PDA

View Full Version : dave solo vs Van hagar

hard rock
03-11-2005, 10:39 AM
We all know that CVH out sold Van Hagar.

But how about Solo Roth VS Van Hagar????

Why did ALAE not sell as much as lets Say F.U.C.K

OR YFLM not as much as Balance.

We all know that Solo Roth VS Solo Hagar are about same however Hagar has slight advantage over Dave in that he has a lot more solo albums out.

How about concert attendance Why did YFLM mouth tour not draw as much as the Balance tour. We all know that in the Era of grunge a lot of the 80 bands lost out including Dave. How did Van Hagar manage to hold on for just a bit longer. HMMM food for thought.

Bring on the ideas!!!!! Lets see what everyone has to say!!!!

PenguinsKID1986
03-11-2005, 07:16 PM
Van Hager had the backin of Warner Brothers, That helps some.

academic punk
03-11-2005, 07:28 PM
Roth's solo output, unfortunately, was a little inconsistent and schizophrenic in a way. Each album was a left turn (and not always for the better) from the previous one. Artistically, this is cool by me and I appreciate it, but you asked in the context of commercial success.

Van Hagar was consistent in their sound, message, and general suck-assness. In other words, you could hear any solo Dave tune and probably guess what album it was from just from sound, production, lyrical approach. Van Hagar is all pretty much interchangeable.

For Joe Public, the Van Hagar approach is the safe bet: you know what you're getting. With Roth, if you had EEAS and bought Skyscraper the day it came out, you were probably surprised by the new poppier direction. Same with ALAE (a rockier disc by far over Skyscaper, but less Van Halen-esque rock than EEAS), and then YFLM (a hard rock singer-songwriter effort, some lyrics are almost confessional), and then DLR Band (with Dave's "new" octave, again a different kind of rock than he'd delivered in the past).

I could go on forever...

Ally_Kat
03-11-2005, 08:08 PM
why is this in Feedback?

Big Troubles
03-11-2005, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Ally_Kat
why is this in Feedback?

:D 'Cause Hardrock wanted some "feedback". :lol: