PDA

View Full Version : John Kerry speaks

Steve Savicki
03-10-2005, 09:37 AM
In the next 30 days, we've got to persuade the U.S. Senate to take the next critical step in winning health care coverage for every American child.

Today, I am joining leaders from a wide range of organizations representing millions of American families in issuing a simple call to action. If we want our Kids First Act to move forward, we need hearings scheduled in the Senate Finance Committee. So our powerful coalition is kicking off a month-long campaign to press for a firm date this spring for hearings on our Kids First Act.

Millions of families wake up every day to the stark reality of knowing their children have no health insurance. Surely, the Senate can wake up one day this spring and devote a few hours to hearing their stories.

Our Kids First momentum is building every day. Organizations including the American Academy of Pediatrics, the March of Dimes, Every Child Matters, and the AFL-CIO have endorsed our Kids First Act. And over 500,000 people have signed on as citizen co-sponsors of our bill. The best way to make Washington listen is to put that total over one million in the next 30 days.

If you haven't signed already, please do so now. And urge others who care about kids to do the same.

http://www.johnkerry.com/kidsfirst

Getting hearings scheduled is so important. Committee hearings separate proposals that have a chance of becoming law from those that aren't ever going to see the light of day. They provide an opportunity for Congress to receive expert testimony on the importance of a bill and provide an opportunity to get vital information into the public record.

Senator Charles Grassley, chair of the Senate Finance Committee, has been supportive of children's initiatives in the past. We need him to act now by setting a firm date for the hearings America's children need and deserve.

We know how powerful people's stories can be. Thousands have called our Kids First phone lines to give voice to their values. With moving words and sometimes painful stories, they have made it clear that America must move forward to provide health insurance to every child.

I want you to hear some of the messages yourself. Click on our Kids First map and listen to what people from your state have to say.

http://www.johnkerry.com/map

There are those in Washington who want to ignore those voices and hide from the fact that children without health care translates into needless pain and suffering for millions of American families. But we won't let uninsured children be ignored any longer. We've got to put health care for our children at the top of our national agenda. It won't be easy, but we will never rest until we find a way to make sure America puts Kids First.

This month, it's all about keeping the pressure on for hearings. When members of Congress go back for visits in their home states, we need to make sure they hear a forceful demand for action on the Kids First Act - especially members of the Senate Finance Committee. Thanks for helping keep the pressure on.

Sincerely,

John Kerry

P.S. Keep your eyes open for updates on this campaign and ways that you can get involved during the congressional recess. Together, we'll make Washington listen.

View a full list of endorsing organizations:

http://www.johnkerry.com/petition/kidsfirst.php?source=506

Why wasn't Howard Dean mentioned in any of this? At least he won where Kerry didn't. People aren't going to look up to this as much as if Dean were mentioned.

Cathedral
03-10-2005, 10:18 AM
What's really sad is that tax dollars go to stupid things like studying the sleeping habits of an insect, yet some kids have no health coverage.
I am big on insurance, I have a plan for just about everything and it ain't cheap, believe that.

If my tax dollars are going to be spent on anything, I expect it to be spent responsibly and on our children before any lab goon watches an ant rest.

People, this is our country and we cannot sit by and let elected officials dictate to us what their job is and waste our hard earned dollars; and that is a bi-partisan statement directed at both major party's.

DrMaddVibe
03-10-2005, 02:53 PM
So health insurance is a right and not a privilage?