PDA

View Full Version : VA Rant: The sports media, just another National Enquirer nowadays

Va Beach VH Fan
03-13-2005, 10:23 AM
Just thought I'd get on my soapbox for post #2000....

DISCLAIMER: This is intended as a fan-neutral post.... I am NOT posting this as a fan of small-market Pro teams, so keep that in mind...

Commence Rant...

The more I watch sports shows, and I watch just about every one of them, I get more and more disappointed in the topics discussed in them....

It's not narrowed down to one sport or another, it's just about every one of them....

My feeling is that when sports fans watch shows like Sportscenter, they should get stories that are newsworthy, based on their good/bad performances on and off of the field/court....

But what we get nowadays, IMHO, is constantly the same stories concerning the same people and teams, over and over and over again....

It's almost like they're doing a regional sports show, as opposed to a national show....

To be more specific:

Baseball - Obviously, the last six months have had some momentous stories... The Red Sox miraculous comeback vs. the Yankees to win it all after 86 years and the steroid scandal are certainly newsworthy, I would obviously not downgrade their importance...

However, and this has been going on for at least 5 years now, does ESPN think that there are only two teams in MLB that fans want to hear about ?? Why is it we ALWAYS have to get a report from the obviously New England-biased Peter Gammons on the Red Sox (whom I like generally) ?? Do they really think that EVERYONE that watches Sportscenter wants a daily report on the Yankees and the Red Sox ??

The stories that SHOULD be reported, at least SOMETIME, should be things like;
- Cleveland's quest to unseat Minnesota's reign on the AL Central
- Can Texas get over the hump and be considered a AL favorite ??
- Can John Smoltz return as a dominant starter again ??

But what do we get on a DAILY basis ??
- Daily Yankees reports
- Daily Giambi reports
- Daily Red Sox reports
- Daily Schilling reports
- Daily Bonds reports

My God, I wouldn't be surprised if Pedro Gomez tells us tomorrow that Bonds had corn in his shit today !!

Football - This isn't as bad, and I think it's apparent that the parity in the NFL due to the salary cap, creating many more good teams, plays a big part in the more evenly-spread coverage of NFL teams....

But football coverage isn't without it's faults....

First and foremost, there is WAY too many Bill Parcells and Cowboys coverage, especially considering that Dallas isn't even considered an NFL "elite" team nowadays....

The same "could" be said for Belichick and the Pats, but with 3 SB titles in 4 years, that nearly makes their over-coverage a wash....

But with 32 NFL teams, there are more interesting stories out there than JUST Parcells and Belichick....

Basketball - I could give a shit about the NBA, that sport lost me about 10 years ago and I don't pay much attention to it's stories...

Having said that though, it seems that this year's NBA season has a few good stories in them, with Phoenix and Seattle having very good years....

But what are we bombarded with ?? Shaq and Kobe, Shaq and Kobe...

Hockey - Well, with no season, not much to talk about, I'll leave them alone....

So I guess in summary, if I were a part of the production staff in ESPN for one day, I'd recommend to them to stop tailoring your shows like they're only being shown in a few big cities, and make it the NATIONAL sports show that it's supposed to be....

Rant concluded, off soapbox....

vanzilla
03-13-2005, 10:52 AM
VA - Being a sports producer I agree with the majority of your post. I stopped watching Sportscenter a long time ago. Not because of your arguments, although they are all valid - but because IMO all Sportscenter does is throw out silly Top 10 Lists and have analysts beat the life out of any topic that's making headlines. Plus most of the anchors don't embrace good writing. They just throw out catch phrase after catch phrase in hopes of becoming the next pop culture icon. The obvious reason they cater to the Big Market Teams is because that's where there's the most people. But you're right, if they dug a little more they'd find interesting stories in smaller markets that would hold the attention of Joe Q. Audience if told correctly.

With that said, I respect some of the on air personalities. Suzy Kolber is incredibly knowledgable and a very nice person as well. Chris Mortenson and John Clayton are also class acts.

But the reality of it is, the only sports shows I watch are HBO's Real Sports and ESPN's Outside the Lines. I hop on the net for headlines.

And by the way, if anyone thinks i'm bitter because I don't work at ESPN - I've had offers. Let's just say Bristol, CT isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Va Beach VH Fan
03-13-2005, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by vanzilla
VA - Being a sports producer I agree with the majority of your post. I stopped watching Sportscenter a long time ago. Not because of your arguments, although they are all valid - but because IMO all Sportscenter does is throw out silly Top 10 Lists and have analysts beat the life out of any topic that's making headlines. Plus most of the anchors don't embrace good writing. They just throw out catch phrase after catch phrase in hopes of becoming the next pop culture icon. The obvious reason they cater to the Big Market Teams is because that's where there's the most people. But you're right, if they dug a little more they'd find interesting stories in smaller markets that would hold the attention of Joe Q. Audience if told correctly.

With that said, I respect some of the on air personalities. Suzy Kolber is incredibly knowledgable and a very nice person as well. Chris Mortenson and John Clayton are also class acts.

But the reality of it is, the only sports shows I watch are HBO's Real Sports and ESPN's Outside the Lines. I hop on the net for headlines.

And by the way, if anyone thinks i'm bitter because I don't work at ESPN - I've had offers. Let's just say Bristol, CT isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Yeah, good points as well, especially the "analysts" portion....

I really tire of the Sean Salisbury's and the Joe Theismann's of the industry, constantly lecturing to us so matter-of-factly, as if their word CAN'T be wrong....

I guess it's just that the sports world has SO many "feel good" stories in them, but that they're more than often ignored, as you say, by the self-generated hoopla of only a few stories in the big markets that they've drummed up...

For example, you'd think that the entire baseball-loving world just hinges on the Yankees-Red Sox opener, and whether Curt Schilling will pitch....

ALinChainz
03-13-2005, 11:18 AM
No matter the sport, they all sound the same any more.

"Make plays" is the most overused and undefined term in the business in my opinion.

Carbon copy, ex-players who can put 2 words together intelligently for the most part (or loudly) are getting these jobs anyway.

That said, I do respect those that played the game they are commenting on. But some I would rather not listen to.

vanzilla
03-13-2005, 11:29 AM
That said, I do respect those that played the game they are commenting on. But some I would rather not listen to. [/B][/QUOTE]

Like that idiot Deon Sanders! God, I'm glad he's playing again so I don't have to listen to the mindless dribble that comes out of his mouth anymore. I even told that to his face at a Ravens game this year and he just smiled and said "Jesus Loves You Brother".

Boy, did he make me feel like a dumbass. So I asked him if Jesus loved him for stiffing his mechanic on nearly $3,000 worth of repairs on his pimp-mobile. He didn't like that. Security! Security!

Okay, I wished that happened. But it could when the Ravens come to Tennessee next season.

Deon is a peice of shit. I feel sorry that my boys D-Mase and Samari have to be on the same roster as this guy. Then again, those guys are making some serious bank, so I don't feel too badly for them.

ALinChainz
03-13-2005, 11:35 AM
Michael Irvin too.

Can't take much more of him.

Like VA said, I watch as much of the sports on TV as I possibly can and tend to find myself leaning towrd my more local coverage as they don't beat all those drums he mentions (Yankees, Sox, roid, Kobe, etc).

vanzilla
03-13-2005, 11:39 AM
Okay went off on a tangent there. Sorry about that. As far as local tv, there are several reasons why sports is on the down slide. I'd love to post some of them now, but I've actually got to put my show together. I'll get back to ya on that. What are your thoughts about your local sports guys?

ALinChainz
03-13-2005, 11:49 AM
Oh they are pretty much unbearable also . :D

But at least the subject and content is there.

Like to hear about my teams first, then the rest.

POJO_Risin
03-13-2005, 04:52 PM
My local guys suck ass...I'm in the heart of Tobacco Road...and on nights of big games in other conferences...we get to hear about what JJ Redick did with is laundry, how Sean May is rippling muscle now instead of a big fat tub of shit, how McCants is just a thinker, not a head case, and how Chris Paul isn't as good as UNC's point...who's name is escaping me for some reason...

There's a guy at WRAL who has all the sayings and other horseshit...obviously shooting for ESPN...it's the same station that fucking "BOOYAH" came from...

It's fucking unbearable...

I lean 95% on the internet reports...

but watch every sports station I can get my eyes onto...

I think the major difference between Va and I...and I agree with everything he's saying...is that I love to hate about all those guys they love to talk about...and it all just gives me more ammo...

I compare it to the town I moved from...

there was one major paper there...with a city school system...and a county school system. The paper was located in the city. My senior year in high school, my high school basketball team went to the state semi-finals...

the day we won the game to get into the state semi's...the front page story was a 2 pager on the season the major city schools season (they had lost in the first round of the state playoffs)...and Va...you know who I'm talking about...

it semantics guys...fact...it's what sells...or...

what they think sells...

Va Beach VH Fan
03-13-2005, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin
and Va...you know who I'm talking about...

