PDA

View Full Version : The Devil's Rejects

bueno bob
03-10-2005, 12:21 AM
From Bwbk...The Doc is back!!! I think...?

If you saw ROB ZOMBIE's first horror movie, 2003's House Of 1000 Corpses, it should terrify you that the singer/director said the sequel makes the original look like a Road Runner cartoon.

"I hate to say 'sequel,' because it usually means retreading the same ground," said Zombie of The Devil's Rejects (out July 22), his horror-western that Lion's Gate recently moved up from late August in light of "unbelievable" test-screening scores. "I kept the major characters that I loved and spun them in a new direction and revamped them. The first movie was more wacky and colorful and tongue-in-cheek; this one is more down and bleak and real."

The Devil's Rejects finds the return of several characters from the first film, including ultra creepy Captain Spaulding (Sid Haig), Otis Driftwood (Bill Moseley) and sexy serial killer Baby Firefly (Zombie's wife, Sheri Moon). The film, set in 1978, pays homage to the blood-spattered westerns of director Sam Peckinpah, as Sheriff John Wydell (William Forsythe) tracks the men who killed his brother. "These are the real people and the last one was the cartoon version," Zombie said of the day-glo original, which mixed graphic, blood-spurting violence with groovy camera tricks, clown makeup and a bad-acid-trip vibe. "It's a western with no horses."

Zombie again wrote and directed, but ceded the scoring duties this time to Tyler Bates (Dawn Of The Dead) so he could concentrate on the 29-day shoot in the deserts around Los Angeles. Though the film had a lower budget than the original, Zombie said it looks like it cost ten times more. "I shot a lot of it in the bright daylight in wide open spaces because a lot of times horror movies are dark and spooky, but I think it's freakier to bring the violence into the blatant wide open. Nothing looks creepier than a bad car accident on a bright, beautiful day."

As a quintessentially Zombie example of what inspired the movie's look and feel, the singer recalled a scene from his childhood of bizarre daytime violence. "I remember this bright summery day when I was in high school, sitting in my parents' house, and we heard this screaming," he said. "We saw this naked guy who'd been stabbed many times running down the street in this nice, suburban neighborhood with sprinklers going off around him."

The movie is populated by character actors you might recognize from classic horror films: P.J. Soles (Halloween), Ken Foree (Dawn Of The Dead) and Michael Berryman (The Hills Have Eyes). And, instead of new songs like those in the original (such as Zombie's bizarro duet with Lionel Richie on the Commodores' 'Brick House'), the Rejects soundtrack is full of period songs by the likes of LYNYRD SKYNYRD and THE ALLMAN BROTHERS.

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE DOC?!?!?!?

Matt White
03-10-2005, 12:37 AM
Glad to hear that this one is actualy "creepy"! The first was okay, but the Doc & Cap'n' Spaulding where the only two stand outs!

I'm sure the Doc will get his meat hooks into some SHEEP in this flick!!!

Hell, the PEN should sponser the Doc in his own film!!!

bueno bob
03-10-2005, 01:44 AM
You know, Matt, you're right - I expected a complete gorefest with House but was somewhat surprised to find it more of a...tribute film, I guess you'd say, to the 70's shock flicks (thinking Last House on the Left and The Hills Have Eyes). Doesn't mean I didn't love the shit out of it though! I expect this one'll be well worth the money.

The Doc in a Sheep Pen Production! "House of 1000 Sheep" maybe?

I can see it happening!

Matt White
03-10-2005, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by bueno bob
The Doc in a Sheep Pen Production! "House of 1000 Sheep" maybe?

I can see it happening!

I'll check the coffers! We must get this into production as soon as possible!

Nickdfresh
03-10-2005, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Matt White
I'll check the coffers! We must get this into production as soon as possible!

I think I can line up a director!
http://janusmuseum.org/panabasis/glenda1.jpg

Matt White
03-10-2005, 10:36 AM
Excellent Nick!

Maybe Ice-Girl could play the female lead?!?

Carl, Merle.....Ed's a natural in front of a camera!

Bill & Igor........

The Doc needs plenty of screen time!

What a blood bath!!! It'll make "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" look like a boy-scout outing!
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA!!!

Matt White
03-10-2005, 10:38 AM
HOLY SHIT Rikk!!!!
I never noticed Ed's Tat before!!!
He's got the "sign of Alan" on his arm!!!