express
03-10-2005, 02:23 AM
I like Bassmans as well but a Sovtek MIG 50 is very close to the good ol' Bassman.

speedtruckermf
03-10-2005, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
I like Bassmans as well but a Sovtek MIG 50 is very close to the good ol' Bassman. Blasphemy!

Nitro Express
03-11-2005, 01:01 AM
I'm not saying the MIG 50 is on par with an original Fender Bassman but it sure is a better amp than the Fender tweed Bassman reissue. Match a MIG 50 up with the right speaker cabinet and theres a lot of the good stuff you hear on the original Fender. I would say the MIG 50 is layed out more like a JTM 45 with the EQ being between the preamp amp splitter circuit as opposed to being behind the first gain stage ala Fender.

For a person who wants the vibe without spending a fortune and can feel safe taking it on the road, a MIG 50 is a great amp. I've had mine since the mine for almost 10 years and it has never given me a problem. It's not a collectors amp by any means and will never be what the mighty Fender Bassman is but I think as time goes on these Russian amps will have a following of their own for being diamonds in the rough.

But stay away from the Fender Bassman reissue, if you've ever played through the original it will only dissapoint you. Not even close.

smaz
03-11-2005, 05:37 AM
You'll take $6500 from forum members, but it's $5,999 to buy it now on the auction??? Something a bit fishy there.....

Nitro Express
03-11-2005, 03:52 PM
I think the price is too high. I can see that kind of money for an original tweed Bassman that the tweed is in "like new" condition and still has the original tag on it, but the one pictured with worn tweed and dirt on the controls? Oh well, for what some people are paying for vintage gear nowadays, nothing suprizes me. Paul Allen must desperately want it for his EMP museum in Seattle. LOL!

Nitro Express
03-11-2005, 03:53 PM
Of course dirt on the controls is money if you can prove it's Stevie Ray Vaughn's boogers on them. LOL!

speedtruckermf
03-13-2005, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
I think the price is too high. I can see that kind of money for an original tweed Bassman that the tweed is in "like new" condition and still has the original tag on it, but the one pictured with worn tweed and dirt on the controls? Oh well, for what some people are paying for vintage gear nowadays, nothing suprizes me. Paul Allen must desperately want it for his EMP museum in Seattle. LOL!
Clean "mint" ones go for around 10 grand. I had lowered the buy it now after I offered it to you guys, nothing fishy. 28 minutes left and it's up to $5K. Bid now. For the record, I'm selling it because it doesn't sound as good as my reissue. I've blown 5 reissues on the road in the last 2 years cause there made like shit now, but they do sound good. Unfortunatly, Fender no longer makes amplifiers for professional use.

GAR
03-14-2005, 06:32 PM
That's true - and another truth is in a few years you'll see this amp double and wish you'd held onto it.. unless what you're putting this one's money into will appreciate likewise.

Nice nice amp.