PDA

View Full Version : Monday Night Football heading to ESPN after 2005?

POJO_Risin
03-12-2005, 05:18 PM
It looks like it's going to happen. Right now, Disney is losing 150 million a year on MNF...with their 550 million dollar package...

It also pays 600 million for the ESPN package on Sunday Nights...and doesn't lose money...

The belief is that Disney will roll with a big offer for ESPN to carry MNF...and give up their Sunday Night package....

it looks like TNT would be at the top to snag it, although FOX and NBC may be a factor as well...

MNF not on Network TV?

It could happen...and probably would be a good thing...

unless the NFL would allow ABC to pick their matchups for the halfway point...

ALinChainz
03-12-2005, 05:28 PM
With the bar being so much more level between network and cable, this won't be that big of deal I don't think.

Whatever it takes, get that next season here dammit.

POJO_Risin
03-12-2005, 05:30 PM
I don't know that it will be a big deal for us...

just take a game or two to get used to it not being on real tv...

I do think ratings will go down...and I do think that Madden may rethink his deal...I don't think he left FOX to goto ESPN...

POJO_Risin
03-12-2005, 05:32 PM
It may get rid of Thiesman though...

but dear god...if Madden and Michaels left (and I think both would consider it...)

could you imagine if they moved their Sunday Team to MONDAY!

What a nightmare...

ALinChainz
03-12-2005, 05:32 PM
Maybe not, but they would probably pony up a tad more for him to keep him there.

Maybe he moves into studio work instead, he isn't getting any younger either.

ALinChainz
03-12-2005, 05:33 PM
Can't take much more Theisman, I just can't.

I won't I tell ya.

POJO_Risin
03-12-2005, 05:37 PM
But Madden is still the best...

the Fox crew is a fucking joke...

jesus...what happened to the good announcers...

to many former pretty boys in the booth...

ALinChainz
03-12-2005, 05:41 PM
I like Madden ok ... never been that big a fan of him in the booth. He knows his shit, I wouldn't argue you that.

Not big on the Fox crew either.

Grew up on Summerall and Brookshier, Dick Enberg, Stockton, guys like that.

One of the fun things on Suday though watching Ticket is who has the worst announce team doing their game.

POJO_Risin
03-12-2005, 05:46 PM
Oh...I know...tell me about it...

I loved CBS back in the day with Summerall and Madden as the 1 team...and Stockton and Criqui as their 2 team...

NBC had Enberg and that fucking former lineman...Merlin Olsen...

I liked them as well...

ALinChainz
03-12-2005, 05:51 PM
"OH MY"

Dick Enberg ... hell yeah.

Man, that shows my age some being able to remember Brookshier when he was with Summerall.

But I was a fan early. :D

POJO_Risin
03-12-2005, 05:59 PM
Christ dude...that was 70's shit...for Brookshier...

and fucking Curt Gowdy...

and of course...Meredith, Cosell and Gifford...

ALinChainz
03-12-2005, 06:03 PM
Gowdy ... another good one ...

Was watching the Monday Night Game when Cosell called one of the Redskins a "little monkey", want to say Joe Washington, but might not have been. Smallish, fast offensive player.

POJO_Risin
03-12-2005, 06:05 PM
Yeah...it was a small, fast offensive player....

Washington wide receiver...

one of the Smurfs...and the fun bunch...

Alvin Garrett...

POJO_Risin
03-12-2005, 06:06 PM
lmfao...

"Look at that Little Monkey run..."

funny shit...I'll never forget that...

I remember my dad saying...not a second later...

Well...he's going to get in trouble for that...

lmfao...

ALinChainz
03-12-2005, 06:11 PM
Damn dude ... you fucking got it. Couldn't remember.

Garrett ... didn't even really phase me when he said it either.

Monday Night Flashback ...lol.

POJO_Risin
03-12-2005, 06:14 PM
I remember WAY back in the day...74 or 75...seeing an OJ Simpson interview...without his pads...

and thinking, "WHAT HAPPENED TO HIS SHOULDERS!"

My favorite night was Monday Night...I had an old black and white TV in my room...

and that freakin' theme song...but watching MNF until I fell asleep...I loved that shit...

POJO_Risin
03-12-2005, 06:15 PM
We talked about Garrett and Cosell a couple of months ago I think...which is why I remembered his name...

ALinChainz
03-12-2005, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin
I remember WAY back in the day...74 or 75...seeing an OJ Simpson interview...without his pads...

and thinking, "WHAT HAPPENED TO HIS SHOULDERS!"

My favorite night was Monday Night...I had an old black and white TV in my room...

and that freakin' theme song...but watching MNF until I fell asleep...I loved that shit...

And the halftime highlights Cosell used to do.

Oh yeah, the theme song. Classic. Wonder if I have that on cd somewhere.

I think that's when it was for me, the Dolphins SB where Griese threw only 7 passes. The the Steelers and on ...

Oh yeah, better keep your shit straight over the weekend or no MNF, had to have that. The old balck and white in your room was your friend, no doubt.

POJO_Risin
03-12-2005, 06:26 PM
complete with the aluminum foil antennae...

ALinChainz
03-12-2005, 06:30 PM
lol

or coat hanger antenna WITH tin foil ...

or when you got your hands on the somewhat de-lux pair of .... yes ... rabbit ears, that might have even had some dial in the middle that you could turn.

yep ... fucking stone age ...

POJO_Risin
03-12-2005, 06:40 PM
Those fucking dialed antennaes...funny bro...I have one of those hooked up to my dish for my local channels...come in clear as a bell...

ALinChainz
03-12-2005, 06:44 PM
Oh hell yeah ... and sometimes on a clear night ... we could get channels we normally couldn't, sometimes across Lk Michigan.

POJO_Risin
03-12-2005, 06:47 PM
I used to listen to Detroit games if the Tribe was off...or playing on the West Coast...or vice versa...

I can't remember the channel...AM 680?

ALinChainz
03-12-2005, 06:47 PM
After awhile, the picture would start to shorten and you'd have to slap it around on the side or the top now and then.

ALinChainz
03-12-2005, 06:51 PM
I used to listen to Detroit games if the Tribe was off...or playing on the West Coast...or vice versa...

I can't remember the channel...AM 680?

yeah .. something like that ... listen to a lot that way myself ... never really minded either. Harwell and Beckman ... Ernie for sure anyway.

Tigers weren't real good back then either.

POJO_Risin
03-12-2005, 06:54 PM
Yeah...the old rolling screen...if you tilted it just right...you could get it to stop...

for about 10 seconds...hopefully long enough for a play or 2...

Warham
03-12-2005, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by ALinChainz
"OH MY"

Dick Enberg ... hell yeah.

Man, that shows my age some being able to remember Brookshier when he was with Summerall.

But I was a fan early. :D

I was just fucking thinking that as I read that...'OH MY!'

Great broadcaster. Can call any sport great. Baseball, football, and even tennis. Even did a good job in 'Naked Gun'. :D

rustoffa
03-12-2005, 08:13 PM
You know, there's nothing worse in sports commentary than Dan Fucking Dierdorf.

I hope I mispelled his name...

Dierdorf: "And the best part is, I'm not shaped like one of these anymore (holding football)

His fucking head has the exact same content as that football.

He actually DETRACTS from a fucking game...he'll say some mind-numbing shit and everyone will look at each other in disbelief....a big play takes place that you missed, and then he explains that and you want to kick the fucking tube in.

I hate that guy.

Va Beach VH Fan
03-12-2005, 08:21 PM
It may get rid of Thiesman though...

but dear god...if Madden and Michaels left (and I think both would consider it...)

could you imagine if they moved their Sunday Team to MONDAY!

What a nightmare...

Can't take much more Theisman, I just can't.

I won't I tell ya.

You guys read my mind....

I think ESPN would do a much better job on MNF than ABC does, but they just can't put Theismann in there....

POJO_Risin
03-13-2005, 04:30 PM
Someone had to mention Dickdorff...

I recall the fucking days when that bitch was COMPARED to the incomparable Howard Cosell...

Cosell often topped the most liked polls and the most hated polls...

DickDorff? landslide for sucking...no show for anyone liking this guy...

isn't he teamed with Enberg right now?

POJO_Risin
03-13-2005, 04:33 PM
I don't know that ESPN would do any better or worse...it really would all depend on who the fuck they had in the booth...

I'd love for them to go out and get some guys we've never fucking heard of before...or try and snag similarities to the early team...

Hmmmm...maybe get Favre for the Meredith roll...

I don't know...

CROWBAR
03-13-2005, 07:58 PM
Gowdy ... another good one ...

Was watching the Monday Night Game when Cosell called one of the Redskins a "little monkey", want to say Joe Washington, but might not have been. Smallish, fast offensive player.

Are you sure that was the comment? Seems like I remember Cosell making a racist comment and saying, "Look at that mookie run"! With Cosell, you never knew what the guy would say. I could be wrong about that statement, that's been yrs. ago! I'm certainly old enough to remember some of the old commentators, Gowdy I always liked. Summeral for sure with Madden were good. Meredith & Gifford with Cosell. Fuck I'm Old!

I would agree with the comments about Theisman! Get him out of there! Also, Dan Isadork, the stupidest guy ever let in the booth! Hate that guy!

I think it might be a good thing to move MNF, it's gotten stale these past few years.

Va Beach VH Fan
03-13-2005, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by CROWBAR
Are you sure that was the comment? Seems like I remember Cosell making a racist comment and saying, "Look at that mookie run"! With Cosell, you never knew what the guy would say. I could be wrong about that statement, that's been yrs. ago!

No, it was definitely "monkey"....

Such an overblown situation, totally unecessary....

If you get a chance, the HBO special on Cosell comes on every once in a while, check it out....

They spend a lot of time of that situation....

They interviewed his grandson, who stated that when he was a little boy several times Cosell would call him a monkey....

They also showed a college football clip of a WHITE running back on a handoff when Cosell called him a monkey....

Moreover, Cosell was quite often called a N***** Lover because of his backing of Muhammad Ali....

So the inference of any racial undertones when he called Alvin Garrett a monkey was just ridiculous....

ALinChainz
03-13-2005, 08:46 PM
lol ... many did wonder how he and Ali could be in the same room ...

rustoffa
03-13-2005, 09:05 PM
The Stones' smash hit offa Let It Bleed was a firestorm of cuntroversy as well.

.....I'm a cold Italian Pizza
I could use a lemon squeezah!

I'm a Monkayyyyyyyyyy!

VHdamaco
03-14-2005, 01:57 AM
no mention of the greatest mnf tandem of them all?

fouts, miller and michaels?

thats the can't miss team...

whatta bunch of jack offs they were