PDA

View Full Version : Motley Crue Milwaukee 3-12-05 concert review

Marlowe01
03-13-2005, 06:42 PM
First off, let me say that these exceeded all expectations that I had when I walked through the doors of US Cellular Arena. Prior to this, I'd thought that they maybe didn't have any brain cells left to play for 2 hours. Holy fuck was I wrong! Motley Crue was the first real rock band that I got into. I remember buying copies of Dr. Feelgood and Shout at the Devil in the 6th and 7th grades. From that point on, I eventually bought myself the entire collection. Note that this is coming from someone who knew almost every word to each song they played, so it might sound biased. But...this shouldn't be taken into account. They started a bit late, but ended late...so I didn't get fucked over.

Complaints: I expected Tommy Lee's drum solo to be a lot more spectacular...it was kind of boring. He went up on two different risers alternating back and forth between somwhat simple rap beats and did a percussive solo on metal objects that was KINDA cool but still sort of boring. I wanted him to go upside down and back and forth and play me something ROCK N ROLL. This idea sort of sucked. Complaint #2 was that they should have played longer. They finished up and I was sitting there thirsty for more. The encore wasn't the greatest, but still good. A very minor complaint was that Vince forgot a miniscule portion of the words, but whatever he forgot was replaced with other things that were going on.

SETLIST (although only the first and last songs are in the correct order):
Shout at the Devil
Too Fast for Love
On With the Show
Live Wire
Too Young to Fall in Love
Red Hot
Looks that Kill
Ten Seconds to Love
Louder than Hell (one of the best songs from their worst album...an OK choice)
Home Sweet Home
Wild Side
Girls Girls Girls
Dr. Feelgood
Without You
Don't Go Away Mad (Just Go Away)
Same Ol' Situation
Primal Scream
Glitter
If I Die Tomorrow
Sick Love Song
Kickstart My Heart

ENCORE: Helter Skelter (COME ON!---not a good choice for an encore)
Anarchy in the UK (always a great song)

*kinda glad they didn't do Smokin' in the Boys Room (one of my least favorite of theirs) but I think they could have chosen a better setlist...although it was near-perfect. They could have whipped out "Afraid" or "Hell on High Heels" or something...but I was still impressed. The Crue blew me away. Well-worth what I paid and the 2-hour drive from Green Bay. The strippers, the midgets, the fireworks, the fire, etc., were all a great addition to the superb concert.

---note that there is a special "video treat" that Tommy Lee takes part in that is a good laugh.

I was so impressed with this that I will gladly see them again this summer in Milwaukee at the Marcus Ampitheatre on August 10th when they play with Silvertide...one of my favorite newer bands out there.

ROCK ON!

LoungeMachine
03-13-2005, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by Marlowe01
First off, let me say Holy fuck was I wrong! Motley Crue was someone who knew almost every word to each song they played,

Complaints: I expected to see Tommy Lee's spectacular ass...it was kind of boring.

This idea sort of sucked. Complaint #2.

ROCK ON!

classicdude
03-13-2005, 10:43 PM
Saw the same show and can't dispute what Marlowe01 posted. Although IMO I would have liked to have heard "Smokin' in the Boy's Room." Tommy Lee's rafter drum solo was definitely a disappointment IMO - too techno/tribal/tinkly...didn't mesh with the Crue sound IMO. Definitely not like the cage show he put on back in the 80s or 90s. He kind of made up for it with the titty-cam portion of the show, LOL! :boobs: :splooge: For you biker fans, the Crue comes out with the choppers in the 2nd set after intermission. I happened to catch Vince Neil on his solo tour a couple years back and dude would have KILLED for an audience like he had this tour stop. I would definitely like to hear the thoughts of people who caught the Van Has-been tour last summer and this tour and their thoughts on the guitarists. I thought Mick Mars sounded pretty damn good. :)

Panamark
03-15-2005, 01:28 AM
I have no doubts this show would be better than the Van Hagar gig.
Its the original band. Van Hagar is not. Simple Math.

vanzilla
03-15-2005, 01:37 AM
Thanks for the review Marlowe. It's good to hear the Crue is still kickin' ass after all these years. And more importantly catering to their fans.

Now if Edward would pay attention to what Motley is doing and follow suit with Dave - wouldn't that be a concept.

DLR_EngineRoom
03-15-2005, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by Marlowe01
First off, let me say that these exceeded all expectations that I had when I walked through the doors of US Cellular Arena. Prior to this, I'd thought that they maybe didn't have any brain cells left to play for 2 hours. Holy fuck was I wrong! Motley Crue was the first real rock band that I got into. I remember buying copies of Dr. Feelgood and Shout at the Devil in the 6th and 7th grades. From that point on, I eventually bought myself the entire collection. Note that this is coming from someone who knew almost every word to each song they played, so it might sound biased. But...this shouldn't be taken into account. They started a bit late, but ended late...so I didn't get fucked over.

Complaints: I expected Tommy Lee's drum solo to be a lot more spectacular...it was kind of boring. Complaint #2 was that they should have played longer. They finished up and I was sitting there thirsty for more. The encore wasn't the greatest, but still good.

SETLIST (although only the first and last songs are in the correct order):
Shout at the Devil
Too Fast for Love
On With the Show
Live Wire
Too Young to Fall in Love
Red Hot
Looks that Kill
Ten Seconds to Love
Louder than Hell (one of the best songs from their worst album...an OK choice)
Home Sweet Home
Wild Side
Girls Girls Girls
Dr. Feelgood
Without You
Don't Go Away Mad (Just Go Away)
Same Ol' Situation
Primal Scream
Glitter
If I Die Tomorrow
Sick Love Song
Kickstart My Heart

ENCORE: Helter Skelter (COME ON!---not a good choice for an encore)
Anarchy in the UK (always a great song)

*kinda glad they didn't do Smokin' in the Boys Room (one of my least favorite of theirs) but I think they could have chosen a better setlist...although it was near-perfect....but I was still impressed. The Crue blew me away. Well-worth what I paid and the 2-hour drive from Green Bay. The strippers, the midgets, the fireworks, the fire, etc., were all a great addition to the superb concert.

---note that there is a special "video treat" that Tommy Lee takes part in that is a good laugh.

I was so impressed with this that I will gladly see them again this summer in Milwaukee at the Marcus Ampitheatre on August 10th when they play with Silvertide...one of my favorite newer bands out there.

ROCK ON!

hate ta say I told ya so but........haha.....glad you enjoyed it

as far as 'Theatre Of Pain'...it's my fave Crue album, nothing short of kickass metal IMO, but then again I also grew up with shout@thedevil.com & Dr_Feelgood. I couldn't believe they played 'Louder Than Hell', one of my fave Crue songs. And yes, Tommy's solo did suck, especially given the fact that he can still kickass on drums, & he should've done the GirlsGirlsGirls/Feelgood solo, goin' upside down n' shit......that was the most amazing drum solo I've ever seen (feelgood tour)

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaanyway.......glad to hear you enjoyed the show.

Panamark
03-15-2005, 06:06 AM
Hey Marlowe, how did Nikki Sixx and Mick Mars go ?

bru87tr
03-18-2005, 08:56 AM
its a shame not more of the "New Tattoo" album is not on that setlist........

when that came out I played it non-stop that summer. great album and very overlooked.

Chaz Rock City
03-20-2005, 08:49 AM
I liked Tommy solo, it wasn't the typical metal drum solo. I never saw Crue in the 80's, but I have the bootlegs. I think Tommy's solos were overated. Yeah his drum kit is going upside down, but its still just a drum solo.

Its was great seeing Crue at an almost sold out Gund Arena. I've taken a lot of shit for liking Motley Crue. People telling me I'm stuck in the past. They were wrong. I was 10 years ahead of everybody else.