Might their colors be orange and black ???

Well, I think you guys are basically concurring with what I'm saying, although I didn't want the topic to start leaning towards local anchors...

But now that baseball is getting closer and closer to opening day, pay attention to what stories and teams are being profiled (again and again)....

You'll see what I mean....

redblkwht
03-14-2005, 01:42 AM
Nice 1st post Va, im tired of the Jime Rome of sports..
just attacking, not any feel good updates. and all the Rome
wannabees in which i think are many. I listen to espn radio on the way
to work everyday, nothing good at all, just Illini in which it will be all
over in 4 games tops. talk about beating a dead horse..the kerry wood
watch and the Bulls? gimme a break.
Id rather hear/see more upcoming rookies in spring training,
more news on the vikings building a contender, more about
Tim Duncan, its like they erased hockey..like it never was?

twonabomber
03-14-2005, 02:07 AM
our local guys are competent but they all have their weakenesses. one guy is the radio voice of the Browns so he doesn't get too judgemental on obvious dumb decisions the team makes. he never ripped into Garcia or Davis until they were off the team, and he tends to lob softball questions on the coaches' weekly show. other than that, he's a good sportscaster, doesn't go for too many of the gimmicky things.

the local "tabloid" news station has been trying out new sports people for almost four months now. the current favorite seems to be this Asian guy, Charlie Minn, who has got the worst TV voice i have ever heard. he's enthusiastic, but i can't stand listening to his voice. i usually don't watch that channel so whatever they do won't bother me too much.

local FOX was going with what they called Tag Team Sports, which was two idiots, one who likes to scream "wheeee!" all the time. they just broke that up, the annoying guy works weekdays, the other guy who is a little less of an idiot gets weekends. go figure.

i don't listen to sports talk radio at all. most of the guys in the local newspapers think they're comedians. one asshole used to be the Plain Dealer's radio writer, where he used to do nothing but gripe about Howard Stern...now he does a column in the sports section, where he spends most of his time griping about Jim Rome, and telling everybody how much so-and-so's house sold for once they got traded/released/whatever.

vanzilla
03-14-2005, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by twonabomber
our local guys are competent but they all have their weakenesses. one guy is the radio voice of the Browns so he doesn't get too judgemental on obvious dumb decisions the team makes. he never ripped into Garcia or Davis until they were off the team, and he tends to lob softball questions on the coaches' weekly show. other than that, he's a good sportscaster, doesn't go for too many of the gimmicky things.

the local "tabloid" news station has been trying out new sports people for almost four months now. the current favorite seems to be this Asian guy, Charlie Minn, who has got the worst TV voice i have ever heard. he's enthusiastic, but i can't stand listening to his voice. i usually don't watch that channel so whatever they do won't bother me too much.

local FOX was going with what they called Tag Team Sports, which was two idiots, one who likes to scream "wheeee!" all the time. they just broke that up, the annoying guy works weekdays, the other guy who is a little less of an idiot gets weekends. go figure.

i don't listen to sports talk radio at all. most of the guys in the local newspapers think they're comedians. one asshole used to be the Plain Dealer's radio writer, where he used to do nothing but gripe about Howard Stern...now he does a column in the sports section, where he spends most of his time griping about Jim Rome, and telling everybody how much so-and-so's house sold for once they got traded/released/whatever.

Yeh, I've actually seen the Tag Team sports. You nailed it dude. In a word - pathetic. I like Monica Robins, the weekend news anchor at KYC. She's a friend of mine - used to work with her about 12 years ago. She's in a blues band - I think they're called BFW Blues Band or something like that.

Thanks for the insight Twona. I'll be up in Cleveland when The Titans play the browns. We should grab a brew man!

POJO_Risin
03-15-2005, 06:23 PM
Yo twona...is Trivosano still on?

Christ...that fucking guy used to rip on every fucking Plain Dealer reporter...and columnist...every chance he could get...

liked him though...even though he's a giant prick...

twonabomber
03-15-2005, 06:36 PM
yeah, Triv is still on. the ex-radio guy in the PD doesn't like him, either.

remember Bruce Drennan? he got busted for being part of a gambling ring and has been off the air for a few months.

twonabomber
03-15-2005, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by vanzilla
I like Monica Robins, the weekend news anchor at KYC. She's a friend of mine - used to work with her about 12 years ago. She's in a blues band - I think they're called BFW Blues Band or something like that.

she sings the anthem at a lot of games. she's got a good voice. never seen her band though, but hear they're good too.